AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-07-12, 00:38   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 872 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Alright, spoiler time! It actually came out a bit earlier than usual (yesterday), but I forgot to start the thread then, heh. Anyway, credit goes to AP's Redon for the info:

-Chapter title is "Fluffy and gooey" (original raw title being an onomatopoeia for tasty foods). Splash is a color page.

-As a result of the Tamatebako's explosion, Big Mom's castle starts collapsing! In the midst of the ruckus, Capone and co. are able to use this opportunity to escape from BM's clutches. At this point, Capone feels the assassination plan is no longer necessary since BM would likely die from the castle's destruction, but.... Streusen uses his DF ability to protect his crew from the debris!

-Nonetheless, both Luffy and Capone managed to escape, and wish each other luck as they make way to their ships. As for BM, she begins to act strange.... for as it turns out, since she wasn't able to eat the wedding cake, her "illness" starts to kick in once again, and it seems she's about to go on another rampage.....!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2017-07-12 at 09:44.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 00:42   Link #2
Sparda4
Dark Knight

Oh BM's crew is in a LOT of trouble now. Glad that the gang were able to get away. Now onto Reverie and Wano.
Old 2017-07-12, 01:35   Link #3
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Ohohohoho, her syndrome is kicking in again XD

So, i wonder what happened to Germa anyway? Do they escape as well?
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 07:02   Link #4
Hoodspirit

The chapter was pretty weak at continueing from the last chapter.
How did Sanji and Reiju get out of the restraints from Galette?

Some things inside this chapter were not shown as well to make sense out of it.
Why could Germa and and Sanji flee but a flyer like Mont d'Or failed to do so?

Streusen went from failure of a pirate to a formidable foe. Well he had 60 years to train. w

Bege being funny, sad to part with him.
Ceasar finally gone, way to go Nami and remind everyone of what he did.

No separation scene with the Germa? After Judge's helm came off? Feels lackluster to be honest. Is Reiju accepting life now? Still so much Oda needed to show.

Anyone spotted Pudding yet?

Loved the colour spread. (the scarfs! spotted by someone other than me)
Old 2017-07-12, 08:17   Link #5
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

so this is how BM's crew will fall? by her eating them all like she did with her childhood friends way back then?
Old 2017-07-12, 08:35   Link #6
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Most likely goes to three squads. First and second is to pursue Straw Hats and Bege while third force is most likely the squads to contain Big Mom.

Judging by the current situation itself, i bet that they will concentrate their main force to contain Big Mom rather than pursuing Straw Hats and Bege.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 09:16   Link #7
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparda4 View Post
Oh BM's crew is in a LOT of trouble now. Glad that the gang were able to get away. Now onto Reverie and Wano.
Couldn't agree more with that.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 09:48   Link #8
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

please don't eat Pudding... I mean.. I'm okay with Big Mom eating lots of his crews but please be more picky...
like I'm expecting Big Mom to eat Brulee first

seems like we won't see them chasing Strawhat, but they might be put into news for some cannibalizing things.. scary
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 10:04   Link #9
marvelB

I'm glad to see Streusen's getting a bit more focus. Makes sense too, since he was a founding member of the BM pirates. I found it particularly interesting that even Capone found his existence to be something of an anomaly..... maybe Streusen will turn out to be a traitor? I mean, even when we saw him in the flashback, it basically looked like he was just using Linlin, so I don't think it's far-fetched to assume he would still be doing so decades later.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Why could Germa and and Sanji flee but a flyer like Mont d'Or failed to do so?
*Shrug* Maybe he was too distracted to do so? Though on a somewhat related note, I do find it amusing that Morgans apparently couldn't fly despite being a freaking bird man, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
No separation scene with the Germa? After Judge's helm came off? Feels lackluster to be honest. Is Reiju accepting life now? Still so much Oda needed to show.
Well, it's not like Luffy and co. escaped BM's territory yet, so I'd say there's still plenty of time for a farewell scene between them and Germa. Heck, they might even have to team up again since BM's forces already began hunting them down....

BTW, loved the color spread! A Straw-Hat version of Germa is actually a pretty neat idea! I particularly liked Usopp's kung-fu pose in that image, heheh.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 11:24   Link #10
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
so this is how BM's crew will fall? by her eating them all like she did with her childhood friends way back then?
Would be an ironical end for the crew.
However I wonder what happens to BM if she eats a DF-user. We know since recently, that eating the user is like eating the fruit and it was said, that it's not possible to eat more than one fruit. (While we actually never saw someone trying, it was just said, he would explode)
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 11:55   Link #11
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Smoothie vs Big Mom next chapter.

Smoothie was shocked at Big Mom, it was unexpected considering she was just talking to her over her shoulder.

Bege is funny as all hell. *Strawhats went that way -->* lol <3

Where is the Vinsmokes.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 11:56   Link #12
P_Dezz

The fishman pirates are than more likely going to aid them in the escape, nice to see this arc coming to an end in the next 2 to 3 chapters. I really hope Luffy does not get involved in Reverie we've seen too much of him, i hope to see a celestial dragon though, about time they got back in the story.
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 12:02   Link #13
Roxis
Grumpy poster

Wow Straussen was being badass, i suppose this make sense after all. That old dude is Mama first mate technically and he was the one behind establishment of Big mom pirate and had deceived her from truth, wether Mama has realized the truth or not (She should realized already she had eaten Caramel and children at this point)
Old 2017-07-12, 12:19   Link #14
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708
I think its a bit quick to think that Big Mom is gonna eat up her own crew. Her "illness", her rage filled appetite, has never been shown to result in her eating people, just her causing havoc and destruction to anything that gets in her way until she eats what she desires. The problem here is that she desires a wedding cake made with rare ingredients so that means its gonna be hard to give her what she wants... She could go on a very long rampage that her crew will not be able to stop and will also end up making the perfect distraction for the strawhats to make their escape
Old 2017-07-12, 12:28   Link #15
Roxis
Grumpy poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
I think its a bit quick to think that Big Mom is gonna eat up her own crew. Her "illness", her rage filled appetite, has never been shown to result in her eating people, just her causing havoc and destruction to anything that gets in her way until she eats what she desires. The problem here is that she desires a wedding cake made with rare ingredients so that means its gonna be hard to give her what she wants... She could go on a very long rampage that her crew will not be able to stop and will also end up making the perfect distraction for the strawhats to make their escape
I am with you there.
It's too early for BM to fall by such trivial reason, i suppose BM rage will give an impact but will not harm entire crew entirely. Now, i remember There is interview Oda said at 22 july we will see a huge surprise, i can't wait there.
Btw we don't see Pudding anymore, i hope we will see her fate in next chapter.
Old 2017-07-12, 13:17   Link #16
rladls2121

Wait, so the treasure chests that just exloded is buried in mystery to all of these pirates?

Big Mom never got open that chest and never got to find out that she's been had by Luffy.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 17:34   Link #17
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Unless we get a chase in the next chapter, if this is the end of this arc, it feels... like a letdown. On one hand, we do have the Poneglyph and have mostly dealt with Sanj's family. But at the same time... well, the point of Luffy's two-year training was to be able to take on a Yonkou, and we saw that he's at best been able to defeat a Warlord, and even that took tons of out Luffy. I realize that Oda doesn't ever intend to write another series and has plenty left to tell here, but it feels like he's going to have to throw in another time-skip (then again, I HATE time-skips). I guess the way that the Yonkous are going to fall at this rate is by team-ups of the Supernovas, but we're seeing that even that idea is slowly being thrown out the window.

I guess the tl;dr here is that how long is it going to take until Luffy is able to take on Yonkous and overcome what seems to be his greatest hurdle to becoming Pirate King?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 19:28   Link #18
P_Dezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Unless we get a chase in the next chapter, if this is the end of this arc, it feels... like a letdown. On one hand, we do have the Poneglyph and have mostly dealt with Sanj's family. But at the same time... well, the point of Luffy's two-year training was to be able to take on a Yonkou, and we saw that he's at best been able to defeat a Warlord, and even that took tons of out Luffy. I realize that Oda doesn't ever intend to write another series and has plenty left to tell here, but it feels like he's going to have to throw in another time-skip (then again, I HATE time-skips). I guess the way that the Yonkous are going to fall at this rate is by team-ups of the Supernovas, but we're seeing that even that idea is slowly being thrown out the window.

I guess the tl;dr here is that how long is it going to take until Luffy is able to take on Yonkous and overcome what seems to be his greatest hurdle to becoming Pirate King?
The purpose of Luffy's training was not to be able to defeat a Yonko, but to discover haki, and at the most be able to withstand and fight someone of admiral level. If Oda does perhaps intend for Luffy to fight one on one with Kaido and beat him, there will probably have to be a timeskip, maybe one or two fights(in the manner or Alabasta). Keep in mind, the day where Luffy defeats a Yonko by any means, is the day the WORLD will give him the title of Yonko. Why do you think Oda introduced so many pirate crews, and allied them with Luffy in Dressrosa?
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 20:37   Link #19
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
In my own opinion, the reason for the allies is because it's heavily implied that Yonkous command HUGE fleets, and we saw how they all swore loyalty to Luffy (IIRC, I think he said they weren't going to join his crew, but they will come to his aid when needed, so it's like a pseudo-fleet). Also, that raises the question of strength levels, which is a very gray area- although it was set-up so that Yonkous had to be matched by both admirals and Warlords for a balance to exist (and the Yonkous themselves kinda kept each other in check), I would think that a fully-rested admiral on the warpath would be able to take on a Yonkou if needed. I hate Akainu with a passion, but it does seem like he could face any of the Yonkous if he were let loose. And on the subject of Whitebeard beating Akainu, keep in mind that Whitebeard was emotionally charged (and I hope you're familiar with THAT trope), and Akainu was the Big Bad in that particular situation. Anyways, I'm leading this to the fact that Luffy specifically states he went through training to be basically admiral level, which is what I think needs to happen for him to take on the Yonkous. And if he can't do that... well, then his training was either wasted or incomplete, and the latter is certainly a shounen trope as well.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 23:45   Link #20
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dezz View Post
The purpose of Luffy's training was not to be able to defeat a Yonko, but to discover haki, and at the most be able to withstand and fight someone of admiral level. If Oda does perhaps intend for Luffy to fight one on one with Kaido and beat him, there will probably have to be a timeskip, maybe one or two fights(in the manner or Alabasta). Keep in mind, the day where Luffy defeats a Yonko by any means, is the day the WORLD will give him the title of Yonko. Why do you think Oda introduced so many pirate crews, and allied them with Luffy in Dressrosa?
Thing is, that it's about time for Luffy to get a Yonko-like status, if the author plans for him to become pirate king before the story ends. We are way over the halfway point and he has to be able to defeat a Yonko in about the next 80 chapters.
However: I don't think he will be declared Yonko after beating one. I think it will be the start of the downfall of this whole system.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote