AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2017-02-13, 15:37   Link #1
Dop
Mmmm....

Jiro Taniguchi 1947-2017

BBC: One of Japan's best-known manga artists, Jiro Taniguchi, has died aged 69, his publisher has announced.
Mr Taniguchi, who was known for his elegant line drawings and intricately-constructed landscapes, died on Saturday.
His art earned him an international following and some of his work was made into a television series.
His death was announced by Casterman, his publisher in France, where his work was particularly popular.
"Casterman must sadly announce the death of Jiro Taniguchi on 11 February," the company said on its website, expressing "deep condolences" to his family.

I really like his work, at least the ones that I've read which have been published in English. Just hope that they get around to translating Koduku no Gourmet at some point.

A good starting point if you've never read any of his work might be "A Distant Neighbourhood", about a middle-aged businessman who gets on the wrong train the morning after the night before, and winds up in his old home town. Visiting the family grave something strange happens, and he winds up back as his 14 year old self, the year his father left them, as he relives that summer.

Most recent thing of his I read was last year's "Guardians of the Louvre", which, while a publicity piece published by the Louvre, was still a damn good story and taught me some things I didn't know.

Anyone else here read his work?
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-13, 18:00   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I agree that "A Distant Neighborhood" is a good place to start. For me it's arguably the quintessential seinen manga, and one of the finest manga ever written.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-13, 18:06   Link #3
Flower
In harmony with the flow

Hmm ... always nice to find more talented mangaka I have not had the opportunity to familiarize myself with! Will give Distant Neghborhood a try....

Thanks for the thread, and may he rest in peace.