AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 33 25.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 37.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 23.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.79%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.15%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-09, 22:10   Link #201
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post

Kona-chan's sash looked rather different from the rest. So I'm wondering, for those who know about yukatas, is hers tied properly? Her sash design looks really difficult to tie.
It's pretty messy, actually. The obi, if tying it into a butterfly knot, should be fluffy and big, like the other girls' obi. Saying that Kona-chan's obi looks like it was really difficult to tie is a real compliment to Kona's dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Oh that's a Suzumiya Haruhi reference cause Haruhi wore a Yukata during one of the festivals.
Old 2007-05-09, 22:25   Link #202
Anime Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
It's pretty messy, actually. The obi, if tying it into a butterfly knot, should be fluffy and big, like the other girls' obi. Saying that Kona-chan's obi looks like it was really difficult to tie is a real compliment to Kona's dad.

Darn, I thought Kona's dad would be so into galge that he even learnt how to tie the obi, which I understand is a really difficult skill (or at least, a skill not many Japanese know how to do).

As a sidenote, I read that some love hotels even have staff who know how to tie the obi to assist guests who do not know how to retie it.
Old 2007-05-09, 23:18   Link #203
cpxmay
Gensokyo Adventurer

Did you guys manage to catch this scene?

Spoiler for :
Old 2007-05-09, 23:38   Link #204
robertness

This episode was the best so far. The writers are doing a good job of gradually building up the girls' personalities from one episode to the next.

I dug the scene with the fan. I think I did the same thing last summer....

Yui wandering about the carnival in her police uniform with various souvenirs dangling from it was priceless. "If I weren't on duty, I'd really be having fun."
Old 2007-05-10, 00:15   Link #205
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Didn't really look back the pages, so forgive me if it's being stated already but...

Am I the only one who thinks Kagami's goldfish dere-dere was extremely creepy as hell?

That aside, it was a good episode. I still hate Lucky Channel, but I can live with it.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-05-10, 00:29   Link #206
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Didn't really look back the pages, so forgive me if it's being stated already but...

Am I the only one who thinks Kagami's goldfish dere-dere was extremely creepy as hell?
~
I found it very endearing, but at the same time... like a setup for something tragic.

Heh.
Old 2007-05-10, 00:32   Link #207
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I found it very endearing, but at the same time... like a setup for something tragic.

Heh.
Indeed. Goldfish that size aren't known for their hardiness - especially the ones from festivals, carnivals, and the like.

Suddenly I flash back to her traumatic weight-gain confession when I imagine her finding the poor thing floating
Old 2007-05-10, 00:37   Link #208
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

The gold fish is probably forshadowing to future jokes. I can see a million ways they can go about it. Poor poor Kagamin. >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Hmm, I would've used "gotcha." The nuance seems to be appropiate in that sense.
But but but... that totally throws off the reference to Pokemon.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-05-10, 00:40   Link #209
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Indeed. Goldfish that size aren't known for their hardiness - especially the ones from festivals, carnivals, and the like.

Suddenly I flash back to her traumatic weight-gain confession when I imagine her finding the poor thing floating
Does anybody else find it amusing that it is Kagami who is crying the most in Lucky Star?

Heh.
Old 2007-05-10, 00:50   Link #210
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Angry

So the reason I haven't given me piece about this yet is that I've sworn to myself I will finish up the last 4 episodes of the LOGH: Hundred Billion Stars Hundred Billion Lights OVA before doing watching anything else tonight (Which is almost like watching an entire 12 episodes series since they're each 25 minutes long excluding opening and endings and one episode is equivalent to about 3 episodes of most anime in terms of overall story critical content. The series doesn't screw around with its time.)

Anyway finally the 6th Iserlohn Conflict is over and now I'm ready to go back to Lucky Star episode 5:

Spoiler:

So it's come to this....WHAT THE FREAKING HOLY HECK HAPPENED WITH THIS EPISODE???!!!! This is without a doubt the single unequivocal worst episode of this entire series for me thus far. This was supposed to be good with the whole RPG summer break fun angle, but as people can see if they compare this episodes breakdown to last ones, I could barely find anything to talk about.

What was the point of this episode, to advertise Comp Fest and to score points with certain portions of the fanbase, it certainly couldn't have been comedy because the only amusing points took place between the 7:00-9:15 mark of the episode and even then it was a "ha" remark. Couple this with inconsistency in pacing (They literally would pause for what felt like 10 seconds at times inbetween lines and it wasn't even a pause for comedic effect, they just stopped), animation (Missing eyes, weird head shapes, Konata's face gaining and losing detail in one scene) and the ending and I can barely think of a single good thing to say about this episode. It was a waste of my time and I pray to god I can pretend this never happened. Not only that but to add insult to injury we've had to endure the same Lucky Channel joke for five episodes in a row. I just feel sick. I don't know if I committed an error in watching the dead serious LOGH before this episode and if I was in the wrong mood for comedy, but even then I should still not feel disgusted, just bored. I'm also not sure if it had something to do with A.F.K's subs, but yet again the presentation was just a step above abysmal for this episodes summer theme.

As it stands all I can give this episode is an extremely generous 3/10, because I did chuckle 3 times and the episode does exhist to get a potential 1 (3+1=4), but it loses points for the advertising and overall inconsistency (4-1.5= 2.5 rounded up to 3). I'm grasping at straws here people should also realize to give the episode the highest rating I possibly can. Also what I can give this episode is a prayer that this gets fixed by the next episode. I'm just.....Ugh.... Why?!

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-05-10 at 01:07.
Old 2007-05-10, 01:02   Link #211
Ffenix Rising
*Graphic Designer

Well... I'm speechless... anyone got a Diet Pepsi?
Old 2007-05-10, 01:03   Link #212
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Does anybody else find it amusing that it is Kagami who is crying the most in Lucky Star?

Heh.
Aah, she's the classic type who thinks she's the most stable and self-sufficient of the group, but it turns out she's the most unstable and needy of them all... And she's so adorable when she cries. <3
Old 2007-05-10, 01:15   Link #213
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

@Kaioshin-chan,

I'm trying my best to understand your critique here, but as things go, the screwed grammatical structuring of your words left me high and dry. I hardly understand a quarter of what you're talking about.
Old 2007-05-10, 01:15   Link #214
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

Heh.

Let's get that urban legend about goldfishes committing suicide comes true in LS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
@Kaioshin-chan,

I'm trying my best to understand your critique here, but as things go, the screwed grammatical structuring of your words left me high and dry. I hardly understand a quarter of what you're talking about.
He went in the spatial void fillled with trash known as /a/, he forgot his stupid-proof spacesuit.
Old 2007-05-10, 01:28   Link #215
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
@Kaioshin-chan,

Fine, I'll explain this in a clear and concise manner, but only once.

I start all episodes with a 6/10. From this 6/10 I look for points to add to the episodes end rating based on what I feel the episode has done right and I take points away in aspects in which I think they have failed to get things right. In this case I followed this train of thought in the end. 6-1-1-1-1=1. 1+3-1-0.5=2.5 rounded up to 3/10 for the final rating. 6 to start, minus one for not being particularly funny at all, minus one for Lucky Channel recycling the same joke for the fourth time, minus one for inconsistency in animation and minus one for inconsistency in pacing and minus one for inconsistency in character (the ending karaoke). Since we are now at 1/10 we can't go any lower, so I tried to think of a way to at least give the episode some points. In an extremely generous maneuver I gave the episode three extra points for making me chuckle three times, but I also took off one point again since I think they failed to convey the theme of the episode in any way and that it came across as an excuse to score points with fans and I took off 0.5 points for the episode having the gall to again try and push the Comp Fest on me. With this we have a subtotal of 2.5/10 and I rounded up to 3/10 for the final score.

That's about the only way I can put it. I would also hope that people don't treat my like some sort of lunatic for disliking this episode and respect the fact that I felt this episode was an extremely poor showing all around for Lucky Star. I have different tastes and I expect different things out of my shows than others and I would hope people will appreciate that and I won't be persecuted for giving this episode a 3/10. The rating is there to give on the poll and that is what I think it deserves. The slate will of course be wiped clean for episode 6 next week and it will start with a 6/10 and I'll do my usual review and synopsis.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-05-10 at 02:08.
Old 2007-05-10, 02:16   Link #216
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Fine, I'll explain this in a clear and concise manner, but only once.

I start all episodes with a 6/10. From this 6/10 I look for points to add to the episodes end rating based on what I feel the episode has done right and I take points away in aspects in which I think they have failed to get things right. In this case I followed this train of thought in the end. 6-1-1-1-1=1. 1+3-1-0.5=2.5 rounded up to 3/10 for the final rating. 6 to start, minus one for not being particularly funny at all, minus one for Lucky Channel recycling the same joke for the fourth time, minus one for inconsistency in animation and minus one for inconsistency in pacing and minus one for inconsistency in character (the ending karaoke). Since we are now at 1/10 we can't go any lower, so I tried to think of a way to at least give the episode some points. In an extremely generous maneuver I gave the episode three extra points for making me chuckle three times, but I also took off one point again since I think they failed to convey the theme of the episode in any way and that it came across as an excuse to score points with fans and I took off 0.5 points for the episode having the gall to again try and push the Comp Fest on me. With this we have a subtotal of 2.5/10 and I rounded up to 3/10 for the final score.

That's about the only way I can put it. I would also hope that people don't treat my like some sort of lunatic for disliking this episode and respect the fact that I felt this episode was an extremely poor showing all around for Lucky Star. I have different tastes and I expect different things out of my shows than others and I would hope people will appreciate that and I won't be persecuted for giving this episode a 3/10. The rating is there to give on the poll and that is what I think it deserves. The slate will of course be wiped clean for episode 6 next week and it will start with a 6/10 and I'll do my usual review and synopsis.
Whoa, chill, grasshopper!!! I only said that your grammar was unreadable; I wasn't attacking your opinion in any way.

Although I must admit, I'm amused by how thoroughly you systemized your opinion as to number your rating based on a set system; I know, this coming from the one who did the Monster Final Critique of Kanon 2006, but all the numbers I gave were solely based on gut feeling. On the other hand, you work like a machine, dude.
Old 2007-05-10, 02:18   Link #217
Anime Online

With regard to the goldfish scene, isn't there this perception in Japan that if you are a bad person, animals will start avoiding you? I thought that is why Kona-chan said that was proof of Kagami's barbaric nature. If that's the case, it shows why Kagami treasured the one who didn't flee from her.
Old 2007-05-10, 02:33   Link #218
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@anime online: aye.. you hit it on the nail. That was the subtext in that one.

Yeah, I admit it... it is Kagami's fragile eggshell of toughness that dissolves into tears that makes you just want to protect and hug her. And the subtle blushing... the eyes... the way she eats... argh.

Unfortunately, I've not seen the ep yet to rate it...

Just got back from japanese class --- a bunch of adults who hadn't seen much anime got to see selected parts of episode 1 and 2 of Lucky Star. My instructor had asked me to bring in some good samples for listening practice and those two eps had a lot of vocabulary we'd covered in class.

About halfway through the ep 1 food discussion, I heard "o my god, its like real life... it won't stop <laugh>" ... then the laughter started. By the time I got to ep 2 there was general laughter every sketch.

There's the review from 15 adults, 13 of which aren't anime fans. They thought it ranged from grins to hilarious .... the only down note was Lucky Channel which they thought was completely wacky but didn't feel like it fit into the show. They thought the OP was insane but catchy and a number of them had real life flashbacks of karaoke hell during Kona's banshee wails.
Old 2007-05-10, 02:34   Link #219
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Whoa, chill, grasshopper!!! I only said that your grammar was unreadable; I wasn't attacking your opinion in any way.

Although I must admit, I'm amused by how thoroughly you systemized your opinion as to number your rating based on a set system; I know, this coming from the one who did the Monster Final Critique of Kanon 2006, but all the numbers I gave were solely based on gut feeling. On the other hand, you work like a machine, dude.
Wow! Thank you.

Don't worry the message wasn't to you or anybody specifically, but for everybody. I get his feeling I'm going to take a lot of flack for being the outlier of the ratings, but then again maybe not as it doesn't seem to have happened. I really just hope things work out in episode 6 and I can put this episode behind me. If there's any episode that deserves a redo for DVD's though I think its this one.
Old 2007-05-10, 02:53   Link #220
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hey... as long as you can clearly articulate what you like or don't like about something I'm fine. You even provide a guide to your rating technique Its the "anything with L*S printed on it rocks by definition" droolers and the "it suxx0rs & ur all pedos" poo-throwers I rather chase off.... :P

Myself, I have a bit of grade inflation (an episode of any series starts out at 8 and works up or down from there). I still haven't seen the ep but if Lucky Channel is "same again" I may start giving bifurcated ratings: 1 for main content and other for L*C.
I do suspect the episode will be a bit mixed in my review (moments of perfection mixed with moments of meh)