AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2016-07-15, 21:00   Link #1
Chosen_Hero

Pokémon Go (iOS/Android)

Quote:
Pokémon Go (stylized as Pokémon GO) is a free-to-play location-based augmented reality mobile game developed by Niantic and published by The Pokémon Company as part of the Pokémon franchise.

The game allows players to capture, battle, and train virtual creatures, called Pokémon, who appear throughout the real world. It makes use of GPS and the camera of compatible devices. The game is free-to-play, although it supports in-app purchases of additional gameplay items. An optional companion Bluetooth wearable device is planned for future release, the Pokémon Go Plus, and will alert users when Pokémon are nearby.
I personally still can't play this game so I don't have much to say about it since the Caribbean still waiting for their turn. But at least those of you that have it can now post your experiences or tips or grievances (surprised there still wasn't any thread for this game).
Old 2016-07-15, 21:11   Link #2
bakato

I downloaded the app and I'm stockpiling pokemon until I get some info on how to raise them. There's really not much to do in the game.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-15, 22:07   Link #3
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

So uh, we're gonna be free of team wars here, right?
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-15, 22:37   Link #4
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Mark my post, this game will be the end of mankind...I think it's the first game I've encountered that goes beyond being a colossal time sink and just straight up changing the life of people. Of course, I'm talking about roamers, people who walk around in search of pokemon in the most unlikely of places...my gym now doubles as a poke gym, with regulars opting to claim ownership and bitch about teams instead of, you know, working out.

While the game seems okay, it might be a bit too grindy (a friend of mine told me he was farming magikarps, needed ~370 candies just to evolve one o_0) and definitely has a degree of danger (same friend catching zubats while walking down the stairwell out of a friend's house). From my experience (as I've seen others play), it is highly addictive and fun, and IMO the best part is that it includes the G1 pokemon - seeing how I never got past G2, that's a plus.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-15, 22:45   Link #5
Chosen_Hero

Tracking Pokémon:

Spoiler for video:

Eggs tips:

Spoiler for video:

Catching a Pikachu as a starter:

Spoiler for video:

How to play tips & tricks:

Spoiler for video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
I downloaded the app and I'm stockpiling pokemon until I get some info on how to raise them. There's really not much to do in the game.
Don't know how much it'll help but here a catching and gyms explanation video:

Spoiler for videos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Seafoam View Post
So uh, we're gonna be free of team wars here, right?
Where there's a will, there's a way.

I would like to ask those of you playing: What was the basis for choosing the team you chose? I'm personally torn between choosing (when it is finally activated) Mystic because:

1) Blue is my favorite color.

2) Blue version was my first Pokémon game ever.

And choosing Instinct:

1) Because Zapdos is my favorite of the three legendary birds.

@Kafriel

Just think about it as natural selection doing its job.
Old 2016-07-15, 23:52   Link #6
Marcus H.
Electric Dragon Loli

I'm here, waiting for PokeGo to show up in the PH.
By the way, is this a paid app?

Spring 2017: Uchouten Kazoku S2 (2/12), Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata flat (6/11), Danmachi: Sword Oratoria (1/12) and Sakura Quest (6/25).
Spring 2017 LN Challenge: Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records. (8/12)
2016 Catch-up: Amanchu! (1/12) and Durarara! x2 Ketsu.

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 40. Completed: 303. Plan to watch: 39.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-15, 23:57   Link #7
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I'm here, waiting for PokeGo to show up in the PH.
By the way, is this a paid app?
Free with microtransactions, but so far it seems that you get most of what you need by playing (someone that is actually playing please correct me if I'm wrong about the microtransactions).
Old 2016-07-16, 00:23   Link #8
IceHism

I play this. It becomes a grind at lvl 20s and higher
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 02:30   Link #9
Kakurin-san
私は影の国の女王、異境、魔境の主

Since July 6 the Nintendo stocks listed at the Tokyo Stock Exchange has risen by 93%. All because of Pokemon GO.
Kakurin-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 05:30   Link #10
Marcus H.
Electric Dragon Loli

F2P? Alright! And the painful wait continues. >_<

Spring 2017: Uchouten Kazoku S2 (2/12), Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata flat (6/11), Danmachi: Sword Oratoria (1/12) and Sakura Quest (6/25).
Spring 2017 LN Challenge: Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records. (8/12)
2016 Catch-up: Amanchu! (1/12) and Durarara! x2 Ketsu.

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 40. Completed: 303. Plan to watch: 39.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 07:41   Link #11
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Oh god, I'm afraid to touch this game. In the past week, I've had several friends asking me out of the blue if I play this (many of whom aren't even gamers), and I've heard all kinds of stories of how much of a time sink this game is, how it's practically changing peoples' lifestyles to get their Pokemon and such, and how there's even a lot of places trying to capitalize on the popularity rush. I've got my hands full playing Granblue Fantasy while trying to stay a regular in Destiny and playing through SRW OG The Moon Dwellers. And that's just with games; I have anime and TV shows I want to watch. Then balance all that with work. (no wonder I don't have time to read light novels) I don't think I can afford to get sucked into this game.
Old 2016-07-16, 07:54   Link #12
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
This is my biggest problem with the game. If you aren't lucky enough to sit on top of a spawn point or hot spot for 8+ hours a day, you might get to play for 10 minutes a day while you go out for lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Mark my post, this game will be the end of mankind...I think it's the first game I've encountered that goes beyond being a colossal time sink and just straight up changing the life of people. Of course, I'm talking about roamers, people who walk around in search of pokemon in the most unlikely of places...my gym now doubles as a poke gym, with regulars opting to claim ownership and bitch about teams instead of, you know, working out.
Most of those people would otherwise just be sitting on their asses browsing the internet for banality or zoning out watching TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
and definitely has a degree of danger (same friend catching zubats while walking down the stairwell out of a friend's house)
That's just Darwinism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Oh god, I'm afraid to touch this game. In the past week, I've had several friends asking me out of the blue if I play this (many of whom aren't even gamers), and I've heard all kinds of stories of how much of a time sink this game is, how it's practically changing peoples' lifestyles to get their Pokemon and such, and how there's even a lot of places trying to capitalize on the popularity rush.
I started playing casually solely because it's a good ice breaker.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 09:44   Link #13
Chosen_Hero

^Pokémon Go might just be the best wingman ever.
Old 2016-07-16, 12:14   Link #14
BlankVoid

Send a message via AIM to BlankVoid Send a message via MSN to BlankVoid
got bored. between bugs, server instability, lag, and just common developmental oversights, cant really bring myself to play much anymore

- past lvl20, it becomes a huge grind. not much incentive to level
- evo for some pokemon is just ridiculous (100 for stage 3's, 400 for magikarp??)
- the amount of common to rare pokemon is ridiculous. i have yet to find a charmander/pikachu. absolutely no way to increase encounter rate.
- no rewards for catching/transferring evolved pokemon. transferring a pidgeot shouldnt only give 1 candy...
Old 2016-07-16, 13:13   Link #15
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankVoid View Post
got bored. between bugs, server instability, lag, and just common developmental oversights, cant really bring myself to play much anymore

- past lvl20, it becomes a huge grind. not much incentive to level
- evo for some pokemon is just ridiculous (100 for stage 3's, 400 for magikarp??)
- the amount of common to rare pokemon is ridiculous. i have yet to find a charmander/pikachu. absolutely no way to increase encounter rate.
- no rewards for catching/transferring evolved pokemon. transferring a pidgeot shouldnt only give 1 candy...
But they got other updates that should fixed the problem and you have to remember that you have other regions come out as well, I think Johto should be out in a month or two.
Old 2016-07-17, 00:06   Link #16
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
For now I'll continue watching the craziness that has been the Pokemon Go phenomenon. Mostly since it's not officially out in Canada yet so I can't actually be tempted to do anything with it .

I think it's mostly something I'll keep in fun and try not to get carried away. If nothing else it sure has shown the popularity of Pokemon.
Old 2016-07-17, 07:01   Link #17
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I'm kinda dumbfounded of the number of news since the game was launched with people getting into places they shouldn't to find Pokemon, disturbing other people, getting into accidents, getting robbed, disrupting work and finding dead bodies.

Maybe sticking to a regular Pokemon game might be for the best.
Old 2016-07-17, 11:55   Link #18
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Anything more popular than Church is always evil.
Old 2016-07-17, 12:51   Link #19
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I'm kinda dumbfounded of the number of news since the game was launched with people getting into places they shouldn't to find Pokemon, disturbing other people, getting into accidents, getting robbed, disrupting work and finding dead bodies.

Maybe sticking to a regular Pokemon game might be for the best.
I'm not really surprised in the slightest. Haven't people with phones already been leading to some of the oddest news since before this even came out?

Just look at all the newsworthy selfies that have happened over the years. Guys taking a selfie before a shark attacks them, trying to take a selfie with a tornado in the background or people just outright getting killed to take a great selfie.

This shouldn't surprise anyone in all honesty . People can get really stupid when they focus on something that isn't about safety. Driving, going near cliffs, walking onto private property, walking into traffic, etc. This game just creates a new avenue for people to be reckless with .
Old 2016-07-17, 14:52   Link #20
barcode120x
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'm not really surprised in the slightest. Haven't people with phones already been leading to some of the oddest news since before this even came out?

Just look at all the newsworthy selfies that have happened over the years. Guys taking a selfie before a shark attacks them, trying to take a selfie with a tornado in the background or people just outright getting killed to take a great selfie.

This shouldn't surprise anyone in all honesty . People can get really stupid when they focus on something that isn't about safety. Driving, going near cliffs, walking onto private property, walking into traffic, etc. This game just creates a new avenue for people to be reckless with .
Quoted for truth.

I'm a casual Poke player, I'm only level 6! I caught my Pikachu while at work in the hospital last night :3

"Avoiding the truth but trying not to lie, and it's just terrible."

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote