AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > KonoMini

Notices

Old 2004-04-21, 21:02   Link #201
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
Well, it's all very well to ask that, but it's not exactly something that can be described easily...
I see no reason why I should not be allowed to ask that you do so after you troubled yourself to take exception to my assertion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
How can you say that animation with all those features breaks no new ground?
I said that the show was under-animated - that not much moved around. The cel count in one episode was 2300 at a time when 4000 was an industry average (meaning that exceptionally animated shows of the time would be using maybe double the number of cels of that episode). To Heart, a roughly contemporaneous and very well-animated series, has street scenes where 6 people are all in motion at the same time.

I know all about the cardboard cutouts and everything else - I've watched the entire series several times and I also wrote a detailed review of the series mentioning the same elements you did. The overdone recapping, by the way, had more to do with Anno's departure in the middle of the project than with any budgetary crisis.

I have also seen series presenting episodes as kamishibai, a musical or a quiz show - of course these were not GAINAX series. There are plenty of interesting ideas out there. Like I said, GAINAX does not have a monopoly on that kind of thing.

I don't have a problem with people taking interest in GAINAX' work but I don't find the writing to be very good since Anno departed. Kono Mini could easily be better written. Categorically putting GAINAX on a pedestal is merely wishful thinking based on a lack of either interest in or knowledge of what else is going on.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 11:47   Link #202
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
I see no reason why I should not be allowed to ask that you do so after you troubled yourself to take exception to my assertion.
Yes, OK, I wasn't actually objecting or anything. Sorry if it came out that way.

Quote:
I said that the show was under-animated - that not much moved around.
... and then said that you couldn't consider it groundbreaking in terms of its animation. That it uses less animation than average I completely agree with.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 12:06   Link #203
abubo

Ep3

Great episode; shows a LOT of promise. It's obvious to me the show will turn a dark corner soon... the cute sidekicks are showing up.

This episode feels really well-pased. Unlike last espisode, where it was mostly "let's explain everything and introduce everybody so we'd get it out of the way", this one wasn't that clear about Akari and how she ended up in the tree "house" living with a flying squid-thingie. It was mostly about the enigma that is Akari and her special relationship with Ryu. I really dig that; it has a nice Haibane Renmei feeling to it: extraordinary people doing ordinary things in an seemingly fantastic setting. My hope for the show went up again.

I've decided I'm going to forget about Mahoromatic, EVA, and GAINAX's reputation when watching KonoMini. I'm going to watch this show on its own merit, not on its similarities to other shows. I think this way I'd enjoy it much more.
abubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 11:02   Link #204
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
Why is everyone making such a big deal about this? It might be a good show to some, while not to others.

I didn't like EVA, but there's a lot of people who did. I like Konomini, and as it turns out there's a lot of people who hate. I say, just go with it. Whatever happens, happens.

And this thread is to talk about Konomimi, could we please talk about that instead? ^_^

My thoughts on episode 3... I like Akari and Ryou. I thought I was going to hate them and they'd be boring, but they actually aren't.
AkihaTohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 11:46   Link #205
EIFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkihaTohno
Why is everyone making such a big deal about this? It might be a good show to some, while not to others.

I didn't like EVA, but there's a lot of people who did. I like Konomini, and as it turns out there's a lot of people who hate. I say, just go with it. Whatever happens, happens.

And this thread is to talk about Konomimi, could we please talk about that instead? ^_^

My thoughts on episode 3... I like Akari and Ryou. I thought I was going to hate them and they'd be boring, but they actually aren't.
I like Akari and Ryou too. Akari is stronger and more philosophical than Hikari (not to mention her "dark side"), while Ryou is more thoughtful and cool-headed than Takeshi.

I can't believe Takeshi didn't even think about the other "glowing body" after the splitting in the first episode....
EIFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 16:56   Link #206
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Yeah, why didn't he think of the other glowy thing? lol, PLOTHOLE!

Is everyone going to have some sort of darkside in this anime, that you know of? Hikari and Takeru have one, and it IS called "This ugly and beautiful world".... and it seems like Jennifer was hinting at something evil inside Mari in the second episode.
I like how Jennifer does the opening narrations. ^__^
Old 2004-04-24, 17:36   Link #207
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, I'm really anticipating Ryou's transformation now
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 18:08   Link #208
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Since Takeshi looks like Devilman Ryou'll probably look like Cutey Honey....
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 19:29   Link #209
SKoRPioN9x
Om nom nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
Since Takeshi looks like Devilman Ryou'll probably look like Cutey Honey....

I am really enjoying this series.

Spoiler:
SKoRPioN9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 20:08   Link #210
EIFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkihaTohno
Yeah, why didn't he think of the other glowy thing? lol, PLOTHOLE!

Is everyone going to have some sort of darkside in this anime, that you know of? Hikari and Takeru have one, and it IS called "This ugly and beautiful world".... and it seems like Jennifer was hinting at something evil inside Mari in the second episode.
I like how Jennifer does the opening narrations. ^__^
Well.... I wouldn't call it plot hole. Takeshi has things to worry about like Hikari and his transformation. I would just say he is quite thoughtless.

As for Jennifer and Mari, I think Jennifer just noticed that Mari likes Takeshi (or at least, has some feeling for him) and encouraged her to confess. (Side note: You can marry your cousin in Japan.)

According to Hikari and Jennifer, it seems like Hikari and Akari assumed their current forms and picked up some common senses and knowledge around the time of arrival. It will be interesting to see how the extinction theme will tie up to the plot.

For my personal taste I hope the plot won't become way too dark.... Unfortunately it's likely to happen.
Old 2004-04-24, 21:13   Link #211
LinChoiSin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIFY
For my personal taste I hope the plot won't become way too dark.... Unfortunately it's likely to happen.
that's definitely what i'm looking for ,the darker the better!
LinChoiSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 03:54   Link #212
JediNight
キズランダム

My belief is that the "Ugly and Beautiful World" is the world outlooks of Takeru and Ryou. Ep1 begins with Takeru being very cynical in talking about current world events, etc. Meanwhile we see that Ryou has a more positive outlook on the world and reveres life and people.

Hence the Ugly vs Beautiful World.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 04:08   Link #213
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Why are you so sure that he is going to transform? I can't remember for certain if we saw his transformation in the OP, but I don't think so. You should consider that he might not transform. After all, Hikari put her power into Takeshi when she needed (needed?) a guardian, but Akari seems to have put her power into a watermelon thief since her needs are different. Perhaps because she has her little sidekick creature, Ryou isn't going to get to transform.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 06:56   Link #214
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Why are you so sure that he is going to transform? I can't remember for certain if we saw his transformation in the OP, but I don't think so. You should consider that he might not transform. After all, Hikari put her power into Takeshi when she needed (needed?) a guardian, but Akari seems to have put her power into a watermelon thief since her needs are different. Perhaps because she has her little sidekick creature, Ryou isn't going to get to transform.
because in episode 4
Spoiler:
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 09:40   Link #215
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIFY
According to Hikari and Jennifer, it seems like Hikari and Akari assumed their current forms and picked up some common senses and knowledge around the time of arrival. It will be interesting to see how the extinction theme will tie up to the plot.

It's just that Jennifer seems to know more then what she says all the time. Or acts like it anyway. It doesn't mean anything to Jennifer if Mari like Takeshi...

I actually want it to become a bit dark, because when I first heard of the show, I was expecting it.
Old 2004-04-25, 09:46   Link #216
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinChoiSin
that's definitely what i'm looking for ,the darker the better!
Same here. If the show *doesn't* get dark, I may just give up on it.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 09:58   Link #217
EIFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
There is another (much bigger) sidekick robot (?).... I think that one will be Hikari's.

In my opinion Hikari and Akari are quite equal in terms of their guardians and abilities.

Ep.4 is a very heart-warming episode. Hikari and Akari have very different attitudes and environments. I will be interesting to see how their characters will develop. Judged from the pace so far I will guess there are more than 13 episodes.... Again I can be wrong.

I really don't want to see Hikari and Akari fight in the end....(cry)

Some hints in ep.4 worth noticing:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-04-25, 10:21   Link #218
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

I want it to get dark in ways. It's so fitting for the theme!

And ifany character dies in this series, Mari would be first to go ^___^
Old 2004-04-26, 01:40   Link #219
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Anyways, I've watched up to episode 04, I might as well join in on the conversation. Episode 04 had a whole lot of yapping and mushy scenes, and some jokes that are good for a giggle. I don't whether Jennifer Portman is there to spoon feed us "information" or to deliberately lead us off to the wrong track. I wonder how far Takeru and Ryou will take their relationship between their respective alien girls. The two alien girls seem to be extremely naive, but I guess they have an ulterior motive behind that. Now I still don't know what the hell is going on, so I'll just sit back and watch people wax theory/philosophy in a vain attempt to deduce what this anime is all about...

EDIT: Just a question, how long will this series last?

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2004-04-26 at 01:51. Reason: Added a question...
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 07:41   Link #220
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Anyways, I've watched up to episode 04, I might as well join in on the conversation. Episode 04 had a whole lot of yapping and mushy scenes, and some jokes that are good for a giggle. I don't whether Jennifer Portman is there to spoon feed us "information" or to deliberately lead us off to the wrong track. I wonder how far Takeru and Ryou will take their relationship between their respective alien girls. The two alien girls seem to be extremely naive, but I guess they have an ulterior motive behind that. Now I still don't know what the hell is going on, so I'll just sit back and watch people wax theory/philosophy in a vain attempt to deduce what this anime is all about...

EDIT: Just a question, how long will this series last?
I believe 13 episodes. I think that after episode 5 or 6, things will definetely pick up.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote