AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-29, 04:13   Link #61
Spyre
"Soon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger
When AJ was the only group doing Gravion i bought the HK's of it.
I'm surprised noone took up this comment yet, so I suppose I will. As bad as AJ may seem, they are infinitely better than buying the HK versions. Let me explain why:

Hong Kong pirates blatantly steal the episodes, slap them on a dvd and sell them for 90% profit margins. Every single cent they make goes in their pockets. Its like stealing directly from the anime producers, and is a widespread problem in Asia. By buying from the HK dealers, you're directly helping to support their illegal industry.

At least AJ doesnt charge money for their subs.

HK dvds should not be bought unless there are absolutely no other alternatives. (Fansubs don't exist and the dvds aren't released in Japan r2).
Old 2003-11-29, 05:19   Link #62
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyre
I'm surprised noone took up this comment yet, so I suppose I will. As bad as AJ may seem, they are infinitely better than buying the HK versions. Let me explain why:

Hong Kong pirates blatantly steal the episodes, slap them on a dvd and sell them for 90% profit margins. Every single cent they make goes in their pockets. Its like stealing directly from the anime producers, and is a widespread problem in Asia. By buying from the HK dealers, you're directly helping to support their illegal industry.

HK dvds should not be bought unless there are absolutely no other alternatives. (Fansubs don't exist and the dvds aren't released in Japan r2).

I guess from the two responses to this around here,that unless emoticons are used,Sarcasm is lost on people :/
Old 2003-11-29, 11:32   Link #63
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Quote:
Their subs DID get better, but they were already shunned by the community so much that it just wasn't worth it anymore, it would seem.
If that's the case, then perhaps they should ditch the AJ name altogether and start a new group, one without the terrible reputation AJ already has. After all, since they're not leech whores, they won't care about starting fresh, right?
Old 2003-11-29, 11:46   Link #64
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger
I guess from the two responses to this around here,that unless emoticons are used,Sarcasm is lost on people :/
Unless you tell us it's sarcasm, it's virtually impossible for us to tell that you're being sarcastic. It just doesn't work over the internet, buddy.
Old 2003-11-29, 16:43   Link #65
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Why doesn't AJ just change their name to something different? That's all they really have to do. Not many people actually pay attention to the fansub credits.

It would appear that AJ is not dead, They just released a chrno crusade sub.

I will admit competition is good but when everyone is releasing crappy quick and thai hooker subs the whole competition idea is kinda lost.
Old 2003-11-29, 16:45   Link #66
maxthelostboy

2003-11-29 Chrno Crusade 1 AnimeJunkies
they are back! If they are better who knows but this ep has been out for days whos gonna download their version?
Old 2003-11-29, 16:48   Link #67
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
I'm dling it. Just to see if Boneyjellyfish's claim that they have gotten better holds any water.
Old 2003-11-29, 16:59   Link #68
Strudel

Send a message via ICQ to Strudel Send a message via AIM to Strudel
Their sub doesn't have any karaoke in the opening... I like watching the openings...
Old 2003-11-29, 18:22   Link #69
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strudel
Their sub doesn't have any karaoke in the opening... I like watching the openings...
AJ was never really big on karaoke
Old 2003-11-29, 19:08   Link #70
Racheal
Super Robot War Player

Angry

Quote:

I did not know that. Here, VCD stores are practically selling Fansub versions as vcds. Fansubbed Chobits now cost US$37.40 for VCD version.
Old 2003-11-29, 22:54   Link #71
JAppi
Banned

Well after watching AJ's version, I can say that there version isn't signifigantly worse then anyone else's sub, although I'm not very observant.

their subs beats those naruto subbers's sub.

I'm no expert on it but after comparing it to the other's subs the picture quality looks like it's better, but I'm no expert on these things.

So BoneyJellyfish you are correct AJ isn't that bad.

Everyone will shun AJ though. Perhaps they should sub some of those older shows that no one else will sub. Maybe some one should point them to the top 10 shows that need to be subbed thread. If they sub one of those and do a semi-decent job their public image might make a turn around.
Old 2003-11-29, 23:32   Link #72
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Or maybe they should finish one of the dozens of other shows they started but never finished, rather than jumping on the recent bandwagon of oversubbing CC.
Old 2003-11-30, 00:48   Link #73
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Unless you tell us it's sarcasm, it's virtually impossible for us to tell that you're being sarcastic. It just doesn't work over the internet, buddy.
Yeah, I tell you - those folks like Jonathan Swift and Mark Twain just didn't get it. I've tried to convince my English teacher that for that the written literature of last few hundred years should be thrown out! After all those lame authors never used a single emoticon! What were they thinking!?? As you say, it's impossible to convey subtle emotions like sarcasm and irony without whacking readers over the head with typographical clue-sticks.
Old 2003-11-30, 05:06   Link #74
Shenlong

hmm.. AJ just released Airmaster 19, looks like they are back and active. It'll be interesting to see if they're still bashed even if their quality has increased. It'll be interesting to see how many mindless sheep are are still on the Mock AJ bandwagon.
Old 2003-11-30, 13:01   Link #75
Spyre
"Soon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocariSweat
Yeah, I tell you - those folks like Jonathan Swift and Mark Twain just didn't get it. I've tried to convince my English teacher that for that the written literature of last few hundred years should be thrown out! After all those lame authors never used a single emoticon! What were they thinking!?? As you say, it's impossible to convey subtle emotions like sarcasm and irony without whacking readers over the head with typographical clue-sticks.
Take a look at what he wrote and tell us how you can interpret that as sarcasm without being told.

And besides that, Swift and Twain rarely used sarcasm as a literary device. They were more prone to use irony and hyperbolae (sp?). I can't think of any uses of sarcasm off the top of my head right now.
Old 2003-11-30, 13:38   Link #76
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Sarcasm is more of a gag used conversationally. The problem was presented during the days of the telegraph that they were talking conversationally, but could not show that they were only kidding. Thus, the smiley was invented.

(I'm not joking this time )
Old 2003-11-30, 17:02   Link #77
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
And besides that, Swift and Twain rarely used sarcasm as a literary device. They were more prone to use irony and hyperbolae (sp?). I can't think of any uses of sarcasm off the top of my head right now.
See that's exactly my point! They didn't use any simlies or <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags so you quite understandably missed their sarcastic jibes at the powers that be (or powers that were).

When literary folks write stuff like...
Quote:
The ironical humor running through these essays frequently became, when he dealt with subjects on which he felt keenly, incredibly savage and at times extremely coarse; but for the power of his invective and the effectiveness of his sarcasm there is hardly a parallel in the language. (English Essays: Sidney to Macaulay.The Harvard Classics. 1909-14.)
They're clearly showing just their own ignorance of sarcasm's inherent dependance on ASCII art. I'm glad I finally found someone who agrees!

So you're right it's completely impossible to tell that the parent post was being sarcastic. When someone uses emoticons you can be 100% sure not to take them seriously - right?
Old 2003-12-01, 01:00   Link #78
Sau
The 1st Jokage

For those of you who dont know about the AJ-UV incident

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial.php?id=43
Old 2003-12-01, 01:03   Link #79
Thelastguardian

Well I guess I cant resist sharing my experience...(and no I am not AJ lover)

I never got to know anything about mass naked child inceident or anything (I pretty much stopped having anything to do with anime started from chobits ending(Oct 2002?) to the initial release of Onegai Twins(somehwhere around August this year), so I cant say much about all the bashing of AJ (I completely missed the starting point). But of course they must did some pretty nasty thing to upset this many people...

If anyone care I will tell you my run-in with AJ a bit more than a year ago (back when no one cares to bash AJ)....
I had been downloading anime since those initial d subs (you no the one that are about 250*100 pixels), so I pretty much watched all the major groups of today grow from 500 to 2000+(aone, akeep, anbu, etc.) . I especially liked to be AJ because they got some pretty intesting people inside at all time.... Then the founder of AJ (killshok or something) started banning anyone for no given explantions(around Aug. 2002). Everyone(included the ops at AJ) thought he was going crazy, but because he was the founder no one could do anything. We even came to the conclusion he banned people who were on Shaw (ISP) or Anime-Fury (rival chobits subbing group). needless to say I fell victum to his "rampage", but there are always some nice mod who are nice enough to unban me, but I finally got piss after the fifth time (yes I am that forgiving) and swore to one of the op I will never set foot again to AJ's channel.

I still watched AJ sub series from time to time, and I am sorry to say that to a certain extent I find the old AJ's subbing are far superior to the new ones. But you shouldn't bash someone who are doing subbing for free, and I don't think the whole AJ crews are the Borg Collective to take over the anime universe. If you don't like AJ, fine I have no opinion, but please don't act like whoever is in AJ is evil.

PS
And also leechers are mindless. I did an experiment with a whole lot of them a few years ago, I put the phase "/me is a copy n' paste freak" into one of my trigger when an esp was release into a 1000+ group , and sure enough the channel was filled with the "phase" (until someone ask me to stop). Seeing how the common rule "the bigger the population is, the lower the general intelligence is of the group" work, I have to say they are pretty dumb.
Old 2003-12-01, 01:13   Link #80
Tomomi
chrno fangal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau
For those of you who dont know about the AJ-UV incident

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial.php?id=43
Well, I guess AJ got what they deserved. I never knew that they were this rude in the first place. I wish that they will learn to get some manners though...
Closed Thread