Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-06-25, 21:33   Link #1
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Half-Life 3

https://twitter.com/Steam_Support/st...78346688405505

Anyone willing to translate that to English from Korean? I guarantee someone will get a heart attack.

Arty

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 10:48   Link #2
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well, from what I gather, it basically translates into "Prepare for Unforeseen Consequences."
Old 2013-06-26, 11:13   Link #3
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The update is for a new language pack for Half-Life 2. One of three new ones is Korean voice-acting, hence the Korean text in the tweet. A glitch was accidentally implemented that forced the game to use it without players being able to change it back to English hence why they pulled the update for now.

Though I suppose this and the Half-Life 3 Steam page posted earlier could be the beginnings of an ARG for HL3 Valve's doing. You know how much they love those.~

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2013-06-26 at 12:00.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 11:13   Link #4
Alchemist007
*Author

Read it again, it's just about an issue with HL2. Nothing to care about regarding HL3.
Old 2013-06-26, 11:22   Link #5
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

It's just TOO much of a coincidence that an earlier leak from the steam database showed Half life 3 and Left 4 dead 3, and now Half life 2 gets a huge update introducing new languages and then... Steam says that it's just a problem with half life 2...

And a small phrase in Korean.

"Prepare for Unforseen Consequences"

This just... SCREAMS at me... Oh valve, finally you can count to 3

arty

Old 2013-06-26, 11:38   Link #6
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

At the very least it's a spark of hope. It's similar to what they did in Portal 2.
Old 2013-06-26, 12:37   Link #7
rickiminato

i think the half life 3 are release in 2014
Old 2013-06-26, 13:45   Link #8
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiminato View Post
i think the half life 3 are release in 2014
That's pretty optimistic lol
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 15:20   Link #9
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

^^

There's enough pessimism around, hooray for optimism.

Late 2013 for Half life 3!

*raises banner with the lambda sign*

Arty

Old 2013-06-26, 15:33   Link #10
T-6000

I was going to post this sometime late last night, but what stopped me was an incident over at the PC Gamer forums. I posted about some rumors about Half-Life 3 and the community members got on my ass about it. Didn't matter I guess, there are too many asshats at the forums there anyways and I got sick and tired of them bashing consoles and console gamers ("Consoletard" tends to get thrown around alot).

There have been so many rumors of a sequel to HL2 Episode 2 (either in the form of Episode 3 or a full fledged sequel "Half Life 3") that I've found it hard to get exited when a new 'rumor' shows up. I can't blame the community though, Half-Life 2 is one of the best game franchises on the PC and Episode 2 ended on as much of a cliffhanger as the original Half-Life. In a few months it'll have been 6 years since Episode 2, and yet still nothing on it's sequel. I think the long and silent absence has made the community a bit on edge and make the community analyze anything coming out of Valve (officially or unofficial) as possibly something related to Half-Life 3. Leaked documents, leaked artwork, leaked anything for that matter coming out of Valve's studios tend to get put under a microscope. I don't know of any other game franchises that has the community so hyped and anxious on a further installment. But on the flipside of things, as much as I am frustrated with Valve's constant delays (as are he community) I can understand the reason for the delays. It wouldn't be as simple as releasing a new episode a couple years later (like back at 2009 where we got Left 4 Dead instead), and with the game supposedly a full fledged sequel the same weapons, enemies, guns, and gameplay wouldn't really cut it. Despite half-Life 2 and both of it's episodes critically acclaimed and having excellent gameplay, if Episode 3 had more of the same it just wouldn't cut it with gamers. So I think that's one of the reasons (if not the main reason) a sequel to Episode 2 is taking so damn long, they are working on a full fledge sequel and are not only reworking the weapons, enemies, and enemy AI but also the gameplay.

Regardless, Every year that passes I keep hoping that Valve shows something Half-Life related at E3. And now it's gotten to a point that with nearly every Steam update that involves any f Valve's games people think it's an ARG. It's gotten crazy as hell, I tell you.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 16:18   Link #11
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I believe that is one of the reasons as well.

I believe that in the same way half life 1 flipped the table, Half life 3 will have to do something similarly game changing. Half life 2 introduced Source and Steam...

A possible Half life 3 will need to change the game in the same way, so that translates as a new engine (possibly?) and some kind of new feature (occulus?) to bring everything to the next level.

We all know Valve, they'll do this the epic way.

Arty

Old 2013-06-26, 16:32   Link #12
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Considering how well Valve is doing with Steam... i don't think they are in any rush to make HL3 yet. If HL3 is to happen, it's probably to showcase the next Source engine.
Old 2013-06-26, 17:32   Link #13
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Considering how well Valve is doing with Steam... i don't think they are in any rush to make HL3 yet. If HL3 is to happen, it's probably to showcase the next Source engine.
Well current Source is getting old. It debuted in 2004, I think, that's almost a decade old. As for HL3, I'll wait for an official announcement.
Old 2013-06-26, 19:13   Link #14
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
Well current Source is getting old. It debuted in 2004, I think, that's almost a decade old. As for HL3, I'll wait for an official announcement.
Well to be fair Valve have been periodically upgrading the source engine since that time, and the source engine in Left 4 Dead 2 and Counterstrike Global Offensive looks alot better than the one used for 2004. Even by today's standard the latest iteration of Source does look fairly good, but even I'll admit that Valve can only upgrade the Source engine so much. So with the upcoming next gen consoles it wold make sense to make a successor to the Source engine. Fan speculation and rumors have stated that the next Half-Life game (HL3) will be the first to showcase Source 2. Whether this rumor is true or not, I guess we'll have to wait a couple years after the next gen consoles launch. For all I know, the first game to use Source 2 could be Left 4 Dead 3 (which I pray isn't the case).
Old 2013-06-26, 20:07   Link #15
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I've thought for quite a few years that they'd wait until the next-gen consoles were on the horizon to do anything publicly.

Even though Half-Life is a franchise that is far and away most at home on PC, I think Valve recognizes that there is a market to tap with consoles. I don't think they'd ever sacrifice anything on the PC side to curry favor with consoles, but I do think they want to make money, like any rational business. So, with the new consoles arriving, and especially now that we know they'll both be very friendly to PC-based designers, I think Valve will start to be a bit more public about whatever they're doing.

I just cannot believe that they would NOT be working on something all these years; Gabe and Valve cannot be that dumb. They know this is their premiere franchise. Even if it hasn't had a release in 6 years, they know that they have the fans they do because of Half Life. Even if people only play TF or L4D, those people, implicitly, are there because of what Half Life did for the industry. So I have to think there is something going on. Whatever it is, I don't know, but they know that we want more HL. Portal has been such a tease at times about it. I don't know if the other games have had any easter eggs.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 20:09   Link #16
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
Well to be fair Valve have been periodically upgrading the source engine since that time, and the source engine in Left 4 Dead 2 and Counterstrike Global Offensive looks alot better than the one used for 2004. Even by today's standard the latest iteration of Source does look fairly good, but even I'll admit that Valve can only upgrade the Source engine so much. So with the upcoming next gen consoles it wold make sense to make a successor to the Source engine. Fan speculation and rumors have stated that the next Half-Life game (HL3) will be the first to showcase Source 2. Whether this rumor is true or not, I guess we'll have to wait a couple years after the next gen consoles launch. For all I know, the first game to use Source 2 could be Left 4 Dead 3 (which I pray isn't the case).
It would make sense to debut Source 2 with HL3 as that is their flagship series. Valve became a name with the first game and they rolled out Steam with the second one.
Old 2013-06-27, 03:58   Link #17
T-6000

Errr............looks like this was an Office Joke that got out o hand.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/26/un...s-out-of-hand/

I should have known this was really just nothing that got over-analyzed by an overanxious community (which I don't blame them).

And thus the waiting continues.........

(at this rate, the Ah! My Goddess series could end and we still never hear anything about Half-Life 3)
Old 2013-06-27, 07:01   Link #18
Kanaric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
They can't even finish the Half-Life episodes, lol
Kanaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 14:15   Link #19
jedinat

I'd rather have Portal 3 than Half-Life 3...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 17:43   Link #20
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Of course they'll say it's a joke. But I do believe that they have something in the oven, a long time ago.

I smell something delicious coming.

arty