AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-05-11, 00:54   Link #61
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

While I haven't seen their sub of Saiunkoku yet, they have subbed several other projects (Karin, BPS and Uninhabited Planet Survive) and their methods are very consistent. They put a lot of work into translation and editing, but very little into typesetting and karaoke. It isn't pretty, but it is fast and high-quality. Contrary to their name, they don't suck.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 04:27   Link #62
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Yup, I like [suck] as well. They did a good job on UPS and Karin was okay as well. Meh, stop setting such high standards for fansubbers! They are feeling the pressure!

On topic, I'm not sure if I would enjoy this too much if it's just about romance complications. They are tiring to sit through.
Old 2006-05-11, 06:10   Link #63
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Suck is doing this? That's awesome! After doing such a good job on Loveless (especially at such a swift pace) I'm... one of their big fans.
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 08:12   Link #64
miaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixie
On topic, I'm not sure if I would enjoy this too much if it's just about romance complications. They are tiring to sit through.
The entire show is not dedicated to romance. its a mixed genre. It seems like it has more politics and historical than romance.
miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-13, 00:25   Link #65
Rarity

Recognizing that this anime may have some difficult terminology and some of the dialogue is rather delicate, I have some basic questions...

(1) Is Shuurei's father the head of the palace treasury or is he the librarian?
(2) Does Shuurei complain about having to buy barley or wheat, or, alternatively, is there no difference between the two in the vernacular?
(3) Is Shuurei the imperial consort or the empress, or, alternatively, is there no real distinction, given the historical context? Empress makes the relationship sound more permanent and higher status than what seems to be shown. Is the highest-ranked consort the empress, and therefore Shuurei is the empress by default? That seems to be implied by Shuurei being surprised at being addressed as ki.
(4) Does Seiran become a captain of the guard, or merely an officer of the guard?
(5) Is the emporer one of six brothers or one of five brothers?
(6) Does Shuurei say that she is there to save the emporer or to help him?

Thanks!

Last edited by Rarity; 2006-05-13 at 00:37.
Rarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-13, 01:46   Link #66
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Spoiler:
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-13, 02:39   Link #67
miaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba-chan
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarity
Recognizing that this anime may have some difficult terminology and some of the dialogue is rather delicate, I have some basic questions...

(1) Is Shuurei's father the head of the palace treasury or is he the librarian?
(2) Does Shuurei complain about having to buy barley or wheat, or, alternatively, is there no difference between the two in the vernacular?
(3) Is Shuurei the imperial consort or the empress, or, alternatively, is there no real distinction, given the historical context? Empress makes the relationship sound more permanent and higher status than what seems to be shown. Is the highest-ranked consort the empress, and therefore Shuurei is the empress by default? That seems to be implied by Shuurei being surprised at being addressed as ki.
(4) Does Seiran become a captain of the guard, or merely an officer of the guard?
(5) Is the emporer one of six brothers or one of five brothers?
(6) Does Shuurei say that she is there to save the emporer or to help him?

Thanks!
I put my answer inside the spoiler tag
Spoiler:

Last edited by miaka; 2006-05-13 at 04:19.
miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-13, 09:27   Link #68
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaka
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaka
I put my answer inside the spoiler tag
Spoiler:
Some further clarifications...
/me dons We Suck hat

Spoiler:

If there's anything you're still not sure about, you may ask either myself or teh_suck (aka Torgen, co-founder and lead translator of We Suck; don't be fooled by the "Misc." credit on our release, he did lots of translation checking on my behalf. LOTS! Also, he's a way better editor than I can ever hope to be...bah, I really should've taken that extra English writing class offered in high school in my final year...)
Yaoi_Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-13, 12:01   Link #69
Rarity

Excellent. Very helpful detail. Here are some follow-ups...

Spoiler:

Last edited by Rarity; 2006-05-13 at 12:25.
Old 2006-05-13, 15:25   Link #70
WTTrinity

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for the Kihi rank:
WTTrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-13, 15:43   Link #71
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTTrinity
Spoiler for the Kihi rank:
Spoiler for Imperial Concubine Ranking System:
Old 2006-05-13, 15:58   Link #72
WTTrinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoi_Pocky
Spoiler for Imperial Concubine Ranking System:
Spoiler:
WTTrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-13, 16:05   Link #73
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTTrinity
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-13, 16:40   Link #74
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Quote:
Excellent. Very helpful detail. Here are some follow-ups...

Spoiler:
Spoiler for Potential translation errata for We Suck encode:
Old 2006-05-13, 17:54   Link #75
Rarity

Thanks, arc. And good luck on these often subtle political translations.
Old 2006-05-14, 14:20   Link #76
Julius Firefocht

I just watched the 1st episode of this show. It's good! I wonder how such a solid show managed to slip under the radar.

Then again, maybe my personal enjoyment of ancient Chinese history and Chinese traditions and culture caused me to like the show more than I usually would.

Did anyone check out the seiyuu cast for this show? It's really impressive!
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Julius Firefocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 03:14   Link #77
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Great series. Shuurei, oh, Shuurei, Episode 2 just sealed it; you have no idea how much you totally owned Fushigi Yuugi's Miaka. Thank you for having a brain, let alone, become one of the most delightful heroines out there.

I've shut off my BL radar with this show, but

Spoiler:
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 05:35   Link #78
Akirasuto.

Actually such act is considered as an etiquette, considering the time this anime is set in. BL talks during those periods are known to be much more subtle than what's been displayed so far.
Akirasuto. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 06:42   Link #79
crystar
*yawns*

I'm totally in love with this show. Normally I'm not the type to like shows that are more.. uhh... how to say... mellow and calm. But this is just great. The character designs are beautiful (I want Shuurei's clothing!! Not that you can wear stuff like that in this time but still...), and I like the characters (Shuurei in particular... I may get a Shuurei icon soon...).
crystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-16, 11:10   Link #80
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

characters page updated

I've updated the Saiunkoku characters' faces and names page to cover characters introduced up to episode 6. The descriptions of the characters contain no spoilers.

Episode 6 was wonderful again, giving us a new turn. The summaries of the novels (link on above page) are a great resource for understanding what's going on.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, madhouse