AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-07-08, 14:07   Link #1
Dextro
He Without a Title

Persona 5

It looks like it's time to get this party started. Index corporation has registed a domain for Persona 5 according to Eurogamer.

Persona 5 domain registered by Atlus' parent company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurogamer

Persona series developer Atlus' parent company Index Corporation has registered a domain for Persona 5. (Thanks, NeoGAF.)

Unfortunately, that's all we know for now. As of less than two weeks ago, Index Corporation was in trouble, undergoing a bankruptcy-esque proceeding following being under investigation for crooked business practices. Atlus president Naoto Hiraoka told Kotaku at the time, "Currently, Index Digital Media, Inc. and the Atlus brand are unaffected by the Index Corporation proceedings in Japan."

However, the trademark is in Index Corporation's name, so it's unclear if this will have an effect the next hypothetical Persona game, but we've contacted Atlus about this an are awaiting reply.

The last brand new game in the Persona series was 2008's PS2 swan song Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4. It was later re-released on Vita with additional content as Persona 4: Golden, which Simon Parkin really liked.
Old 2013-07-08, 14:11   Link #2
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
So the production of Persona 5 can hopefully get under way it seems. I don't think the inner issues of the bankruptcy is fully over, but at least this is new that we can go on.
Old 2013-07-08, 14:13   Link #3
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

There is a chance in which they are merely treating its ghostly existence as an asset and then selling off the franchise.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 14:13   Link #4
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarami View Post
So the production of Persona 5 can hopefully get under way it seems. I don't think the inner issues of the bankruptcy is fully over, but at least this is new that we can go on.
Apparently Atlus is in good shape, it's just Index Corporation that isn't particularly well off. We have to trust that, if the worst comes to pass and Index Corporation needs to offload it's gaming arm, someone will look at how it's still relatively profitable in it's own niche and pick it up to continue making the games we love.
Old 2013-07-08, 14:28   Link #5
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Apparently Atlus is in good shape, it's just Index Corporation that isn't particularly well off. We have to trust that, if the worst comes to pass and Index Corporation needs to offload it's gaming arm, someone will look at how it's still relatively profitable in it's own niche and pick it up to continue making the games we love.
You do make a point, but there have been talks about who might pick it up if Index were to fall under. Atlus is still liable and to me that's great, but... for some reason I can't stop worrying about this since production and planning times can be "altered" because of this issue.
Old 2013-07-08, 14:48   Link #6
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I think this is more of a sign that Persona 5 is pretty far along and Atlus is ready to officially announce it. They were pretty similar with Persona 4 not really saying much about it until they were just about ready to release it.

As to the situation with the Index Corporation it is unsettling. But at this point Atlus still appears to be operating business as usual. Even if things go under for Index they should get picked up by someone and still get their games out.
Old 2013-07-08, 15:25   Link #7
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

so what system is P5 going to be develop on?
Old 2013-07-08, 15:32   Link #8
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
I'm betting on PS3 just like P4 was on the PS2 late in it's life-cycle.
Old 2013-07-08, 15:38   Link #9
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
As to the situation with the Index Corporation it is unsettling. But at this point Atlus still appears to be operating business as usual. Even if things go under for Index they should get picked up by someone and still get their games out.
That's the thing. The question here is who should pick or collaborate with Atlus if Index goes under. There are many options regarding that, but it's the matter of which studio or company is right for the job.

If a buy out does occur I hope Microsoft doesn't pick this up. If that were the case then RIP Persona series "shudders in fear".

Quote:
We don't know yet. Right now we're still waiting on news regarding that since Index is still floating, but could sink at any moment.
Quote:
Or they could do a PS3 and PS4 port just to make more money and cater to both the still current and new gen. I don't know how I should feel about that really...
Old 2013-07-08, 15:43   Link #10
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Or they could do a PS3 and PS4 port just to make more money and cater to both the still current and new gen. I don't know how I would feel about that really...
I'm not sure how cost effective that would be. I can see why games like MGS5 would do it since they were meant from day 1 to be multi-platform and have the appropriate abstractions in place to ease such ports but if you look at the history of SMT/Persona games they have always been single-platform which points towards coding close to the metal. Given that the PS4 has a substantially different architecture to the PS4 it would make that port a daunting prospect.

You may still be right though. That would mean I would have yet another reason to pull the trigger on a PS4 sooner in it's life-cycle.
Old 2013-07-08, 15:43   Link #11
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Apparently Atlus is in good shape, it's just Index Corporation that isn't particularly well off.
An understatement if I ever saw one. Those guys are practically criminals.

Eitherway, glad to see that their game division is still alive and functioning.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 16:14   Link #12
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Here's the thing though, with the PS4 said to be much more easier to develop for wouldn't it be possible that they just skip the much harder PS3 altogether?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 16:41   Link #13
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Here's the thing though, with the PS4 said to be much more easier to develop for wouldn't it be possible that they just skip the much harder PS3 altogether?
That would be true if development were to start right now but I'm betting that the game has been in the works for quite some time now and changing platforms midway can only lead to massive delays.
Old 2013-07-08, 18:19   Link #14
4Tran

Quote:
My money's on Playstation 3. Japanese gamers tend to be pretty slow to move to a new platform, and a 2014 release on the older console is a lot more attractive. I think that the Xbone, Wii U and 3DS can also be ruled out, although Vita is still a distant possibility.

Quote:
That's the thing. The question here is who should pick or collaborate with Atlus if Index goes under. There are many options regarding that, but it's the matter of which studio or company is right for the job.

If a buy out does occur I hope Microsoft doesn't pick this up. If that were the case then RIP Persona series "shudders in fear".
The most likely of the console manufacturers to pick up Atlus is Sony. Atlus is a valued property, so there's a decent chance that a different publisher like Marvelous AQL buys them out instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
If Atlus were to develop on the PS4, they'd have to learn the toolset whereas that wouldn't be necessary on the PS3 given the experience working on Catherine. PS4 would probably be the home of Atlus' projects 2015 onwards. There will be a lot more sales on PS3 anyways.
Old 2013-07-08, 18:21   Link #15
spikexp

We should not forget the mobile gaming market. A lot of their recent game are for handheld devices.
But I want it to be One/PS4 (PS4 for me).
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 19:12   Link #16
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
We should not forget the mobile gaming market. A lot of their recent game are for handheld devices.
But I want it to be One/PS4 (PS4 for me).
They'd probably make a sequel or a tie-in for the PSP, but if they do make P5 it'd be on a console. If P5 was on a portable it'd mean the company is in trouble.
Old 2013-07-08, 19:14   Link #17
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:

Yeah, would be up in the air who might go for Atlus if it comes down to that. Microsoft would be the worst case scenario, but luckily they also seem to be the most unlikely. They've mostly appeared on Nintendo's handelds or on Sony's consoles. Catherine was on the 360 as well, but I don't think they'd go as hard after Atlus as the other two.
Old 2013-07-08, 19:55   Link #18
Xacual

Why would 3ds be ruled out? It's one of the more popular consoles / handhelds in Japan right now.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 20:05   Link #19
Dr. Casey

Hmm. So if Flare's correct, and Persona 5 is released next year, maybe the story will take place 2017-2018. (Persona 3 was released 2006 and covers 2009-2010, Persona 4 was 2008 and spans 2011-2012) Hope so; one of the fun aspects of the Persona games is feeling as though I'm drawn into the future for a little while. That would make me 29-30 during Persona 5, which would make me an 'old man' character by JRPG standards.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 20:06   Link #20
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Why would 3ds be ruled out? It's one of the more popular consoles / handhelds in Japan right now.
Yeah, but this has probably been coming for a while now. It's not like they are suddenly starting development. It would be rather odd to see Persona 3 and Persona 4 on the PS2 (and Vita) then suddenly shift over to Nintendo's handheld for P5.

I don't think you'd rule it out, but I wouldn't actually bet on it.

Tags
persona 5, ps3, shin megami tensei