AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

View Poll Results: Kannagi - Episode 13 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 68 47.55%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 20.98%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 17.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 7.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.80%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 2.10%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.40%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-28, 13:28   Link #21
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Yeah, it looks pretty solid. Hopefully we will get more JunxNagi moments too as they make one funny couple.
Old 2008-12-28, 14:36   Link #22
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
It did not feel complete. But it has potential to have sequel.

The animation is great. I can see where the money poured into.
Old 2008-12-28, 19:23   Link #23
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

Great ending. LOL @ Daitetsu and the answering machine, <3 Tsugumi's role & final reaction, and @ the Nagi fanservice. Above all at hope for S2.
Old 2008-12-28, 20:13   Link #24
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Nope no subs yet, as for dvd sales Kannagi is doing very well, check for yourself.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...0&postcount=58

Anything over 10,000 sold per volume is doing very, very well. A second season is a matter of when not if.
I'd think that the studio needs at least a specific figure for a guaranteed sequel. To use Negima!'s example, the target was, I think, 50000 preorders of the Ala Alba ODA to get another OAV and 100000 to get a full series.
Old 2008-12-28, 21:34   Link #25
Ruezu

Send a message via MSN to Ruezu
Throughout the whole anime I feel sorry for Tsugumi.
Old 2008-12-28, 22:02   Link #26
Itlandm
Porcupine

Yes, poor Tsugumi. This was the worst. I really wish she hadn't needed to see that. It was not funny... OK, it was funny. But funny should not need to hurt that much.

Then again, this is what happens to girls who wait for the boy to notice them. It does not work that way.

Also, I really had not expected that kind of fanservice. Yes, we remember that this is supposed to be a romantic comedy. But I had not expected it to go that far. Anime is often less rowdy than the manga it is based on.
Old 2008-12-28, 22:27   Link #27
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

It's like the way that it was explained in Angelic Layer. Childhood friends stop being friends by a certain age and start dating. She basically needed that little nudge to tell her to move on since she's obviously not dating the guy and Jin has more than sibling feelings for Nagi.

I thought that scene was funny too. Poor girl.
Old 2008-12-28, 23:25   Link #28
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

This series suffered from not knowing what to do with itself after a certain point.

It started well, it ended pretty nicely, but everything in between was this awful mess that just coasted on the shoulders of comedic relief.

That's not to say the comedy wasn't well done. It was. When this show wanted to be funny, it was pretty damn funny. It knew what to do with its characters and just got straight to the point.

The problem is that as soon as it decided to take itself seriously, you begin to second guess everything and wonder, "Should I be expecting something funny now? Am I supposed to be laughing here? Wait is she crying?" The imbalance totally offsets the shows means to go from one field to the other, especially since they practically dropped the entire angle of her being a goddess and started running with this 'gotta catch all dem impurities' angle, which was just plain awful. That whole deal with the magical girl staff was just stupid imo.

I mean it's hard for me to really criticize the show because it did funny good, and it did serious good too, it just didn't know when to go from one to the other, or if it should at all.

Ah well. That's how these shows go I guess. I'll just be happy to say I did enjoy this show funny or serious, though I personally preferred it when it got serious.

Oh, and for once, I'd like for a show to end on a serious note, especially if we're subjected to three straight episodes of said tone. I HATE it when a show just feels the urge to put shit that 'resets' the entire situation in a few seconds like it did in this episode. I can only hope that if there's a second season, it continues with Jin still feeling the same for Nagi, otherwise I'd be crushed.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2008-12-29, 00:39   Link #29
iczelion74
Lost Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
It did not feel complete. But it has potential to have.
Yeah I gave it a 9 as it did indeed feel incomplete, as it should as it was just an arc ending in the manga. If another season gets announced Id give it a ten. If not than this was a big tease.
Old 2008-12-29, 01:05   Link #30
relentlessflame

*Administrator

My main comment about the episode (and the series, upon reflection) is that you get the feeling throughout that the team working on the show really cares about the show and its characters. It feels like they're always giving it their all, like they really want us, as viewers, to experience the story with the same passion they feel for it, especially regarding Nagi herself. That sort of passion and love of the craft and the product is infectious and, more than anything, is really the reason why Kyoto Animation shows in particular have gotten so much acclaim over these last years. Now, the director has managed to infuse the same passion in a new team, and I think that's pretty remarkable. Although I can sort of see Master Chibi's point that the show didn't always seem settled on its identity (perhaps the source material also suffers from a bit of the same problem?), whatever it did attempt it did well. Somehow the last episode makes me feel both like I've known the characters forever, and also that there's a lot left to learn -- it rewards the journey, but also looks ahead to the journey still to come. It's a very rewarding ending, I think.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the promised DVD bonus episodes. I'm expecting comedy/omake material, but we'll see!
Old 2008-12-29, 01:35   Link #31
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
.I mean it's hard for me to really criticize the show because it did funny good, and it did serious good too, it just didn't know when to go from one to the other, or if it should at all.
I actually felt that the show did a great job of transitioning between comedy and drama. In my opinion, Kannagi knew when it should have comedy and when it should have drama. And as you said, it did funny and serious good.

Anyways, the last episode (of the first season) was perfect for me. You got to see some cute and touching moments between Nagi and Jin. The music in the anime, which I rarely notice without trying, was beautiful throughout the episode. Can't wait for season 2.
Old 2008-12-29, 01:39   Link #32
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
I can only hope that if there's a second season, it continues with Jin still feeling the same for Nagi, otherwise I'd be crushed.
First 3 chapters of Volume 4 are...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I'd think that the studio needs at least a specific figure for a guaranteed sequel. To use Negima!'s example, the target was, I think, 50000 preorders of the Ala Alba ODA to get another OAV and 100000 to get a full series.
That's SHAFT, those figures were probably a joke if anything. A-1 Pictures otoh who did Kannagi are about to launch a sequel season to Birdy which sold poorly compared to Kannagi.

Tetsuwan Birdy DECODE *1,788 (3+) (A-1 Pictures)

Kannagi has easily gone past the profitable mark, you see plenty of series that sell 3k per volume that get sequel series, Drugua is getting a sequel next month, Vampire Knight, two ZnT series for another. 10k is considered the "magical" mark from what I've seen and a show is considered a hit when it reaches it. Sure Kannagi isn't on a Code Geass, Macross Frontier, Gundam 00 or Lucky Star level but it's still better than the majority of anime shown.

For A-1 Pictures I would think that for Kannagi, as well as their biggest hit so far in Ookiku Furikabutte (which avg 19,000 across it's entire release) they are waiting on enough source material to do second seasons.

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-12-29 at 01:54.
Old 2008-12-29, 01:48   Link #33
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Well, I'm pretty happy with how that ended. Sure, it's one of those "life goes on" sort of endings and though you do have a few questions in the end that have yet to be resolved, I think the major concern within the last 3 episodes wrapped up rather nicely. Characters displayed their strengths (like Tsugumi's capacity to care for Jin and Jin's level of tenacity when spurred on) and we got a good amount of comic relief at the end to give a good amount of laughs as well as a heartwarming sort of "welcome back."

Still, as everyone has said here, poor Tsugumi. Always the victim of bad timing and conspiring by others throughout the show, but she takes her lumps in such a way that she's really good at gaining the audience's sympathy without having them dismiss her bad luck as a worn out trope.
Old 2008-12-29, 01:50   Link #34
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmkharuhiism View Post
I actually felt that the show did a great job of transitioning between comedy and drama. In my opinion, Kannagi knew when it should have comedy and when it should have drama. And as you said, it did funny and serious good.
When I say transition, I mean from episode from episode, not in just in one episode alone. These past three episodes threw everyone off because the handful that came before it where solely comedic offerings, one or two actually being filler (though still enjoyable).

Again, I'm not actually angry or upset over the matter, but if the show could take hold of it jumping back and forth and just go at straight forward with a better balance, the end result would likely be amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
First 3 chapters of Volume 4 are...

Spoiler:
Spoiler for Chuu:

:V

Old 2008-12-29, 02:00   Link #35
Westlo
Lets be reality

Well if you want to know the romantic situation you're probably better off asking in the manga thread, though it's the end of V6 and V7 that has the stuff you want and than "that" chapter came out.

Also I wonder how the legion of Tsugumi fans here would react to the part which Jin felt guilty over Tsugumi.
Old 2008-12-29, 02:02   Link #36
Master Chibi

I don't necessarily want to know about the situation, just whether or not it's actually romantic at all really.

Old 2008-12-29, 02:16   Link #37
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
The author of the manga Kannagi came from school of TYPE-MOON, masters of bittersweet storytelling. You can feel the general direction of the story even from 13 episodic anime, hence people moanings/bitching as to why suddenly reversal of mood of the story in drastic manner. Since I am a TYPE-MOON fan, it did not bother me at all but I can see why most fans were perplexed at turn of the feel.

However if anyone pay any good attention on the background, any person will quickly realize it is actually a very serious story with comedic moments to mask the deep feelings in it. Just like Nagi herself, she is actually a very deep and complicated but most people will stop at her looks and her humorous personality.

Tsugumi is the only female who is consistent with her feelings, IMHO.
Old 2008-12-29, 03:20   Link #38
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Man, that was an AWESOME ending. Tsugumi's reaction was priceless .

Unfortunately, the ep also obviously points out how Nagi has little romantic feelings for him and ofcourse how he feels about her. There will be alot of pain and broken hearts in the next season of kannagi thats for sure!

edit: I am gonna really miss watching this OP sequence ;_;
Old 2008-12-29, 03:37   Link #39
FlyByNite

Seeing Tsugumi's expression change when she was them on the floor and then her head tilt into the doorframe then back to the other side and then back to the side again before running away stunned was so priceless... lol

Although I am glad that snapped Nagi out of her soft-voice and back into true Nagi
Old 2008-12-29, 03:39   Link #40
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

Going by announced DVD release schedule, is there any indication of any dvd only special episodes?

link to ANN

Comments in the linky seem to imply there are more than one
Closed Thread