AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-06-13, 19:19   Link #1
Chosen_Hero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
[PS4/XBO/Steam] Monster Hunter World





Observations from a hands off demo:

Quote:
It is important to say upfront that the large landmass here (called the “New World”) isn’t an open world, but it still has a lot going for it and, most importantly, it finally does away with zoning -- the brief, action-breaking loading screen that greeted players whenever they wandered between the segmented zones of previous MH games.
Quote:
The Quest Giver was fully voiced in English, and she sent the hunter on a quest to hunt an Anjanath, the T-rex-like monster shown in the reveal.
Quote:
Hunters can quickly pick up resources as they run by, meaning you don’t have to stop and wait for foraging animations.
Quote:
You can track monsters by finding footprints and other clues left in the environment. The Anjanath has a strong sense of smell, and it left spots of sticky mucus on trees and other surfaces to mark its territory. You can use a pack of glowing scout flies to pick up on these clues and get a bead on the monster’s location.
Quote:
Hunters can use a crossbow to fire shock knifes or grapple their way out of a bad situation. Our hunter used a traditional Great Sword, but all 14 weapon types will be returning in the game.
Quote:
A representative for Capcom told us that MH World still supports 4-player co-op right from the start of a quest. If you decided to go solo and run into a seemingly impossible combat situation, you can fire off a flare to summon up to three other players that will drop in and help.
E3 2017: Monster Hunter World Looks Like A Great Step for the Series http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/...or-the-series?

-----------------------

What do you know, people were worrying over nothing.
__________________
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-13, 22:54   Link #2
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 35
Quote:
Observations from a hands off demo:
That is why people are worried. Game/series is probably ending from a hunting game to dps elites MMO crap.
PS4 has remote play, so at least it is somehow still portable. Vita means life.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 06:06   Link #3
Chosen_Hero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
That is why people are worried. Game/series is probably ending from a hunting game to dps elites MMO crap.
PS4 has remote play, so at least it is somehow still portable. Vita means life.
Are you kidding me? It's called Monster HUNTER, your character is still called a HUNTER and this is a a proper main series entry. If you bothered to read the article (or any for that matter) you would know that.

Did you not see the trailer where he is hunting and tracking a Monster? (It's right there), dd you not see that the combat is similar to how it always has been with the ususal next gimmick of the game? (This time being a grappling hook). These are thing you can decude just from watching the trailer.

Besides, hasn't Monster Hunters combat in some ways always been a dps battle against giant monsters that you hunt down while employing team tactics? Hasn't it always been mostly an online experience? It's not like Monster Hunter is know for having an epic storyline or anything.

I understand being worried about a game series you like, but you don’t need to be paranoid of every little thing. Just be happy that we finally get to play a main series Monster Hunter on our console of preference.

Personally, I am glad that I can finally play the series again, the 3ds/ds line hasn't exactly been welcoming to left handed people like myself and I wasn't going to use the damn touch screen as a directional pad.
__________________
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 07:48   Link #4
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv160
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
What do you know, people were worrying over nothing.
Instead of putting a jab already, please note there are other things that are relevant for concern:

-You can use items while running
-You can change your equipment at the base in the middle of a quest


To me, those points are very dangerous because it just allow more cheese or yolo approach, depending if they actually improve the monsters AI radically or not.
Sure, there are some people who do no damage/naked runs, but the last thing I want is to be joined by a moron who indulge himself into bad play because he can keep potion chugging all the way.

OTOH, there are a lot of improvements that would help beginners and veterans such like visible damage (allowing to gauge properly gear progression instead of using the first trash boss to gauge the skill combination and whatnot) or drop in multiplayer being added to the regular party multiplayer mode.

There are also changes that might ramp the difficulty: the absence of zones mean you cannot get away from the monster if you need to sharpen your weapons or eat a steack. This will require extra tools/options to distract the mob in the middle of a fight or changes the aforementioned mechanics into something else.

That said, Sides is right about people's worries: the number of QoL and changes might be a bit detrimental if the hunter is "too flexible". In that sense, MH would lose its actual personality as of being a difficult game that punishes you if you don't do your homework properly. Hunting game is just a general genre that can be split into diverse categories like fighting games: just like how a air dasher is very different to a SF, the same can be said to MH compared to God Eater or Toukiden. So "being called monster HUNTER or having a HUNTER as a protagonist" is not even an argument at this point: it is a given considering the franchise and its genre, but that doesn't mean the way how it is played will always be a progression compared to previous titles.

Also, there is still plenty time for its release. That's why even a video/demo like this doesn't mean jack considering a game development can lead to balance change for the better or for the worse (I honestly think that stuff like grappling hook is not a good idea unless it is scripted to specific situations).
I don't expect MH developpers to go on "casualization" process for MH, but considering how the changes are quite drastic (more than Dos => Tri => 3rd portable) while they aren't exactly explicit with the "new generation direction" thing, I'm rather cautious.


I'd rather wait for a real demo just prior release instead of just information because that kind of game require actual gameplay (and not simply video) to have an idea if it will feel good or not (like how X/Gen series is extremely polarizing). Likewise, I'm still waiting for actual art direction and style display/samples for some stuff and mobs (I still have hard time to imagine how Airu/Felyne will be implemented considering the direction of MHW, even though they confirmed their presence for this title).

And before anyone try to pull a strawman argument or anything: I don't have a Switch but I have a PS4. So the plateform choice is completely irrelevant to me. And yet, even with extra graphics and QoL changes, I'm not sold yet. Far from it.
__________________

Last edited by Klashikari; 2017-06-14 at 08:16.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 10:21   Link #5
Chosen_Hero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Instead of putting a jab already, please note there are other things that are relevant for concern:

-You can use items while running
-You can change your equipment at the base in the middle of a quest


To me, those points are very dangerous because it just allow more cheese or yolo approach, depending if they actually improve the monsters AI radically or not.
Sure, there are some people who do no damage/naked runs, but the last thing I want is to be joined by a moron who indulge himself into bad play because he can keep potion chugging all the way.

OTOH, there are a lot of improvements that would help beginners and veterans such like visible damage (allowing to gauge properly gear progression instead of using the first trash boss to gauge the skill combination and whatnot) or drop in multiplayer being added to the regular party multiplayer mode.

There are also changes that might ramp the difficulty: the absence of zones mean you cannot get away from the monster if you need to sharpen your weapons or eat a steack. This will require extra tools/options to distract the mob in the middle of a fight or changes the aforementioned mechanics into something else.

That said, Sides is right about people's worries: the number of QoL and changes might be a bit detrimental if the hunter is "too flexible". In that sense, MH would lose its actual personality as of being a difficult game that punishes you if you don't do your homework properly. Hunting game is just a general genre that can be split into diverse categories like fighting games: just like how a air dasher is very different to a SF, the same can be said to MH compared to God Eater or Toukiden. So "being called monster HUNTER or having a HUNTER as a protagonist" is not even an argument at this point: it is a given considering the franchise and its genre, but that doesn't mean the way how it is played will always be a progression compared to previous titles.

Also, there is still plenty time for its release. That's why even a video/demo like this doesn't mean jack considering a game development can lead to balance change for the better or for the worse (I honestly think that stuff like grappling hook is not a good idea unless it is scripted to specific situations).
I don't expect MH developpers to go on "casualization" process for MH, but considering how the changes are quite drastic (more than Dos => Tri => 3rd portable) while they aren't exactly explicit with the "new generation direction" thing, I'm rather cautious.


I'd rather wait for a real demo just prior release instead of just information because that kind of game require actual gameplay (and not simply video) to have an idea if it will feel good or not (like how X/Gen series is extremely polarizing). Likewise, I'm still waiting for actual art direction and style display/samples for some stuff and mobs (I still have hard time to imagine how Airu/Felyne will be implemented considering the direction of MHW, even though they confirmed their presence for this title).

And before anyone try to pull a strawman argument or anything: I don't have a Switch but I have a PS4. So the plateform choice is completely irrelevant to me. And yet, even with extra graphics and QoL changes, I'm not sold yet. Far from it.
Streamlining certain things in this series would go a long way and even make it that much better, especially considering how obtuse many of the mechanics (that are still stuck in the past) tend to be.

Quote:
-You can use items while running
Good, we finally don't have to mess around an unnintuitive menu during a hunt. Also, having some of those animations not hinder you is a good thing.

Quote:
-You can change your equipment at the base in the middle of a quest
Finally I don't have to suffer through countless loading screens to get the equipment I need if I end up taking the wrong things with me. My teammates can now breath a sigh of relief due to not having to restart the mission for the third time because of human error.

Quote:
To me, those points are very dangerous because it just allow more cheese or yolo approach, depending if they actually improve the monsters AI radically or not.

From the article (can also be glimpsed in the trailer):

Quote:
The world felt like a living ecosystem where monsters and creatures reacted to each other. At one point in the demo, I watched as a lizard-like Great Jagrass walk up to another creature and swallow it whole in one horrifyingly slow gulp...
Quote:
Finally, the Great Jagrass interrupted the hunter’s fight with the Anjanath. But the monster assists came with a deadly price; the Anjanath grabbed the other beast by the head with its jaws and slowly wrestled it to the ground to kill it.
Monsters can interrupt your hunt by killing each other, eating each other or joining in the middle of combat. I expect hunts to get very hectic having to fight of two different monsters at the same time.

Quote:
Sure, there are some people who do no damage/naked runs, but the last thing I want is to be joined by a moron who indulge himself into bad play because he can keep potion chugging all the way.
Good thing you can play with friends then:

Quote:
A representative for Capcom told us that MH World still supports 4-player co-op right from the start of a quest. If you decided to go solo and run into a seemingly impossible combat situation, you can fire off a flare to summon up to three other players that will drop in and help.
Quote:
That said, Sides is right about people's worries: the number of QoL and changes might be a bit detrimental if the hunter is "too flexible".
Not everyone (even fans themselves) wants to wrestle with the controls and or overly long animations (which to some can be a hinderance) at times when playing a game. That doesn't always translate to having skills in playing the game, sometimes it can feel a bit unfair (I say this as a fan of both MH and the souls series which lock you into animations that at times can end up accidentally costing you your progress).

Quote:
I'd rather wait for a real demo just prior release instead of just information because that kind of game require actual gameplay (and not simply video) to have an idea if it will feel good or not (like how X/Gen series is extremely polarizing).
Yet without some basic information all you will keep doing is raising question that can be easily answered if you just look it up. For example: let's say you are worrying that not all weapons will be in the game, how will you know that:

Quote:
Our hunter used a traditional Great Sword, but all 14 weapon types will be returning in the game.
If you keep disregarding even the most basic bit of information because "You just have to play it to understand it"?

I understand that some might be worried that "it plays different", but why the hell would they completely overhaul the gameplay that they know that fans like in this series? It is literally one of the core principles as to why people love the series, it would be completely retarded for them to compketely change it. But that doesn't mean that there is no room for improvement and they (as the people that make the game and have been doing so all along) know.

All you are doing is assuming and turning a blind eye when information is being given to you out of fear of change. Not all change is bad and improving an already great series isn't either.

If a series tries to improve it's sacrilege, but when it doesn't it's not trying hard enough... just be open to new things, you might be surprised and if they end up sucking, then just don't support the game, if your worries are the same as the rest of the community then having the game flop will send a strong message to Capcom about the changes made.
__________________
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 12:43   Link #6
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Streamlining certain things in this series would go a long way and even make it that much better, especially considering how obtuse many of the mechanics (that are still stuck in the past) tend to be.
Streamlining can always alienate some people. I mean believe it or not some people think bloodborne is bad because it is so simplified compared to souls. I disagree, but thast is their opinion.
For example i wasn't a big fan of generations, but it wasn't a mainline game , or was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero
Besides, hasn't Monster Hunters combat in some ways always been a dps battle against giant monsters that you hunt down while employing team tactics? Hasn't it always been mostly an online experience? It's not like Monster Hunter is know for having an epic storyline or anything.
But ehhhh, what is going on? Have we been playing the same game series the last 12-13 year? Not being rude, maybe try to be less agressive with your replies?
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 13:07   Link #7
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv160
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Good thing you can play with friends then
The whole point wasn't the fact you cannot play with your friends. Rather, having streamlined features can encourage people playing more poorly than usual. Ever since Tri, there are countless of public lobby because people can't always play with friends or don't have friends who are interested in MH. And that's the point: hunting with strangers is another part of the MH experience. However, if the game becomes too lenient for a certain type of players (aka morons, not even casuals), this will discourage normal/veterans players to host public rooms (which actually happened early in MH4 when jp hosts had to kick on sight anyone below a certain rank because there were way too many Yuuta players for a while)

So no, "just play with your friends" is not relevant at all, moreso if said friends are busy or unfortunately playing on XBOX or PC because they confirmed there won't be any cross platform multiplayer.
Quote:
Not everyone (even fans themselves) wants to wrestle with the controls and or overly long animations (which to some can be a hinderance) at times when playing a game. That doesn't always translate to having skills in playing the game, sometimes it can feel a bit unfair (I say this as a fan of both MH and the souls series which lock you into animations that at times can end up accidentally costing you your progress).
It isn't even about the controls, but the actual "feel" of the game.
The reason why you don't have dodge like in GE is exactly because MH always had the philosophy of having humans relatively well built that confronts massive monsters that could potentially mow them down.

I'm not saying they have to keep every frame consumming animation, but the drinking animation was obviously there to prevent players from abusing potions instead of actually avoiding taking damage. That's why it is very important to know if they did something to make up for this change. Frankly, it is quite obvious how that single change has an impact on the game for casual players, but it is less obvious to figure out how they actually tweaked the AI of the monsters to prevent pot chugging abuse.
Quote:
Yet without some basic information all you will keep doing is raising question that can be easily answered if you just look it up. For example: let's say you are worrying that not all weapons will be in the game, how will you know that

If you keep disregarding even the most basic bit of information because "You just have to play it to understand it"?

I understand that some might be worried that "it plays different", but why the hell would they completely overhaul the gameplay that they know that fans like in this series? It is literally one of the core principles as to why people love the series, it would be completely retarded for them to compketely change it. But that doesn't mean that there is no room for improvement and they (as the people that make the game and have been doing so all along) know.

All you are doing is assuming and turning a blind eye when information is being given to you out of fear of change. Not all change is bad and improving an already great series isn't either.

If a series tries to improve it's sacrilege, but when it doesn't it's not trying hard enough... just be open to new things, you might be surprised and if they end up sucking, then just don't support the game, if your worries are the same as the rest of the community then having the game flop will send a strong message to Capcom about the changes made.
Could you please not take me as a moron? I believe my post was thoughtful about the possible issues, yet you imply I didn't bother checking info, even though I did.
The fact all weapons are there don't change anything: that's like assuming X is the same as 4 because "the weapons are still there!"

Again, information is not enough as there is a limit of what info you can get: Capcom will never disclose the invulnerability frame, the damage scaling and all the stuff. You need an actual demo to have an idea if the game stays similar to the previous game, or if it will be faster in term of hunt pacing because of animations and/or damage.
Exactly the same reason why some people like X/Gen while others believe it is an heresy (similar to what Sides has explained about Bloodborde / DarkSouls).

I find quite annoying you think I'm acting like a grumpy old fanboy even though I do like some changes in there.
If you at least read my post instead of pointing fingers as if I don't like any change in there, that would be better for an actual discussion. For now, I sincerely feel insulted with your baseless remarks.
What I explained thus far are the possible points that made me and certain veterans worried about some changes. Did I say this game is bad? No. Did I say the game "should not be changed"? Far from it. My general conclusion was "I don't like some parts, but others are ok. Still need actual demo to make a judgment". A bloody Wait & see attitude, and yet you state "You just turn a blind eye to everything"? I hope you realize you are literally changing the actual position I had with my initial post.

So for goodness sake, stop this passive aggressive attitude and the strawman argument. It is annoying and doesn't make your arguments any relevant to the points I've made.
__________________

Last edited by Klashikari; 2017-06-14 at 13:29.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 14:57   Link #8
Chosen_Hero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The whole point wasn't the fact you cannot play with your friends. Rather, having streamlined features can encourage people playing more poorly than usual. Ever since Tri, there are countless of public lobby because people can't always play with friends or don't have friends who are interested in MH. And that's the point: hunting with strangers is another part of the MH experience. However, if the game becomes too lenient for a certain type of players (aka morons, not even casuals), this will discourage normal/veterans players to host public rooms (which actually happened early in MH4 when jp hosts had to kick on sight anyone below a certain rank because there were way too many Yuuta players for a while)

So no, "just play with your friends" is not relevant at all, moreso if said friends are busy or unfortunately playing on XBOX or PC because they confirmed there won't be any cross platform multiplayer.
It isn't even about the controls, but the actual "feel" of the game.
The reason why you don't have dodge like in GE is exactly because MH always had the philosophy of having humans relatively well built that confronts massive monsters that could potentially mow them down.

I'm not saying they have to keep every frame consumming animation, but the drinking animation was obviously there to prevent players from abusing potions instead of actually avoiding taking damage. That's why it is very important to know if they did something to make up for this change. Frankly, it is quite obvious how that single change has an impact on the game for casual players, but it is less obvious to figure out how they actually tweaked the AI of the monsters to prevent pot chugging abuse.
Could you please not take me as a moron? I believe my post was thoughtful about the possible issues, yet you imply I didn't bother checking info, even though I did.
The fact all weapons are there don't change anything: that's like assuming X is the same as 4 because "the weapons are still there!"

Again, information is not enough as there is a limit of what info you can get: Capcom will never disclose the invulnerability frame, the damage scaling and all the stuff. You need an actual demo to have an idea if the game stays similar to the previous game, or if it will be faster in term of hunt pacing because of animations and/or damage.
Exactly the same reason why some people like X/Gen while others believe it is an heresy (similar to what Sides has explained about Bloodborde / DarkSouls).

I find quite annoying you think I'm acting like a grumpy old fanboy even though I do like some changes in there.
If you at least read my post instead of pointing fingers as if I don't like any change in there, that would be better for an actual discussion. For now, I sincerely feel insulted with your baseless remarks.
What I explained thus far are the possible points that made me and certain veterans worried about some changes. Did I say this game is bad? No. Did I say the game "should not be changed"? Far from it. My general conclusion was "I don't like some parts, but others are ok. Still need actual demo to make a judgment". A bloody Wait & see attitude, and yet you state "You just turn a blind eye to everything"? I hope you realize you are literally changing the actual position I had with my initial post.

So for goodness sake, stop this passive aggressive attitude and the strawman argument. It is annoying and doesn't make your arguments any relevant to the points I've made.
Quote:
Rather, having streamlined features can encourage people playing more poorly than usual.
Or, it could help newbies that are willing to give the series a try for the first time to accomodate themselves better to the game without the need to fight some of the more obtuse mechanics of this series. Who are we to judge without information?

Quote:
Ever since Tri, there are countless of public lobby because people can't always play with friends or don't have friends who are interested in MH.
Maybe that was because it released on the Wii U which barely had a community at all and barely anyone wanted. Not everyone is willing to go out of their way to buy a console to play a game even if it is a game they love, not every MH entusiast is willing to buy a Switch just for MH especially if there is one releasing on a console they might already own.

Also, the MH community is niché at best, so finding a seasoned veteran on the Wii U of all things was always going to be a challenge, especially considering most of the people buying the game for that console were new to the series.

Quote:
And that's the point: hunting with strangers is another part of the MH experience. However, if the game becomes too lenient for a certain type of players (aka morons, not even casuals), this will discourage normal/veterans players to host public rooms (which actually happened early in MH4 when jp hosts had to kick on sight anyone below a certain rank because there were way too many Yuuta players for a while)
That happens in every game with multiplayer, deal with it. Or you could just go to Capcoms forum and bring up the need for custom lobbies in MH. The Wii U game was doomed to suffer in this instance due to the nature of Nintendo's crappy online infrastructure and the dreaded friend codes.

Quote:
So no, "just play with your friends" is not relevant at all, moreso if said friends are busy or unfortunately playing on XBOX or PC because they confirmed there won't be any cross platform multiplayer.
Then make new friends on the console/platform you own or one of you gets a new console, you have options. It's not the game's fault that you both chose to get different consoles and wishing for Cross platform multiplayer is a pipe dream mainly because of the disparity there would be between versions. Can you imagine playing on PC in 60 fps with people on consoles playing at 30 fps or lower? What if either the Xbox or the PS4 can't at the least keep a stable 30 fps and/or lacks a reliable connectivity?

Quote:
It isn't even about the controls, but the actual "feel" of the game.
The reason why you don't have dodge like in GE is exactly because MH always had the philosophy of having humans relatively well built that confronts massive monsters that could potentially mow them down.
Well, considering that we live at a time where demos don't exist you better hope for a beta because with your logic of needing to play it to know how it feels will only end up with you buying the game to try it out. The best you can do until then is learn as much as you can of the game to see if it's worth your purchase.

Quote:
I'm not saying they have to keep every frame consumming animation, but the drinking animation was obviously there to prevent players from abusing potions instead of actually avoiding taking damage.
If someone abuses the potions they will eventually run out, that's their penalty for it. In a usual hunt you hold of on using your very limited supply of potions until the last second you can to get the most out of them. Anyone that abuses them will run out of them and will not be able to have a battle of attrition against some of the more demanding monsters. The animation for the most part is not needed, you are either smart about using them or not.

Quote:
Could you please not take me as a moron? I believe my post was thoughtful about the possible issues, yet you imply I didn't bother checking info, even though I did.
I never did, when I hold discussions I like to use comparisons and examples the best I can to get my point across, it's that simple. I also believe that my my intent in my post was thoughtful, I could have worded it a bit better but it's what I wrote, I'll own up to it.

But please don't assume that I am treating you like a moron, it never even crossed my mind to so and I take offense at your assumption.

Quote:
You need an actual demo to have an idea if the game stays similar to the previous game, or if it will be faster in term of hunt pacing because of animations and/or damage.
Again, the best you can hope for is a beta, but at the end of the day you if one doesn't happen then you will have to purchade the game either way to get and idea of how it plays. That seems counter productive, unless you borrow it from someone else or something.

Quote:
I find quite annoying you think I'm acting like a grumpy old fanboy even though I do like some changes in there.
I never said anything of the sort, If anything I am taking you very seriously. Why else would I write these long paragraphs for? Please don't assume my intentions.

Quote:
What I explained thus far are the possible points that made me and certain veterans worried about some changes. Did I say this game is bad? No. Did I say the game "should not be changed"? Far from it. My general conclusion was "I don't like some parts, but others are ok. Still need actual demo to make a judgment". A bloody Wait & see attitude, and yet you state "You just turn a blind eye to everything"? I hope you realize you are literally changing the actual position I had with my initial post.
I never said you said as such, I only disagreed with your stance of finding any information given about the game not as "useful" as playing the game itself and I have been disagreeing with your stance on certain changes. I never told you to "turn a blind eye" to anything, I only disagreed with your wait and see attitude.

You talk about me changing what you said yet here you do the same thing. Again, stop assuming I have some agenda against you.

Quote:
So for goodness sake, stop this passive aggressive attitude and the strawman argument. It is annoying and doesn't make your arguments any relevant to the points I've made.
If anyone is being passive aggressive here it is you, you are the one getting heated on your own creating assumptions that I have some kind of grudge against you for being apprehensive about this game. You can dislike whatever you want to dislike about this game, but that doesn't mean I won't try to challenge some of the things you say if I disagree with you and I never expected you to agree with me. I just wanted to see what kind of answer I could get back to understand your viewpoint better.

Too bad that this is how things went down, maybe we could have possibly played this game together with others since you say you can't play with your friends that don't own the same console as you. Heck, I don't mind even mind playing with people who don't know how to play well yet and just want to bs around the game having fun.

Let's just agree to disagree and end it right here.
__________________
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 15:03   Link #9
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv160
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 31
Quote:
Then make new friends on the console/platform you own or one of you gets a new console, you have options. It's not the game's fault that you both chose to get different consoles and wishing for Cross platform multiplayer is a pipe dream mainly because of the disparity there would be between versions. Can you imagine playing on PC in 60 fps with people on consoles playing at 30 fps or lower? What if either the Xbox or the PS4 can't at the least keep a stable 30 fps and/or lacks a reliable connectivity?
You are missing the point. I'm not blaming capcom for not having cross play (mainly because Sony is most likely the main culprit). Instead, the whole point of "just make friends" is not a valid solution when you want to play online. So yeah, you have to deal with scrubs. However, as I said, -if- lenient stuff is made too common, things might go haywire.
That's a possible outcome, and definitely not something that will happen 100%. That's the very reason why I used "might" back then, not "will". But then again, I specifically used such words to express -worries-, not definite flaws whatsoever.
Quote:
You talk about me changing what you said yet here you do the same thing. Again, stop assuming I have some agenda against you.
I didn't assume any agenda whatsoever, until that very paragraph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
All you are doing is assuming and turning a blind eye when information is being given to you out of fear of change. Not all change is bad and improving an already great series isn't either.
There is no way not to consider that kind of stance with the bolded text. It is even worse when you state the obvious that "not all change is bad". Why do you think I but also Sides considering that as some kind of aggression? Generalizing someone opinion in that fashion obviously won't lead to kind reactions.
Moreo with the opening statement "what do you know, people were worrying over nothing". That's borderline a dismissal.

So yeah, the wording at hand hardly suggest your implication of taking me seriously. When someone outright tells you that you turn a blind eye regarding information, of course it doesn't bode too well, especially when you did discuss about the information at hand but still hope for extra to make a proper judgement.

And no, I wasn't even being "passive aggressive". I was downright annoyed for obvious reasons.

___________

Anyway, found 2 videos that expand a bit more the gameplay parts of the trailer: [1] [2]
__________________

Last edited by Klashikari; 2017-06-14 at 15:56.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 16:29   Link #10
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 28
I agree with Klashikari. The potion animations were there for many reasons:

1) Be realistic, nobody drinks while running. Even drinking while walking is inconvenient.
2) Force the players to think before potting and implement knowing your own limits as well as your prey as part of the hunt.
3) Make a very useful ability that shortens the animation for high-speed combat.

Changing weapons mid-combat is completely unecessary. Every single target has always had a particular weapon or two that counter it best. Experimenting and finding out is part of the game's charm.

Quote:
If someone abuses the potions they will eventually run out, that's their penalty for it. In a usual hunt you hold of on using your very limited supply of potions until the last second you can to get the most out of them. Anyone that abuses them will run out of them and will not be able to have a battle of attrition against some of the more demanding monsters. The animation for the most part is not needed, you are either smart about using them or not.
By the same token, a smart player wouldn't even need to use potions, but that's not the point. Taking a ton of damage and trying to out-burst a target is completely different to tactical fights with a few mistakes - taking a short break before attempting to re-engage might leave your target free to run off to another area, which holds special meaning in multiple target hunts. It's mostly a matter of time management, rather than just "fixing a problem".

Quote:
Or, it could help newbies that are willing to give the series a try for the first time to accomodate themselves better to the game without the need to fight some of the more obtuse mechanics of this series.
I picked up MH on Freedom Unite, I'd say the learning curve is as curvy as it can get. Newbies are more than welcome to try out the game, but they shouldn't think of it as another one of the games they've played before. Even compared to God Eater, MH is massively different and hunting is a unique experience that, to the best of my knowledge, this series has established.

I'm all for changing the mining and gathering animations, even raising rare drop rates would be nice, but there are also some things that should be left as is.

P.S: The game's A.I. is the most anticipated aspect for me. The MH universe has impressed me quite a few times and I do hope they surpass my expectations in this title.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 19:39   Link #11
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 31
Looks better than whatever the most recent US release was (what was that, X?), but otherwise looks whatever. Graphics are obviously good, but that's expected on a current gen console. Plus, gameplay > graphics, so that's not really anything that matters in the long run.

Will keep an eye out as release gets closer. Worst case scenario, I just skip another MH game.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-15, 23:07   Link #12
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I understand Capcom wants to expand the franchise in the West, and that the PS4/PC install base is the best place to do it, but I'm not sure if splitting off from the mainline series is the best way to do it. Plenty of other franchises managed to find worldwide success without having to make a spinoff (Zelda, Pokémon, Final Fantasy), so why can't Monster Hunter?

I think it would have been a better idea to make a Monster Hunter 5 multiplatform for Switch and PS4 and cut the 3DS from the equation (eventually). The HD graphics and larger scale should be enough to appeal to the West without double crossing their fanbase.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-16, 11:06   Link #13
videoman190
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Washington DC
They could also release Monster Hunter Frontier Z as well.
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-16, 12:43   Link #14
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 35
Behind closed doors presentation leaked, you can read and find the download link on gematsu.com
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-18, 00:29   Link #15
Chaos2Frozen
Pillager of Twilight
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rivers In the Desert
Age: 29
The two main things people seem the most impressed with, and I'm including myself, is the environment interactivity and the Monster ecosystem. No surprise since the main focus of the E3 demos and trailers are to highlight those new mechanics made possible with extra power.

For those who have seen the behind-closed-doors demo (which is the leaked video) alot of people have repeated the same impression that it's still very much a monster hunter game.



__________________

Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-18, 01:04   Link #16
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
The leaked gameplay video looks a lot better than the trailer shown at E3. What a PR nightmare.

But if World is supposed to be the next mainline Monster Hunter game, that does beg the question of what Capcom is going to do with their Japanese fanbase. World is not on any portable system. Are they going to be the ones double crossed instead of the West?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-18, 08:44   Link #17
Raviel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
^I for one welcome how much easier MH World is going to be to access for people not living in Japan, hope they don't region lock the game on Steam.

I hope they make the camera a bit more fluid this time around.

MH Gen was my first ever MH and coming from Dark Souls 3, using the camera on the 3ds felt like slogging through waist-deep quick sand.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-18, 10:08   Link #18
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
MH Gen was my first ever MH and coming from Dark Souls 3, using the camera on the 3ds felt like slogging through waist-deep quick sand.
Going to assume you didn't have a Circle Pad Pro, since that made it feel very natural.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-18, 12:27   Link #19
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
^I for one welcome how much easier MH World is going to be to access for people not living in Japan, hope they don't region lock the game on Steam.

I hope they make the camera a bit more fluid this time around.

MH Gen was my first ever MH and coming from Dark Souls 3, using the camera on the 3ds felt like slogging through waist-deep quick sand.
That doesn't mean they have to make it less accessible for the people living in Japan either.

They could have made World multiplatform for the Switch as well. As it stands right now, it looks as if Capcom is abandoning handhelds and its fanbase in Japan.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-18, 17:29   Link #20
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
The last time I played a MH game was the first one I believe on the PS2. Keen to revisit the series again on a modern console since I never had the right console to play them on.
__________________
Jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
monhun, ps4, ps4/xboxone(x)/pc, steam

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.