AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-04-30, 17:52   Link #641
bloodymess

My guess is it is a sequel and you ask why ?

because first: it will have much more impact on fans than just a remake.
Second: we all know that movie 4 will be totally new.

why make something old with new ending then it will have far more impact once again if you mix it with old and me make it a new using what was done before.
So while you are using most of the time old things you make it look new and add different mining to things. making in the end something old new.

In the end all we have will be reworked story which putting less effort is very effective making only 1 movie purely new and others using what you already have is a winning ticket because it has all good points from before while it is presented like new.

As I said before I’m more interested in a sequel than watching same thing all again with better graphics. So here we have a sequel which won’t disappoint anyone because we here have as old and really memorable things form the TV series as new and differently progressing story adding to its brand new conclusion which I don’t even dare to predict.

Last edited by bloodymess; 2008-04-30 at 18:04.
bloodymess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 18:12   Link #642
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just a thought - maybe the reason some aren't disliking Shinji as much in this version isn't because Shinji's different. Maybe it's because they are - more maturity and experience = more empathy for his situation. Hmm??? Hmm.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 19:30   Link #643
ichobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Just a thought - maybe the reason some aren't disliking Shinji as much in this version isn't because Shinji's different. Maybe it's because they are - more maturity and experience = more empathy for his situation. Hmm??? Hmm.
Also because producer selectively cut out the unneeded whiny scenes of Shinji (and for the rest of characters for that matter) to fit the movie length. Despite that, we have talked for why we symphatize him for the last 3 pages or so.
ichobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:30   Link #644
Jaka
Banned

1995年に放映され一大ムーブメントを巻き起こした『新世紀エヴァンゲリオン』を、全4部構成の劇場版と して新たに製作した『ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:序 特装版』が、21.9万枚を売上げ、5/5付週間総合DVDランキングで1位を獲得。過去の『エヴァンゲリオン』DVDのなかで最高の初動売上枚数 を記録したほか、今年これまでに発売されたDVD作品のなかでも、最高の数字となった。

My god.

Now that's just fucking amazing.

Edit: Eva DVD sold over 219,000 in the first week.

Last edited by Jaka; 2008-05-01 at 08:38.
Jaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:48   Link #645
Major1138

So far, so good. I certainly liked the "new coat of paint" that things got in the movie, and I think by and large, the story hasn't suffered too much so far with translation into movie-length format. As others have pointed out, Shinji doesn't come across quite as badly this time around - although to be fair, he never really was supposed to be a bold, ambitious, and confident hero.

Like everyone else, I have no idea if this is supposed to be a sequel or what. Obviously it's not going to play out exactly the same as the original, but so far, the broad strokes of the story are fairly similar (although the ending of the movie seems to suggest some significant changes ahead - not to mention the fact it's supposed to have a different ending than the TV series or End of Evangelion). I seem to recall reading that the storyline would more or less stand on its own - that having seen the TV series wouldn't be a prerequisite to understanding what the heck is going on.

My guess is that it's going to make sense (or as much as Evangelion ever can) on its own, but those who are familiar with the originals will get more out of it than those who are seeing it for the first time - I'm not sure if that makes it a sequel or not, but there are elements in the movie which suggest the events of the TV series and End of Evangelion have already happened (others have pointed them out better than I ever could). So in a way, my take is that it's probably never going to outright say it's a sequel or not, but those who are familiar with the story will be able to read between the lines, and those who aren't will see it all "for the first time", and it'll more or less make sense either way.

That being said, I'm going to guess that even if the 4th movie will be a brand-new ending, it still won't definitively establish what the hell happens in the end. It just wouldn't feel like Evangelion if the ending wasn't ambiguous in some way.
Major1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 23:15   Link #646
cereal_killerxx

...I just watched it and I am nearly speechless. In a good way. I can't wait for the next one now XD
cereal_killerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 07:33   Link #647
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
The idea of the new movies being a "sequel" to the original series/movies through some kind of weird Xenogears-ish eternal recurrance thing seems kind of contrived to me. I myself visited the idea in a fanfic, that's how contrived. ^^; Like, it looks possible, but it seems like too easy of an answer to expect from Anno.

I just get the impression that it's just a re-envisioning of the idea.

Spoiler:
Old 2008-05-01, 10:16   Link #648
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

To those who thinks Shinji is whiny... Imagine yourself being in the centre of a nuclear explosion. Thing is, you're still miraculously still alive to experience the intense heat and pressure from the explosion. And how long did Shinji take that hit? One whole minute? How many deaths does one have to feel in order to experience the pain he went through?

In all honesty, I know very few adults who would go through that torture, let alone 14 year old kids who supposedly has no self esteem. Those screams of his during the cube angel fight sounds pretty damn painful, and that would be an understatement as he seems to dying a thousand deaths during that scene. How many of us are willing to do reboard the EVA, when we know that it's very damn likely the same thing will happen again?

Really now, I'm one of the many who found the original series both boring (in terms of fights and the plot) and incredibly annoying (in terms of Shinji). But man, Shinji right now is far more emphatizable than his previous self... by far and away. The movie makes him even look GAR, because as everyone should know, courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the will to do something in spite of it. And Shinji in this movie had courage in spades.

(Of course, if he'll still have it in the future is another story. )

And looking at the next episode preview, it seems this is not just going to be a remake. It's gonna be a whole new retelling of the series! I mean, my memory might be failing me, but I don't think I've ever seen eva 03 in that manner, or 05/06 at all. Not to mention when the heck did 02 ever skydived? While I was a bit skeptical at the direction of where this series was headed in the beginning (it seemed like just a 'remastered' version of the series), I'm totally pumped at the better written and faster paced plot this time around.

So yeah, while I would never pay to any amount of $$$ to buy the original series (even if it was cheap), from what's shown so far, I would be the first in line to get a copy of this whenever this gets released in R1. And I don't doubt that at all; it's just a matter of time before ADV or someone picks it up.

As for Asuka, nope, don't consider her as tsundere. As I have said in other thread before, if being totally dere to one person and totally tsun to everyone else constitutes a tsundere, then you might as well sign up Gendo as one in regards to Ayanami.

As for the ending, as much as I loved the little 'dream' segment in the original series, I really do like EoE's ending much better. I just hope Rebuild's ending won't disappoint, because looking at how the series is headed, we're also going to have a new one as well.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 10:39   Link #649
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Not to mention when the heck did 02 ever skydived
When the Evas were sent to fight Israfel (the body-splitting Angel) - they were airdropped from those flying wing carriers to the shoreline. However, in the manga, Unit 01 and 02 were towed to the battlefield using a high-speed flatbed train, mirrorring Unit 00 and 01's means of transportation for Operation Yashima.
Old 2008-05-01, 10:45   Link #650
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines View Post
I will be sorely disappointed.

...but I'll be ridiculously happy.

fufufufuufu.

Old 2008-05-01, 11:22   Link #651
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
It is in widescreen format Don't base your opinions on the raws that you get. Get your facts right. Better yet, buy the original/official DVD release and see for yourself. The 1280x720 "HD" raw is an upconversion from the DVD's 704x396.
Wait, that's even worse. It's faux HD? Bleh. Hopefully there'll be Bluray release (RAW or otherwise) sometime.

As for the movie itself, maybe it's a redux in the most literal form. Like maybe an actual alternate universe perhaps? Considering the TV show, that could be taken literally. Like how the collective subconscious could have paved the way for this universe since the events of this movie seems a bit more straightforward and like others have said, perhaps to a different ending. Maybe not with a cataclysm this time.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 12:07   Link #652
The Undertaker
OCTB Undercover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodymess View Post
well actually I’m thinking the same thing after noticing this
Spoiler for scene:
Omg, great discovery! I never noticed that streak of blood on the moon. This only adds to the theory that this could be a sequel~
The Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 12:39   Link #653
ichobi

On sequel
Spoiler:
ichobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 13:24   Link #654
bloodymess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichobi View Post
On sequel
Spoiler:
Spoiler for On sequel:
bloodymess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 13:55   Link #655
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodymess View Post
Spoiler for On sequel:
Spoiler:

Also, it's interesting to see that this early on, there is a strong emphasis on Shinji's role and that everything that is to come will eventually revolve around him, as if he were an actor whose lines were already written (I know it is the case, but the clues weren't laid out that soon IIRC). I don't recall seeing the original series being that emphatic on this point; heck, Gendo even seemed to not care one whit about Shinji going AWOL or leaving, at least until NERV ended up in dire straits and Unit 01 outright refused synching with Rei. Oh, well, my memory might be foggy but back then it felt like Shinji was a replaceable cog...unlike now. Why, they even edited the part at the train station, which shows that letting him go is no longer an option for SEELE and co.
Old 2008-05-01, 14:36   Link #656
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
I'm also interested by the changing of the sea colour, the man-shaped outline, the fact that the Adam/lilth (i forget) seems to be resting in a different place, the fact he woke up on something that seems like the moon, but with a red SCAR across it.

those are inconsistent with a re-adaptation, because they are simply too coincident with all the evangelion we have seen before.

in Evangelion, everything is fated.

Even the arrive of the Angels were known and what to look for.

perhaps im wrong and they are all fan service to previous versions for the old fans, i dunno.

but they seem to be occurring in scene too important to disregard.
Old 2008-05-01, 14:43   Link #657
Kisuke06
I see...

I myself think you guys are over analyzing the movies.

I wouldn't say it's a sequel nor a remake, but rather a retelling of the story.
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 15:00   Link #658
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisuke06 View Post

thats what Eva fans do

if a msg board like this was available back when it first came out. The amount of Eva speculation would have made Eva the biggest sub-forum on AS even bigger then Naruto.

I still remember people putting up web pages with thier theory of what happen in Evangelion. Someone of those reads like someone graduate thesis
Old 2008-05-01, 15:11   Link #659
Kisuke06
I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
thats what Eva fans do

if a msg board like this was available back when it first came out. The amount of Eva speculation would have made Eva the biggest sub-forum on AS even bigger then Naruto.

I still remember people putting up web pages with thier theory of what happen in Evangelion. Someone of those reads like someone graduate thesis
lol, true.

I also have read my share of theory's back on those days.
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 15:29   Link #660
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisuke06 View Post

Now, where would be the fun in NOT doing that? Eva wouldn't be Eva without its overdose of intricacies, hidden truths, mysteries and other highly debated explanations. Both the storytelling and the settings are so multilayered (either intentionally or unintentionally with Anno's use of psychological mumbo-jumbo) that one can't truly appreciate the show's realism and uniqueness lest he starts vivisecting it down to the bones and coming up with his own set of allegories.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2008-05-02 at 01:18.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie, remake