AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-04-18, 23:56   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 863 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

The wedding crashing begins! Credit goes to AP's Redon for the spoiler:

-Chapter title is "Consummate Chivalry". Splash is a color page this week.

-We get a brief flashback explaining the idea behind Luffy's prank: A few hours before the wedding, he proposed capturing a bunch of animals from the forest, disguising them as himself, and bursting out of the cake. Back in the present, the cake is destroyed by the stampede of mirror-Luffys. Naturally, Big Mom is most displeased that her cake is ruined, and orders her chefs to bring out a new one immediately. Unfortunately, they can't bake a new cake on such short notice, which prompts Big Mom to punish them....

-She chants "Life or Wedding Cake", and takes the life force from the chefs! We then get an explanation of the mechanics behind BM's soul-stealing powers: Her "Soul Vocals" are connected to a person's attachments. Basically, any person who has even the slightest fear of death can get their lifespan stolen from them. Meanwhile, the Luffy doppelgangers continue rampaging on the venue, and even Big Mom is confused as to which one is the real McCoy. Capone is secretly smug about how well the disturbance plan is going.... that is, until the REAL Luffy reveals himself to Big Mom anyway, lol.

-As Luffy is about to aim for the picture of Mother Caramel, Katakuri uses his foresight, then literally stretches his legs from afar to kick the rubber man! While Luffy is literally covered in his leg, Katakuri demands how he figured out the significance of that picture. However, before he gets an answer out of the young pirate, Jinbei appears, splashing the commander's legs with tea! The tea dissolves Katakuri's feet, allowing Luffy to escape. Jinbei then explains that Katakuri is a user of the Mochi Mochi no Mi, a logia-type power (most likely based on the Japanese confection). As was just demonstrated, one can escape the commander's clutches if his body is moistened, but it's still best to not let your guard down against him....

-Jinbei then covers for Capone by announcing himself as the one who told Luffy about the photo. He also tells Big Mom of his intention to leave her and join Luffy instead, a declaration that pleases the rubber man. BM orders him to accept the punishment if he's leaving, and the fish-man, being a man of honor, agrees to it.... on the condition that she harms nobody else. She then activates her Soul Vocals, asking him "Stay, or Life" Naturally, Jinbei chooses the latter....

-And so, the expected lifespan shortening.... doesn't happen. This was because Jinbei showed no fear of death upon facing Big Mom. He tells her that a man who will become a companion of the future Pirate King has no need to fear one of the Yonkou. Thus, if Linlin is not taking his life, he'll formally retract his pledge to her and quit the Big Mom pirates! Linlin obviously doesn't take kindly to this, and commands Zeus and Prometheus to finish off Jinbei, but amidst all of the ruckus, the Caramel picture ends up getting destroyed after all. Who did the deed? Why, none other than.... BROOKE.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-19, 00:45   Link #2
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

I have feeling the stupid Vinsmoke family will join the fray to aid big mom due not aware their situation yet.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-19, 07:43   Link #3
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
I have feeling the stupid Vinsmoke family will join the fray to aid big mom due not aware their situation yet.
Most likely but Reiju could be the one who can convince them anyways.

I thought of something else... I don't think Big Mom got replacement of Caramel's picture for it since it was precious to have one with it.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-19, 09:52   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This chapter sounds awesome. I guess Jinbe avoided his death flags after all, for now at least.
Old 2017-04-19, 12:09   Link #5
Rainbowman

Another epic chapter I must say.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-19, 12:27   Link #6
The Small One

It sounds a bit strange, that during all the ruckus, BM still has the time to negotiate with Jinbei.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 05:30   Link #7
Hoodspirit

Wonderful chapter.
Like I thought in the last chapter's thread it would have been weird for the actual crew members to be the Luffy mirrors when he was supposed to be the decoy. Glad that it got wrapped up this way.

BM's Soul Pocus is OP if one is forced to answer. The head chef didn't respond at all and got his life taken.
One tiny bit of new info on Katakuri's future view. Limiting his view is, at least not only, because of his own actions.
More distrust within the family, more chances of victory. And in front of their eyes Mama's aura of being unopposable took a giant hit with Jinbei surviving.
Ceasar in tears... that surprised me. Like really, where did that came from? Bege starts to feel the charm of the Straw Hats. Luffy seems to be on the way to unite the worst generation under himself.

Don't let Morgans get a heart attack from all the 'big news'. However, nothing of it yet feels like a Reverie-shocking big news yet. Other's of the Worst Generation already challenged BM, it's only big enough if she falls in some way.

According to the plan she will start screaming/Haki release in three seconds, won't it be a bit late if Chopper/Nami/Carrot move out at the same time?
What I wonder about is, whether it is possible for Luffy to 'coat' people in his own Conquerer's Haki to shield them from BM's Haki. Could possibly protect the scaredy cats among the Crew from her Soul Pocus too if it were possible.

Anyway, excited for the next chapter. We still miss the reactions of Sanji's family for some reason.

Last edited by Hoodspirit; 2017-04-20 at 07:08.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 08:33   Link #8
danielevo

Cant wait for next chapter..

My fears is what if destroying mother carmel just make big mom become even more stronger ? It maybe explained previous chapter that someone drop it and bigmom become pale and bleed, but what happen next is my question.

Btw bigmom soul power is dissapointing, it make luffy zoro sanji not get the effect, maybe just usop nami and choper that power will be work
danielevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 11:04   Link #9
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

noooo I don't want Jinbei to join
he is not a fun guy.. we just need Nami as straight one in the crews

I admit Jinbei is really cool... but that is if only that last page didn't happen

Brook is the MVP of this arc
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 12:02   Link #10
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Jinbei was a true boss!

Agreed with the above Brooke really is doing the best this arc.

Though since Big Mom is beyond pissed right now will she instantly revert to the version they tried to achieve? The plan was when she was at ease and rest and then break the picture, wonder if it will still go as planned.

Wonder if Reiju will be able to convince the vinsmokes.

Surprised that Katakiri had a logia type df. Also i thought his premonition ability was his df so a little confused.

Last edited by ars89; 2017-04-20 at 12:12.
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 12:28   Link #11
The Small One

I was a bit surprised, that we didn't see much Vinsmokes in this chapter. Why didn't they react at all? Or are the already dead?
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 12:37   Link #12
Ultragunner

i have a question, how is mochi an element?
Shouldn't Katakuri's mochi devil fruit a Paracemia?
Old 2017-04-20, 12:58   Link #13
J4n1

Personally, i don't think Jimbe (Jinbe? Jimbei? Jinbei?), the fishguy is someone i really want to join the crew.
I've no doubt Oda will make it work, but i think Oda could do better.

That said, Jimbe in this chapter was badass, and showed his worth.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 13:08   Link #14
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
noooo I don't want Jinbei to join
he is not a fun guy.. we just need Nami as straight one in the crews

I admit Jinbei is really cool... but that is if only that last page didn't happen

Brook is the MVP of this arc
Who else that will manage to handle the Straw hats beside Jinbe anyway?

Jinbe is already a badass in the diplomacy so he is really needed to become Straw Hat crew to do so.

Brook could be scared but... I think Oda will make he is scared as a joke once again and since Brook is a precious asset to Big Mom if she possess it, she can't take out Brook.
Old 2017-04-20, 14:33   Link #15
marvelB

I dunno about anyone else, but the conditions for Big Mama's soul-snatching ability reminds me a bit of that one guy Goku fought in early Dragonball.... you know, that devil guy (I think his name was Akuman?). He had that beam that instantly killed anyone who had the tiniest trace of evil within them, and BM's power feels like it works off of a similar principle (just replace evil with fear.... though in a way, fear can lead to evil too, I guess). Heck, maybe that was what inspired the idea behind BM's power in the first place. Oda's a well-known DB fan, after all.

Also, once again Brooke steals the show! Damn, the guy's on a roll this arc! Snatching the poneglyph copy, surviving solo against Big Mom, and now getting away with destroying that photo (even if it's in a silly Luffy disguise)... man, the guy deserves an even bigger bounty hike than Usopp got for Dressrosa! How about adding another 500 million to the Soul King's he- er, I mean, skull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
The funny thing is, if the logia classification really wasn't an error on Oda's part, then this makes Katakuri the first canon candy logia user in the series. I say "canon" since one of the movies (I think the fourth one) had a villain who was also a candy-type logia. Anyway, at least the power is fitting for the commander since it matches so well with his namesake (Katakuri=corn starch, which is an ingredient for mochi)....
Old 2017-04-20, 14:51   Link #16
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Surprised that Katakiri had a logia type df. Also i thought his premonition ability was his df so a little confused.
His premonition ability comes from his haki. He fine tuned his observation haki to such a high degree that he can actually view a few seconds into the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
Well Fire isn't exactly on the periodic table of elements; its a chemical reaction not an element. What does the term "element" strictly mean in this context? So why the hell not let mochi be an element?

Quote:
Katakuri=corn starch
Ya about that... shouldn't his name simply be corn starch? Translations seem to make it dogtooth for some reason. if its a word with double meaning in japanese then corn starch seems more appropriate since it fits with the rest of Big mom's children who are named after foods
Old 2017-04-20, 15:02   Link #17
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Ya about that... shouldn't his name simply be corn starch? Translations seem to make it dogtooth for some reason. if its a word with double meaning in japanese then corn starch seems more appropriate since it fits with the rest of Big mom's children who are named after foods

It's only MS that calls him "Dogtooth" (which is a reference to a plant that was also used to make starch in Japan). As I said in a previous thread, they probably went with that name because they thought it sounded cool. Otherwise, all other translation (official included!) sticks with Katakuri.
Old 2017-04-20, 18:24   Link #18
Superstars
Final Boss

I don't like the arc so far nor the chapter.
No sense of danger or tension. Just goofiness and small talk.
Superstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 21:59   Link #19
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
His premonition ability comes from his haki. He fine tuned his observation haki to such a high degree that he can actually view a few seconds into the future
Well, with that ruckus his haki doesn't bode well as Brooke was able to slip through and smash Mother Caramel's picture without him realizing it.

@MarvelB

Well, i do hope Marines will butt in to this situation anyway since newspaper will not help them much as they have to see by their own on how Straw Hats make such collateral damage like that. They are the only faction that holds authority over bounties.
Old 2017-04-20, 23:13   Link #20
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Well, gotta love the surprise attack they did in Big Moms Wedding, that was boss. Luffy every now and than thinks up some thing clever. Jinbei is awesome, loved this guy since the War arc, he better be joining here, please no fake deaths for him Oda, just let the man join.

Why was this called " The year of Sanji"? He hasn't been impressive to me at all in his so called arc, actually in my opinion this arc made him look worse. Than again, Sanji was always my least favorite of the strawhats due to favoritism towards girls and treating Guy's like crap, even his Captian.

By the end of this arc hey'll have another Allie from the SuperNova group. Next up, Kid.
I'm hoping Kid returns next arc, I want him to get a focused arc like Law got with Dof pretty much. That I'd love to see Luffy and Kids rivalry front and center, it'd be hilarious

And than we have Brooke, Woopsy almost forgot about this guy. I have to say, this arc has impressed me with his character.

Wonder if the Strawhats will get another bounty up rise? If Luffy does a lot of damage to Big Mom and her crew and the government see this than I could see his going up again, man every arc it seems to cause more and more craziness around the world.

Can't wait for Kaidou, he's next on the list right?

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote