AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Old 2017-03-11, 09:57   Link #1
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn

Tank hero

OK, I've seen this a few times but I want more. Are there any good fantasy series where the hero is the tank? No, not the military vehicle, the tank role in RPGs, the guy who's not really very good at fighting and taking down enemies or anything else, but just stands there at the front taking all the damage while stopping the enemies from getting through to the others. This is often a rather thankless role. Not as thankless as things like the healers and the buffers (the ones whose role consists of upping allies' stats and lowering enemies' stats), but still doesn't get near as much glory as the swordsman who cuts down the enemies or the mage who rains destruction on them.

Two series come to mind for this. First chronologically is The Tower of Druaga. Jil does face off against enemies and use his sword a lot, but first and foremost he's the shield, and as such he doesn't stand out as much as some others. He's even severely underrated by one of the heroines (though this changes eventually). The other, better example is The Rising of the Shield Hero. In this series, four heroes are summoned to a parallel world and given a legendary weapon, which is the only thing they're able to use offensively in battle. The main character is given a shield and is treated like trash. Even more than one would expect from gamers like the other heroes, who feel that the "shielder" job class is really useless and treat him like an extra (and then treat him even worse when false accusations are laid on him repeatedly).
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-11, 11:42   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

At first I thought you were looking for Wellber no Monogatari!

Naotsugu in Log Horizon is a tank character, but the sidekick of the male protagonist, Shiroe.
Old 2017-03-16, 00:45   Link #3
Tenzen12

If I remember correctly Ragnarok online anime has two newbies as main character. Boy start as basic fighter but he promote to full time tank half way in the show and start be more useful.
Old 2017-03-16, 04:05   Link #4
AntonKutovoi

Dr. Stone has only started, so I don't really know which direction story will go, but third chapter has confirmed that main character is a tank, who isn't good at fighting.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-16, 14:07   Link #5
AnimeFangirl

I forget the title but there was an anime recently where everyone in the school got a sword as their magic weapon but the hero got a shield instead. That's all I remember because it was one of those harem shows so I noped on out of there.
Old 2017-03-16, 21:54   Link #6
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
I forget the title but there was an anime recently where everyone in the school got a sword as their magic weapon but the hero got a shield instead. That's all I remember because it was one of those harem shows so I noped on out of there.
Oh yeah, Absolute Duo. Forgot about that one.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote