AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Does Naruto (the series) have too many flashbacks?
Yes, definitely, and it hurts the series. 22 30.99%
It certainly does, but I don't mind. 29 40.85%
I think we need to be reminded what everything's about every now and then. 16 22.54%
I think there are too few flashbacks - more are clearly called for. 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-12-12, 20:29   Link #1
W2k
AnimeOne

So .. long .. and .. drawn .. out .. can't stand it!

For a while there I thought Naruto was picking up the pace, but no. Can you believe episodes 60-62 (the Naruto-Neji fight for those who have been living underneath rocks)? Truly 20 seconds of action jam-packed into three 20-minute episodes, as someone observed on IRC. In episode 62 it felt like we were truly getting 20 seconds of flashbacks for every 5 seconds of fighting!

Because of this, despite enjoying parts of the series, I obviously will not be buying it on DVD - and yes, I usually do buy the series I like. No way am I paying the usual price for DVD's of at most four episodes each when 20%+ (and that's counting low) of the material is just recycled from older episodes!

Anyway, I wanted to hear people's thoughts on this - I hear the manga's not this drawn-out at all, though having not read it, I could be wrong. Are the anime makers simply being true to the manga when making repetitive flashbacks for every little thing that can take one (and some things that can't)? Are they grabbing for money in stretching the series out (clearly, four episodes make more money than one)? Or are they catering to the type of audience who has only 30 seconds worth of memory, and thus need things explained to them, over and over again?
W2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 20:34   Link #2
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2k
Or are they catering to the type of audience who has only 30 seconds worth of memory, and thus need things explained to them, over and over again?
Stop talking about me!!! That's is the truth though. Guess it is made for those in Tokyo who just tune in from time to time and don't adore it like us! Plus some of it is creative freedom. that us die hards rarely appreciate. For the record I love flashbacks with info in them! *input input need more input*
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 20:38   Link #3
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
All the flashbacks were the same as the manga.

They had to go and explain Neji's story sometime. There are lots of other shows out there that provide pointless nonstop action if that's what you're looking for.

It doesn't seem quite as drawn out when you watch everything all together as opposed to waiting each week.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 20:47   Link #4
wnkryo
HainShodan

Yes, the flashbacks are friggin gay and geting even more repetative. Also i hate when they draw out fights longer then they should be with useless friggin talking, i mean save that for after the fight or before it. I dont care what the fruk any one else thinks, but i think Naruto should stop leading towards DBZ like show displayment becuase it has so many more episodes left for the series. And by the time their done it will be like 3 years from now, or more.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 20:51   Link #5
smee
Silent A$$A$$IN

Send a message via AIM to smee
i do agree there are far too many flashbacks but thats gonna be the case with almost any anime thats this popular, it is simply done to make more money, they dont do a whole fight in one episode because they want you to watch the next episode that comes out to see what happens. simple as that.
smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 20:59   Link #6
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee
i do agree there are far too many flashbacks but thats gonna be the case with almost any anime thats this popular, it is simply done to make more money, they dont do a whole fight in one episode because they want you to watch the next episode that comes out to see what happens. simple as that.

I agree to disagree. The series is gonna be very long if they are going to follow the manga (which it seems they are). So dragging the series like this will make it very very gay. And it will make naruto another pokemon or dbz. I also agree that flashbacks and fillers maby nessacary some times, but its happing almost every friggin episode now, and that is really friggin pissin me off. I really wouldnt care how many fillers they put in the episodes if naruto aired more than once a week, but the fact is it only airs... once a week -_-"
Old 2003-12-12, 21:02   Link #7
smee
Silent A$$A$$IN

geez, someone always has to disagree with me, the fact is they wanna juice naruto for all its worth for as long as they can, even if thats not until the end of the series.
Old 2003-12-12, 21:08   Link #8
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee
geez, someone always has to disagree with me, the fact is they wanna juice naruto for all its worth for as long as they can, even if thats not until the end of the series.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

That is why Naruto is a cooler version of pokemon T.T
Old 2003-12-12, 21:09   Link #9
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Geez people. It's not like they're putting in fillers because they want to. It's so that they buy some time so they can animate the fight sequences properly. Do you guys have any idea how hard it is to co-ordinate a fight sequence with Naruto in it? All those kage bunshin have to be animated one at a time. Drawn over and over and over again. And that takes time. But if you want, we can have some eps. 45 quality fights and no fillers. Personally, I'll take the fillers instead.

And I don't mind flashbacks. Even ones from previous eps. and such. I just like Naruto too much. There's nothing I really hate (yes even Sakura).

EDIT: and if you don't like fillers then read the manga. Complaining here isn't going to fix anything you know...
Old 2003-12-12, 21:25   Link #10
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by [A-Flux]Kiva128
Geez people. It's not like they're putting in fillers because they want to. It's so that they buy some time so they can animate the fight sequences properly. Do you guys have any idea how hard it is to co-ordinate a fight sequence with Naruto in it? All those kage bunshin have to be animated one at a time. Drawn over and over and over again. And that takes time. But if you want, we can have some eps. 45 quality fights and no fillers. Personally, I'll take the fillers instead.

And I don't mind flashbacks. Even ones from previous eps. and such. I just like Naruto too much. There's nothing I really hate (yes even Sakura).

EDIT: and if you don't like fillers then read the manga. Complaining here isn't going to fix anything you know...

I dont usually flame people... and maby i shouldnt start now . But i never said my complaining would change anything, and no matter how much i like naruto i still say "Fu** You" to all the fillers and flashbacks. I cant possible take another sakura/ino episode nor do i want to. But the point im trying to make is that i would rather have a fighting episode then a filler or flashback one, and also, naruto is the next dbz
Old 2003-12-12, 21:30   Link #11
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

There was some episodes which have too many flashback, that's right but :

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2k
In episode 62 it felt like we were truly getting 20 seconds of flashbacks for every 5 seconds of fighting!
Seriously are you kidding? In the episode 62 there is maybe 2 flashbacks of 3~5 seconde max.

Quote:
Can you believe episodes 60-62 (the Naruto-Neji fight for those who have been living underneath rocks)? Truly 20 seconds of action jam-packed into three 20-minute episodes, as someone observed on IRC.
So you call the past of Neji a flashbach and that annoys you?
Well sorry but it's the storyline, if the only thing that you like in Naruto is the fights, you can stop watching the show and go to play the game.

The episode 60~62 have almost no filler and less than 5 real flashbacks I think, the anime follow exactly the storyline of the manga.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 21:36   Link #12
Kamui4356
Aria Company

How do the flashbacks make naruto like dbz? If Naruto was like dbz, it would have taken 4 or five episodes for naruto just to bring out the kyubi chakara. Each fight would also last 6 episodes at the very least. While not all the flashbacks are needed, a lot are. Remember Naruto has been airing for 62 weeks with no repeats. The flashbacks to eariler episodes are to make sure everyone knows key points, even if they missed an episode. Then there are the ''new'' flashbacks which tell character's back stories. Those are needed or there'd be no real plot. Then Naruto really would be like dbz. The real problems aren't the flashbacks, but the pointless filler, like that thing with the bulls
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 21:46   Link #13
Necrodeath

I'm going to have to side by [A-Flux]Kiva128 with this one. Sure I'd like to see action sometime, but if it were just action, how long do you think this serie would go on? How long until ppl die of boredom. I like the stories, the one about Neji for instance, or the one about Lee. IMHO, they're not just filler, they add something to the series.
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 21:49   Link #14
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrodeath
I'm going to have to side by [A-Flux]Kiva128 with this one. Sure I'd like to see action sometime, but if it were just action, how long do you think this serie would go on? How long until ppl die of boredom. I like the stories, the one about Neji for instance, or the one about Lee. IMHO, they're not just filler, they add something to the series.

I dont mind alittle filler here and their just for reference of old things, but constant flashbacks are anoying me, i mean they dont have to be in every single episode. BTW, i was just trying to say that naruto has a long way to go, and if it would air more than once a week then thier would be just reason to put fillers.
Old 2003-12-12, 22:03   Link #15
smee
Silent A$$A$$IN

for naruto to be like dbz the sakura/ino fight would have taken at least 15 episodes, remember how long the goku vs. freeza fight took? it was like 15 episodes.
Old 2003-12-12, 22:08   Link #16
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Well, it seems we have run out of things to say. That is an usual side effect after a successful conclusion to each episode. That is the trend so far, each week. [A-Flux]Kiva128 knows what he is talking about. Check out his self-drawn manga on Hinata, Kiva, and Shino. Very cool.

The animators themselves know what they have to go through each week to bring us a new episode. All those fights worth of few second has to give them a plenty of drawings which must fit the storyline. Face it, its beyond our imagination what they must go through to bring us this series, unless one is an expert. We can complain and what not, but its not going to make any difference to those who do the actual work (animators). Flashback..annoying? yes.. so what can we do but to appreciate and drop jaws now and then when adrenaline is pushed to the limit..
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 22:16   Link #17
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
Well, it seems we have run out of things to say. That is an usual side effect after a successful conclusion to each episode. That is the trend so far, each week. [A-Flux]Kiva128 knows what he is talking about. Check out his self-drawn manga on Hinata, Kiva, and Shino. Very cool.

The animators themselves know what they have to go through each week to bring us a new episode. All those fights worth of few second has to give them a plenty of drawings which must fit the storyline. Face it, its beyond our imagination what they must go through to bring us this series, unless one is an expert. We can complain and what not, but its not going to make any difference to those who do the actual work (animators). Flashback..annoying? yes.. so what can we do but to appreciate and drop jaws now and then when adrenaline is pushed to the limit..

Errr, you kinda explained the painfull process of making any anime that has characteristics like naruto, or any cartoon in general. Their are cartoons that are rich in detail and come out more then once a week. So its not like naruto is a special case or any thing, and the development time usual depends on the time the producer gives for the animators to make the episodes.
Old 2003-12-12, 22:31   Link #18
ChouOishii

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
I dont mind alittle filler here and their just for reference of old things, but constant flashbacks are anoying me, i mean they dont have to be in every single episode. BTW, i was just trying to say that naruto has a long way to go, and if it would air more than once a week then thier would be just reason to put fillers.
no, you do want the flashbacks in there if they were in the manga.. see kenshin for an example of what happens when an animation studio stops following the manga and starts writing its own stories x_x it is a Good Thing that they're still putting everything in

also, kenshin was longer than naruto is now (96 episodes), but when they released it on dvd, they gave us 4-6 episodes per disc. so really, you shouldn't rule out buying naruto dvds when they come out, just see who gets the rights and what kind of deal they give. if it's like kenshin, then buy it, or at least buy your favorite story arcs. on the other hand, if it's like inuyasha (3 eps per disc for a 100+ episode series?? idiots ><), then hell, keep distributing the fansubs
ChouOishii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 22:33   Link #19
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Errr, you kinda explained the painfull process of making any anime that has characteristics like naruto, or any cartoon in general. Their are cartoons that are rich in detail and come out more then once a week.
not any animation.. there could be animation that releases twice a week (no example comes to mind)..but guess what? those series have to be short in episode count and were completed long ahead of time..or they simply have simple story line without or few highlights..Naruto indeed is special in those case.. There are many other aspects that plays in making animation.. I wont be able to explain it well.. But here are few things that comes to mind..

drawings (how complicated are they?)-->animating-->scripting-->voice acting-->editing..etc..these are just few things I can think of.. And the amazing thing is the animators are making the series to its progression (we should all know that)..
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 22:43   Link #20
luckme10
Just call me G

Location: California, bay area or is it San Diego... not sure
Send a message via AIM to luckme10
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2k
For a while there I thought Naruto was picking up the pace, but no. Can you believe episodes 60-62 (the Naruto-Neji fight for those who have been living underneath rocks)? Truly 20 seconds of action jam-packed into three 20-minute episodes, as someone observed on IRC. In episode 62 it felt like we were truly getting 20 seconds of flashbacks for every 5 seconds of fighting!

Because of this, despite enjoying parts of the series, I obviously will not be buying it on DVD - and yes, I usually do buy the series I like. No way am I paying the usual price for DVD's of at most four episodes each when 20%+ (and that's counting low) of the material is just recycled from older episodes!

Anyway, I wanted to hear people's thoughts on this - I hear the manga's not this drawn-out at all, though having not read it, I could be wrong. Are the anime makers simply being true to the manga when making repetitive flashbacks for every little thing that can take one (and some things that can't)? Are they grabbing for money in stretching the series out (clearly, four episodes make more money than one)? Or are they catering to the type of audience who has only 30 seconds worth of memory, and thus need things explained to them, over and over again?
FLASHBACK FLASH BACK FLASHBACK BRING ON THE FLASHBACKS!
luckme10 is offline   Reply With Quote