Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-07, 05:03   Link #1
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Silent Scenes

By silent scenes I'm not talking about a silent film type. Specifically, a series that uses a lot of silent scenes between characters and events to portray emotions and feelings where words would be superfluous and perhaps would just wreck the scene entirely. Naturally such scenes would be so well crafted that just seeing it, almost everything it needs to convey comes into place.

I'd try and give examples but I'm having trouble remembering some, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 2011-05-07, 05:14   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

How about Kara no Kyoukai?
Old 2011-05-07, 05:58   Link #3
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I really should have been watching that show for ages. People keep recommending it but it keeps slipping under my radar. Might as well give it a go. How many movies and how long running time?
Old 2011-05-07, 06:14   Link #4
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I really should have been watching that show for ages. People keep recommending it but it keeps slipping under my radar. Might as well give it a go. How many movies and how long running time?
Kara no Kyokai has 7 movies, but I haven't see the long running time, sorry.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2011-05-07, 06:19   Link #5
jedinat

I mostly watched the first two films and didn't like it... didn't care for the already established relationships; and a protagonist that is already acclimated to circumstances and interested in a boring guy. After the depressing themes of the second film I dropped it. When I first heard about it I was really interested in a female version Tohno Shiki too... =/

As to the TC's request... Koi Kaze perhaps.
Old 2011-05-07, 06:37   Link #6
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Seven movies. Five of them are only an hour long. Two of them (the 5th and the 7th) are a full two hours long.
Old 2011-05-07, 06:55   Link #7
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I've seen Koi Kaze and yes, loved it. Gonna check out KnK in a while.
Old 2011-05-07, 11:44   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Have you seen Zettai Shounen? The director, Tomomi Mochizuki (House of Five Leaves) is as good as anyone I've seen in anime at using both quiet and silence to dramatic effect.
Old 2011-05-07, 12:14   Link #9
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I'd say Shinigami no Ballad, a 6 episodes ova series built on mourning and grievance, it had an overall calm and silent (I'd say discreet) approach.

Also Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto (aka Someday's Dreamers) has many of those moments.

As well as Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora , a different tale with different themes, but in the same setting and a similar mood.
Old 2011-05-07, 15:00   Link #10
mecharobot

Cross Game? It always tries to set the mood of telling more than is said. At least I thought of it that way.
Old 2011-05-07, 15:20   Link #11
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

He's already seen Cross Game, i'm afraid.

I would also recommend Texhnolyze if you haven't seen it already.

Last edited by Haak; 2011-05-07 at 16:36.
Old 2011-05-07, 18:47   Link #12
GreatTeacherKen

The 80s movie Angel's Egg has virtually no dialogue.
Old 2011-05-07, 19:18   Link #13
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Pale Cocoon does a great job of this.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-05-07, 20:40   Link #14
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
He's already seen Cross Game, i'm afraid.

I would also recommend Texhnolyze if you haven't seen it already.
I'm surprised to hear this recommendation from you.

But yes, I highly recommend this anime.

To give you an idea, the main character doesn't even speak a word in the first episode.
Old 2011-05-08, 04:17   Link #15
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I'm surprised to hear this recommendation from you.
Is it because i gave it a low rating? Sometimes i just do that if the anime isn't to my taste. It's not because I hated it. It's simply that I couldn't appreciate all the good stuff it had for some reason even though I could recognize that it was a good story, so in the end i got nothing out of it. My ratings are really more about how much i enjoyed it rather than what I think it may objectively deserve. So i'd be willing recommend it to someone who might enjoy it. In fact i'd recommend it to anyone anyway since it's definitely not your typical anime.

Last edited by Haak; 2011-05-08 at 04:28.
Old 2011-05-08, 08:00   Link #16
Dawnstorm

Noir: I saw a German dub (TV broadcast) that wavered between passable and charmingly inane, and it didn't ruin the mood, which was basically conveyed through body language and Yuki Kajiura's brilliant soundtrack.
Old 2011-05-09, 06:24   Link #17
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Incidentally I've seen almost everything mentioned in this thread. Loved Shinigami no Ballad, Someday's Dreamers, Pale Cocoon, Angel's Egg.

Didn't really like Texhnolyze when I tried it some years back but I might give it another shot. I tried the first episode/movie of KnK and liked it so might as well try the rest. Gonna try Zettai Shounen when I have time. Thanks.
Old 2011-05-09, 06:34   Link #18
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Bleach keeps coming to mind, but I really can't recommend it to anyone...oh, but Higurashi has quite a few. Scary stuff.
Old 2011-05-20, 10:54   Link #19
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Currently going into my third viewing of Reckoner's recommendation, Colorful.

The two-hour feature film makes extensive use of silent sequences to show rather than tell viewers what's going through the protagonist's mind. The cinematography of this animated feature rivals that of live-action movies, with painstakingly executed animation that is amazingly naturalistic (observe how the characters run and walk), in a style not seen since Satoshi Kon's movies.

Quote:
Upon reaching the train station in the afterlife, a dejected soul is informed that he got "lucky" and would be given another chance at life. He is placed in the body of a 14-year-old boy named Makoto Kobayashi, who has just committed suicide. Watched over by a neutral spirit named Purapura, the soul must figure out the greatest sin he had committed in his former life before his time in Makoto's body runs out. He also has a number of other duties to fulfil, such as understanding what led Makoto to suicide in the first place and learning to enjoy his second chance at life.
Old 2011-05-20, 11:12   Link #20
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Since theres a lot of what I might have recommended already on the table, I'll just add Cowboy Bebop though I think you might have already seen it.