AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-12-20, 19:00   Link #1101
DanielSong39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Canvas 2 absolutely elevated itself into the "dating sim adaptation" hall-of-fame with the last episode. A total shocker, but one that makes more sense upon closer inspection. The current list: (Note, this is a personal list)

To Heart (1999)
D.C. ~ Da Capo (2003)
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (2003)
AIR TV (2005)
Canvas 2 ~ Niji iro no Sketch (2005)

As for 2006 offerings, Kanon and Gift are the most obvious candidates but it looks like they will fall short. Let's see what 2007 offers. (School Days, perhaps?)
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 11:33   Link #1102
axeps2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
thanks for the wallpapers. I am always a lousy seeker of wallpapers. any sharing of techniques/sites will be appreciated

And I just finished the show recently too. Was shocked by tomoko part in the last episode.. why did they have to show it in that way I wonder...
And who was the onichan from the hospital mentioned by tomoko?
And what did Hiroki try to tell Kiri in the train at the last episode?

Did Hiroki break off his duties to the school? or he is still advisor to the art club

And does the game it is based on has multi-endings like most other similar games?

Last edited by axeps2; 2006-12-21 at 22:15.
axeps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 13:55   Link #1103
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by axeps2 View Post
And what did Hiroki try to tell Kiri in the train at the last episode?

And does the game it is based on has multi-endings like most other similar games?
I think I can tackle these two... (I'd have to rewatch to remember the first question).

That scene where Kiri can't understand Hiroki is mostly symbollic -- it doesn't really matter what he said. Earlier on in the anime, they made the point that because both Hiroki and Kiri were teachers, they could understand each other. Kiri's comment that "I can't understand you anymore" (or however the line went exactly) was not only literal, but also a reference to that earlier comment. Because Hiroki chose the artist's life, Kiri can no longer understand him; the one who can understand him now is Elis (hence Kiri's subsequent "we're going back to being childhood friends"). A lot of what went on in the final episode was symbollic, actually.

And yes, the game has multiple endings depending on the choices you make. (That was an easy answer. )
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 16:04   Link #1104
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I didn't like at all the last scene before the ending credits. If they meant to scare me showing Tomoko (apparently) dying, well they succeded ... but it's not like I'm congratulating. I found that to be a bad joke, totally gratuitous. Thaks God, Tomoko was eventually fine.
omg that i have to agree...i nearly cried and my heart was torn from the inside (ripped to shreads) ~ i thought "thats it...if they showed her tombstone in the end credits im gonna go jump off a bridge" ~ luckily im still alive to comment here

well from a recommendation i finally managed to finnish the series...

imo its one of the best harem series ive seen ~ the last ep made it go straight up there to well in my top 3 ^_^

i found it somewat refreshing to see a main lead girl not going crazy at the sight of her onii chan meeting with another women ~ tbh i didnt like elis near the start when she started to show her "jealous" moods...but as the series went on she developed a hell lot ~ one of the most mature female leads ive seen to be honest...hers and hiroki's role was kinda switched near the end as hiroki still struggles with his own problems elis has already solved hers and was planning on moving on ~

another thing different about this is the factor that hiroki has to juggle ~ childhood friend or close reletive? imo he handled it quite well in the end as he made the resolve to paint again ~ even tho he did seem oblivious at first i think its just his personality...he confined his feelings and tried to force himself to adapt into being a teacher (which wasnt his style) ~

the side cast was great ~ viva la tomoko! *waves flag* this fisty gothic lolita was soo moe to me i would swear to bow to her in only i hadnt made that pact with gin sama already

hagino is also a comedy goddess ~ once again i also agree that she and tomoko deserves a spin off

well as another series bites the dust it leaves another gaping hole ~ canvas 2 was a shocking surprise to me as i thought nothing much of it as i started watching ~ just your average harem series that doesn move (most of the times) ~ but tbh there wasnt much harem to begin with...just a love triangle ^_^

solid 10/10 in my books...it was a masterpiece painted in front of my eyes ~

and for the record ~ i feel sorry for shouta...he tried soo hard >.< unlucky
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 17:15   Link #1105
retardation
phantom loser
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: toronto
Age: 34
the ending of this anime makes me want to punch someone in the face... really.
retardation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 01:26   Link #1106
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 35
Well, maybe this'll be another sort of Canvas 2 ending that'll provoke a slightly different reaction... the art cards and calendar cards from the final Canvas 2 DVD (finally! ). As usual, the first art card ties in to mini-drama included with the last LE DVD.
Spoiler for Canvas 2 DVD 12 Artcards:
And seeing as they ran out of DVD covers for the calendar, they threw in a special bonus for the final calendar card.
Spoiler for Canvas 2 DVD 12 Calendar Cards (the last one is NSFW!):
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 01:56   Link #1107
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ and what a surprise that the NSFW one is the my fave girl in this series definitely eyecandy
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 22:09   Link #1108
Tasdern
Kairin fan club member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Age: 50
Interesting

Ok, Time for my 2 cents.
I just finished the series and I liked it. I had recently watched Shuffle! and I’m glad this was different.

Spoiler:


It was a good one.
__________________
"When I grow up, I want to be a cartoon."
Tasdern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 22:57   Link #1109
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Can someone please tell me the name of the instrumental piano song which plays when Elis said goodbye to Hiroki, and Hiroki takes a look at the paintings in Episode 24 (?)
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 23:00   Link #1110
TigerII
Pilot in Training
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Earth
At the end I went, WTF your like 20 is shes like 13 and then when they showed her fainting I went WTFOMGBBQ11/11!!!//? Then they showed her waking up and that was good, but then they showed those two in bed and I went WTFOMGBBQ again.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 03:00   Link #1111
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
At the end I went, WTF your like 20 is shes like 13 and then when they showed her fainting I went WTFOMGBBQ11/11!!!//? Then they showed her waking up and that was good, but then they showed those two in bed and I went WTFOMGBBQ again.
Actually, Elis is 16..which would be old enough to get married. (Which they did in the game). My guess for Hiroki's age would be anywhere between 20-22.

And that bedtime scene ranks highly among my "sweetest anime moments" list
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 15:35   Link #1112
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Manila, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Actually, Elis is 16..which would be old enough to get married. (Which they did in the game). My guess for Hiroki's age would be anywhere between 20-22.

And that bedtime scene ranks highly among my "sweetest anime moments" list

lol @ TigerII....

Yeah, Elise is old enough. I believe the manga touched up on her age at one point. Or am I mistaken...

And I think Hiroki is officially 21...I think...as in....how many years ago was C2....ah, so he is 23 now
__________________

Hmmmmm....
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
-*Feel My Birthday 2016!
-*RIP my last Hermit Crab, 2011-2015
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at ??%, holes closing one by one...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
>My current sig is Yagami Ko from New Game!
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 15:43   Link #1113
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 60
Hey, at least ya'll attempted to translate and answer .... the lack of names and other nouns made it indecipherable to me. (which faint?, which time?, which girl?) and the age was dead wrong of course.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 16:21   Link #1114
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hey, at least ya'll attempted to translate and answer .... the lack of names and other nouns made it indecipherable to me.
In times like this you improvise - answer something and hope it addressed the point that was brought up
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 22:57   Link #1115
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nazareth, PA
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Canvas 2 [MAJOR SPOILERS]

Okay, I just finished this. It was really good... until the last 12 minutes of the series.

WHAT. THE. HECK.

Spoiler:


I need to do what I did after watching the ending of Chrono Crusade (and I nearly cried); watch the ending of Scrapped Princess. Because that was a REAL happy ending. That was a happy ending and it was the CORRECT happy ending.

>_>

<_<

Okay. I'm done rambling now. Anyone else wanna comment? Or not... >_<
__________________
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future. –General George S. Patton, Jr.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."

Last edited by JagdPanther; 2007-04-02 at 06:11.
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 23:13   Link #1116
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Manila, Philippines
I have a comment right here. Oh, it's that thread I started....
__________________

Hmmmmm....
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
-*Feel My Birthday 2016!
-*RIP my last Hermit Crab, 2011-2015
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at ??%, holes closing one by one...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
>My current sig is Yagami Ko from New Game!
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 23:24   Link #1117
TigerII
Pilot in Training
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Earth
It is very common in East Asia for cousins to have relationships. No comment on other points.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 01:03   Link #1118
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 60
Its actually legal in most of the world, including most of the USA ... its just rather unusual in urbanized settings. The "kissing cousins" refrain became somewhat derogatory in the US last century because it implied you were "country people" rather than "sophisticated types" .... of course, the usual example is of Einstein (who married his cousin).
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 02:49   Link #1119
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Okay, I just finished this. It was really good... until the last 12 minutes of the series.

WHAT. THE. HECK.

Okay, whoever wrote the script to that anime did exactly what Kevin Smith suggested Peter Jackson do at the end of the 3rd LotR movie: You have the "great job" in the bag, so take a TOTAL LEFT HAND TURN with the ending.

First of all: Hiroki... YOU CRUSHED THE SAME GIRL TWICE? Oh my God. I wanna smack you. If you were real, I'd use you for target practice with my largest calibre rifle.... My God, how can you do that? Have you no shame? That girl frickin' loves you, says it twice, you reject her once, you even imagine having a great relationship with her, and then... you dump her again. Which, to be honest, until the last 2 minutes of the series, I thought Kiri was just overreacting and the credits would show them back together. Guess not. Which leads me to my second point...
So...what would you have him do considering he does not love her? Yes, it sucks to be Kiri, but there is nothing that can be done about it. Hiroki and Kiri just didn't tick. There was no chemistry. She asked him if all they can talk about is food/work/Tv ... and she was right - there was nothing else they had they could talk about.

Difference is instead of showing Hiroki having thoughts about Elis trough the series (which he might have had - we have no idea what is going on in his head for the most part, because there is no narration and he keeps a poker face) they showed Hiroki and Kiri not working.

Hiroki is a painter, not a teacher. And the two girls represent those aspects - a teacher and an artist. Also, pay attention to Hagino's comments about the novel/story she is writing The hints were there.

Quote:
Second Point: Elis is blood related. BLOOD RELATED. B-L-O-O-D R-E-L-A-T-E-D. Do you follow? BLOOD RELATED. "Oh, but the power of love..." NO. Blood relation = off limits. THAT'S THE END OF THE FRICKIN' ARGUMENT.
Does not matter.. Not at all, what so ever. First cousin marriage is perfectly fine in the wast majority of the world, so there are no problems in this regard. This has been said over and over again, but i will say it again -

1st cousin Marriage is fine in all of Europe, as it is in Canada and Mexico. It is also fine in 26 of the USA states. And the restrictions in the other states predate modern genetics. And most important of all - it is fine in Japan!

In the game Elis and Hiroki get married, which takes place in France, which is perfectly fine because none of the European countries have anything against it.
End of fricking argument.

Quote:
And what the hell, the entire final 1/4 of that series was about characters realizing that they can't brood on the past and they need to MOVE ON. Okay, Hiroki dumping Kiri and gettin' it on with his COUSIN is NOT moving forward. I mean, come on. Elis got over her fear of red and decided to go to Paris. Tomoko decided to get her surgery. Kiri confessed... again. The logical conclusion is that Hiroki starts painting again. THAT'S IT. He shows Elis the painting and that's it! She gets on the plane and everyone goes home happy! Or not... Which brings me to my next point
That was exactly moving on. He finally started to paint again -> moved on from settling with a teacher job, back to what he really wanted to do. And he moved on with his relationship as well. He might have loved Kiri back then, but that was not the case anymore.

Did he really have any feelings for Kiri? Or was it just a ghost of the past? Well, he got over those past memories and straighted things out. He didn't seem like he was actually pursuing the relationship with Kiri, was he ? He was settling for it, just like he thought he would settle for the teacher job. In the end he chose to move on and chase the dream that he wanted to, not settle for whats in front of him. And it was because of Elis he chose to take a step forward, not because of Kiri.

Quote:
Third Point: Shouta-kun. WTH. He gets screwed? Come on. Kiri should've gotten over her... overreaction and her and Hiroki should've gotten back together (not that I think they were ever separated). And along the lines of MOVING-THE-HECK-ON, Elis should've given Shouta a chance. I don't mean fall for him right then and there, but as she's leaving, just say that she thinks he's "okay" or something. My God. The kid was so good to her. Give him a little something. Elis, for the love of God, at least entertain the thought of liking a kid who will always pamper you.
This is almost the same as your first point - sucks to be him, but what can you do? She doesn't have feelings for him. Sorry, but that is not her fault, nor is she supposed to have any just because a guy was nice to her. There are a lot of nice guys out there. Not every girls has the "he did something nice to me 7 years ago so i devote my body and soul to him" attitude we see in animes so often

Quote:
Fourth Point: There was NO REASON TO "KILL" TOMOKO. I don't care if you find out she lives in the credits (what, all 2 seconds of a 1/4 frame clip of her waking up?). Now, I may be biased towards her because I thought she was the cutest female in the cast, but MY GOD. WHAT THE HECK WAS THE POINT OF MAKING ME THINK SHE DIED? That was a HUUUUUGGEEEE mistake.
I agree it was a huuuge shocker - i think my heart flipped But i have to commend them on a well done shocker

Quote:
The ending of this series just pissed me off. It was a fabulous series until the final 12 minutes. Then it just went to hell.
It was a fabulous series from beginning till the end, and it is definitely one of the best "harem"(and i use the term very loosely, more as a reference to the anime's origins) animes ever made.

And i am very happy with the ending, because for once we have a nice, conclusive one. (And the last scene is one of the sweetest things ever >.<)


__________________

Last edited by Skyfall; 2007-04-02 at 03:30.
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 06:20   Link #1120
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nazareth, PA
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
So...what would you have him do considering he does not love her? Yes, it sucks to be Kiri, but there is nothing that can be done about it. Hiroki and Kiri just didn't tick. There was no chemistry. She asked him if all they can talk about is food/work/Tv ... and she was right - there was nothing else they had they could talk about.
I'm not so sure about that. I was kinda confused by that episode, because I think it was a step backwards in the relationship. Just didn't seem to fit the flow of things. That was a cop-out, to me, to show that "It's not gonna work, folks."
Quote:
Hiroki is a painter, not a teacher. And the two girls represent those aspects - a teacher and an artist. Also, pay attention to Hagino's comments about the novel/story she is writing The hints were there.
True, but I don't think it has to be the end of Kiri when he picks up the brush again.
Quote:
Does not matter.. Not at all, what so ever. First cousin marriage is perfectly fine in the wast majority of the world, so there are no problems in this regard. This has been said over and over again, but i will say it again -

1st cousin Marriage is fine in all of Europe, as it is in Canada and Mexico. It is also fine in 26 of the USA states. And the restrictions in the other states predate modern genetics. And most important of all - it is fine in Japan!

In the game Elis and Hiroki get married, which takes place in France, which is perfectly fine because none of the European countries have anything against it.
End of fricking argument.
And I'm still gonna maintain "blood relation." >_<

Quote:
That was exactly moving on. He finally started to paint again -> moved on from settling with a teacher job, back to what he really wanted to do. And he moved on with his relationship as well. He might have loved Kiri back then, but that was not the case anymore.

Did he really have any feelings for Kiri? Or was it just a ghost of the past? Well, he got over those past memories and straighted things out. He didn't seem like he was actually pursuing the relationship with Kiri, was he ? He was settling for it, just like he thought he would settle for the teacher job. In the end he chose to move on and chase the dream that he wanted to, not settle for whats in front of him. And it was because of Elis he chose to take a step forward, not because of Kiri.
Not sure he was settling for it. To me, it was that he was getting over what he'd thought before, that he wasn't good enough for her. "Maybe I do have a shot. If she still loves me, dang, maybe I am worth something."

Quote:
This is almost the same as your first point - sucks to be him, but what can you do? She doesn't have feelings for him. Sorry, but that is not her fault, nor is she supposed to have any just because a guy was nice to her. There are a lot of nice guys out there. Not every girls has the "he did something nice to me 7 years ago so i devote my body and soul to him" attitude we see in animes so often
7 years ago? It was constant for a few months. And I said she doesn't have to immediately be head-over-heels for him. Just give him a little love (I mean that in the rhetorical sense).
Quote:
I agree it was a huuuge shocker - i think my heart flipped But i have to commend them on a well done shocker
That's what you do in drama and action movies. Not in a romance anime that is fairly happy until then. >_> No need for it.
Quote:
It was a fabulous series from beginning till the end, and it is definitely one of the best "harem"(and i use the term very loosely, more as a reference to the anime's origins) animes ever made.
The first 23.5 episodes makes me rank this.... In the lower half of the top 10 of romance animes I've seen. The final .5 episodes makes me not even rank it. Just not the way I would've ended that at all.

Quote:
And i am very happy with the ending, because for once we have a nice, conclusive one. (And the last scene is one of the sweetest things ever >.<)
Conclusive.... Yeah, I guess so. Not the correct conclusion, IMO, in this case, but it is more conclusive than most.
Quote:

I <3 Tomoko. ^_^

Hoo-ah!
__________________
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future. –General George S. Patton, Jr.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bishoujo, drama, eroge, f&c, kadokawa, romance, school life, seinen, slice of life, zexcs

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.