AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-01-17, 21:23   Link #161
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf18 View Post
It makes sense from a historical/cultural standpoint. I imagine the dragon god's bloodline is viewed as important and efforts would be made to ensure it has the widest growth, and if there are 3 maidens handy, all the better.
According to the explanation by the elder in chapter 9, bloodline does not matter for the dragon god's soul reincarnate to a male child given birth by a priestess on the same day he passes away.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 21:33   Link #162
recursion
running out of stack

I start to get worried when I consider the maidens' situation more closely. Where are their parents? Everyone including Karin calls Obaa the same name, so she isn't the parent of any of them. It seems most likely that she, like Rinne, is the sister of a former shrine maiden ("oba" appears to mean "older aunt" in Japanese, I'm sure someone here knows for sure).

So where are all the maidens? We know Shizuku has lived alone from a very young age. Karin lives with Obaa. Soyogi probably lives with that other older lady we've seen a couple of times. Where did the previous maidens go?

It makes me nervous.

But what else do we know? Well, we know that Nagi's mother was a shrine maiden. The most consistent guess would be that he was born off of the island, since if he had been born on the island it would have been immediately obvious that the new dragon god was around. That wouldn't explain Obaa's surprise. So that gives us some hope, because we have a previous shrine maiden who left the island. Perhaps shine maidens must leave the island after their firstborn is older than some particular age (or before), so that that girl can become the new shrine maiden?

On the other hand, we know that Nagi's mom died shortly after childbirth. Perhaps all shine maidens die after giving birth to one child? I had assumed that Rinne was Karin's sister, because Rinne calls her "Nee Nee", but it just occurred to me that she also called Nagi "Nii Nii" from their first meeting. So it is just as likely that Rinne is actually Karin's younger cousin.

Yeah, I'm thinking that all shrine maidens die in childbirth now. Apparently the mangaka has used that before (anyone know?). So I think Nagi is going to hook up with Shizuku just to have her die in childbirth. That would link nicely with the narration at the very start of the series, where Nagi refers to Shizuku as if he is remembering her after she is no longer around.

Well, that's a better option than the islanders killing the two that Nagi doesn't pick.
recursion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 21:41   Link #163
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by recursion View Post
I start to get worried when I consider the maidens' situation more closely. Where are their parents? Everyone including Karin calls Obaa the same name, so she isn't the parent of any of them. It seems most likely that she, like Rinne, is the sister of a former shrine maiden ("oba" appears to mean "older aunt" in Japanese, I'm sure someone here knows for sure).

So where are all the maidens? We know Shizuku has lived alone from a very young age. Karin lives with Obaa. Soyogi probably lives with that other older lady we've seen a couple of times. Where did the previous maidens go?

It makes me nervous.

But what else do we know? Well, we know that Nagi's mother was a shrine maiden. The most consistent guess would be that he was born off of the island, since if he had been born on the island it would have been immediately obvious that the new dragon god was around. That wouldn't explain Obaa's surprise. So that gives us some hope, because we have a previous shrine maiden who left the island. Perhaps shine maidens must leave the island after their firstborn is older than some particular age (or before), so that that girl can become the new shrine maiden?

On the other hand, we know that Nagi's mom died shortly after childbirth. Perhaps all shine maidens die after giving birth to one child? I had assumed that Rinne was Karin's sister, because Rinne calls her "Nee Nee", but it just occurred to me that she also called Nagi "Nii Nii" from their first meeting. So it is just as likely that Rinne is actually Karin's younger cousin.

Yeah, I'm thinking that all shrine maidens die in childbirth now. Apparently the mangaka has used that before (anyone know?). So I think Nagi is going to hook up with Shizuku just to have her die in childbirth. That would link nicely with the narration at the very start of the series, where Nagi refers to Shizuku as if he is remembering her after she is no longer around.

Well, that's a better option than the islanders killing the two that Nagi doesn't pick.
I think your a bit off, I dont remember there being anything about Shrine Maidens have to die, it just was natures cause that his mother died during birth, it happens.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 21:43   Link #164
recursion
running out of stack

Oh, I don't know for sure. I'm guessing. The question I'm trying to answer is: Where are all of their parents?
Old 2009-01-17, 21:48   Link #165
Beo
where's the snow?

I do not think they are going to be killing them. Nagi's mother did not die in child birth, he know her but not very well (C12, p13).

About the relationship thing. Reread C16, p20. Hint that the island does not work like the outside world.
Beo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 21:53   Link #166
Tri-ring

Quote:

It makes me nervous.

No, Oba's name introduced in chapter 3 is Nagumo Yae, Karin's surname is also Nagumo meaning they're related. Oba(formal pronounciation is Onba[御婆]) means grandmother. Aunt is also oba(叔母) but intonation is different.
Calling Nagi NiNi(兄々) is out of affection while calling Karin NeNe(姉々) is literal.

In later chapter it discribes why Shizuku lives alone while Karin lives with her family.
Old 2009-01-17, 21:55   Link #167
Wargumm1i
Hentai

I was wondering, is Nagi´s so called "Dragon God Identity" which i find absured since this isint a fantasy or sci-fi manga or anyhing close to it, just common folktale that some believe in, but i do find Nagi´s statues on the Island as the Dragon God interesting.

But what i want to know, is his so called Dragon God Identity a secret? I mean are people from the Island allowed to know? Well it would be pretty obvious since the Shrine Maidens all gather around one boy and do everything to him.
Old 2009-01-17, 22:00   Link #168
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
I was wondering, is Nagi´s so called "Dragon God Identity" which i find absured since this isint a fantasy or sci-fi manga or anyhing close to it, just common folktale that some believe in, but i do find Nagi´s statues on the Island as the Dragon God interesting.

But what i want to know, is his so called Dragon God Identity a secret? I mean are people from the Island allowed to know? Well it would be pretty obvious since the Shrine Maidens all gather around one boy and do everything to him.
The manga does not go into details but I believe it's one of those taboos that aren't meant to be spoken in public but everyone knows.

=edit=
As for Nagi's status, it the same as Dalai Lama of Tibetian Buddism.
Old 2009-01-17, 22:13   Link #169
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
The manga does not go into details but I believe it's one of those taboos that aren't meant to be spoken in public but everyone knows.

=edit=
As for Nagi's status, it the same as Dalai Lama of Tibetian Buddism.
Well I guess that makes sense but still if you recall during the party on the beach, his classmates were wondering why the sudden change in the 3 Shrine maidens and there connections to Nagi, also wondering who Nagi was I wonder what they will do ones they find out like there teacher.
Old 2009-01-17, 22:19   Link #170
Tri-ring

Quote:
Well I guess that makes sense but still if you recall during the party on the beach, his classmates were wondering why the sudden change in the 3 Shrine maidens and there connections to Nagi, also wondering who Nagi was I wonder what they will do ones they find out like there teacher.
Well if it is a taboo, there will be no announcement that is for sure.
As for people once finding it out, I think people would intentionally ignore it.
Old 2009-01-17, 22:37   Link #171
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Well if it is a taboo, there will be no announcement that is for sure.
As for people once finding it out, I think people would intentionally ignore it.
Well there is also possible that only hand few know and only important people are allowed to know who the Dragon God is, the principal knows he is
Old 2009-01-18, 05:53   Link #172
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

It falls back to something as simple as superstition. Which still pervades the greater part of the worlds population in some form or another. When they say secret I think they mean to outsiders, though considering the knowledge of thier teacher even that isn't absolute. I don't find the premise of a dragon god any more absurd than say the idea of Transubstantiation which millions of people all over the world accept as fact. The culture of that island says there is a dragon god Nagi looks like thier dragon god (being decended from the last one probably helped on that) so those people "believe" in him.
Old 2009-01-18, 06:34   Link #173
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykas View Post
It falls back to something as simple as superstition. Which still pervades the greater part of the worlds population in some form or another. When they say secret I think they mean to outsiders, though considering the knowledge of thier teacher even that isn't absolute. I don't find the premise of a dragon god any more absurd than say the idea of Transubstantiation which millions of people all over the world accept as fact. The culture of that island says there is a dragon god Nagi looks like thier dragon god (being decended from the last one probably helped on that) so those people "believe" in him.
Well i guess you have a point, I for one think that the whole Dragon god thing is just as stupid as Jesus.

Yeah thats right I dont believe in Jesus.
Old 2009-01-18, 08:18   Link #174
Tri-ring

Quote:
Well i guess you have a point, I for one think that the whole Dragon god thing is just as stupid as Jesus.

Yeah thats right I dont believe in Jesus.
That is the whole beauty of this story.
Religion is the final getaway from hardship that cannot be controlled by man.
We often forget this behind our cosy technology protected by knowledge but there are still people like the ones living on Okinoshima where they are not protected by the harsh reality of mother nature where a typhoon can rip away their life and soul.

That is where the whole worship of Priestess of Misaki and worship of the Dragon God comes in.
Humans aren't that strong and needs something to fallback in times of complete hardship.

Last edited by Tri-ring; 2009-01-18 at 08:55.
Old 2009-01-18, 09:47   Link #175
recursion
running out of stack

Thanks for the ideas and information, everyone.

I'm still wondering where on earth their parents are.
Old 2009-01-18, 10:15   Link #176
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas and information, everyone.

I'm still wondering where on earth their parents are.
Maybe they just got bored of the Island and left?
Old 2009-01-18, 10:17   Link #177
Direwolf18

Mmmm thats an interesting way of looking at it Tri-ring, I had not thought of that before. I like it a lot. My respect for the author and the manga just went up a bit.
Direwolf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 13:40   Link #178
recursion
running out of stack

Quote:
Maybe they just got bored of the Island and left?
Leaving their kids behind? Both parents? Of all three maidens? These six people just happened to all get bored enough of the island to leave their kids behind?

No, I think the conspicuous absences of the parents of all three maidens (not to mention Nagi's) are related. It is part of the tradition of the maidens somehow, and there is a reason that none of the maidens have mentioned it. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Nagi's father's convenient absence is also related.

When we find out where the parents are, I suspect we'll be finding out a whole lot more.
Old 2009-01-18, 13:55   Link #179
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Leaving their kids behind? Both parents? Of all three maidens? These six people just happened to all get bored enough of the island to leave their kids behind?

No, I think the conspicuous absences of the parents of all three maidens (not to mention Nagi's) are related. It is part of the tradition of the maidens somehow, and there is a reason that none of the maidens have mentioned it. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Nagi's father's convenient absence is also related.

When we find out where the parents are, I suspect we'll be finding out a whole lot more.
You didint have to take what i said about them being bored and leaving the Island seriously I just guessed, I mean you never know.

The duty of Shrine Maiden was passed onto there kids and they were "Free" and wanted the chance too see outside the Island, its cruel i know but it can happen.
Old 2009-01-18, 14:01   Link #180
recursion
running out of stack

Quote:
You didint have to take what i said about them being bored and leaving the Island seriously I just guessed, I mean you never know.

The duty of Shrine Maiden was passed onto there kids and they were "Free" and wanted the chance too see outside the Island, its cruel i know but it can happen.
For me, that doesn't really explain why nobody has thought to mention it. I mean, it seems like the sort of thing that would come up, unless there was a reason not to talk about it.

I suppose that it is also possible that Nagi's arrival was known, and Obaa and co. arranged to have all the parents (including Nagi's dad) away from the island while the whole thing got sorted out. Then the reason the maidens might not have mentioned anything is that their parents haven't been away for that long, and they expect them to be back soon.

Still, you'd think one of them would explain it.

Tags
ecchi, harem, romance, rural, seinen