AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2009-10-13, 19:13   Link #1961
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi29al View Post
Plus the way Erza defeated wasnt cool or creative like i was hoping, it just kinda happened.
"Just kinda happened" would be if she had brute-forced through Midnight's reflector with the power of RESOLVE and using two hands. That's what I was afraid would happen, but instead, she found and exploited actual weaknesses in his power. I'm pretty happy with the chapter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak_and_dagger
all jokes aside, the chapter was rather weak. I'd have preferred if Natsu defeated Midnight.
Why? He already got Cobra, and he's probably getting the final boss too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
Magic's got an element of Rock/Paper/Scissors to it. Erza was very well suited to fighting Midnight, whereas Natsu, for example, would have gotten owned pretty bad - barring some random protagonist protection. Though what really clinched it was her analytical ability.
I dunno, Natsu's brute strength and hand-to-hand fighting style would probably let him tear Midnight a new one, if it occurred to him to turn off the fire. He doesn't wear twistable armor either. I agree about analytical ability making the difference though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste
Anyway, this fight followed almost exactly the same pattern as Erza's fight against against the samurai lady in the tower, so I guess that's how she's going to be doing things.
The difference being Erza's victory over Midnight had some actual explanation, and made sense.
Quote:
Incidentally, both of these opponents (samurai lady and Midnight) had been hyped up as undefeated and invincible, presumably to explain why Erza should have any trouble with them and make her look stronger. Unfortunately, this plan seems to have backfired because the fans just see this as the author hyping up a weak opponent, and Erza still seems kinda weak.
I think the problem with Ikaruga was the opposite of what you describe: She was owning Erza so completely in the swordfight that it looked impossible for Erza to win. And then when Erza did win, there was no real explanation for it. You might say ditching the armor gave her a speed boost, but A) that would imply she has no speed-boosting armor, and B) earlier Ikaruga cut up Erza's default armor without Erza noticing, indicating a lack of perception speed, not just body speed.
Quote:
It'd probably work a lot better if we saw them beat up Natsu first or something, just to show that they're dangerous in real terms.
That's what happened with Aria during Phantom Lord, but you don't need to do that every time. Besides, the Oracion Seis did beat up Natsu in the first battle, along with everyone else. Erza was the last hero standing, and only went down after getting triple-teamed. That's a good enough showing for me.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 19:37   Link #1962
Wrath88
Kissing...

Midnight was a cheap knockoff of Accelerator, lol. And suddenly switching to illusion attacks, I guess he didn't have a proper backup plan against people who can counter his first trick.
Old 2009-10-13, 19:43   Link #1963
BlueDo

There are many knockoffs of Accelerator.
All of them are supremely inferior due to the necessity for them to be beaten through conventional means

Well... Midnight's fight was rather fast.
There is a chance he may be back soon again, just like his previous fight with the guy whose name I can't remember right now.
BlueDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 20:08   Link #1964
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

I thought the chap was good, Erza has always been then the scissors to other's rock and paper.

She did break through Midnights two main attacks pretty quickly because she had the exact counters but the illusion was just pure tailoring to her glass eye.

I'm more interested in Wendy's dragon slayer history.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 22:23   Link #1965
Xhokhusmak

I see 3 ass-pulls in this chapter. =\

Ugh I'm kinda tired of Erza fighting.
Xhokhusmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 23:57   Link #1966
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Victory page aside, the chapter was good...Gerard is watching, so Erza can't be weak, and Midnight's exceeded his allowed number of chapters, he had to go down soon. The illusion part was pretty odd, I always thought mages are restricted to one field of magic each (like, Gray can't ex-quip, Lucy can't freeze stuff and Natsu can't use stellar spirits).
As for Midnight's loss, it was natural and I called it last week xD...anyone with pure physical strength can make short work of him
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 01:25   Link #1967
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhokhusmak View Post
I see 3 ass-pulls in this chapter. =\
Which are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel
The illusion part was pretty odd, I always thought mages are restricted to one field of magic each (like, Gray can't ex-quip, Lucy can't freeze stuff and Natsu can't use stellar spirits).
Midnight mentioned in an earlier chapter that he could make illusions by "warping the path of light." This shouldn't enable simulating pain though, unless he's controlling other stuff to poke the victim at the same time. Other than that, Gerard knows a wide variety of magic, so I guess it is possible to learn areas outside your specialization.
Old 2009-10-14, 01:57   Link #1968
Xion Valkyrie

Yeah, some Erza love ^^
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 02:48   Link #1969
Clarste
Human

Didn't they say that Makarov was a master of all magics or something like that? I imagine they specialize for the same reason people specialize in real life: it just takes less time to become an expert if you focus on one thing. I'm sure there are some exceptions though, like Dragon Slayer magic, which probably can't be learned normally.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 07:15   Link #1970
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

I find it funny that Erza said to always show kindness after slashing Midnight a new one . That was just wonderful
Old 2009-10-14, 07:54   Link #1971
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Victory page aside, the chapter was good...Gerard is watching, so Erza can't be weak, and Midnight's exceeded his allowed number of chapters, he had to go down soon. The illusion part was pretty odd, I always thought mages are restricted to one field of magic each (like, Gray can't ex-quip, Lucy can't freeze stuff and Natsu can't use stellar spirits).
As for Midnight's loss, it was natural and I called it last week xD...anyone with pure physical strength can make short work of him
Mages can use more than one field of magic. For example Makarov, or Phantom Lord's guild master. Also one of the extra chapters floating around is Natsu and Lucy trying to learn some transformation magic from Mirajane; Natsu has little difficult transforming into Lucy. Mages just tend to specialize in one field as mastering one field is difficult, and they need to eat, pay rent, etc. It's kinda like how you can learn to be both a plumber, and an electrician, but most just pick one and make their living off of that.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 15:58   Link #1972
SoulCorpse
WhO PuT BaKOn In My SoUP!

satisfying chapter. i wasn't really drawn into it. but erza kicked but, while that pitiful exscuse for an ex-final boss/childhood friend/mysterious guild member lies their beaten-up from an off screen fight.

p.s. how many characters in fairy tail are going to have Gerards face. it's like his face is a dollar store mask that everybody has.

In the begining their was Cupcake, and Cupcake was with Gir, and Cupcake was Gir. With out Cupcake everything that is would not be.
SoulCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 16:15   Link #1973
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncl View Post
p.s. how many characters in fairy tail are going to have Gerards face. it's like his face is a dollar store mask that everybody has.
So far there's just two, unless you count Sieglein separately from Gerard. Of course, more is possible.
Old 2009-10-14, 16:45   Link #1974
Lummie

Gerard is like a cockroach, no matter how many you kill.... they'll always return with more. The same goes with this Fairy Tail's cockroach.
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 20:56   Link #1975
Maji

Send a message via AIM to Maji Send a message via MSN to Maji
I was pretty happy with how Ezra handled her fight and enjoyed it, her battles are always enjoyable. She is one of my favorites ^^;

I agree with that you just can't get rid of Gerard and wish he hadn't been brought back. Hopefully he gets killed off for good sometime soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing Natsu in action, hopefully again soon.

My Anime/Manga Blog: http://wanderingronin.com
Looking for writers/contributors!
Maji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 01:56   Link #1976
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I forgot what does Natsu's scarf do again?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 02:04   Link #1977
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
I forgot what does Natsu's scarf do again?
Hide the scar on Natsu's neck. Be a momento of Igneel.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 02:41   Link #1978
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Hopefully he gets killed off for good sometime soon.
Bet he's gonna sacrifice himself in an outworldly attempt to foil an evil master plan and fill the dramameter for two chapters...
I don't really mind having Gerard around, but I just wish he was more happy, all the good FT characters have a bright side to them except this guy, he's always so tragic.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 05:04   Link #1979
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Bet he's gonna sacrifice himself in an outworldly attempt to foil an evil master plan and fill the dramameter for two chapters...
I don't really mind having Gerard around, but I just wish he was more happy, all the good FT characters have a bright side to them except this guy, he's always so tragic.
If he was happy all the time he wouldn't make that good of a villian IMO(he's not really the sadistic type so the maniacal archetype doesn't fit); plus given the circumstances he was reintroduced as "good"(or rather, not really evil), him being all smiley-faced wouldn't have fit.
Old 2009-10-16, 11:13   Link #1980
Wrath88
Kissing...

What would be interesting is if Gerard faced off against Urtear in the future.

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen