AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 307 57.28%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 139 25.93%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 48 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 3.17%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 1.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 1.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.19%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 1.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-01, 08:52   Link #261
kitten320

I have finished episode 4 and so far this anime looks... dumb? Especially with the whole butt eating in episode 4...

Is the whole show like this or it does get better?
Old 2010-06-01, 12:46   Link #262
TyG3R

keep watching until episode 16 , and than you can drop it.
Old 2010-06-01, 13:30   Link #263
kitten320

Does it get worse after eppisode 16?

Because after all the hype I heard for this show, I was expectling something really cool! But somehow it took me ages just to watch those 4 episodes...

Well I heard about tragedy in episode 8, so I guess I'll stick till episode 10 for sure. Then will see... but so far, not impressed one bit... kinda have similar feeling as with Haruhi...
Old 2010-06-01, 17:23   Link #264
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Does it get worse after eppisode 16?

Because after all the hype I heard for this show, I was expectling something really cool! But somehow it took me ages just to watch those 4 episodes...

Well I heard about tragedy in episode 8, so I guess I'll stick till episode 10 for sure. Then will see... but so far, not impressed one bit... kinda have similar feeling as with Haruhi...
The beginning (1-7) is more comical and kiddish than the rest of the series. After episode 8, it really turns epic. I loved the whole thing though. My favorite series by far. Watch it for yourself, though I liked the second half more than the first.
Old 2010-06-05, 16:00   Link #265
kitten320

Well I'm at episode 13, I guess I'll finish off all 27 episodes... but most of the time it seems too unbelievable... so far I give it 7.
Old 2010-06-06, 20:47   Link #266
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Well I'm at episode 13, I guess I'll finish off all 27 episodes... but most of the time it seems too unbelievable... so far I give it 7.
This show was meant to be unbelievable. It IS Gurren Lagann. It defies the laws of physics and that's why it was so damn cool.
Old 2010-06-18, 19:45   Link #267
Cream

Unbelievable?! AN ANIME!? UNBELIEVABLE!? Who would've thought, right?
-
Anyways, I gave it a 9.

I'm not done but I know how great it is and it's only getting better.
Old 2010-06-19, 14:26   Link #268
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Unbelievable?! AN ANIME!? UNBELIEVABLE!? Who would've thought, right?
-
Anyways, I gave it a 9.

I'm not done but I know how great it is and it's only getting better.
Damn right. This show is a way of life. It should be a religion. A kicking ass one.
Old 2010-07-21, 08:51   Link #269
hackled

Quote:
Unbelievable? It's a Super Robot series. Super Robot series are never meant to be realistic in any manner. Sad you don't understand this genre at all

My opinions towards this anime until now, it's still rated as the best anime ever made on 2007. Love the concept and designs. If I'm not mistaken, they're referencing the concept from Totem Poles. More heads = more power = more badass and bigger. Brings the concept of 'gattai' to a whole new level!
Old 2010-07-26, 16:01   Link #270
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackled View Post
Unbelievable? It's a Super Robot series. Super Robot series are never meant to be realistic in any manner. Sad you don't understand this genre at all

My opinions towards this anime until now, it's still rated as the best anime ever made on 2007. Love the concept and designs. If I'm not mistaken, they're referencing the concept from Totem Poles. More heads = more power = more badass and bigger. Brings the concept of 'gattai' to a whole new level!
This show is the definition of epic. In my dictionary, it actually reads, TTGL.
Old 2010-09-28, 20:06   Link #271
legonut3
I BELIEVE IN HERVEY DENT!

I watched most of Gurren Lagaan with my friend (who's seen it through 5 times) and episode 6 was very awkward. Otherwise, it is one of the greatest anime ever created.

Do you stain you hands with evil to destroy evil, or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to the evil? - Code Geass
Old 2010-09-29, 21:39   Link #272
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdarkdark View Post
This show is the definition of epic. In my dictionary, it actually reads, TTGL.
You of course realize that I will quote you on that from now on.
Old 2010-09-30, 18:21   Link #273
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
You of course realize that I will quote you on that from now on.
I sure hope so. This show deserves it.
Old 2010-11-09, 22:28   Link #274
justavisitor

finally finished it...got to be one of the best anime series...glad I have watched it

100/10 (no this is not a typo )
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-11-12, 18:01   Link #275
McMilk
*Artist

HOLY CRAP why didn't I watch this earlier!?! I think it was because back then in '07, I was completely blinded by Geass... anyway, I've never really used the word "epic" before for an anime, but I'll have to use it here -- Gurren Lagann was so damn epic, I have nothing else to say.

10/10! And if Kamina had not died, I'd give it 1000/10... but then again, if he were still alive, TTGL wouldn't be half as good (just wished he had more screen time near the end) :/

「俺を誰と思ってやがる!?」
Old 2010-11-18, 18:40   Link #276
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMilk View Post
HOLY CRAP why didn't I watch this earlier!?! I think it was because back then in '07, I was completely blinded by Geass... anyway, I've never really used the word "epic" before for an anime, but I'll have to use it here -- Gurren Lagann was so damn epic, I have nothing else to say.

10/10! And if Kamina had not died, I'd give it 1000/10... but then again, if he were still alive, TTGL wouldn't be half as good (just wished he had more screen time near the end) :/

「俺を誰と思ってやがる!?」
I'm glad people are still realizing the epicness that is TTGL.
Old 2010-12-23, 07:38   Link #277
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMilk View Post

「俺を誰と思ってやがる!?」
now its time to watch the Movies especially the 2nd Movie its darn EPIC!!!
Old 2010-12-24, 23:02   Link #278
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmox View Post
now its time to watch the Movies especially the 2nd Movie its darn EPIC!!!
Hell yes
Old 2011-02-15, 18:40   Link #279
Nosauz

the more and more I think about this series the more I love it, it's childish in the sense that it's super parody of super robots, but in the end it's beautiful as a parody but also as a stand alone story by itself. It isn't defined by the fact that it's a parody it uses the notion of parody and builds this incredible story, that seems to forever swell. The only thing I would critique with this is that eventually all the "main" characters end up dying chivalrous deaths when in fact some of them should have died in more desperate times, more darkly but then again it's parody format does allow it to push certain themes to the maximum like Kitan accessing the spiral energy. The bitter sweet end continue to pulsate through my mind and I can't help but love this series, from it's music choices to the amazing characters, everything about it is amazing, the subtle hints of Nia's knowledge of the futility of defeating the big bad. It reminds me that something don't have to be happy, although the closure to me is painful because what i define as happiness is not achieved in this series, I still love it's ending, even though it doesn't match my world view, that's the mark of a great movie/piece of art, the ability to make people connect to it even when the people that connect to it might disagree with the ideas presented.

Hope people still want to talk about this series because I have to admit with out TTGL and this weak anime season I don't see why people shouldn't go rewatch this or discover this.
Old 2011-02-16, 19:10   Link #280
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
the more and more I think about this series the more I love it, it's childish in the sense that it's super parody of super robots, but in the end it's beautiful as a parody but also as a stand alone story by itself. It isn't defined by the fact that it's a parody it uses the notion of parody and builds this incredible story, that seems to forever swell. The only thing I would critique with this is that eventually all the "main" characters end up dying chivalrous deaths when in fact some of them should have died in more desperate times, more darkly but then again it's parody format does allow it to push certain themes to the maximum like Kitan accessing the spiral energy. The bitter sweet end continue to pulsate through my mind and I can't help but love this series, from it's music choices to the amazing characters, everything about it is amazing, the subtle hints of Nia's knowledge of the futility of defeating the big bad. It reminds me that something don't have to be happy, although the closure to me is painful because what i define as happiness is not achieved in this series, I still love it's ending, even though it doesn't match my world view, that's the mark of a great movie/piece of art, the ability to make people connect to it even when the people that connect to it might disagree with the ideas presented.

Hope people still want to talk about this series because I have to admit with out TTGL and this weak anime season I don't see why people shouldn't go rewatch this or discover this.
I love how people are still discovering this series because it is one of the best animes I have seen and shouldn't be overlooked. Glad you liked it my friend, now watch the movie(s) Guren-hen(okay with a few extra scenes) and Lagann-hen (The ending is epic as hell).