AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-06-03, 12:35   Link #8921
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
This first cousin once removed sounds so strange to foreign ears What do you remove? XD
One generation removed from me, two generations removed fro me...

Removed also means distance, kinda. You might also say "I'm looking for a house somewhat removed from downtown", similiar concept.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-03, 14:13   Link #8922
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
This first cousin once removed sounds so strange to foreign ears What do you remove? XD
As I said before, cousin comes from the first level of ancestor you share. Grandparents for first cousin, great-grandparents for second cousin, so on and so forth.

For "removed", you then go the other way. For each generation after your current generation, it's considered to be one level "removed". For example, your first cousin once removed is your cousin's child. You're still technically cousins with the kid, since your first ancestor are your grandparents. The "once removed" just goes the other direction.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-03, 17:30   Link #8923
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
As I said before, cousin comes from the first level of ancestor you share. Grandparents for first cousin, great-grandparents for second cousin, so on and so forth.

For "removed", you then go the other way. For each generation after your current generation, it's considered to be one level "removed". For example, your first cousin once removed is your cousin's child. You're still technically cousins with the kid, since your first ancestor are your grandparents. The "once removed" just goes the other direction.
One removed applies in both directions. My mother's first cousin is my second cousin once removed. My cousin's son is my first cousin once removed.

The rule is: Xth cousin-> last common ancestor. Grandparent is first, great grand parent is second etc.

X removed-> generational difference. For ever generational difference, add another degree. Parent's/children's generation is once removed, Grandparents/grandchildren's generation -> twice removed.

Note that you can be about the same age as your cousin once removed, if two prior siblings had children at very different ages. If my grandmother only had children at 40, and my mother again at 40, but my grandmother's sister had children at 20, her daughter at 20 and her daughter again at 20, then I would have a 2nd cousin once removed, who is about the same age as myself, but we would be seperate generations.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-03, 20:43   Link #8924
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
That's cheating D=
Some people have different definitions of 'cheating'. Sad but true.
Old 2011-06-03, 23:57   Link #8925
Calca
Expressionless

Cute coworker split up with her boyfriend

About a month ago. So, what should the plan be? Her ex and her had been together for about 5 years which is an incredibly long time. Shall I give her some time and let her enjoy single life since she has not experienced it in a long time? Or should I try and make my move.

If I were to try to make a move, it may lead to awkwardness, but she is just a part time worker and only works a few hours every few days while I am a full time worker.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-03, 23:59   Link #8926
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I'd post this in the Dating thread.

As for your question, give her some time; she's probably not in the mood to think about that kind of stuff right now. It's not good to take advantage in this situation.
Old 2011-06-04, 00:11   Link #8927
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Speaking from experience, never date someone you work with.
Old 2011-06-04, 00:15   Link #8928
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I believe the saying is "don't mix business with pleasure". It's never a good idea.
Old 2011-06-04, 02:03   Link #8929
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
So to try to get this topic on some notion of relevance:

How long after a break up (assuming you're the one who initiated it), is it okay to enter a new relationship?
When you see someone that you want to pash and flock her gently.
Old 2011-06-04, 02:34   Link #8930
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Every situation is different. Especially since every kind of job is different. Not to mention the people you associate with. I don't think you can just make a generalization like that.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 10:41   Link #8931
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Every situation is different. Especially since every kind of job is different. Not to mention the people you associate with. I don't think you can just make a generalization like that.
It's not a generalization, it's a rule. You're quite right, there's an exception to every rule. My original comment was intended as a warning. If he can manage to go out with her and keep their relationship out of the workplace, hey great! However odds are that isn't going to happen. If they get together things will get akward in the work place, especially if somewhere down the line they break up and are still working together.

It might happen, it might not happen. Who knows? However, I'm going to stick with my original advice and say don't do it until one or the other works someplace else.
Old 2011-06-04, 12:10   Link #8932
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor View Post
About a month ago. So, what should the plan be? Her ex and her had been together for about 5 years which is an incredibly long time. Shall I give her some time and let her enjoy single life since she has not experienced it in a long time? Or should I try and make my move.

If I were to try to make a move, it may lead to awkwardness, but she is just a part time worker and only works a few hours every few days while I am a full time worker.
I'm going to say give her some time. Five years is a long time for a relationship to last, and she needs time to recover and enjoy the single life a bit.
Old 2011-06-04, 20:56   Link #8933
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
It's not a generalization, it's a rule. You're quite right, there's an exception to every rule. My original comment was intended as a warning. If he can manage to go out with her and keep their relationship out of the workplace, hey great! However odds are that isn't going to happen. If they get together things will get akward in the work place, especially if somewhere down the line they break up and are still working together.

It might happen, it might not happen. Who knows? However, I'm going to stick with my original advice and say don't do it until one or the other works someplace else.
Sorry I can't go by that philosophy. If it can potentially cost you your job for whatever reason, maybe. If not, who cares. Sure people break up and things can happen down the line, but I wouldn't let work get in the way of a chance to be happy with someone. Essentially I wouldn't be scared to make a move "just because". That would be like choosing not to go outside because you could get hit by a car.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 23:32   Link #8934
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
That would be like choosing not to go outside because you could get hit by a car.
finally someone understand, those damn drivers driving too fast
Old 2011-06-05, 10:12   Link #8935
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor View Post

Befriend her first or if the both of you are already friends just spend time with her. Do some gentlemanly stuff but don't make it too excessive. Don't rush as she may still harbor feelings for her ex.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 10:40   Link #8936
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Sorry I can't go by that philosophy. If it can potentially cost you your job for whatever reason, maybe. If not, who cares. Sure people break up and things can happen down the line, but I wouldn't let work get in the way of a chance to be happy with someone. Essentially I wouldn't be scared to make a move "just because". That would be like choosing not to go outside because you could get hit by a car.
That's fine. In the end it's not up to either one of us. I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 2011-06-07, 06:04   Link #8937
hamandbacon

How to start dating after divorce?

My aunt has been divorced for 4 years... his ex husband already has a new girlfriend now. She is now on her 30's... do you know how i can help her to start dating again after her divorce?

Last edited by hamandbacon; 2011-07-08 at 14:05.
hamandbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 06:42   Link #8938
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
This thread is better suited here imho
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 07:48   Link #8939
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Frankly, I'd recommend a dating service like eHarmony. Otherwise, her options are "church of choice", taking classes (either non-credit or credit), or annoying "friends fix up". Obviously, I do not recommend the random "bar hopping" option.

Crafts, hobbies, learning, activities - places where people with a known chance of like-minded tastes in something....

Several of my friends who have successfully found new companions in "after 30" life all used a dating/matchmaking service or activity clubs to narrow the search down.
Old 2011-06-07, 15:17   Link #8940
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I wouldn't suggest eHarmony unless she's a conservative Christian. Since, well, that's all you find on eHarmony are conservative Christians and the odd raving fundamentalist.

Tags
advice, break-ups, dating, dating after divorce, divorce, happiness, love, pairings, single dad, single mom