AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-04-13, 00:08   Link #921
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Me take! XD

Would give rep, but wont let me lol!
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 00:08   Link #922
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Surrounded by Mistery (cool isn't?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Over-translation is never a bad thing. If you are familiar enough with the otaku culture, you should have picked up the term from listening alone.

Beside, the more you watched anime... shouldnt you rely less on the subs?
I think exactly the same. People with experience should have noted when 'moe' was said, while people with less experience can understand somewhat the meaning of the conversation.

BTW I hope the meaningless talk can be reduced in the next episode...
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 00:11   Link #923
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
Touhou seems to making parodies of this like crazy... Already seen 3 made in this week...
~Tsukuyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 00:24   Link #924
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 34
Arrow

Two more for the road. I would also like to note that I felt like I was being brainwashed having to loop the OP to and fro so many times just to make sure I extracted all the frames.

"Darling, darling, please!"


"First come, first serve."

The above GIFs are actually 3 times slower than the actual animation. In actuality, there are only SIX frames in total, of which only FIVE are unique. So basically I took a lot of liberties to make sure the above GIFs are somewhat presentable.

Cheers.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 00:26   Link #925
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 28
Yeah, a.f.k. really does seem to do things differently compared to some other fansub groups. Kanon episode 20 comes to mind, in the scene where Yuuichi is teasing Ayu about using the term "boku". Since "boku" doesn't have an English equivalent, I really thought they did a decent job conveying the message across the culture gap. I recall one blogger praising their work in that scene as an example of good fansubbing.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 00:42   Link #926
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post

"First come, first serve."
I claim this!

No seriously , just wanted to say that I posted the same gif as the first (just 100x100) some days ago (and several pages ago, post 609), and it's currently in use

Spoiler for this one:


By the way, these were the unclaimed, they could still be useful

__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 00:47   Link #927
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: edge of my dream in the land of twilight...ZzzZzZ
Hmm. What an adorable anime this is and Izumi is voiced by Hirano Aya! Izumi's also the main heroine it seems and her personality is just hilarious. Awsome!

The first episode seemed so random though with the characters talking about nonsense and small talk. I'll probably check out the next 3 episodes to see if this anime leads any where.
__________________
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 00:49   Link #928
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 34
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I claim this!

No seriously , just wanted to say that I posted the same gif as the first (just 100x100) some days ago (and several pages ago, post 609), and it's currently in use

Spoiler for this one:
~
I thought you might have done something similar already, since I recalled you mentioning about avatars from the OP, but I also know you rarely do "widescreen" avatars and that Kagami scene just begged to be seen in more detail.

Especially when she goes to the corner and spies out of one eye.

IT'S SO CUTE!!!!

Cheers.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 01:14   Link #929
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I thought you might have done something similar already, since I recalled you mentioning about avatars from the OP, but I also know you rarely do "widescreen" avatars and that Kagami scene just begged to be seen in more detail.
Let's just say that using the afk version is simplier than the 120 fps raw

__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 01:56   Link #930
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
I also made another one.



Kinda looks as if she is crying.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 02:05   Link #931
Ashlotte
Clockwork
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
*eyes avatars* Mmm...so tempting...*randomly steals an unclaimed one*

And I cant remember when I started adding A.F.K. to the list of fansubbers I watch out for, but yea they've never disappointed me before.

Oh and awesome episode breakdown kaioshin. Excluding the guile bit I think it mirrored most of my thoughts on the episode...Kindof uneven, but enjoyable nonetheless.
__________________

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 02:20   Link #932
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
So any of you compared the version 2 releases by the other groups? If so what group do you think did the best job for Lucky Star?
Just watched them..... errrrr, something *happened* to the video with SF. The video quality went down from their first version. The font choice in the story was better (didn't block view so bad) but the karaoke seriously blocked the action in the OP. Timing seems a bit rough in spots for the subtitles. I still like the way they're just leaving the food names alone (just my preference) but their explanatory notes should be in a much smaller font (people interested can always hit pause if they really want to know).
This is a new group and new effort so if they want to use this series to practice on because they love the show, more power to them. They're still learning how to use various tools - I'd suggest they play around with styles and get some feedback.

A.F.K. doesn't have a v2 out that I'm aware of... their first effort looked fine so my only whining is a matter of preference of translation style for food items. I thought they handled the speech styles, slang, and so forth fairly well. I like their font (not as fond of pink as they are though) and the quality of their video output was good (I don't know if the video quality problem with SF was due to raw source or some encode evil but their v1 played better on all my players).


@FPB: some of the posters confusing you have a history of sorts. Credibility... .... well you can always review their posts you know (thats what I do when someone has me scratching my head).
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 02:21   Link #933
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 34
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I also made another one.



Kinda looks as if she is crying.
You may have your Tsukasa, I will go with Kagami.

Sleepy-mode Kagami this time,


Cheers.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 02:23   Link #934
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So are we at the point where despite any flaws the whimsical Lucky Star may have, Kyoto Animation is absolved of the shortcomings and Lucky Star is the infalliable perfect show of the season or does that come with episode 2? Is it even coming this time or is just the fun little series its meant to be?

That's what I hate most of all when watching one of their shows, ever since Haruhi I have had this fear that I'm about to get swept up in something I want no part of when watching a Kyoto show. *Fidget, bites lip....AAH what was that, oh my foot.....*. If I sleep tonight and have nightmares about that creepy Konata face I'm holding everybody here responsible. Phew, there's actually less Konata avatars than I thought, I think I'm starting to hallucinate. Wait no there aren't, its starting again...... or is it. Need to sleep, paranoia running at levels uncharted....

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-13 at 02:33.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 02:31   Link #935
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
You may have your Tsukasa, I will go with Kagami.
Well, my favorite girl so far is Miyuki, I just went with the Tsukasa one because I though it would be easier to make.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 02:39   Link #936
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 34
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
So are we at the point where despite any flaws the whimsical Lucky Star may have, Kyoto Animation is absolved of the shortcomings and Lucky Star is the infalliable perfect show of the season or does that come with episode 2? Is it even coming this time or is just the fun little series its meant to be?

That's what I hate most of all when watching one of their shows, ever since Haruhi I have had this fear that I'm about to get swept up in something I want no part of when watching a Kyoto show. *Fidget, bites lip....AAH what was that, oh my foot.....*. If I sleep tonight and have nightmares about that creepy Konata face I'm holding everybody here responsible. Phew, there's actually less Konata avatars than I thought, I think I'm starting to hallucinate. Need to sleep.
[Hysterical]

It's the end of the world! The end is NIGH! Whatever shall we do?!?!

[/Hysterical]

But seriously...
  1. There are no hordes here screaming about the perfection of Lucky Star. Stop looking for dragons and ghosts where there are none.
    .
  2. This is a thread for the DISCUSSION of Lucky Star. Were you expecting the haters to waste their time bitching about how much they hated the show after the initial episode? Most people who don't like Lucky Star have better things to do than to waste their time talking about it in a thread dedicated to it because you know, they might rather spend their time watching other shows and talk about those shows instead on their respective discussion threads.
    .
  3. If you really, really want to find people who don't like Lucky Star, go to the Anti threads on 4ch. This is not the Anti thread for Lucky Star. It is also by no means the "worship" thread, but common sense dictates that as time goes by, the majority of the posters in here will be people who enjoyed Lucky Star enough to stick around and talk about it. Common sense!
    .
  4. Are you in the habit of entering Apple Stores and asking people why they hate Microsoft so much? Does it even make sense to do so? Do you think it is weird to find vegetarians in the PETA HQ? How many butchers do you think work in the RSPCA? Do you expect to find proponents of whale-fishing working in Greenpeace?

    Good grief. Think about the territory you are posting in before you start making sweeping statements about Lucky Star. This thread does not represent the world.
Cheers.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 02:46   Link #937
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
[Hysterical]

It's the end of the world! The end is NIGH! Whatever shall we do?!?!

[/Hysterical]

But seriously...
  1. There are no hordes here screaming about the perfection of Lucky Star. Stop looking for dragons and ghosts where there are none.
    .
  2. This is a thread for the DISCUSSION of Lucky Star. Were you expecting the haters to waste their time bitching about how much they hated the show after the initial episode? Most people who don't like Lucky Star have better things to do than to waste their time talking about it in a thread dedicated to it because you know, they might rather spend their time watching other shows and talk about those shows instead on their respective discussion threads.
    .
  3. If you really, really want to find people who don't like Lucky Star, go to the Anti threads on 4ch. This is not the Anti thread for Lucky Star. It is also by no means the "worship" thread, but common sense dictates that as time goes by, the majority of the posters in here will be people who enjoyed Lucky Star enough to stick around and talk about it. Common sense!
    .
  4. Are you in the habit of entering Apple Stores and asking people why they hate Microsoft so much? Does it even make sense to do so? Do you think it is weird to find vegetarians in the PETA HQ? How many butchers do you think work in the RSPCA? Do you expect to find proponents of whale-fishing working in Greenpeace?

    Good grief. Think about the territory you are posting in before you start making sweeping statements about Lucky Star. This thread does not represent the world.
Cheers.
Damn I forgot my common sense. I can't put logical thoughts together at this moment otherwise I would have long since caught on to your number 3 point. My IQ is probably cut in half right now after being awake for 28 hours and all the gears aren't running properly, the past is meeting the present as well. Sorry folks.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 02:49   Link #938
Ashlotte
Clockwork
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Ah dangit skane...Whyd you have to add that one after I just changed my avy.

*steals anyway*

And i'll be happy if the show just gives me a few good laughs per episode. For this one it was mostly from the channel bit at the end...I half expected her to break out a pack of cigs when she started ranting.
__________________

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 03:02   Link #939
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 59
Oh, I've been known to hang about long after I've decided I loathe a show (sometimes just in amazement).... but really, this show isn't perfect.

It *is* just the kind of show I tend to like the most in anime (insert heavy references to Peanuts, Calvin&Hobbes, a bit of Bloom County and blend with japanese sauces and life-seasoning). Frankly, the BGM music in the food discussion scene says it all musically for me
The R1 release will be going next to Azumanga-Daioh and Pani Poni Dash in my library.

Personally, I think Konata-chan, moppy-haired, antennae, zen face, droll voicing et al is a treasure, not creepy.... but I'm a sucker for petite little moppy-headed, antennae-sprouting, growly-voiced, asian females.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 03:10   Link #940
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Oh, I've been known to hang about long after I've decided I loathe a show (sometimes just in amazement).... but really, this show isn't perfect.

It *is* just the kind of show I tend to like the most in anime (insert heavy references to Peanuts, Calvin&Hobbes, a bit of Bloom County and blend with japanese sauces and life-seasoning). Frankly, the BGM music in the food discussion scene says it all musically for me
The R1 release will be going next to Azumanga-Daioh and Pani Poni Dash in my library.

Personally, I think Konata-chan, moppy-haired, antennae, zen face, droll voicing et al is a treasure, not creepy.... but I'm a sucker for petite little moppy-headed, antennae-sprouting, growly-voiced, asian females.
Okay well I'm fairly certain she's going to give me nightmares at some point. She has the kind of voice that haunts you in your sleep. Plus the stare, it's like that one picture of Haruhi with the eyes boring into you. I think I called it the "Face of Evil" or something. That being said she is my favourite character. Sometimes its the characters that get under your skin and inside your head where you don't want them the most that you end up preferring. Anyway if you want to see expert lurking, look for me in the Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight Thread whenever it resurfaces. That my friend is good lurking.

Anyway, I think I've noticed your penchant for the er... what you called them. I'm not sure what I prefer yet in an anime female, but it probably involves Rie Kugimiya and lots of angry shouting, possibly "Onichan you (insert rambling sentence) Baka" *Blunt Object* and such.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, kyoto animation, moe, otaku, school life, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.