AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-30, 19:48   Link #1
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Why can't Manga be in full color?

This is something that's been on my mind for a while, it's just I never thought of asking until now. In my opinion I see nothing wrong with black and white Manga but I still think it would be nice to have full color Manga once in a while or at least have certain chapters in Manga be in full color.(Especially considering on how well Manga can look in color.) So can anyone enlighten me on this?
Old 2006-01-30, 20:12   Link #2
Perrin-chan

One of my good friends is a comic book fangirl, who has a brother who works for DC comics.

The problem with color comics is that they take too long to create and are too expensive. Some comic titles can take years between issues. It's really labor intensive work from what her brother told me.

If you look at an American comic chapters versus a manga chapters, manga chapters are huge. A Jump title like death note has 200+pages a volume versus a graphic novel which will have around 150+pages a volume.

Also, I don't think that color would work in the manga world where most stories come out on a weekly basis and tend to have more pages per chapter. Creating a full color issue every week might kill a manga artist. From what I've read in manga, they seem to all ready be super stressed out just making comics in black and white.
Old 2006-01-30, 20:28   Link #3
jedinat

There are quite a few manga that will have special colored chapters every once in a while. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is the first one that comes to mind.
Old 2006-01-30, 20:54   Link #4
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Well manga is normally a weekly thing where as western style comics are monthly in most cases however the story suffers for all the great coloring but manga on the other hand truly shows talent in drawing and the story rarely falters. And coloring manga would really kill the mangaka lol. My 2 cents.........
Old 2006-01-30, 21:22   Link #5
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
Well manga is normally a weekly thing where as western style comics are monthly in most cases however the story suffers for all the great coloring but manga on the other hand truly shows talent in drawing and the story rarely falters. And coloring manga would really kill the mangaka lol. My 2 cents.........
Colored Manga uses a 4 color system. That's 4 times they have to print on it.

So Tankubon(Did I spell that write) costs about $6 per book. Make it 4 color and that's $24 per book. Add the fact that someone has to pick the colors in the first place and now that's $30 per book. Phew!

I think that's why $6 will sell a lot of books $30/book won't sell much.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2006-02-02, 14:48   Link #6
mone-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
Colored Manga uses a 4 color system. That's 4 times they have to print on it.

So Tankubon(Did I spell that write) costs about $6 per book. Make it 4 color and that's $24 per book. Add the fact that someone has to pick the colors in the first place and now that's $30 per book. Phew!

I think that's why $6 will sell a lot of books $30/book won't sell much.
let's take a look at it this way (made me dig into my pile of manga ) Colorful a full color manga cost 1000 yen and had 109 pages in it Imouto akane from the same year cost 505 yen and had 219 pages. Okusama wa joshikousei Volume 1 is half color cost 1000 yen and is 120 pages long the rest of the series sells for 900 yen is 180 pages and only has 5 color pages. Just to give you some examples of the two.
Old 2006-02-03, 23:50   Link #7
ZhangKhaiEn
張凱恩

It would also take around double the time to make ^_^;;
Old 2006-02-04, 00:30   Link #8
Kazeminarocloud

Send a message via MSN to Kazeminarocloud Send a message via Yahoo to Kazeminarocloud
well i think that it may take up too much ink but it may still be a good idea
Old 2006-02-04, 01:55   Link #9
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

if it was full color it would be called a magazine or a graphic novel LOL.
Old 2006-02-04, 04:11   Link #10
Dante_Grim
Juice Crew Affiliate

I prefer the Black and White through most of the volume. I like how Sgt. Frog does their volumes though. The first chapter, or first few pages, is in full color and the rest in Black and White.
Old 2006-02-04, 06:09   Link #11
pinomustfly

I think colored manga kind of ruins some of the fun with manga. If the drawings are really good, colors just destroy the whole thing. And of course, I like to magine the colors on people's hair, clothes and so on. Minor characters in for example One Piece (that never are shown on the front like main characters) are kind of dissappointing when watch them in color in anime .
Old 2006-02-14, 20:30   Link #12
EricMontreal22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
There are quite a few manga that will have special colored chapters every once in a while. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is the first one that comes to mind.
Ya I wish more tankoubon collections would collect the colour parts--usually they look pretty bad as they've been switched to B&W. (there are exceptions like many CLAMP titles like Wish and Tokyo Babylon, I have a deluxe co9llector's set of Moto Hagio's classic Poe Family in harcover that has all the colour too)

That said often the colour looks pretty arbitrary--just sorta water coloured in loosely. For some reason it hink B&W comics are more aesthetically pleasing--usually--to me, also easier to read quickly. I think this is disucssed in some books about how ocmics work on our brains like Understanding Comics but there is something that we perceive quite differently
Old 2006-02-14, 20:41   Link #13
EricMontreal22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
if it was full color it would be called a magazine or a graphic novel LOL.
Ummm no... Lots of very good American graphic novels (think How Loathsome, Maus, etc etc) are black and white...

E
Old 2006-02-14, 21:30   Link #14
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Let me say again. If you are willing to pay for a Full Color Magazine, they will print it. Most people aren't. So they don't.

There is no technical reason. B&W is cheaper. And you need more people working with the Mangaka to perform the colorization. That takes money.

Old 2006-02-15, 00:22   Link #15
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Read U.S comic art so much better then manga?, and the industry-side reasoning that I wrote on post #6

However, keep in mind that several pages of highly popular manga are actually colored in at the time of serialization as a "kantou color." That meaning, the manga serialization is highly popular that it was selected to have the honor of being printed in color in the first several pages of that magazine. Ever notice how some pages of "Dragon Ball" looks a little different from the usual screentone usage? That's because at the time of serialization on Shonen Jump, that chapter (or several pages of that chapter) was actually in color. Unfortunately, all those are lost when published into tankoubon form.
Old 2006-02-15, 01:21   Link #16
Fel
Clean up princess

Quite simply:
It would take longer to finish each chapter.
It would cost more to the consumer.
It would be more difficult to print.
It's nice, but not necessary.
Old 2006-02-15, 12:32   Link #17
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Read U.S comic art so much better then manga?, and the industry-side reasoning that I wrote on post #6

However, keep in mind that several pages of highly popular manga are actually colored in at the time of serialization as a "kantou color." That meaning, the manga serialization is highly popular that it was selected to have the honor of being printed in color in the first several pages of that magazine. Ever notice how some pages of "Dragon Ball" looks a little different from the usual screentone usage? That's because at the time of serialization on Shonen Jump, that chapter (or several pages of that chapter) was actually in color. Unfortunately, all those are lost when published into tankoubon form.
Not Lost KJ1980, Just become a 'rare' collectors item. That happens here all the time.

Just like if you get a Ai Ga Torama (spelling?) Phone card if you buy the limited edition CDs, you can get colorized pages if you buy the original release.

Old 2006-02-15, 14:35   Link #18
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
Not Lost KJ1980, Just become a 'rare' collectors item. That happens here all the time.
Note the term "tankoubon" form that I used.
Old 2006-02-15, 16:09   Link #19
ellie_i
Waitress at Café Alpha

What everyone else has pointed out - it's just too damn expensive and laborious a job.

When people do make coloured manga (like certain chapters in Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou) then it can be stunning. If you're interested in finding a hand-inked, full-colour manga, then have a look around for Stigma by Minekura Kazuya - it's fantastic both art- and plot-wise.

Sometimes tankoubon do have coloured pages, and we just don't know it. Del Rey, for example, only include coloured pages with the first edition of any of their publications, and after that just print it in kind of clumsy black and white. Grr.
Old 2006-02-21, 07:05   Link #20
BriteDarkness
The Me-est Person

Send a message via AIM to BriteDarkness Send a message via MSN to BriteDarkness Send a message via Yahoo to BriteDarkness
Yup... Time is money. Money is money. They don't do it because it's like money^2
Closed Thread