AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2017-05-26, 07:41   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv155
*Graphic Designer

[3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes

Full title: Fire Emblem Echoes: Another Hero King (JP), Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (EN)

Remake of FE2, Fire Emblem Gaiden.
Released on 4/20 in Japan and 5/19 worldwide.

Confirmed to be the last main FE title on 3DS.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2017-05-26 at 12:51.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-26, 07:45   Link #2
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv155
*Graphic Designer

So, the game has been out for a week so I assume some people already played (and finished) it.

I personally completed the main campaign a few days ago and made a spoiler free review.
In a nutshell, it was quite enjoyable although its remake nature definitely made clear it had outdated map design.

If IS decides to make more remakes of that caliber, that'd be quite interesting, moreso since it appears the producer for Echoes is interested in Swords of Seals remake.
Old 2017-05-26, 09:32   Link #3
serenade_beta
☆げしげし☆

Overload of payed DLC ruins the experience (I'm sure it is still not that bad, but I was reminded of BandaiNamco at least once), but other than that, a great game. None of the sexual harassment and self-pleasuring that could be seen in the past two games, but I was too lazy to compare the staff to see how many worked on both games anyways (not including programmers and the people that don't really have a say on the game content).
Oh, and of course, artwork finally improved.

Oh, and Celica's stupidity in Chapter 4 was fairly amusing.
Spoiler for and:

The 3D models still sucks. Especially during cutscenes that (for some reason) move the models, and mostly any character after class changing.
I keep telling them to borrow some expertise from the Monster Hunter staff. (<- Not a realistic expectation though)

Overall, game was good, though being released one month into Monster Hunter pushed the game back up until now. I bought it upon release (the JP version of course), but just finished it and haven't even had time to write my own review yet.
That said, I will be wary of the worsening DLC and not buy the Switch game when it first comes out.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-26, 12:48   Link #4
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv155
*Graphic Designer

To be really honest, I couldn't really blame Celica for that part of the plot

Spoiler for Chapter 4:

As for DLC, I'm more pissed off that half of the content is pretty much some cash grab without actually considering them as mere cheap convenience for people who don't have time to grind.
Even the liberating army DLC would have been much better if they weren't priced like that.
Old 2017-05-26, 13:15   Link #5
Shadow5YA

Personally I have low expectations for any 3D modelling on the 3DS and think Monster Hunter models are ugly too.

With that said, I think the animations are pretty decent, and probably the best it has ever been for a 3D Fire Emblem game. Mae's victory pose in particular is great.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-26, 13:34   Link #6
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv155
*Graphic Designer

I'm particularly fond of the Gold Knight animations. The follow up attack look good, and it isn't just about the rider wielding their lance, but also the horse putting its weight in its hooves.
Old 2017-05-26, 23:10   Link #7
serenade_beta
☆げしげし☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
To be really honest, I couldn't really blame Celica for that part of the plot

Spoiler for Chapter 4:

As for DLC, I'm more pissed off that half of the content is pretty much some cash grab without actually considering them as mere cheap convenience for people who don't have time to grind.
Even the liberating army DLC would have been much better if they weren't priced like that.
Spoiler for Celica:

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2017-05-27, 02:52   Link #8
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I really like the game. Although I haven't finished it, my only complaint is the NA release does not have the Japanese voice acting in it. I'd much prefer it, because while the English voice acting is actually quite good, it's painfully obvious how about half a dozen people reprised about 20 character roles or so.
Old 2017-05-27, 13:02   Link #9
Applehell

Quote:
So, the game has been out for a week so I assume some people already played (and finished) it.

I personally completed the main campaign a few days ago and made a spoiler free review.
In a nutshell, it was quite enjoyable although its remake nature definitely made clear it had outdated map design.

If IS decides to make more remakes of that caliber, that'd be quite interesting, moreso since it appears the producer for Echoes is interested in Swords of Seals remake.
Nice review. Seems to be more or less in line with general census. Though you seem a bit more favorbly to the story than most since there isn't any complaints about Ceilca.

Sadly, I won't able to pick this up until next month as money is tight at the moment.

Last edited by Applehell; 2017-05-27 at 13:23.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 13:23   Link #10
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv155
*Graphic Designer

Well, I'd be lying if I didn't raise an eyebrow at some specific part of the game, but when you consider the context and the character POV, it makes sense. At the very least, the flawed decisions of certain characters didn't faze me after thinking more about it.

Unfortunately, the English version made some line more blunt or "silly" looking, which didn't help.

But frankly, Echoes' plot is in line with the GBA titles, which were pretty straightforward. Nothing mind blowing, but definitely refreshing for their simplicity when you compare with the other 3DS titles.
Old 2017-05-27, 13:53   Link #11
Applehell

Yeah, I don't mind simple tales myself either. I've always favored execution over how original and twisty a story is because it doesn't inherentily mean it is good. I think I should be able to still enjoy Echoes plot if the rest of it holds up in spite if the few caveats it might have.

On the next remake, I would personally like to see IS tackle FE4. Though I can why they would be hesitant to do that. The plot in that game had a lot controversial aspects even most games today wouldn't touch.

I'am down with a SoS remake tho, if IS can maintain the same quality as they did with Echoes. Hopefully they will do some serious rebalancing in that game. And who can no to more Hidari art?

Last edited by Applehell; 2017-05-27 at 14:12.
Old 2017-05-28, 11:22   Link #12
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv155
*Graphic Designer

So I've finished the post-game dungeon, and while it sure adds some interesting tidbits, I'm a bit disappointed.

Spoiler for Chapter 6:
Old 2017-05-28, 11:39   Link #13
Shadow5YA

Will there ever be a time where I need armored Knights? With their limited range, movement, and low speed, and near nonexistent Res, I feel like there aren't many maps where I have needed a physical wall.
Old 2017-05-28, 11:48   Link #14
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv155
*Graphic Designer

Armor knights are handy in both Alm and Celica's route, but only early on where you need something to hold a chokepoint.
But around chapter 3, yeah, you barely use them whatsoever.

You can always grind Lukas or Forsyth to Armor Knight, then class change him with the villager fork and turn him into a mercenary.
Valbar OTOH isn't worth reclassing at all as far as I could see.
Old 2017-05-28, 11:54   Link #15
GDB

Quote:
So I've finished the post-game dungeon, and while it sure adds some interesting tidbits, I'm a bit disappointed.

Spoiler for Chapter 6:
I've seen a lot of speculation that they're going to tie most of the games together via bonus dungeons like this as a way to explain enemy lore. It gives me hope for a 4/5 remake, as that's where it's speculated that a lot of loredump for the Risen/Dreadlords will occur.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-28, 11:54   Link #16
Shadow5YA

How important are support bonuses to a character? I've been thinking about dropping Valbar, but I've been hesistant because he supports Leon.
Old 2017-05-28, 11:59   Link #17
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv155
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I've seen a lot of speculation that they're going to tie most of the games together via bonus dungeons like this as a way to explain enemy lore. It gives me hope for a 4/5 remake, as that's where it's speculated that a lot of loredump for the Risen/Dreadlords will occur.
Well, it would certainly be a great addition in general. I personally would like more stuff about old heroes, Athos,Ninian, Nils and Nergal, but also Zephiel if they do 6 and 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
How important are support bonuses to a character? I've been thinking about dropping Valbar, but I've been hesistant because he supports Leon.
Boosts from supports aren't huge by any means, but they can change a lot of things depending of the chars (for instance, my Archer Kliff had nearly no issue with accuracy as long I kept him around Tobin).

Honestly, support conversations are super easy to get in this game. You just need your units to be within 2 tiles range.
Old 2017-05-28, 21:54   Link #18
Applehell

Anyone brought and tried out the Overclass DLC?

I'd like know if they are worth the money.
Old 2017-05-28, 23:34   Link #19
shadow1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Anyone brought and tried out the Overclass DLC?

I'd like know if they are worth the money.
i have them but haven't actually tried them yet not exactly that far into the game
Old 2017-05-29, 00:50   Link #20
serenade_beta
☆げしげし☆

My overall thoughts (as I could think of) (spoilers):
http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/2017/05...-thoughts.html

(Just screenshots of some characters)
http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/2017/05...haracters.html

Annoying end-game dungeon (defense negation, hordes and hordes, stupid ??? HP, dark dark dark). Not exactly sure if I plan to suffer through this or just go play other games.