AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-03-31, 17:44   Link #3401
Sol Falling

Man, reading through all these impressions I kinda have to wonder: what? Why are you guys even Zenkichi fans? Are you even Zenkichi fans? Why do you even care about him, is there even anything you like about him in the first place? Why do I see so much anger and disappointment based on people continually projecting their own thoughts and feelings on him, when it has been demonstrated for, what, 90+ chapters now that he is not in fact actually an 'average' or 'normal' personality? Do people just go, "welp, I've got zero chance of ever sympathizing with Medaka, so projecting all my feelings I will ever have for this manga onto Zenkichi is obviously my only option"? Zenkichi has some unique and somewhat unusual parts to his personality as well, just like every character Nishio has written for this story, so honestly I fail to see why people continue to insist on treating him like an 'everyman' avatar for themselves in the story.

What is so outrageous actually about Kumagawa becoming the Vice President? Does Zenkichi actually want that position? Is he even trying for it? If Zenkichi only chose to join and participate in the Student Council for Medaka's sake in the first place, then does he actually want to take on a leadership role over other people and greater non-Medaka related responsibilities? I don't see the point of continually obsessing over Zenkichi becoming more 'respected' or 'equal' or 'awesome' or whatever. What would be the point really? You do realize that in this world there do exist people who are more suited and choose to be background workers, supporters, and/or sidekicks/tagalongs. That's basically what Zenkichi is, what he is determined to be even, and there's no reason to disrespect or get all pissy over him just because he chooses to do so. Kumagawa is Medaka's enemy, so as someone with Medaka's best-interest as his first priority why wouldn't Zenkichi be approving of Kumagawa being defeated and roped into being their Vice President? Isn't that simply rational?

You guys should get over what Zenkichi really is for this story. He's just a normal human with an abnormal determination to be part of the life and world of some utterly absurd and inhuman characters. That's all he will ever be--a part, a sideshow--because as an average human there is obviously no way he could overtake the real extreme, superhuman personalities. Kumagawa as Medaka's near equal and opposite is very much fit to serve as her adjutant and direct subordinate. Zenkichi, who has to try his damnedest to even be in the same league as her, obviously is and already should be satisfied with having even achieved as much as he has already.

Hell, looking at the way Zenkichi interacts with characters like Mukae and Shiranui, don't you think he's already pretty independent and satisfied? He's got friends, a personal life and interests outside the circle of Medaka's influence. Nothing's keeping him away from them, he merely chooses to value Medaka above those things out of his own principles and motivations/feelings, not because he's hoping for anything or making any sacrifices he expects to get a return on. There's nothing wrong with Zenkichi's character, he is simply a side-player--all of the interesting, more dynamic and awesome characters are the actual forces in the story, the one's who it is fun to watch and follow and pay attention to.

On that bent, I think this is also something people should get through their heads by now: Ajimu was Kumagawa's girlfriend, not (never) Zenkichi's. He loved her, and she also confirmed that she 'fell' for him, amirite? What else would be the relationship between a middle school Student President and his relief-attendant Vice President supporter? 'Lip Service' is something you use to tease someone you like, after all, isn't it? ;P Ajimu coming to school is important/exciting because she's one of the big player's, one of the equals on the level of Medaka and Kumagawa, but it's not interesting because of some non-existent potential to provide unhelpful character development for Mr. Side-character Zenkichi-kun. Frankly, there's no way in hell Ajimu's participation in the story could remotely raise up Zenkichi's importance or relevance any more than where it has always been.

lol, hell, on that note, I know it's already been foreshadowed that Ajimu looks at both Medaka and Kumagawa as petty little dustflecks, but I can't help hoping that her arrival in the story might actually be due to Medaka the 'first love' taking her man away from her and going and making him the Vice President. That would be awesome. Kumagawa and Ajimu's flirty little S&M session was one of the best parts of these past chapters recently.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2011-03-31 at 17:59.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-31, 18:23   Link #3402
Soji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Man, reading through all these impressions I kinda have to wonder: what? Why are you guys even Zenkichi fans? Are you even Zenkichi fans? Why do you even care about him, is there even anything you like about him in the first place? Why do I see so much anger and disappointment based on people continually projecting their own thoughts and feelings on him, when it has been demonstrated for, what, 90+ chapters now that he is not in fact actually an 'average' or 'normal' personality? Do people just go, "welp, I've got zero chance of ever sympathizing with Medaka, so projecting all my feelings I will ever have for this manga onto Zenkichi is obviously my only option"? Zenkichi has some unique and somewhat unusual parts to his personality as well, just like every character Nishio has written for this story, so honestly I fail to see why people continue to insist on treating him like an 'everyman' avatar for themselves in the story.

What is so outrageous really about Kumagawa becoming the Vice President? Does Zenkichi actually want that position? Is he even trying for it? If Zenkichi only chose to join and participate in the Student Council for Medaka's sake in the first place then does he actually want to take on leadership over other people and more general responsibilities? I don't see the point of continually obsessing over Zenkichi becoming more 'respected' or 'equal' or 'awesome' What would be the point really? You do realize that in this world there exist people who are more suited and choose to be background workers, and/or supporters/sidekicks/tagalongs. That's basically what Zenkichi is, what he is determined to be even, and there's no reason to disrespect or get all pissy over him just because he chooses to do so. Kumagawa is Medaka's enemy, so as someone with Medaka's best-interest as his first priority why wouldn't Zenkichi be approving of Kumagawa being defeated and roped into being their Vice President? Isn't that simply rational?

You guys should get over what Zenkichi really is for this story. He's just a normal human with an abnormal determination to be part of the life and world of some utterly absurd and inhuman characters. That's all he will ever be--a part, a sideshow--because as an average human there is obviously no way he could overtake the real extreme, superhuman personalities. Kumagawa as Medaka's near equal and opposite is very much fit to serve as her adjutant and direct subordinate. Zenkichi, who has to try his damnedest to even be in the same league as her, obviously is and already should be satisfied with having even achieved as much as he has already.

Btw, I think people should get this through their heads by now: Ajimu was Kumagawa's girlfriend. He loved her, and she confirmed that she 'fell' for him, right? What else would be the relationship between a middle school Student President and his relief-attendant Vice President supporter? 'Lip Service' is something you use to tease someone you like after all, right? ;P Ajimu coming to school is important/exciting because she's one of the big player's, one of the equals on the level of Medaka and Kumagawa, but it's not interesting because of some non-existent potential to provide unhelpful character development for side-character Zenkichi-kun. There's frankly no way in hell Ajimu's participation in the story will raise up Zenkichi's importance or relevance any more than where it has always been.

Hell, I know it's already been foreshadowed that Ajimu looks at both Medaka and Kumagawa as petty little dustflecks, but I can't help hoping that her arrival in the story might actually be due to Medaka the 'first love' taking her man away from her and going and making him the Vice President.
First of all keep in mind Ithat respect your opinion and I like to read the opinions of others (I say this for the simple fact that with my lv English I dont want that appear otherwise.)
Going back to your post.
I agree that Kumagawa love Ajimu but they not are a cople at least the manga dont tell us this if you remember that part you said after she say that she say that she kidding (or something similar) so it was only Kumagawa to be in love.
Now returning to Zen.
Yes Im a Zen fan but not for the reason mentioned by you. I like the character for his iron will and how he endure to all the harship that medaka makes him throughout for so long.
And I like that unlike many characters in this manga he make freind to minus, plus, special and normal.
With regard to its normality .. I do not agree here because throughout all the manga there are several indications that it is not so normal. Just take the example with King that failed with his abnormality and is not something that a normal should be able to do. Plus throughout the story he has attracted the most powerful abnormal like Medaka, Shirunai, Mukea and it seems that also had a good relationship with Najima that thank to what we know she seem Godlike lv. I dont know how you call someone like that ... but I would not call someone that with one stomp can createmini earthquake normal.
In addition, when we saw him against Kumagawa Zen is not so normal psychologically as well.. I would say that Zen is more of abnormal that the abnormal themselves. For this reason I am disappointed with the lack Zen development , because there are several clues that say it is not normal but we have not clue on what he really is .
Soji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-31, 18:27   Link #3403
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Spoiler:
Bravo. Hats off to you because you pretty much hit on everything I see and feel in regards to his role in this story and the world he tries to just manage to survive and keep up in.

This post probably won't change the overall attitude in regards to how the overall fan base sees Zenkichi but this is easily one of the best posts on the subject.
Old 2011-03-31, 19:57   Link #3404
silver001

Quote:
Spoiler for wall:
well you are right and i totally agree with you on most of the points except for the Ajimu factor. She obviously meant something to Zen to the point that when he almost died got she interfered. She gave him the ability see and told him to come back after the student council elections. Also dont forget that she seem kinda bummed out that zen didnt remember her. If i remember correctly when zen talked tried to ask about Ajimu, his mom quickly shot it down, maybe it was cuz they were in a battle but i think there was more to it than that.

switching gears, i guess i wanted zen to be something he might never be. i mean common its a shounen manga at least IMO make the lead male something more than JUST normal. its been implied that he isnt but i m hoping that ajimu might help with that department.
silver001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 00:35   Link #3405
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Quote:
Spoiler for wall of awesome text:
Dropped the mic on 'em. Awesome post.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 02:03   Link #3406
Westlo
Lets be reality

I will never understand why on this forum at least people here want to project themselves through Zenkichi. Couldn't you aim higher than mediocrity?

Quote:
Spoiler:
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 08:43   Link #3407
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Spoiler for Sol Falling's awesome post:

Absolutely this. I could not have said it better myself. Excellent post, Sol Falling. It's nice to see that some people have some perspective when it comes to Zenkichi's character. Honestly, the fact that he accepted Medaka's decision to make Kumogawa her VP in no way demeans his character. He never had any aspirations towards that post and indeed only got involved in the Student Council because he wanted to help out Medaka. She even mentioned long ago she wanted someone who disliked her as VP. Zenkichi is loyal to her, but isn't her thrall, as some suggest. Otherwise, he would never be friends with Shiranui.

Anyways, again, great post Sol Falling.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 11:13   Link #3408
zeando
maybenotimome

Spoiler for spoiler image:

Last edited by zeando; 2011-04-01 at 11:47.
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 14:48   Link #3409
Tenchi Hou Take

Wow this series has gone down hill, Medaka gains another fanboi, Kumagawa becomes boring and another anti-climatic end to an Arc. Lol at people caring about Kumagawa being Vice prez, I'd be more worried about Kumagawa being the next judo guy with an extremely dwindling plot relevance. Man the author really shitted on Kumagawa's character, took away his awesome power and gave him and shit power, took away his good personality and gave him a boring one. Zenkichi's always been bottom rung but the most important, it's his thing.

Anyway the next arc pretty much screams Zenkichi centric I mean Aijimu and Shiranui's relative. Both characters have more relevance to Zenkichi than they do to Medaka. I mean Zenkichi is pretty much Shiranui's only friend and I don't need to explain Aijimu's relevance. I could care less if Zenkichi's becomes more important plot wise but is in fact heavily hinted that he does play a larger scale in the grand scheme of things, heck he already plays a large part in the grand scheme of things, Medaka's psyche is so dependent on him it's disturbing.

Last edited by Tenchi Hou Take; 2011-04-01 at 15:04.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 15:02   Link #3410
Last Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeando View Post
Equal sign with a slash through it....so...unequal?

He's a Minus alright, just like his sister. And looks like Ajimu is entering Hakoniwa as a Minus too. I wonder what power she's going to use?
Last Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 15:28   Link #3411
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Carpet View Post
Equal sign with a slash through it....so...unequal?

He's a Minus alright, just like his sister. And looks like Ajimu is entering Hakoniwa as a Minus too. I wonder what power she's going to use?
It's the unequivalence sign, that's used sometimes in maths. Anyway I don't see this series going on after this arc. I mean Aijimu pretty much screams final villain and the rating for this are pretty bad. I mean after the last chapter it's dead last. I mean it got beat by Hokenshitsu no Shinigami which always comes last in recent weeks, always. I hope it can go out with a bang but with the endings of all current arcs being mediocre at best I'm not hopeful.
Old 2011-04-02, 01:04   Link #3412
Doc Astaroth

Doc Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 03:07   Link #3413
Soji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Astaroth View Post
You know by reading your post I realized something , of course the manga may always make me wrong but ...
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2011-04-02, 10:14   Link #3414
Doc Astaroth

My guess is...

Spoiler:
Doc Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 10:45   Link #3415
Sixth
Hu Tao

I still don't get it about the bookmarker ability.

Is it make you become minus/weaker or the victim going to share the same stat with the user of this ability?

I really like the minus screw. It can be stretched. That alone made all weapon look pathetic.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 11:16   Link #3416
Soji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Astaroth View Post
My guess is...

Spoiler:
Mmm, is certainly interesting thought...
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2011-04-02, 11:25   Link #3417
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Wow I had no idea people hated / disliked Zenkichi.

Ah well~

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 11:26   Link #3418
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

I wonder when Medaka will change back to her previous outfit...
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 14:10   Link #3419
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

Wait what? Who's the main character of this again? Side character? What?
What the hell am I reading?
This has been what I've been thinking after I read this manga. Inconsistency in the genre, characters and story.
First few chapters shows a typical student council, then comes the fighting and then goes , plus minus and whatever.
Well putting a normal human being into this bunch of "ABnormals", Zen is really "out-of-place", he should've been abnormal too .
I don't really know what's the story all about, who's character that should have development, and what's really the deal with this school "domination".
Old 2011-04-02, 14:56   Link #3420
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haru~ View Post
Wait what? Who's the main character of this again? Side character? What?
What the hell am I reading?
This has been what I've been thinking after I read this manga. Inconsistency in the genre, characters and story.
First few chapters shows a typical student council, then comes the fighting and then goes , plus minus and whatever.
Well putting a normal human being into this bunch of "ABnormals", Zen is really "out-of-place", he should've been abnormal too .
I don't really know what's the story all about, who's character that should have development, and what's really the deal with this school "domination".
The story is told from Zenkichi's point of view so he's kinda the main character as is Medaka. Medaka has more of a central role as most of the story revolves around her where as Zenkichi is more an active observer. He's "normal" but he's the second strongest member of the council including current kumagawa since he can kick Kumagawa's ass with or without parasite seeing, since kumagawa's current ability is that crappy.

He's hinted at having some sort of abnormality or something similar as his birthday came up twice as the password for the door that separated the abnormal abnormals but so fair he simply surpasses most abnormals with the sheer strength he gained from constant training and his general crazy preparedness.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council