Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-05, 21:09   Link #461
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
I can remember the days when i looked upon One Piece dismissing its cartooniness with disdain.

I was so young...

And to whoever said Naruto and Bleach are near perfect dubbed, you can't be more wrong.

Go watch FLCL, FMA, and Cowboy Bebop in English and then come back.
Thank you! Thank you! Someone who gets my point!
Old 2008-06-06, 00:15   Link #462
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
And to whoever said Naruto and Bleach are near perfect dubbed, you can't be more wrong.

Go watch FLCL, FMA, and Cowboy Bebop in English and then come back.
I've already seen FMA in english, and I don't care about the other two. And that doesn't change the fact that fans of Naruto and Bleach hardly have anything to complain about. (Well, except the DVD-release of Bleach, with the hardsubbed video and two-month release-schedule making it take forever for the series to get anywhere.) Okay, so maybe "near-perfect" was an exaggeration, but they are by no means badly dubbed.
Old 2008-06-06, 00:49   Link #463
Silver Soul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Panda View Post
Not that I'm complaining, anyway. Naruto is WAAAAY tooo popular for it's own good. Bleach isn't as bad, but yeah, i'ts still slightly over-hyped. One Piece on the other hand, is just right and has a respectable audience. Oh, plus it's currently the number one Manga series in the world. For the win, for the win...
Define respectable, One Piece fans may not be as bad as narutards who go to school with Naruto headbands but they can be just as obnoxious when the subject of wha is the best shonen series of all time comes to mind and number one in the world!? More like which shonen series is the most overrayed! How about number one in Japan, true it has the highest selling manga volume of all time.................in Japan, but compare to other countries popularity tends to wane infact other shonen series like Saint Seiya are more popular than Naruto and Bleach in France, Spain, Brazil and Mexico. So while One Piece may be a colossal sucess in its country of orgin other countries hasn't jumped on board
Old 2008-06-07, 17:46   Link #464
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
1) spouting off 'baka' as you are just makes YOU look silly.
2) do you have the numbers to back up your claim?

need sleep...my head hurts and can't find up-to-date numbers...but if this is any indication, I highly doubt that One Piece has sold 30+ million manga copies since 2006

http://comipress.com/article/2006/06/01/196
If OP didn't surpass DB yet, it will soon.

That's the number in 2006, I found numbers in July 2007 and it's shows OP at 135 million (page 19 in the theard), Some one else have a updated figure at 140 million. (p21?)

would't be surprised OP surpass DB in total sale within a year as each volume sales at 2.1-2.3 million rate.

Also OP volume 25, [might be 24] IS THE SINGLE BIGGEST SELLER IN JAPANESE HISTORY for tankōbon, beating out both final volumes of Slam Dunk and DB. [Stateded either in SBS or the databook and there was a media blitz in East Asain area like Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea on that feat by having special inserts in the volume as they are usually 2-3 months behind release].

And it is the FASTEST TO REACH 100 million total volumes sold.

But just to keep the comparison current, OP pretty much out sold Naruto and Bleach COMBINED in total volume, even when compareed to average sale per volume, OP is just a bit less than both Naruto and Bleach combined.

Someone earlier stated that we under-estimate OP's popularity in U.S. as OP sells relativily well in U.S. just not quite Naruto/Bleach-esqe.

Personally, I think based on how OP DOMINATES Japan and East Asia, anything less than top spot can be considered failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
Define respectable, One Piece fans may not be as bad as narutards who go to school with Naruto headbands but they can be just as obnoxious when the subject of wha is the best shonen series of all time comes to mind and number one in the world!? More like which shonen series is the most overrayed! How about number one in Japan, true it has the highest selling manga volume of all time.................in Japan, but compare to other countries popularity tends to wane infact other shonen series like Saint Seiya are more popular than Naruto and Bleach in France, Spain, Brazil and Mexico. So while One Piece may be a colossal sucess in its country of orgin other countries hasn't jumped on board
They are just stating the fact, unfortuntely the East Asain market is the majority market right now that the amont of the manga sold in the area is more than enough the off-set any lose sales in the rest of the world at least for OP.

Besides, Saint Seiya, the series you mentioned, was a VERY POPULAR series in East Asia as well, [I still have the old Virgo Shaka and Sagittarius Seiya version toy somewhere]. Keep in mind the series is actually from way back in the mid to late-80s' But it was one of the top mana series in Japan at time, it just got over shadowed by DB. And at same time, its anime version suffered due to excessive filler episodes which causes the low rating and led to the series' early termination. [over 1/3 of series were filler episodes]

As one of biggest OP fan boy, I'm not claiming it is the most popular alltime [at least not until it surpasses DB]. Yes, it is in my personal all time top 15, but I can think of a couple of series in the that list that are not on the All-time sales chart because they are shorter series, [I"s, Death Note, Monster, Touch,etc.]. Although I would say it is my #1 series of all time with at least 40 volumes and yes, that inculdes DB. [which has 42 volumes]

Last edited by Undertaker; 2008-06-09 at 18:03.
Old 2008-06-08, 16:33   Link #465
Tirade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
I've already seen FMA in english, and I don't care about the other two.
Wow...

Now I understand.
Old 2008-08-06, 19:15   Link #466
The_Three_Kings

Well I think the main reason most people dont watch One Piece is because of the "hook" points. You know, the part where you get hooked and totally obsessed by the series?

For One Piece, to tell the truth I was actually not to happy with the series until the mid-Arlong part. Around episode 36 I think. It just got better and better from there. I honestly think though that the Water 7 arc dragged on too much. But the good thing about One Piece, is the fillers! Unlike most fillers, they're actually good! Actually my favorite arc was the G8 arc! (next to the Enies Lobby arc, of course! Who doesnt love CP9?)

For Naruto I got hooked right away from episode 1. What i really hate about the series though, is Naruto....he's such a jerk...hes so loud and its like he has a non-existent brain. I only stuck around for Sasuke and Sakura. It was doing pretty well though until the fillers started coming. Then it just got stupid and Naruto got stupider. All he ever does now is Rasengan and Shadow-Clone Jutsus, and the only other move that was actually was pretty cool (the wind rasengan?) got banned! WTF!!??

For Bleach the hook was around the first 15 episodes? I dont know why people complain about the fillers, they actually arent that bad! Orihime kinda pisses me off though, everybody else got powered up...and she gets kidnapped...kinda sad really...! But lately its starting to pick up and Im excited to see the battle between the 6 lieutenants and captains against the Top 3 Arrancar...
Old 2008-08-06, 21:00   Link #467
The Imadori
Master of the sonic roll

THe "hooking problem" is most lekely the key. Naruto and bleach are "simpler" and therefore grip faster.
What's realy enerving about naruto (and partly also bleach) it just doesn't change. Naruto fights a guy. Can't beat him. Special Training then still nearly looses but with his enourmous will beats the enemy. Or for Sasuke. fights the enemy. Looks like the enemy is winning. Oh no it was Sharingan all an illusion enemy down sasuke wins. That's of course just a simplification and I loved the battle against the Immortals in the Manga (especially because Naruto and Sasuke wern't involved). well One Piece also sometimes has these tendencies.

I guess in the end it's just that Bleach and Naruto aer so predictable and One piece isn't. that makes One piece so much better in my opinion but also Naruto and Bleach are simpler to follow. So maybe that's it.
Old 2008-08-07, 21:11   Link #468
gohanhd
The Unbleached Beast

lol the only reason im not in to One Piece, is cuz how late I found out about it >< (hard to pick up anime thats so many ep/manga Ch. for me. To many ep and ch. for me right now lol ><)
Old 2008-08-07, 21:32   Link #469
The_Three_Kings

yeah i know sasuke pisses me off too. K, there is NO WAY he took out Orochimaru and Itachi. Absolutely no way.
Old 2008-08-09, 23:45   Link #470
Scion

Personally I feel that One Piece is the best out of these three

Naruto's story is better because it's a lot less predictable than One Piece in some parts

Bleach has an interesting concept and it's good, but there's some something missing

One Piece is good, but the fact that nobody dies is funny, but it doesn't make it dramatic cuz you know that no matter how bad they get messed up they'll be okay after a while
Old 2008-08-10, 00:08   Link #471
The_Three_Kings

well, somebody was supposed to die in the Skypeia arc, but time restraints kept Oda from this.
Old 2008-08-10, 04:47   Link #472
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Quote:
One Piece is good, but the fact that nobody dies is funny, but it doesn't make it dramatic cuz you know that no matter how bad they get messed up they'll be okay after a while
I'll admit, Oda does take issue with killing off his characters; something he obviously has in common with the creator of DBZ to a degree. But, rather than have his main players die multiple times and be revived by various means of deus ex machina, I guess he just decided to make this a bit easier and say, "people die hard."

Not dramatic? Eh, I personally never look for much else in fights than great visuals; emotion here is more a priveledge than a right as far as my world is concerned. Besides, One Piece as a aseries surely makes up for that overall lack of "fatal drama" with the emotion of the storyline itself.

I've had moments where I've been on the edge of my seat simply staring in awe at the magnitude of some events. Though the outcome may be obvious, it's the high of the moment that counts for us One Piece fans.

I think that's one thing Oda does best out of all three main stream shounen, he can catch you in the moment...
Old 2008-08-10, 07:09   Link #473
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNhite View Post
I've had moments where I've been on the edge of my seat simply staring in awe at the magnitude of some events. Though the outcome may be obvious, it's the high of the moment that counts for us One Piece fans.

I think that's one thing Oda does best out of all three main stream shounen, he can catch you in the moment...
Agreed. I mean, even though it was obviously going to happen, who here DIDN'T think Luffy sending Arlong/Crocodile/Enel/Lucci flying through a wall/roof/some other extremely hard object was F***ING AWESOME?
Old 2008-08-11, 08:29   Link #474
Amray

It could be something to do with the time in which it started being airred. Similar to the situation with the RPG game "Shadow Hearts" when that was released. It did not sell as well as it should because "Final Fantasy X" was released the week after. Therefore a decent game went out unnoticed. It picked up the sales though which was good.

I also doubt that it has anything to do with "4Kids" bringing it out, as they also brought out Pokemon and that proved one of the most famous anime ever to, not only Japan, but many other western countries.

I loved the first sessions of One Piece too so it most likely has nothing to do with having a slow start..as it did not have a slow start to the comedy and action.

I think it must have something do with either air time, or because more anime series' were released after it and proved a big hit to viewers, and therefore casting One Piece aside if even for a little while. But if I am wrong then don't blame me, I'm not a scientist..(wait)
Old 2008-08-24, 14:31   Link #475
kikyo4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyshopper View Post
one piece is less popular because it is less stupid
ei one piece lacks clichés I dont want to repeat things that all people Know
one piece is by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar beter than naruto and bleach THERE IS NOTHING TO BE COMPARED
I agreed.
OP is better because it focuses on all of the crew members
It's entertaining and fun to watch and to top it off; I never get bored when I watch OP
All of the character are full of laugthers and there's always something new about each crew to rem'ber them by...eg. the way each of them act and talk
I have watched OP from ep. 1- to the most recent episode and it's always entertaining
Naruto and Bleach may be good but there are many episodes where I get very bored and sleepy
Old 2008-08-25, 00:33   Link #476
itachi29al

Some people think themselves two cool or mature to embrace the quirkiness of the show/mang, i will admit i was like that at first but once u embrace it it is great.
Old 2008-08-25, 10:45   Link #477
noktown

Actually i myself got hooked on One Piece since the 1st Episode i dunno,i just wanted more and more of Luffy,while bleach i watched the 1st episode - didn't like it,then after like 8-9 months when i was bored i started watching bleach again and it was kind of ok but too draggy imo ;d

Naruto yeah,the 1st episode was good the exam was good,then the fillers sucked,naruto vs sasuke fighr rocked,thats all until shippuuden which isn't really impressive except for the 1st episode where they come back.

But never in my life i would say that there is even a small chance that Naruto/Bleach are better than One Piece.

Arguable can only be : Dragon Ball vs One Pice ;d

But Naruto/Bleach simply don't stand a chance ;d
Old 2008-08-26, 08:55   Link #478
The Imadori
Master of the sonic roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
Actually i myself got hooked on One Piece since the 1st Episode i dunno,i just wanted more and more of Luffy,while bleach i watched the 1st episode - didn't like it,then after like 8-9 months when i was bored i started watching bleach again and it was kind of ok but too draggy imo ;d

Naruto yeah,the 1st episode was good the exam was good,then the fillers sucked,naruto vs sasuke fighr rocked,thats all until shippuuden which isn't really impressive except for the 1st episode where they come back.

But never in my life i would say that there is even a small chance that Naruto/Bleach are better than One Piece.

Arguable can only be : Dragon Ball vs One Pice ;d

But Naruto/Bleach simply don't stand a chance ;d
Sorry but dragon Ball doesn't stand a chance either. dragonball is something like the godfather of all shonen Manga and therefore has earned an eternal place in the hall of fame but it was constantly getting worse over the time and just fokusing on content One Piece is the clear winner on my watch.
Old 2008-08-26, 13:34   Link #479
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imadori View Post
Sorry but dragon Ball doesn't stand a chance either. dragonball is something like the godfather of all shonen Manga and therefore has earned an eternal place in the hall of fame but it was constantly getting worse over the time and just fokusing on content One Piece is the clear winner on my watch.
Well worser depends on what,for example the regular DB and the Z i liked everything in there with no exception,GT on the other hand sucked,but GT is like a bunch of fillers so it really doesn't matter,the only involvement AT had in the series was character design,which they messed up too,cuz ssj4 i'm 100% should've had a golden hair on his body :d

But yeah Dragon ball is loosing in the fact that at some point you can start thinking,like who the hell can be stronger than that(ssj3) or wow what form could there possibly be after a ssj3 and when you think about it,only enemies that could regenerate would be a challenge to them imo,thats why GT didn't make sense to me,the characters looked too weak
Old 2008-08-26, 14:28   Link #480
The Imadori
Master of the sonic roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
Well worser depends on what,for example the regular DB and the Z i liked everything in there with no exception,GT on the other hand sucked,but GT is like a bunch of fillers so it really doesn't matter,the only involvement AT had in the series was character design,which they messed up too,cuz ssj4 i'm 100% should've had a golden hair on his body :d

But yeah Dragon ball is loosing in the fact that at some point you can start thinking,like who the hell can be stronger than that(ssj3) or wow what form could there possibly be after a ssj3 and when you think about it,only enemies that could regenerate would be a challenge to them imo,thats why GT didn't make sense to me,the characters looked too weak
For me DB was over after Freezer Saga. The freezer saga was realy gripping and made you wanna read/watch on. Cyborg Saga started cool but then crashed with cell evolving. Seriously regeneration ability is just boring. And boo was a joke the entire saga. Sorry.
But that's only my opinion.

One piece on the other side creates an entire world and tells a twistinga nd turning plot. You really get the feeling that there is something around the strawhats. Not only something taht matters but something BIG. The Strawhats are our heroes but they are clearly not the most important people, not even the most important pirates in the world. In DB everything circles around songoku and ONLY hin (and his son ok). Naruto and Bleach also have a world but its very small and centered around naruto/ichigo. And that's also what lets them stand no chance against one piece (beside the predictability).
Closed Thread