AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-17, 22:51   Link #1
onearmedscissor
elda taluta

i thought lililicious was a part of ayu..

so why are they starting to sub haru too? i wonder if they'll finish before ayu...
Old 2004-10-18, 04:01   Link #2
baik!
baik the cow!

Send a message via ICQ to baik!
i remember someone mentioning that there was a possibility that lililicious would sub marimite haru too. nothing wrong with that, competition never hurt anyone (most of the time ).

the strange thing is that i can't seem to load the lililicious site to read what they have to say..... a few other sites like iichan too! i have no idea why. even loading mir*x gives me a different date everytime i refresh!

i just ported over to firefox, is firefox the problem?
Old 2004-10-18, 06:16   Link #3
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

No, Lililicious states in their channel that their site is down.

And before Ayu adopted the marimite project, it was a joint effort between A-Source and Lililicious(different groups), after that it seems they finished the collaboration and A-Source brought the project with them, fussing with Ayu. And well, thats pretty much it

But yeah, Lililicious released Haru 01 recently it seems.
Old 2004-10-18, 19:45   Link #4
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

Send a message via AIM to SCR512
yup, maybe some comp will make us magicly faster

we'll have to see
Old 2004-10-20, 02:22   Link #5
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

You can't predict Ayu's action now.

They released Spring episode 9 now.
Old 2004-10-20, 02:29   Link #6
^PaNdA
I hate you n_n

of course not. life is unpredictable. :fingers:
Old 2004-10-20, 11:40   Link #7
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessHeart
You can't predict Ayu's action now.

They released Spring episode 9 now.
Good thing you mentioned something. I totally missed it on the front page.
Old 2004-10-20, 22:45   Link #8
Sharkbark
Annoying Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Sharkbark
Yeah, for whatever reason I was under the impression that the people from Lililicious and A-Source joined together and formed Ayu o.O; . I'm a little sad because I wanted to stay loyal to Lili since they are the shoujo-ai fansub group (and that's what I'm all about) :\ . But Ayu's done such an awesome job with the subbing that I can't complain. I'll probably check out Lili's subs too but I doubt that they can catch up with Ayu at this point.
Old 2004-10-21, 02:50   Link #9
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

scary another person from Austin,TX

ya, either version is good... though I am baised ^___^

Last edited by SCR512; 2004-10-21 at 16:41.
Old 2004-10-21, 12:14   Link #10
hooliganj
Team Player

Hook 'em Horns!

*ahem* It's odd that Lililicious would begin releasing it now. I wonder what they feel they can add that would improve on the Ayu version. Although, if Lili goes weekly, and Ayu stays at the rate they are now, Lili might beat them to the last episode.
Old 2004-10-22, 09:25   Link #11
Archaic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
Hook 'em Horns!

*ahem* It's odd that Lililicious would begin releasing it now. I wonder what they feel they can add that would improve on the Ayu version.
An opening karaoke without obvious errors in the romanization for starters it would seem. The subtitles also seem closer in font and colourisation to the A-Source and Lililicious releases of the 1st season, which is nice for continuity if nothing else.

I'll need to dig out Ayu's version of the sub for the 1st ep again, but watching Lililicious's version, I felt their translations were overall very tight, and given their record compared to Ayu as far as translators go (Ayu's had numerous problems in that department in the past, or so one of their members led me to believe, in terms of both quality and availability), I'd personally trust theirs a lot more than I would Ayu's. The fact that Lililicious is made up of lesbian otaku who only translate stories with yuri and/or shoujo ai themes just adds a nice little psychological icing to the cake. You just know this is a labour of love for these girls.

Quote:
Although, if Lili goes weekly, and Ayu stays at the rate they are now, Lili might beat them to the last episode.
Just so long as someone finishes the series soon, I'll be happy. I was in hospital for the past few weeks, and so missed them while they were on TV. Can't even seem to find a raw copy anywhere anymore.
Old 2004-10-22, 10:31   Link #12
Proto

You can always go for the Chinese subs in emule
Old 2004-10-22, 10:36   Link #13
Archaic

Tempting, but considering I've waited this long, I can afford to wait a little longer. Besides, no one here in Asia can really encode to save their life. I'd rather wait for an ep that's not going to look totally ugly from a ruined encode. The raw sources are bad enough as it is. It's amazing that any fansub group can clean them up to the extent that they do.
Old 2004-10-22, 12:53   Link #14
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic
An opening karaoke without obvious errors in the romanization for starters it would seem. The subtitles also seem closer in font and colourisation to the A-Source and Lililicious releases of the 1st season, which is nice for continuity if nothing else.
I never pay attention to the karaoke in anything I watch. It just makes me think that the subbers have far too much free time on their hands to do all the timing and type-setting required to pull off a trick that is, ultimately, pointless.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 2004-10-22, 13:25   Link #15
Proto

Well... normally there are team members dedicated to type setting as such (in the case of Ayu, SCR does that part I think) so you won't lose much man-time there.

And, although it isnt an integral part of the fansub, it definitely adds to the mood, at least IMO.
Old 2004-10-22, 14:43   Link #16
baik!
baik the cow!

Send a message via ICQ to baik!
Quote:
I never pay attention to the karaoke in anything I watch. It just makes me think that the subbers have far too much free time on their hands to do all the timing and type-setting required to pull off a trick that is, ultimately, pointless.
it's called the labour of love. if you love something enough, even the little details matter.
Old 2004-10-22, 18:17   Link #17
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

I didn't do the karaoke on Maria ~haru~ thats jongus work. I do in-episode signs and choose the dialogue font. I assure you our translation and translator are good. Hikata and Jonny-mt are the translators that work on this series with outside help from Sachiko (well now shes helping Lililicious) and kj1980. Like I was saying earlier, both versions are good, though both have weak points. Despite giving the Lililicious typesetter tips, I find their use of colours and styling in their episode to be unfriendly to the eye... that whole blue thing just irks me alot. Though, I come from a school of thought.. were you as the typesetter keep things as close as posisble to the episode. If I can typeset a sign or credits so well that a viewer doesn't even notice, then thats great... Lililicious on the other hand went completely 180 degrees on this. Lililicious despite their typesetting uglyness has better raws, well better in the sense that they lack the time code that we have in our raws. That and yes, they have a dedicated staff of yuri otakus... But that doesn't count us out mind you.. we wouldn't even do this project if we didn't like the series

Yes... you will get you "yuriness" faster.. Don't count on them beating us to 13 ^___^

Ediit: Actually I did ep 5 insert karaoke and the infamous "rap" karaoke.
Old 2004-10-22, 23:15   Link #18
Takemi_Ikazuchi

Lilicious' reason in a gist, as quoted per Okazu:

"In late 2003, Marimite, as it is called among fans, premiered as a 13-episode anime, which told the stories covered in the first several novels. These are available now as bittorrent fansubs by the lovely ladies and gentlemen of Lililicious. The folks at Lililicious are very particular about translation, the levels of formailty in the language and other things which many fansub groups smooth out or don't notice, so I highly recommend these fansubs over the others. Geneon has not, as of this date, announced any licensed version for the American market - but we remain hopeful.

In early summer 2004, the second season - also 13 episodes. The current fansubs are being done by a group called Ayu - sadly, I feel that they are lacking in almost all the things I mention above. Everyone sounds the same, slang and formality alike are glossed over. Yes, you can get the idea of what they mean - but you won't be told what they *are saying*"
Old 2004-10-23, 02:10   Link #19
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCR512
I didn't do the karaoke on Maria ~haru~ thats jongus work. I do in-episode signs and choose the dialogue font. I assure you our translation and translator are good. Hikata and Jonny-mt are the translators that work on this series with outside help from Sachiko (well now shes helping Lililicious) and kj1980.
I help out?!
Old 2004-10-23, 13:29   Link #20
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

^PaNdA asks your questions and your on the credits.... so ya =p
Closed Thread