AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-12-06, 22:05   Link #1
taelrak

Asymmetrical fangs

Why do some people have a single tooth visible in anime? It's always on a female character, and it's visible on people who are perfectly normal (i.e. not vampire animes). It's usually either a maxillary incisor or canine (hard to tell but seeing how it's very sharp and fang-like, I'd say a canine). I can't recall if it's more common on the right side or the left side. The character isn't always young, and is often quite old - but often has a rather young personality.

E.g.
Rosario the Vampire shows it in her unsealed form (for obvious reasons)...but she never shows both!

but..
Hagino from Canvas,
Hikari from Lamune
etc. also show this.
taelrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 22:30   Link #2
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
It's not always females, although it is more commonly--especially these days. An example of a male character with "fangs" would be Ryouga in Ranma 1/2.

Why? Well, like ahoge or hair antennae, it's interesting visually, but it can also communicate something about the character. Comparing the characters with the fangs, you might notice that many might have a certain aggressiveness (representing a wolflike nature, perhaps) or mischeviousness (representing a foxlike nature, which is quite an interesting Japanese archtype). And if they don't have either of those... the designer probably just thought it looked neat.

There are characters with a single fang, but more often the the reason it shows up on only one side is simply side-effect of the character not being drawn to show off both.

I personally have slight fangs--er, well, fang these days. The tip of one came off without me knowing about it, and the other is worn a bit, so it's not as noticeable. I miss the days when I resembled a vampire, though.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 23:04   Link #3
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Fang is moe! Look at Tsuruya.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 23:32   Link #4
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Sometimes teeth show too much. Watch Bleach, they're teeth almost never open when they talk xD
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 23:40   Link #5
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

Yep it sorta tells something about the character, like what having ahoge does.

Well if having it on an older character means they act younger, but lots of very young characters have it also?

It's probably just for moe since that what it always makes the character become^^
Neaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 23:46   Link #6
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
For all the typing I did, I think you put it much better than I did.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 23:58   Link #7
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Yup, it's a cute trait isn't it? There is a list of moe traits in one of the otaku slang threads, and I think this is one of them. I notice that the fang tends to be on characters who are loud mouths, or otherwise has a playful personality. Some examples that come to mind are Excel from Excel Saga, Tsuruya. I guess, it's similar to ahoge in connotation as well.

Just my observations, since I don't remember any serious character with a fang...
Old 2007-12-07, 02:51   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You'll often see single fangs on mischievous fun loving characters ... their "kitty nature" as it were. I've lost count of characters.... but Misao of Lucky*Star and Tsuruya of SHnY are recent.
Old 2007-12-07, 03:02   Link #9
Khaos

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You'll often see single fangs on mischievous fun loving characters ... their "kitty nature" as it were. I've lost count of characters.... but Misao of Lucky*Star and Tsuruya of SHnY are recent.
Kiyal from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is another recent example: http://www.gurren-lagann.net/chara/kiyal1.html
And it just fits. It's a perfect little but significant moe element. I like it.
Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 03:04   Link #10
Ziv

Don't forget Harunobu Madarame from Genshiken
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 09:46   Link #11
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
Don't forget Harunobu Madarame from Genshiken
Well that may be because he was a snake in a previous life. :P

Fang is moe, and helps identify some of the playful characters. But everyone else already said it better.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-08, 01:48   Link #12
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Firstly its moe also as Vexx Pointed out its done for chracter who are mischevious or turn mischevious . Also it adds to Neko Fanservice
Old 2007-12-08, 01:51   Link #13
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Ya, ya, ya. Very true. If you think about it, this "asymmertrical fangs" of yours mostly only appears in these kind of characters.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote