AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic > Past FMP Series (Archive)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-26, 16:06   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

FMP The Second Raid licensed

From AnimeOnDVD

Quote:
FUNimation Entertainment Awarded Rights to Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid by Kadokawa Pictures USA ***
-- Volume 1 DVD set to street on October 3 --

FORT WORTH, TX -- May 26, 2006 -- FUNimation Entertainment, a wholly-owned
subsidiary of Navarre Corporation, announced that it has been awarded Full Metal
Panic: The Second Raid by Kadokawa Pictures USA. Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid
is the third season in this popular anime series and FUNimation has scheduled
October 3, 2006 as the street date for the first DVD.

"We are excited to work with Kadokawa Pictures USA on this series," said Gen
Fukunaga, president and CEO of FUNimation Entertainment. "These are the first steps
in a mutually beneficial relationship and releasing Full Metal Panic: The Second
Raid, with its high quality production values and established fanbase, is a great
way to start."

"We are very excited to collaborate with FUNimation in releasing Full Metal
Panic: The Second Raid, which marks Kadokawa Pictures USA's first North American DVD
release. We have found FUNimation to have a well thought-out sales strategy and an
incredible management and support team. Their passion to distribute and promote
this title was remarkable, and we look forward to working with them again in the
future," said Takashi Sakuda, General Manager of Kadokawa Pictures USA, Inc.

The first Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid DVD and starter sets have been scheduled
for release on October 3, 2006.
Old 2006-05-26, 16:21   Link #2
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07

WTF?!!!

Well, you can be sure that FUNimation will be able to reassemble the original English cast of the main characters.
Old 2006-05-26, 16:35   Link #3
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Funi got it? That's a huge suprise. If ADV can't even pick up the next part in one of their most popular title, they're just about finished as a company...

As for the original cast, didn't they get most of the originals for the tenchi ova? I think they'll at least make an attempt.
Old 2006-05-26, 16:40   Link #4
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Funimation and ADV have been borrowing voiceactors from each other for two years. Of course they'll get the old cast back.
Old 2006-05-26, 17:25   Link #5
philip72

Excellent news! I can hardly wait to buy it.
Old 2006-05-26, 21:36   Link #6
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I have to admit I'm very, very surprised ADV didn't get this. As Kamui4356 said, that the company that once had what was nearly a monopoly on N.A. licensed anime can't get the latest series in one of its biggest name franchises is an indication of a huge decline. I really, really hope they can retain the old cast though. FMP very highly ranks among my favourite dubs.

Can't wait for the DVDs to be released in Australia.... even if it probably won't be until 2007. I'll certainly be buying them as soon as they come out.
Old 2006-05-27, 00:56   Link #7
one3rd

Based on the press release, it looks like there's more to it than Funimation simply outbidding ADV. Since being purchased by Navarre, they seem to have more financial backing and perhaps a better distribution system. As much as I may have liked to see ADV pick it up, I'll buy it from whoever licenses it whether the original English cast returns or not.
Old 2006-05-27, 08:00   Link #8
Crucifix

Well, I was worried for some time now since FMP:TSR isn't licensed yet, a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders at this announcement but I am worried now if they can assemble the original english voice actors or if the english audio will be 5.1, not to mention that the ADV release of the art boxes are well......standard, the menu layout, the translation......gyaaahhh!

Lots of worries huh? But Funimation will definitely get my money with KGNE and FMP:TSR!
Old 2006-05-27, 09:11   Link #9
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

ADV's dub script writers did a great job too, and that script was part of what made the first two FMP series dubs great. Funimation has, since coming out of the DBZ era, had great dubs acting-wise, but I don't know if their writing teams can match what the ADV writers did for FMP. FMPF especially had an awesome dubbed script.

I've always watched FMP subbed or raw first and then watched the dub later. Funimation getting this license sort of irks me because they use those awful white subtitles and honorifics. I wish they'd scrap that policy and follow suit with everyone else. I always feel robbed when I watch their releases subbed, because I pay for a "translation" and I don't get a complete translation. As far as I can see this is the only shortcoming with the FMP license. The only thing I can hope for is that Kadokawa makes them translate it the same way ADV did.
Old 2006-05-27, 09:32   Link #10
Crucifix

Well, the honorifics kinda put me off, the translation from the first two FMP's are more english less japanese if you know what I'm talking about.

I also enjoyed the jokes and how they edited the translation in Fumoffu so they will sound funnier, all in all since a Funi representative confirmed that they are using R2 material and they will include the promo and Tessa OVA in the R1 release, I'm happy.
Old 2006-05-27, 09:51   Link #11
Harukalover
In exile

Doesn't Funimation ever run out of money? It seems like they are the only licensing company. Everytime I look another anime is licensed by them.

While ADV seems to have taken a backseat in the industry. What was the last thing they licensed again? This Ugly and Beautiful World. I doubt that will bring that much of a profit as FMP would.

Well anyway, I'll buy it when it comes out. I just hope it doesn't take forever because of everything that Funimation has to still release...
Old 2006-05-27, 10:17   Link #12
Ranko
Mech Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to Ranko Send a message via AIM to Ranko
Honestly i too am starting to wondering about ADV's health as a company, when they can't get the license for a show that they already hold the first two seasons of and two of it's manga lines.

and for some reason ADV's weekend sale also bother's me as well.

And to top it off, i still havn't fully let Funi's sins of DBZ dubbing go, and as ADV was the first company who's shows i really, liked it just irks me to see what i considered to be a sub par company get an anime that normaly would have gone to one of the best companies.

Last edited by Ranko; 2006-05-27 at 11:06.
Old 2006-05-27, 16:08   Link #13
masterwok

is it going to have the same director as FMP and Fumoffu? that would be good because nothing would change except the distributor. i would buy it when it comes out because i can't wait to see it
Old 2006-06-01, 04:54   Link #14
AstroNerdBoy

I for one am glad for FUNimation scoring this title (though it is a huge shock to me). I'm a huge fan of the policy to leave honorifics in the subtitles, which is why FUNimation now gets most of my anime money this year.

As to the delay in the series license being announced, I'm told that FUNimation was waiting to announce the TSR series until they had the OAV episode as well. Take that with a grain of salt since it is unofficial.

As to FUNimation taking the title from ADV, it is ironic since ADV began licensing sequels to titles AnimEgio had licensed. You're Under Arrest, & Kimagure Orange Road immediately spring to mind. Of course to be fair, several companies began taking sequel titles from AnimEigo. ^_^;;;
Old 2006-06-21, 17:05   Link #15
Jehuty77
Legendary Hero

Send a message via MSN to Jehuty77
So there is still no word on if they will be re-assembling the old cast of voice actors.

I for one really enjoyed sosuke and Kaname's english voice actors, i hope Funimation gets them.

Hmm i wonder when we'll hear about the voice actors?

Is it like we have to wait till release date or will be hear in advance?
Old 2006-06-21, 17:20   Link #16
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty77
Hmm i wonder when we'll hear about the voice actors?

Is it like we have to wait till release date or will be hear in advance?
The AnimeOnDVD forums would be the best place to find out about the voice actors.
Old 2006-06-23, 00:53   Link #17
MandyDi
Sousuke and Kaname....

[QUOTE=Crucifix]Well, the honorifics kinda put me off, the translation from the first two FMP's are more english less japanese if you know what I'm talking about.
[QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I am a little confused. What are honorifics?

Also- on another note, I am just as totally surprised as everyone else seems to be. Heres hoping for the orginial english cast!
Old 2006-07-03, 14:04   Link #18
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Late reply, but since no-one else has:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyDi
I'm sorry, but I am a little confused. What are honorifics?
Chan, Kun, San, Sama and so on are all honourifics. Terms of respect to give them another name.
Old 2006-07-04, 06:47   Link #19
MandyDi
Sousuke and Kaname....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
Late reply, but since no-one else has:

Chan, Kun, San, Sama and so on are all honourifics. Terms of respect to give them another name.

Thanks for clearing that up
Old 2006-07-06, 06:55   Link #20
Teodoric79

ADV is handling the production of the series and Funimation is handling the marketing.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=9115
Closed Thread