AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2011-03-19, 09:27   Link #1161
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've waited a very long time, and finally the film is available to buy here in the UK. Picked up a copy this morning, and preparing myself for a rewatch tomorrow.
Old 2011-03-28, 16:08   Link #1162
taichi-kun

Did the novel explain why they stopped sending latters and communicating with each other ???
taichi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 17:15   Link #1163
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I'm afraid I don't know. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet. But this may help: http://5cm.lhyeung.net/index.php
Old 2011-04-08, 00:23   Link #1164
User68604
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstellar View Post
since this is a film that makes people come back to it again and again most likely for decades to come.. this is what i did just now

it just occurred to me that this film is more concerned with a person's own inner self as in the memories buried within, rather than talking about childhood deep relationships which is generic by comparison. this is evidenced by the protagonist not chasing after his suspected childhood friend in the end which was entirely possible on foot with a woman's ~20 second walking distance.

the film goes much deeper and describes what many people do to a varying degree--immortalize a person you can no longer meet, to a point where it is beyond the actual person in many regards that one may even choose memories over the person in reality when given the choice (as his decision to not chase in the end). this message would become mischaracterized if one were to treat this film as only a film about deep lovers.. the real message of the film is one which is much deeper than its mischaracterized counterpart.
excellent post

i thought it was an amazing 3 part series as well. im, unfortunately, a sucker for happy endings in any sort of romance genre anime - but i gladly give this a 10/10 for high production value, high everything..
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 08:46   Link #1165
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Spoiler for just watching it....:

Last edited by ~Yami~; 2011-04-24 at 08:55. Reason: add some comment
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 09:09   Link #1166
Mr.Garfield

it sucks that he (the one translated the novel) said that episode 3 probably won't be available(it did have the summary though)...
Mr.Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 06:08   Link #1167
Kyuu
=^^=

I've yet to watch - but - I'm saving this series for a rainy day.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 12:02   Link #1168
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Better hope it rains soon - you're depriving yourself of something incredible and special!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 09:58   Link #1169
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I've waited a very long time, and finally the film is available to buy here in the UK.
And it only took five years...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 15:23   Link #1170
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This is one of those threads I suspect will never die, as people will always be discovering and rediscovering this masterpiece. I just got my DVD from Crunchyroll - the one they promised on the night they butchered the screening of the movie (I posted about that here last year). Anyways, it's an excuse to watch it again as we get ready for Shinkai-dono's next work...

Every so often I just have to immerse myself in 5 CM. Perhaps of all anime and even all films, it's the first segment ("Sakura") that resonates with me as an expression of perfection. Perfection in art, in feeling, and in beauty. Tenmon's score, Shinkai's ungodly gorgeous animation, and the pure, flawless beauty of the story. If I never see it surpassed I can happily say I'll be perfectly satisfied - I could never ask for a more profound experience in the viewing of a film. Takaki and Akari are with me, as real as anyone I've known, and always will be. I can see every station, every view, every flake of snow on Takaki's journey from Gotokuji to Iwafune as clearly as if I'd taken that journey myself. This is a perfect union of director, musician, and seiyuu - if you haven't watched this film please, do so at once.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 17:24   Link #1171
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i don't even need to rewatch it. i've seen it enough times i can play scenes in my head at will... i still remember the feeling i got when the first trailer of it came out. i was completely awestruck at the animation looking out from a moving train. then to see them running down the hallway. all perfectly synched with tenmon's piano piece. amazing. perfect.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 09:29   Link #1172
Holyrise
Haruhiism Zealot

Well, I watched this a year back and it still gets me every time I rewatch it. The way Shinkai Makoto made the movie that it can make you feel what the characters are feeling, that's the best part, it's a movie you enjoy by being part of it, instead of just watching it. The movie is further epic-fied by the song at the end, 'One more time, one more chance' xD
Holyrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 01:55   Link #1173
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I just watched this today. Good stuff, I hadn't seen something that made me cry this much in ages.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 04:56   Link #1174
Paperplane
Guy on the Couch

This is personally my favourite anime of all time so far, simply because of the awesome, top border line artistic animation of reality along with the message the movie brings across and how much I can really relate to it. The way the film presents its vision of a cruel reality and how we must move on from the cherished moments of our past that we cannot live out forever or again under harsh circumstances.

Also, the way the main relationship developed between Takaki and Akari under such dire circumstances of reality really hits home to me. Not to mention the way, both central characters developed felt very real and immersing in personality, action and thoughts overtime under all circumstances that towards the end it was pretty sad as a result. Also felt sorry for Kanae too as I would have liked to know more about her and it's pretty bittersweet on her end in regards to her conclusion of the story.

In regards to flaws, I can probably see why some may not like this movie. Slow pacing and the story being a bit too simple in characterization and development are certainly some flaws I can consider and as a result, some parts of the movie do feel a bit dull, empty and boring in progress. Otherwise, I personally don't have a problem with the simple direction thanks to the way the story and characters are presented throughout progression of events and dialogue, along with the great animation and meaningful message of cruel reality in it's own right.

Overall, the movie truly is bittersweet, immersive and meaningful as an end result and for that I truely love this movie the way it is in scope. A true masterpiece and "art" this one is and my personal favourite from Shinkai Makoto. Truely excellent at what it does. *Sorry for overrating it a bit*
Paperplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 12:33   Link #1175
taichi-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I'm afraid I don't know. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet. But this may help: http://5cm.lhyeung.net/index.php
Yeah thanks! But I read the blog and there isn't chapter 3 of the novel T.T

The summaries tell us tohno's life but not akari's problems at school...

and I still don't know why they stopped sending latters......

I hope we have a happy end in the manga........
taichi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 21:08   Link #1176
Paperplane
Guy on the Couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi-kun
The summaries tell us tohno's life but not akari's problems at school...

and I still don't know why they stopped sending latters......

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi-kun
I hope we have a happy end in the manga........
Spoiler:

Last edited by Paperplane; 2011-05-16 at 21:20.
Old 2011-05-18, 23:06   Link #1177
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

they're making a manga? they better not change anything, other than flesh out some more details.

also, i disagree about your analysis on cosmonaut, paperplane.
Spoiler:

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-05-19, 06:18   Link #1178
Paperplane
Guy on the Couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
they're making a manga? they better not change anything, other than flesh out some more details.

also, i disagree about your analysis on cosmonaut, paperplane.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-05-19, 22:32   Link #1179
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Spoiler:

Old 2011-05-27, 16:31   Link #1180
Simon_Lord

Send a message via MSN to Simon_Lord
i just watched the first 20minutes of this. WOW is all i have to say. im looking intensively for a blu-ray version that has English Subs on it so i can buy it, if anyone knows where i can find one, send me the link no matter the price i will buy it! i just dont want to watch the remaining 40 minutes of this on a crappy internet video!

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai