AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-14, 06:01   Link #141
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Apparently, according to a couple of other posters and the official site, I'm wrong and Inga is a boy. Which angers me because of the ridiculousness/nonsensical nature of it. Why have a little boy that transforms into a mature female form? That's very... Sailor Stars-ish? *Sighs* I will never understand the Japanese...
Why the hell that make you angry?
Does Inga is even Human?
She/he could be evil spirits or something, and his double gender could be representing some kind of metaphor.
Old 2011-10-14, 06:08   Link #142
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Does Inga is even Human?
She/he could be evil spirits or something, and his double gender could be representing some kind of metaphor.
Wanted to post the same thing. If Inga is a supernatural being, there is no need for having a fix gender.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 06:12   Link #143
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Wanted to post the same thing. If Inga is a supernatural being, there is no need for having a fix gender.
Maybe Inga possessed the blond in the opening scene. Blond was also prob dead but regained consciousness.
Old 2011-10-14, 09:00   Link #144
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was very disappointed by this first episode. That was as unimpressive as it gets, I expected so much better than that. Maybe my expectations were just too high, heh.

The murder case was even worse than the shittiest case in Gosick -which is saying something-, and the characters rather unappealing, save for the bishounen...panda....women...thing (bonus point for limiting her/his supernatural ability so much). The murderer's motive, the only thing that wasn't glaringly obvious, turned out to be laughable. The hints to a greater conspiracy were interesting, though. If they focus on that rather than on stand-alone cases, it could be good.

PS: Is that hobo Hei in the opening?
Old 2011-10-14, 09:33   Link #145
miketyson

Kanon: you noticed that too? About half the scenes in the OP seem to gently remixed from old Darker than Black OPs and EDs. I was expecting to see the guy sitting on a stoop drinking from a flask but I guess he's not quite that far gone.

I was underwhelmed enough to actually watch it twice. On a second watch it actually seemed a bit better than the first time around, but it's hard to articulate what seemed different. My biggest issue overall is that the first episode just isn't that compelling and I have no feeling for where it's going and what it's trying to be.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 11:22   Link #146
Last Sinner
Don't Call Me Bro

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Honestly, I was quite into this first episode. I liked the visuals - nowhere near as mind-blowing as some other shows this series, but I think a show like this needs a more stripped-down style. The use of abnormal colours and the atmospheric music gives a real quirky feel - which I was quite into. Opening 15 seconds was a good hook. Inga's genderbending was freaking hilarious! It just gave that episode a real edge and acted as a good tool to shift the mood from one extreme to another via that oddball moment. Rie has a lot of spunk to her and seems a capable person that will make for some good tension/progression. Whatever caused what seems like a contract between Yuuki and Inga is intriguing. The ED theme is REALLY catchy! Honestly, I had a lot of fun watching this episode. I think it's revealed enough to whet the appetite and has better in store.

What irked me - The character animation is REALLY jagged! I'm sometimes wondering whether some character's chins would be effective ice-picks. The whodunnit for this ep was a bit weak, but it's early days - they need to hold back bigger ones for later. Most of all, I'm confused as to why there is yet another war-torn/post-war version of Japan here...there's a real pile of them building up this season...I hope there's a valid reason for why UN-GO is set in one and that it balances it and the whodunnit.

Overall - quite liked it. Now I understand why Siren Visual licensed this well before Episode 1 aired. Hopefully their hunch this was a winner is confirmed in the episodes to come, because I like the overall package on offer here. Nice to know Seiji Mizushima still knows how to have a good time in the director's seat.

And since everyone seems to be talking about it - Inga's genderbending is rather mild in comparison to some of the traps/fujioshi moments I've seen in recent anime. I think it's quite funny.

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 14:32   Link #147
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It's like a Sci-fi Detective Conan. Sold.
Old 2011-10-14, 14:45   Link #148
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Does Inga is even Human?
Why does it make me angry? That's like asking me why do I have a personal preference or opinion on ANYTHING in LIFE. So I don't like the concept of there not being a fixed gender... So what? That's MY preference. If you don't like it, then don't worry yourself about it. Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
No one ever said there was a NEED for a fixed gender on a character, that is just what I would prefer. It's purely a matter of personal likes/dislikes. Of course, this is not MY show, so I can't do anything about it other than deal with it -- which I'm totally fine with. *Shrugs*
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 14:50   Link #149
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Being a small boy does offer some advantages. Inga can act out and follow Yuuki around everywhere without problems as a boy. Inga can become a woman to drive off any competition for Yuuki when those females present themselves.

It's the best of both worlds for Inga.
Old 2011-10-14, 15:05   Link #150
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Hard to tell if Inga-chibi is even presented as a boy or just a strange girl.
Old 2011-10-14, 16:11   Link #151
Haak
Dehydrated

Quote:
Why does it make me angry? That's like asking me why do I have a personal preference or opinion on ANYTHING in LIFE. So I don't like the concept of there not being a fixed gender... So what? That's MY preference. If you don't like it, then don't worry yourself about it. Damn.
I actually find it kinda amusing that someone would be actually angry about that. I can maybe understand being annoyed, but angry? For some reason I just keep imagining a guy screaming "DAMN YOU, STOP CONFUSING MY GENDER PERCEPTIONS!!!!" at random transexuals (probably because me and my friends do that as a running gag to one of our other friends who's a transexual)

Anyway I'm gonna go with the theory that Inga's a hermaphrodite.
Old 2011-10-14, 21:02   Link #152
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I actually find it kinda amusing that someone would be actually angry about that. I can maybe understand being annoyed, but angry?
I was over-exaggerating when I said "angry". I meant to say annoyed. Sorry, I keep forgetting how literally some people might take every single term I use/that this is the internet.
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 03:10   Link #153
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Detective anime. Yup , we'll see if it's at least a bit better than the previous detective anime which wasn't great (imo).
At least here we don't have a moe detective like Kami thing & Gosick.

Anyway , i had some Detective Conan's vibes , some chara design looks like it too.
Well , first case was for the intro. We'll see if it's get better.
So far , i'm positive for this anime.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 04:02   Link #154
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I was very disappointed by this first episode. That was as unimpressive as it gets, I expected so much better than that. Maybe my expectations were just too high, heh.

The murder case was even worse than the shittiest case in Gosick -which is saying something-, and the characters rather unappealing, save for the bishounen...panda....women...thing (bonus point for limiting her/his supernatural ability so much). The murderer's motive, the only thing that wasn't glaringly obvious, turned out to be laughable. The hints to a greater conspiracy were interesting, though. If they focus on that rather than on stand-alone cases, it could be good.
The resolution was the worst of all. They slandered an innocent, murdered woman to cover up a crazy murderess and an embezzling war profiteer. How is that beautiful?

And it seems to be an ongoing, habitual thing for the heroine's father. And she approves of it. And we're supposed to sympathize with her?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 04:46   Link #155
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Yeah , you got a point. I was like "huh really?" when they talked about that.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 06:41   Link #156
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The resolution was the worst of all. They slandered an innocent, murdered woman to cover up a crazy murderess and an embezzling war profiteer. How is that beautiful?

Exactly. Is the whole government so corrupted in that setting?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 07:45   Link #157
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Maybe standalone episodes are not this series strong point, maybe when we get to the meat it'll blow me away, maybe the characters will stop being so bland, and the VAs will stop dialing in the performance, maybe this is just a one-off terrible episode and things will be better next week.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 08:32   Link #158
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

And it seems to be an ongoing, habitual thing for the heroine's father. And she approves of it. And we're supposed to sympathize with her?
Yeah but that was pretty much the ONE THING that wasn't blatantly obvious and the one thing that makes UN-GO stand out from countless other shows that use this detective setting. For once, a show with a detective MC is portraying the ugly truth behind the job - most of the time, the detective is fighting a completely futile battle in that his deductions are only going to cause him pain for he knows the truth and yet has to live in a false world. I love it. It's a plus point to the show, not a minus.

The resolution makes the show great - by being unfair. There is more than meets the eye. The MC doesn't have any power whatsoever. He literally is the defeated detective. And on top of that, he has to deal with a borderline crazy being for a companion. I am psyched to see his motivations behind even bothering to do this shit. It can't be as simple as self-satisfaction. And I also love the fact that unlike most MCs, he doesn't give a damn if justice was served but isn't exactly condoning the wrongdoing either (He did hang up on Mr. Fabricator, after all).

I agree with you in as much that there is noting remotely beautiful about fabricating a messed up story to frame an innocent duty woman to cover up for a corrupt official and a murderess - but I am frankly amused that the girl thinks it's beautiful. The MC definitely doesn't agree - but he doesn't outright go against it either. Interesting stuff.

Basically, had they gone ahead and resolved it with a victory for the MC in ala mainstream detective fiction style, or had they gone ahead and resolved it with MC acting resentful and rebellious to the rampant corruption, then this show would have been freaking nothing but a banal repetition. But with the resolution, with the MC being neither supportive nor repulsive to the corruption, and at best with some sublime apathy to it all, the show gets a whole new dimension. And it opens up vastly more possibilities than any detective show has ever ventured in imho.

It remains to be seen just how deep they will go but as unimpressive as the mystery itself was in the first episode, the resolution and the setting have me wishing for more and quite honestly, a straight up "mystery" like the one in the episode was probably the best way to open the show if it is indeed going to deal with the themes I think it is going to deal with. Because a straight up case is the best way to delineate the setting and to contrast the different modus operandi of the characters.

Before I started making this post, I wasn't all that impressed but in the midst of making this exposition, I found myself liking what I saw much more. Good thing, for I was almost at the brink of losing all motivation to come discuss stuff. Even if most of the discussions are redundant and pointless bickering, they help you see a show from a different angle. Cool beans.

Quote:
I was over-exaggerating when I said "angry". I meant to say annoyed. Sorry, I keep forgetting how literally some people might take every single term I use/that this is the internet.
You sound mad
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 09:58   Link #159
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
I am psyched to see his motivations behind even bothering to do this shit. It can't be as simple as self-satisfaction.
I think a clue as to why the defeated detective bothers came in the opening minute of the series. Remember, the detective is lying on the ground wounded. He asks or is told that he died. The person he's talking with is Inga, the one who becomes his companion. (I don't remember which form Inga was in -- boy or woman.) I think Inga offered the dead or dying detective a deal. Something like "Let me accompany you on your investigations and I will save your life & return you from the dead." In my theory, Inga gets some pleasure or sustenance from questioning the criminals. So it's a mutually beneficial arrangement. Inga gets what he/she desires and the detective gets to live a little longer.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 14:17   Link #160
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Yeah but that was pretty much the ONE THING that wasn't blatantly obvious and the one thing that makes UN-GO stand out from countless other shows that use this detective setting. For once, a show with a detective MC is portraying the ugly truth behind the job - most of the time, the detective is fighting a completely futile battle in that his deductions are only going to cause him pain for he knows the truth and yet has to live in a false world. I love it. It's a plus point to the show, not a minus.

The resolution makes the show great - by being unfair. There is more than meets the eye. The MC doesn't have any power whatsoever. He literally is the defeated detective. And on top of that, he has to deal with a borderline crazy being for a companion. I am psyched to see his motivations behind even bothering to do this shit. It can't be as simple as self-satisfaction. And I also love the fact that unlike most MCs, he doesn't give a damn if justice was served but isn't exactly condoning the wrongdoing either (He did hang up on Mr. Fabricator, after all).
You miss my point. I don't mind that the government is corrupt. I don't even mind that the MC is resigned to being "defeated".

What I mind is that the POV character, the one we're supposed to sympathise with, finds it beautiful. Because she's a spoiled little daddy's girl, and the life of luxury she takes for granted was bought with such falsehoods. She doesn't even try to rationalise it by claiming it's for stability and the greater good.

So I have nothing but contempt for her, and if I can't like the characters, I don't feel like watching. Unless maybe ep2 is about her dying in a fire. I'd watch that.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aikawa, bones, mizushima, mystery, noitamina