I think it would be interesting and possibly helpful to have a topic where people can list songs from anime that use or are based off of non-anime music. Not just when the music is straight up used (ala Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Hyouka, or JoJo ending songs), but where the pieces are worked around a lot or inserted into otherwise unrelated songs.
Examples I can think of off the top of my head (might help people understand what this thread is about):
- Mahou Shoujotai Arusu/Tweeny Witches's ending theme incorporating Strauss's The Blue Danube
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 2012 (Part 2)'s song WELCOME TO THE WORLD starting out with the main riff of Yes's Owner of a Lonely Heart
- Gunslinger Girl's ED being an Italian and quite different rendition of Gabriel Fauré's Aprés un Rêve
- Eureka Seven's fourth OP incorporating Amazing Grace into the background
- Another, though less creative Amazing Grace... The ending song to Mardock Scramble: The First Compression had a lovely rendition of the song and even included some Japanese phrases in it.
- Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion also had its own unique version of Ave Maria.
- Gasaraki's armament and Macross Zero's Ground Operation working with the same stock orchestral riff (Gasaraki and Macross Zero have the same composer but I have heard this same riff by American composers in video games and documentaries before that he had no part in)
- Macross Zero, again... its track VF-Zero utilized Starship Trooper's Klendathu Drop piece.
- And for a far more controversial example, one that actually required a formal apology and a total replacement of a song, not to mention a recall and halt on all sales of the OST... Noragami Aragoto had a track that used Azan, an Islamic call to prayer (NOT meant to be used for entertainment purposes ever) in it. What was the title of this Noragami track? Push buttons.
- and I might just be imagining this one but Yoko Kanno's Sesshoku from Darker Than Black makes me think of Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train (the guitar riff at the start and a bit past the mdidle) every time I hear it.
Those are just the examples I could think of off the top of my head (and there are many I'm simply not aware of at all... I have the feeling Macross Zero used bits of music from many different sources, for example, that I'm simply not aware of or haven't quite realized).
Post any examples you guys can think of.