AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-10-22, 13:13   Link #161
ookamigirl

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-22, 13:39   Link #162
bakaouji

Parasyte just keeps topping itself every week. I'm always at the edge of the seat while I'm watching this show. There's nothing quite like it this season.

Even though it was obvious, I had never realized that so far Migi had been fighting Shinichi's battles for him. Shinichi had more or less only been a witness to Migi's feats. He's never personally physically retaliated against any of his enemies. Even though Shinichi may have had some influence over Migi's actions, the fact remains that Migi has always acted out of self interest and acted on its own volition.

Can't wait to see how Shinichi turns the tables on his new enemy who finds his very existence to be loathsome. He's reasonably terrified, but his conscience simply doesn't allow him to sit idly by and watch these things fight it out while collateral damage keeps piling on. It's time for him to cross the threshold and become the savior of the human species.

I also love the new arrival. Unlike her kin, Tamiya projects an interest in learning more about how humans function. She seems to be interested in both the social and the sexual aspects of the humans. What's freaky is that after copulating with another of her kin, she's managed to get pregnant with a normal human child. I'm surprised there's no catch. I thought they'd be primarily interested in propagating themselves but it doesn't seem like they pass over their genes to the children they bear. Either that or we still don't know the full picture. Regardless, I'm intrigued.
bakaouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-22, 14:23   Link #163
HandofFate

Neat that its exploring different types of parasytes instead of the instinct based ones that just look to feed and live.

Even the opponent now seems to want to find out what he is, but mentally he can't handle it as much, so he takes offense to Shinichi who for the most part is taking things rather well and as rational as he can.

The woman is very intelligent, I hope she sticks around a lot, looks like she be a good cease-fire ally.
Old 2014-10-22, 14:27   Link #164
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I have no idea what they're gonna do with the ponytail girl.
She seems to have feelings for Shinichi, but she's completely original to the anime.
Old 2014-10-22, 15:05   Link #165
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

That electronic trap, though! Wow, of all the forms of entertainment that actually use that kind of music, I didn't think it would be anime., let alone this show lol.

Very awesome episode.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-22, 15:43   Link #166
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I have no idea what they're gonna do with the ponytail girl.
She seems to have feelings for Shinichi, but she's completely original to the anime.
I already feared I had forgotten about her, but gladly it looks like my wonder who that girl is wasn't about me forgetting about the manga. I'm curious what her role gonna be, maybe she gets killed by a parayste or becomes one herself?

What I really enjoy about those episodes are the "It is cold. Why are you doing this to me, Shinichi?" moments. They are so much fun. Always make me chuckle. XD

It is interesting how different Parasytes are due what kind of human they "ate" and morphed into, intelligent ones, dumb ones, cruel ones and so on. And then ofc Migi who is one of a kind, who never feels hungry and thus never feels the need to feed on humans. Besides his fighting ability disadvantge he seems to have pulled a good card there with sharing the body with his host.
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-22, 15:58   Link #167
Heir of the Void

I'm working on a Parasyte/40k crossover, where Genestealers show up around the same time as the parasites. Crap hits the fan, and the Parasites have to team up with an original partially infected American teen, an Imperial Inquisitor, Shinichi and Migi, and potentially the rest of humanity to take on this new menace.

This story is called Sparks on the Wind.

First Chapter is here, on Spacebattles: http://forums.spacebattles.com/threa...rasyte.314955/
Heir of the Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-22, 17:40   Link #168
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

As always, the point of view of migi regarding the humans is interesting and very direct.
The parasyte teacher sure knows how to behave as a human, i dont know if that is a thing like an election of a parasyte itself or it has some connection with the host body and brain.
The parasyte are really direct, how the maid (?) heard what they did surelly caused a big impression in her

Is it me, or shinichi has been changing a lot since migi became part if him?, like some kind of colder/darker personality when stress reach his body
Old 2014-10-22, 17:45   Link #169
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I'm pretty sure the female teacher parasite will be a neutral party for a while. She may be interested in humanity and their behavior, but she is still a parasite.

Unless they discover a way full-body parasites can sustain themselves through some means other than cannibalism, the chances of her becoming an full-fledged ally is unlikely.
Old 2014-10-22, 17:47   Link #170
HandofFate

angry Shinichi is pretty scary. Seems to be the influence of Migi. Migi is pretty logical, but we seen from full parasytes that they are very aggressive.

Since its just the hand, not surprised that Shinichi is gaining of that aggression as well.

Also, I get the feeling Shinichi didn't actually read that book talked about in the beginning of the episode. I think Migi read it thru the cellphone or when Shinichi is asleep on the computer, and the knowledge ended up transferring to Shinichi.
Old 2014-10-22, 18:56   Link #171
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOmus View Post
As always, the point of view of migi regarding the humans is interesting and very direct.
The parasyte teacher sure knows how to behave as a human, i dont know if that is a thing like an election of a parasyte itself or it has some connection with the host body and brain.
The parasyte are really direct, how the maid (?) heard what they did surelly caused a big impression in her

Is it me, or shinichi has been changing a lot since migi became part if him?, like some kind of colder/darker personality when stress reach his body
To adress your last point first, having an alien parasite attached to his body is probably affecting Shinichi's Hormone and maybe neurotransmitter levels. That would have a profound effect on his behavior, partically if Migi is 'balancing' levels.

Secondly, I think the Paraiste teacher managed to gain some measure of the host's memories, perhaps by assimilating knowledge while consuming the brain. I doubt that she/it could learn to be human in so short a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I'm pretty sure the female teacher parasite will be a neutral party for a while. She may be interested in humanity and their behavior, but she is still a parasite.

Unless they discover a way full-body parasites can sustain themselves through some means other than cannibalism, the chances of her becoming an full-fledged ally is unlikely.
I don't think she'll remain neutral. From a purely meta perspective, I think she's gotten too much character devlpmet to remain a disinterested party.

I don't think there's any reason a head parasite couldn't survive on normal food, they just prefer to feed on their host species.

And that's terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
angry Shinichi is pretty scary. Seems to be the influence of Migi. Migi is pretty logical, but we seen from full parasytes that they are very aggressive.

Since its just the hand, not surprised that Shinichi is gaining of that aggression as well.

Also, I get the feeling Shinichi didn't actually read that book talked about in the beginning of the episode. I think Migi read it thru the cellphone or when Shinichi is asleep on the computer, and the knowledge ended up transferring to Shinichi.
That's an interesting hypothesis. It would certinly be more convenient if they could communicate telepathically.

One thing that really interests me is that, assuming a human government gained knowledge of the Parasites, how a specially assembled Task Force, i.g. XCOM, could take them down.

Surprise and overwhelming firepower would be humanity's only advantage. Optimally, a Parasite could be identified and located, and then a Strategic Bomber could deliver 70,000 pounds of FREEDOM to its doorstep in the middle of the night. Any collaterals damaged would probably have been eaten anyway.

Assuming more precision or discretion is required, more advanced tactics are needed. Given that they could probably regenerate bullet wounds, convential ammo is out. I would probably substitiue shotgun shells loaded with tiny glass spheres filled with hydrofloric acid. HF can destroy tissue with startling speed, and you can't regenrate a face if the biomass that makes it has been reduced to base elements.

Of course, CQC with a parasite would be a death sentence, so if preserving the lives of agents is at all a priority, then maintaining distance is essential. Assault rifle rounds could me modified with acid tips, though they'd have terrible ballistics and armor peneatration, and deliver less acid than the shotgun shells.

What I'd do, if the Stragetic bomber is out, is locate the parasite, wait for it to be in a area with minimal collaterals to damage, then have five snipers with 25mm cannons modified into sniper rifles take simultaneous shots at the parasite. A 25mm shell does not poke holes in you; it causes limbs or body parts struck to sort of evaporate. Again, hard to regenerate when the biomass you need to reform you body is scattered over a thousand square feet.

After the parasite is weakened and hopefully stuned by this barrage, a platoon or more of highly motivated riflemen with acid rifles emerge from cover surrounding the parasite, maintaining distase so it take time for it to chew through all of them. Using that time, the riflemen ablate the parasite's biomass, buying time for the snipers to reload for another shot. Repeat until the parasite has insufficient biomass left to protect its heart, then deliver the coup de grace.

Naturally, a Spectre gunship is circling the ambush site, ready to sanitize it if it goes to hell. Second back up plan is the fighters circling with napalm, third is the Ohio-class boomer off coast.

This is just a back-of-the-envelope general plan, that would require fairly favorable conditions to work. Thoughts? Suggestions? Less (or more!) destructive extermination plans of your own?

Last edited by Heir of the Void; 2014-10-22 at 19:07.
Old 2014-10-22, 19:45   Link #172
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Without a form of reproduction, parasytes could never be an actual threat to humanity.
They're just boogiemen for now.
Old 2014-10-22, 19:58   Link #173
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Without a form of reproduction, parasytes could never be an actual threat to humanity.
They're just boogiemen for now.
Yes, but they are boogiemen who kill people.

If the Parasites killed a confirmed 84 people in Japan alone over the two days since the mincemeat murders started, assuming an even rate of infection, that averages out to just under 1200 deaths a week in the US and Japan alone. Assuming rate of infection remains constant around the globe, that's over 20,000 deaths a week around the world. And that's probably lowballing it, because a parasite could be much more high profile in a place like Africa, where recording and communications tech is much less available.

While that's well below the population growth rate of 1.5 million a week, I'd really rather not live as a prey animal. Plus, the psychosocial aspect of knowing that anyone you meet could be a face-shifting monster that could eat your face would make everyone crazy or fatalistic, or both.
Old 2014-10-22, 20:13   Link #174
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 3

...Well that backfired spectacularly at the end there.
Now it's a cage match.

Anyway, until this point the parasites have been portrayed as a highly individualistic and utilitarian race. They kill each other just as much as their do humans since they lack interest in anything else beyond eating, even themselves. Tamiya is the second parasite besides Migi to show a change in this pattern and in her case she even more peculiar than him. Afterall like most normal parasites she seems to have replaced the original Tamiya Ryouko wholly so their shouldn't be a difference in behavior. She hints at her maturation being a bit different from the others as cause like Migi. But even so she shows some sense of empathy that Migi lacks despite being with Shinichi as long as she has with her host. Perhaps it is related to memories original Tamiya? In any case I'm really interested in finding that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post

IMO, I think he's just really stressed and confused about the whole situation. One can't blame him for that.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-10-22 at 21:09.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-22, 20:16   Link #175
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heir of the Void View Post
Yes, but they are boogiemen who kill people.

If the Parasites killed a confirmed 84 people in Japan alone over the two days since the mincemeat murders started, assuming an even rate of infection, that averages out to just under 1200 deaths a week in the US and Japan alone. Assuming rate of infection remains constant around the globe, that's over 20,000 deaths a week around the world. And that's probably lowballing it, because a parasite could be much more high profile in a place like Africa, where recording and communications tech is much less available.

While that's well below the population growth rate of 1.5 million a week, I'd really rather not live as a prey animal. Plus, the psychosocial aspect of knowing that anyone you meet could be a face-shifting monster that could eat your face would make everyone crazy or fatalistic, or both.
Meh, the worst possible outcome is social panic over the course of a century.
Less probably, as their numbers dwindle.

It'd go down in history sure, but wouldn't even put a dent in our growth of civilization.
Unfortunately, way too ineffective culling power.
Old 2014-10-22, 20:25   Link #176
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Meh, the worst possible outcome is social panic over the course of a century.
Less probably, as their numbers dwindle.

It'd go down in history sure, but wouldn't even put a dent in our growth of civilization.
Unfortunately, way too ineffective culling power.
Agreed. If their goal was to cull Humanity, there should have been about a hundred times more of them, leading to about 2,000,000 deaths a week. That would lead to a declining population, until we learned what was happening and increased our birthrate to compensate and stated hunting the parasites. I'd estimate that maybe 30% of the human population would die, but we'd recover eventually.

Ultimately, to be an effective control on Humanity, they'd need to be able to reproduce to affect more than an generation otherwise, either humantiry survives and moves on, or is wiped out.

And what was that 'Unfortunately' at the end there? Do I smell Heresy?

Old 2014-10-22, 20:34   Link #177
MCAL

So was it just me or was the OST much, much better than last week?
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-22, 20:48   Link #178
Iron Maw
Banned

No it's not just you. I thought the same too, but I didn't really have a problem with last week's music either though.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-22, 22:32   Link #179
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
IMO, I think he's just really stressed and confused about the whole situation. One can't blame him for that.
No, it's definitely more than that. His pathological fear of bugs is gone, and he's not afraid to stand up to bullies now. There's also his appetite.

Quote:
To adress your last point first, having an alien parasite attached to his body is probably affecting Shinichi's Hormone and maybe neurotransmitter levels. That would have a profound effect on his behavior, partically if Migi is 'balancing' levels.
That's not too bad. I was worried Migi might have been slowly spreading control to Shinichi's brain.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-22, 23:47   Link #180
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Agreed. If their goal was to cull Humanity, there should have been about a hundred times more of them, leading to about 2,000,000 deaths a week. That would lead to a declining population, until we learned what was happening and increased our birthrate to compensate and stated hunting the parasites. I'd estimate that maybe 30% of the human population would die, but we'd recover eventually.

Ultimately, to be an effective control on Humanity, they'd need to be able to reproduce to affect more than an generation otherwise, either humantiry survives and moves on, or is wiped out.

And what was that 'Unfortunately' at the end there? Do I smell Heresy?

It doesn't apply to Parasyte as this is more of a "wake up call" message theme story, but normally I like alien invasion to cull significant number of humans off this dirt. We could always use less human dirtbags... hey! don't point that thing at me!

Tags
action, gore, horror, sci-fi, violence