AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-01-06, 20:07   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Kaze no Shoujo Emily (Emily of New Moon)

Production Company: TMS Entertainment

Genre: Drama, Classic

Expected Release Date: April 2007

The series is based on the first book of the classic Emily series, written by L.M. Montgomery. Emily series has three books and the first book is called Emily of the New Moon. When I first read it, I was still in my Junior High School. Obviously, I didn't like it because it was a book report assignment. The book also features some of the nastiest human beings guised in relatives (such as in aunt/stepmother) one would find in many of these classic reading which I was never fond of. I read the other two books of that series after getting into High School. Yeah, I read it on my own accord because the featured story still was on of the feel-good ones I've found in the classics. The director is going to be Kosaka Harume while the series composition and the screenplay will be done by Shimada Michiru who has some impressive names under her belt. The producers are even hiring a cultural advisor called Akamatsu Yoshiku who is an Assistant Professor in Notre Dame Seishin University. I'm not exactly sure if this university is located in Japan, but I sure am impressed that the producers want to seek advice from a professional for a viable anime adaptation. Now for the seiyuu cast for the the significant roles:

Kawakami Tomoko will voice Emily. Bleach-fans should be able to recognize her as Soi Fong.

Okamura Akemi will voice Perry. She happens to be one of my favorite seiyuu because of her very recognizable role as Nami from One Piece.

Shinohara Emi will adopt the narrating role who is known as Mrs. Wind in the books. She will be called Kaze no Obasan in the anime. Fair enough!

Miyata Kouki will be voicing Teddy. Karin-fans may recognize him as Winner-kun, the vampire hunter who passes out when he sees blood.

Kojima Sachiko will be voicing Ilse. She also voiced the kawaii Oro-sama in his youth. On the other hand, Grapler-fans will simply recognize her voice as Kozue.

Anyway, here is a synopsis of the story as it reads in Wiki:
Emily Starr is sent to live at New Moon Farm on Prince Edward Island with her aunts Elizabeth and Laura Murray. She makes friends with Ilse Burnley, Teddy Kent, and Perry Miller, the hired boy, who Aunt Elizabeth looks down upon because he was born in 'Stovepipe Town', a poorer district. Each of the children have special gifts. Emily was born to be a writer, Teddy is a gifted artist, Ilse is a talented elocutionist, and Perry has the makings of a great politician. They also each have a few problems with their families. Emily has a hard time getting along with Aunt Elizabeth, who doesn't understand her need to write. Ilse's father, Dr. Burnley, ignores Ilse most of the time because because of a dreadful secret concerning Ilse's mother. Teddy's mother is jealous of her son's talents and friends, fearing that his love for them will eclipse his love for her. As a result, she hates Emily, Teddy's drawings, and even his pets. Perry isn't as well off as the other three, so his Aunt Tom once tries to make Emily promise to marry Perry when they grow up, threatening that unless Emily does so, she won't pay for Perry's schooling.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-06, 23:49   Link #2
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Kawakami Tomoko will voice Emily. Bleach-fans should be able to recognize her as Soi Fong.
And Utena, and Shindo Hikaru, and a million other more well-known characters.

I've always found it the weirdest thing when authors will write a series of novels, stretching out for years, then end it, then start an indentical series again, especially when both series are basically autobiographical. I don't think I'll be checking this out, because I'm not into this sort of Anne of Green Gables stuff. Although I liked Avonlea when it aired in the '90s, but I was something like 10, and still enamored with snow and forests and getting into good ol' fashioned mischief, and oh fuck, I'll watch a couple of episodes.
Old 2007-01-06, 23:56   Link #3
Amaiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
And Utena, and Shindo Hikaru, and a million other more well-known characters.

I've always found it the weirdest thing when authors will write a series of novels, stretching out for years, then end it, then start an indentical series again. I don't think I'll be checking this out, because I'm not into this sort of Anne of Green Gables stuff. Although I liked Avonlea when it aired in the '90s, but I was something like 10, and still enamored with snow and forests and getting into good ol' fashioned mischief, and oh fuck, I'll watch a couple of episodes.
Just to be nitpickery, the Emily series is very different from the Anne of Green Gables series; for one, it's much, much darker in spots than Anne ever was, though who knows how much of that they'll keep in the anime adaption. Also, Emily's no Anne clone; while they both run around "imagining" constantly, Emily is a far harder personality than Anne, arrogant and bitchy in a way that Anne never was. Personally, I prefer Emily.
Amaiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:43   Link #4
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

episode 1 raw

Oh, man, now that's anime at a high level. The animation, story, characters, voice-acting, backgrounds, music -- all top class.

You have to be able to take such an old-fashioned story, and enjoy its traditional emotions, but if you can, do yourself a favor and watch episode one.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 23). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru), Ben-To (Hana). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki), Kimi no Iru Machi (Rin). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Blade & Soul (Jin Valel), Soul Eater Not! (Meme), Seven Deadly Sins (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Gangsta (Nina), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy), One-Punch Man (Tornado), Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan (Goura), Hidan no Aria AA (Kirin). 2016 ERASED (Kayo), Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu), Ace Attorney (Mayoi), Tanaka-kun (Rino).
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:51   Link #5
Hafl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Oh, man, now that's anime at a high level. The animation, story, characters, voice-acting, backgrounds, music -- all top class.

You have to be able to take such an old-fashioned story, and enjoy its traditional emotions, but if you can, do yourself a favor and watch episode one.
I completely agree, though having read the book, the anime seems a little too fast paced to me. The first episode actually speeded through the first five chapters. The main points were unchanged, but Aunt Elizabeth lost some characterization.
Hafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 15:30   Link #6
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hafl View Post
I completely agree, though having read the book, the anime seems a little too fast paced to me. The first episode actually speeded through the first five chapters. The main points were unchanged, but Aunt Elizabeth lost some characterization.
Interesting. I haven't read the book, but I can imagine. Nevertheless, I got some feelings about Aunt Elizabeth in little hints here and there.
Spoiler for ep1:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 23). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru), Ben-To (Hana). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki), Kimi no Iru Machi (Rin). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Blade & Soul (Jin Valel), Soul Eater Not! (Meme), Seven Deadly Sins (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Gangsta (Nina), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy), One-Punch Man (Tornado), Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan (Goura), Hidan no Aria AA (Kirin). 2016 ERASED (Kayo), Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu), Ace Attorney (Mayoi), Tanaka-kun (Rino).
Old 2007-04-08, 19:48   Link #7
Hafl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Spoiler for ep1:
Spoiler for ep1 and few first chapters:
Old 2007-04-08, 21:03   Link #8
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
I haven't seen the first episode but I know that it already aired. Is it like Anne of Green Gables??? I loved Anne of Green Gables and read all the books.
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 21:19   Link #9
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
Do my eyes deceive me or is it the same people behind Snow Queen that are doing the show.

The art style / fonts / fact that it's NHK and TMS Entertainment collaboration would suggest as such.

As for it being like Anne of Green Gables what do you mean?. It's an adaptation of a classic novel anime indeed but it's not part of WMT if thats what you mean. Was there any other series made by NHK and TMS prior to Snow Queen??? Just wondering if they're taking over where WMT left off.....

-gumbaloom
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 03:50   Link #10
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I've been spending tonight watching episodes of anime that isn't subbed yet .

So far, this one is almost my favorite. And the animation is excellent, every bit of it screams high quality (the high def raw didn't hurt either ).

Ah, I hope someone subs it... Too many good shows tempt me....
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 20:24   Link #11
usagijen

Just watched the first episode, and I loved it~ ^-^
Just a bit sad that it doesn't seem to be getting much attention... have to spread it and let people show it more love that it deserves :3

anyways, posted a summary in my blog for anyone who wants to see, just click here

I'm certain that I'll be watching out for this every week (and blog about it too). More love for Emily of New Moon~ <3
usagijen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 22:16   Link #12
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_of_Hell View Post
I haven't seen the first episode but I know that it already aired. Is it like Anne of Green Gables??? I loved Anne of Green Gables and read all the books.
Yes, it's by the same author -- Lucy Maud Montgomery -- is about a girl who has to go and live with relatives she doesn't know, and is set in the same place, Prince Edward Island. But the girl has a somewhat different character from Anne. The first episode was wonderful.
Old 2007-04-11, 22:43   Link #13
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So they finally made an Anime about life on the East Coast of Canada. Well my family hails from Quebec and I was born in Ontario, but I have some family in New Brunswick as well. Don't know how they expect to nail the unique Maritime accent. Picture every vowel pronounced like a long A and you have it down.

"Sa Ate Wad Ba Samthan Lake Thas Fa Saure."

Remember though, nothing quite reaches the fast paced nature of life on the east coast. That being said I seem to recall catching about 10 minutes of an episode on the CBC (The channel owned and operated by the government) back in 98 and it was rather depressing and seemed matter of fact to me. If you think its just becaue it takes place in the early 20th century that things are that rough, its not. My parents went to visit my uncle in New Brunswick and its a very slow and laid back province. Not a lot happens out there and most of Canada barely has any real contact with the Maritime provinces. It's a lonely and very rough life out there and there's not a whole lot of incentive to stay. Young people are always making the move to Ontario from the Maritimes because there is next to no opportunity out there unless you want to take part in lobster trapping, farming or fishing.

Speaking of 10 minutes, if anybody finds it bizarre that there's really not a whole lot around in PEI, that's generally what its like anywhere in Canada, 10 minutes in any direction will usually lead you to a wide open field. All the major cities are connected by the TCH (Trans-Canada-Highway), which runs along the south end of the country. The city I live in Hamilton has a population of 504,559 people making it the 9th most populated city in the country and 5 times the population of PEI where this series takes place. Canada also boasts a population density of 3.5 people per square kilometer. Exciting facts to be sure.

Gotta love the promo pic their with the sun shining. The sun barely shines in Ontario and the East Coast is well known for its fog and chunks of ice bergs ending up in harbours and what not. It is very very cold out there.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-11 at 23:16.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 15:26   Link #14
Virgrin

Just watched the first episode and I rather liked it... I agree about being too fast-paced compared to the book though...

Spoiler for ep 1:
Virgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 20:32   Link #15
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

for all who wants to slightly catch up with the second episode, here's a decent length summary to keep up.

I hope that this series does have a bit of watching, even though I doubt so due to the rather acquired taste.
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 11:24   Link #16
usagijen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
for all who wants to slightly catch up with the second episode, here's a decent length summary to keep up.

I hope that this series does have a bit of watching, even though I doubt so due to the rather acquired taste.
posted my summary and thoughts on episode two as well... --> summary and thoughts on episode 2
I'm such a slow poke ^^''''

and I also hope this series gets more appreciation and love from people~ It's just sad that not that many people appreciate slow-paced, classical animes like this

Last edited by usagijen; 2007-04-18 at 19:07.
Old 2007-04-18, 16:51   Link #17
Hafl

Well, my thoughts on the second episode are best summed by saying, that everything in it was great, except the last few moments. Ilse just shouldn't behave like this, and I can't see any story reason for it.
Old 2007-04-18, 19:11   Link #18
usagijen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hafl View Post
Well, my thoughts on the second episode are best summed by saying, that everything in it was great, except the last few moments. Ilse just shouldn't behave like this, and I can't see any story reason for it.
hmm... but perhaps they will show what reason she have behind what she did in the next episode (or the coming episodes, at least) They must be taking some twists or turns from the original novel to give it more spice(?)... Let's just hope it doesn't go out-of-character, or many people who have read the novel might be displeased o__o
Old 2007-04-19, 08:30   Link #19
Virgrin

Quote:
hmm... but perhaps they will show what reason she have behind what she did in the next episode (or the coming episodes, at least) They must be taking some twists or turns from the original novel to give it more spice(?)... Let's just hope it doesn't go out-of-character, or many people who have read the novel might be displeased o__o
They must have a very good reason for Ilse to behave like that, because in the book she actually liked Emily from the start and defended her from the other bullying girls at school... Judging from the last moments of ep 2 and the preview for ep 3 she seems to be the one teasing Emily the most
Virgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 10:18   Link #20
Hafl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgrin View Post
They must have a very good reason for Ilse to behave like that, because in the book she actually liked Emily from the start and defended her from the other bullying girls at school... Judging from the last moments of ep 2 and the preview for ep 3 she seems to be the one teasing Emily the most
I think it's because the anime would cut the subplot about Rhoda Stuart. Ilse isn't person to really hold a grudge and in the anime, there's been no mention of tension between Murrays and Ilse's father, so it might be that she isn't really serious. Still I would like the original plotline much better - I want to see the dead snake. Though it's hard to tell without seeing the next episode.

Tags
drama, historical