AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > High School DxD [LN/M]

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-04-02, 18:41   Link #1
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 38
High School DxD Light Novel - The Rating Game

This is a thread to discuss The Rating Game in High School DxD Light Novel.

As this is a source material thread, it is expected that you should be reasonably caught up to the latest source material when participating. However, if spoiling major plot points that others may not yet have read, please be considerate and use properly-labelled spoiler tags that indicate to the reader whether it's safe to open the tag. Spoiler tags with no label are not allowed!
Please stay on-topic.
  • No shipping talk
  • No pointless chatter
  • No posting raws or source illustrations
  • No posting translations of the source itself
  • No asking about when translations will be done
  • No posts only to update people about translation status (or to just say that something's "out")
  • No posts only to thank translators (please us PM or VM instead)

If you want to discuss a related topic, please feel free to request another thread be created about that topic.
__________________
[...]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-04-02 at 18:52.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 21:15   Link #2
itisp
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Australia
So what type of Rating Game would you like to see.

I want to see one that is based on an actual chess game. The kings take turns commanding their pieces to move, and should two pieces end up on the same square, they battle to see who the winner of that square is.
itisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 22:22   Link #3
G147
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: earth
That could only work if both side has the same amount of pieces which is almost impossible since many have different number of servants.
G147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 22:56   Link #4
itisp
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Australia
True, but stronger servants should be able to compensate for numbers. Unlike the board game where you win a square by kicking the previous piece out, it is a battle for each square.

For example, Issei as the only pawn should be able to take out several pieces as he journeys across the board, even if they come after him (and they would, they wouldn't want him to get to the end of the game field and achieve promotion, cause then he could move about like a queen for example).
itisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 23:01   Link #5
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lanvaldear :)
Send a message via MSN to kusabireika
^ Kiba is now over power servant who has 2 sacred gear balance breakers & and 5 Demonic Swords for 1 normal knight piece
__________________
kusabireika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 23:23   Link #6
jopjopjop
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Age: 27
That is almost the same as the Dice Figure rule.
jopjopjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 00:13   Link #7
sunsengnim
Highschool DxD Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopjopjop View Post
That is almost the same as the Dice Figure rule.
that's the same thing i thought as well + this kind of chess game would be sadly boring since everyone would always just send their strongest pieces forward.

since how itisp explains it it would just be a battle of who has the strongest peerage and it would have nothing to do with chess except for the movement of the pieces wich would just be silly.

it's actually really hard to come up with interesting rules for a rating game...
__________________
sunsengnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 00:16   Link #8
lived_1714
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Do we ever have huge Rating Game? Like 1 leader controlling 8 Kings?
lived_1714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 03:16   Link #9
G147
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by lived_1714 View Post
Do we ever have huge Rating Game? Like 1 leader controlling 8 Kings?
No, we don't have such a Rating Game.
G147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 17:36   Link #10
Lord of Agarest
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisp View Post
So what type of Rating Game would you like to see.

I want to see one that is based on an actual chess game. The kings take turns commanding their pieces to move, and should two pieces end up on the same square, they battle to see who the winner of that square is.
I thinked the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsengnim View Post
that's the same thing i thought as well + this kind of chess game would be sadly boring since everyone would always just send their strongest pieces forward.

since how itisp explains it it would just be a battle of who has the strongest peerage and it would have nothing to do with chess except for the movement of the pieces wich would just be silly.

it's actually really hard to come up with interesting rules for a rating game...
I don't think so.
You should use strategy: for example for to stop Ise it could be enought to move in front of him another Pawn.
During the battle with Rias's peerage, Sona's peerage used strategies against a superior (in stregth) enemy and almost win

"Dice figure rule" is more based on luck, and the King usually exit for last in their team
"Chess rule" can last short, if 1 king cannot defend himself

Last edited by Lord of Agarest; 2014-04-03 at 18:16.
Lord of Agarest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 18:24   Link #11
jopjopjop
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Agarest View Post
I don't think so.
You should use strategy: for example for to stop Ise it could be enought to move in front of him another Pawn.
During the battle with Rias's peerage, Sona's peerage used strategies against a superior (in stregth) enemy and almost win

"Dice figure rule" is more based on luck, and the King usually exit for last in their team
"Chess rule" can last short, if 1 king cannot defend himself
Then that's just the same as playing a normal chess.

And if strategy is what you want, there's already the normal type of Rating game and the Scramble Flag rule.
jopjopjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 18:51   Link #12
G147
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: earth
Just a random idea, how about a battle royal style Rating Game like Rias vs Sona vs Sairaorg vs Seekvaira.
G147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 19:04   Link #13
NeutralZero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Earth
since the rating game is based on chess,
then it is possible...
after all there's a 3 way and four way chess...
but with those power house team
going to expect the game to have some sort of power or move restriction that will certainly give Sona's team some advantage...
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-14, 09:24   Link #14
assmdxd
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: not in the real world any more (2.d world)
hii
didn't you agree with me that rias team become too strong to play rating game now
__________________

so cool
assmdxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-14, 09:36   Link #15
Chris38
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Poland
Age: 34
^ Nope, since there are always restrictions that can be put on a team in a Rating Game, that prevents them from using their full power.

Not to mention, most of their new moves / powers are OHKO's that surpass the retiring system of the Rating Game, which they can't use in a Rating Game.

Basically ... as it has been stated in the novels (if I remember it correctly) an actual live combat battlefield is quite different compared to a Rating Game.
Chris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-14, 09:45   Link #16
aw454wtr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris38 View Post
^ Nope, since there are always restrictions that can be put on a team in a Rating Game, that prevents them from using their full power.

Not to mention, most of their new moves / powers are OHKO's that surpass the retiring system of the Rating Game, which they can't use in a Rating Game.

Basically ... as it has been stated in the novels (if I remember it correctly) an actual live combat battlefield is quite different compared to a Rating Game.
This is the reason why rating game fights (except for saiaorg) are always going to unfair to the gremory group,

prehaps the devils can improve the retirement systems to the point where even getting hit with longinus smasher can be survivable thus negating the need for restrictions alltogether, though that will screw over sona's group badly
aw454wtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-14, 10:11   Link #17
jopjopjop
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Age: 27
The Gremory team can just scare the living shit out of the opponents.

Give them the choice to retire themselves or die.
jopjopjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-14, 10:47   Link #18
NeutralZero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Earth
What the Ggremory group really needs is a sound tactic that rely not just on power but with techniques and wits.
It is only natural to put a handicap on them in it.
Other wise it is like playing with an opponent whose pieces are all queen.
And rather than just OHKO to the enemies
it'll be an OTK esp with Rias or Isse.
And even if they are just a team of muscle/power, if they can use it in a creative way, they can circumvent the limitations given to them.
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-14, 11:32   Link #19
XFire
150% done
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Something alot of people seem to ignore is that the reason the Gremory team is "handicapped" is to simulate actual battle conditions. In vol 7 and 9, they fought under more or less the same conditions as the Sitri match, and Ise even mentioned that the match was good experience for those situations.
__________________
XFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-14, 11:38   Link #20
jopjopjop
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Age: 27
Vol. 7 & 9? How can that be the same condition as the Sitri match? The power of the Gremory team isn't held back to minimal at those battles.
jopjopjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.