AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-08-06, 06:25   Link #161
Rikimtasu

Send a message via MSN to Rikimtasu
TOV is unoffical released,and niconico have video about it.

lol?
OP~

Offical Hi-Ougi from the DVD special:

Last edited by Rikimtasu; 2008-08-06 at 06:50.
Rikimtasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 08:22   Link #162
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

I tried the demo for this a little bit and it was alright I think. Couldn't figure out how to do any "Artes" (Is that the ToV term for them now?) though and only fought one battle before I had to go to work.
Old 2008-08-09, 00:23   Link #163
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Press the Start button during battle.
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 16:49   Link #164
Takuto19
Yarrrr

Gonna be a long wait til i get my hands on this game , unless it'll be region free but i dought it, managed to get Tales of the Abyss so having fun with that atm, Tales of Symphonia is pretty expensive over here so need to try and get that too.

Looks great though, can't wait to play it.
Old 2008-08-09, 17:51   Link #165
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Japan version not region free. Doubt NA version will be too.
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 18:53   Link #166
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamidori View Post
Yeah, my hopes aren't too high for that either. They wouldn't want all the nasty Europeans getting the game this year.

Meanwhile I'm impatiently waiting for my copy seen as EMS is being... very un-express this time, and am passing the time playing the demo repeatedly and resisting the urge to watch Nicovideo vids. Coooome ooooon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizzlanza
Couldn't figure out how to do any "Artes" (Is that the ToV term for them now?)
Yeah when Abyss came along they decided they should probably make up some standardised terms. Ratatosk seems to be going with them as well. So they're all called artes, and you have base artes (tokugi) -> arcane artes (ougi) -> mystic artes (hiougi).
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 01:17   Link #167
krisslanza

Found out how to use Artes now It was different
The demo was pretty nice... The boss was rather hard. But I blame that on just not being used to the game and the fact you can't level up or anything

Were there hi-ougis in the demo?
Old 2008-08-10, 02:35   Link #168
kissthestick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamidori View Post
360 games in japan have never been region free
kissthestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 04:58   Link #169
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Found out how to use Artes now It was different
The demo was pretty nice... The boss was rather hard. But I blame that on just not being used to the game and the fact you can't level up or anything

Were there hi-ougis in the demo?
Nope, you can only go up to Overlimit level 2. I was just throwing that in to complete the set. Best you can get at that level is Burst Artes.

Anyway, they said they bumped up the difficulty in the demo because they gave you a bunch of artes/skills that you wouldn't have in the full game. He's not that hard though, I managed to stumble my way through beating him first time even though I hadn't fully grasped how to do everything

Also, posting this randomly because Rita is awesome. First video on this page:
http://www.famitsu.com/blog/jamzy/2008/08/tov_012.html
Old 2008-08-10, 11:11   Link #170
krisslanza

I was just using Yuri. Hard then
Burst Artes? @_@
Old 2008-08-11, 00:16   Link #171
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Okay, I'm gonna need help with understanding all those spell terminology
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 01:38   Link #172
SquareTakesTheCircle
=D

i liked the demo so im definitely going to buy.
SquareTakesTheCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 20:58   Link #173
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
I was just using Yuri. Hard then
Burst Artes? @_@
Use an arcane arte then hold the button down while in overlimit.

Got my copy on monday and have been enjoying it loads since. As the trailers and screenshots would suggest it looks absolutely gorgeous (Zafias and Dangrest are probably my two favourite locations so far) but really I could name anywhere. If you've got a high quality HDTV you're really in for an eyegasm with this one. The gameplay is fantastic - I kind of miss fields of fonons but fatal strikes and the stupidly awesome overlimits minimise the feeling of loss, and getting chains of the latter is so very satisfying. Encounter links and Advantage counters are good additions too, and I've actually died a few times on normal! Admittedly the only reason I died on the second Gigant Monster was because I forgot to stock up on Life Bottles, but still. The characters are great - Yuri is definitely my favourite male protagonist since Ryudo from Grandia 2 god knows how many years ago, Raven is hilarious (though I'll admit he's not quite Jade), Rita is love and everyone else is likeable in their own ways - even Karol, which I didn't expect. The plot is pretty interesting so far, though it feels like it's developing a bit more slowly than Symphonia and Abyss's did. It's supposedly a longer game though, so I'll let it off. Music is probably the only real disappointment - aside from the battle tracks, Dangrest's music and a couple of others it feels very weak and frequently very repetitive. The Tales series really needs a new composer, or at the very least to get rid of Tamura. Sakuraba may be tired, but I don't think Tamura ever had any talent in the first place. The voice acting is fantastic though, especially Yuri and Raven's, and Jaeger's mangled Engrish is brilliant in a bizzare way (Sore wa ME no guchi kara CANNOT SPEAK yo!). I'm looking forward to hearing some of his localised dialogue. White haired guy's was slightly deeper than I expected (Hakuoro in Utawarerumono), but I've kind of got used to it now.

Anyway, definitely recommended so far.
Old 2008-08-15, 02:45   Link #174
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Looks like Vesperia is having a good time there in Japan, Media Create sales numbers have been released and it has been the fastest selling title on 360 in Japan, selling 108k copies in the first week after its release. As a side effect, the 360 also went on SOLD OUT (yes, you heard right) in a couple of stores at Akihabara (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=2391). Media Create hardware numbers indicate that this week the 360 was able to sell 24k units thanks to the bundle of the game. I am really glad the game is doing well over there, and I'm also glad the 360 is getting some positive vibes from it as well. I wonder if it'll be able to keep selling well even in the next weeks, considering that Infinite Undiscovery is basically a month away as the next big JRPG release.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 22:06   Link #175
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Looks like Vesperia is having a good time there in Japan, Media Create sales numbers have been released and it has been the fastest selling title on 360 in Japan, selling 108k copies in the first week after its release. As a side effect, the 360 also went on SOLD OUT (yes, you heard right) in a couple of stores at Akihabara (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=2391). Media Create hardware numbers indicate that this week the 360 was able to sell 24k units thanks to the bundle of the game. I am really glad the game is doing well over there, and I'm also glad the 360 is getting some positive vibes from it as well. I wonder if it'll be able to keep selling well even in the next weeks, considering that Infinite Undiscovery is basically a month away as the next big JRPG release.
Infinite Undiscovery... I'd kinda like to like it, partly because of the real time combat and partly because it'd make the Xbox feel slightly more worth buying after I'm done with Vesperia, but I just can't. I doubt it'll sell all that many copies/units to be honest, though I could be proven wrong. Not like it matters either way, I'll be glad to be done playing games on the Xbox - all this worrying over when it'll break is bad for me.

Anyway, back on topic, looks like I'll be finishing either tomorrow or the day after at the rate I'm going, and then straight into a second play on very hard for all the extras. Playtime about 60 hours so far, though about 4 or 5 of that I've either not actually been playing or have been looking up kanji, and a bit more for skills levelling and trying to reveal more of the map and such.

Also, Rita is god. Seriously, don't underestimate just how much damage she can do in overlimit, especially against single strong enemies like the gigants. Was having trouble against one earlier on that bounces off most physical attacks when not stunned making combos hard, and is stunned by dark attacks. Decided to try level 4 overlimit and going all out with a mix of Violent Pain (best dark spell she's got right now) and Ancient Catastrophe (her mystic arte). Absolute slaughter, 40 grade and 168 hit combos ensued.
Old 2008-08-16, 22:58   Link #176
TrueKnight

Just curious for all of you who have/currently playing JP version of the game. Out of 5 stars what are your scores? And overall, is it comparable with the likes of Abyss or even better?
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 23:15   Link #177
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Just curious for all of you who have/currently playing JP version of the game. Out of 5 stars what are your scores? And overall, is it comparable with the likes of Abyss or even better?
Oh it's definitely comparable. Which you end up liking best out of Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia will probably fall down to personal taste in terms of the themes and characters though - I liked Symphonia for the angels theme and Abyss for the whole apocalyptic feel it had, but I'm slightly more interested in the latter so I ended up preferring Abyss over Symphonia. Vesperia's story takes a bit longer to get going, though when it does it's just as good as Symphonia and Abyss's, and has plenty of twists and turns that I genuinely didn't see coming (and watching my favourite bits in nicovideo playthroughs it looks like a whole lot of others didn't either) to keep you interested. I'll probably decide which of the three I like best after playing it a second time to set everything in order and then letting the dust settle though. The characters are all likeable, as usual, and Yuri is definitely my favourite protagonist of the three. I've played so many RPGs where you play a kid who's childish and completely ignorant of the world and yet inexplicably draws in a number of companions and ends up being nominated as the leader pretty much because he's the main character on the website. Yuri is pretty much the complete opposite, you can understand exactly why people are drawn to him, and it's not because he has any special power or anything like that. They said they were trying to create a more mature protagonist in contrast to the likes of Luke, and they really succeeded. On top of that there are more genuinely funny moments than I can count, and plenty of extras. In terms of combat and graphics Vesperia's definitely the best of the three, of course. The only disappointing aspect is the music - Symphonia still has my favourite soundtrack overall, although that's not exactly a masterpiece either or anything.

If you enjoyed either of Team Symphonia's other games then I'd go out on a limb and say you're guaranteed to enjoy this. Hell I bought my 360 entirely for it (I loved Symphonia and Abyss is one of my favourite games ever) and I don't feel bad about doing so. Well, this and Star Ocean 4.

Oh, and it's probably too late to make any difference, but just for the record if you care about spoilers at all and haven't watched the second Japanese trailer for the game, don't watch it. The level of spoilers in it really is that bad. Tales games are going on my trailer blacklist in future.
Old 2008-08-18, 09:58   Link #178
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra View Post
Oh it's definitely comparable. Which you end up liking best out of Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia will probably fall down to personal taste in terms of the themes and characters though - I liked Symphonia for the angels theme and Abyss for the whole apocalyptic feel it had, but I'm slightly more interested in the latter so I ended up preferring Abyss over Symphonia. Vesperia's story takes a bit longer to get going, though when it does it's just as good as Symphonia and Abyss's, and has plenty of twists and turns that I genuinely didn't see coming (and watching my favourite bits in nicovideo playthroughs it looks like a whole lot of others didn't either) to keep you interested. I'll probably decide which of the three I like best after playing it a second time to set everything in order and then letting the dust settle though. The characters are all likeable, as usual, and Yuri is definitely my favourite protagonist of the three. I've played so many RPGs where you play a kid who's childish and completely ignorant of the world and yet inexplicably draws in a number of companions and ends up being nominated as the leader pretty much because he's the main character on the website. Yuri is pretty much the complete opposite, you can understand exactly why people are drawn to him, and it's not because he has any special power or anything like that. They said they were trying to create a more mature protagonist in contrast to the likes of Luke, and they really succeeded. On top of that there are more genuinely funny moments than I can count, and plenty of extras. In terms of combat and graphics Vesperia's definitely the best of the three, of course. The only disappointing aspect is the music - Symphonia still has my favourite soundtrack overall, although that's not exactly a masterpiece either or anything.

If you enjoyed either of Team Symphonia's other games then I'd go out on a limb and say you're guaranteed to enjoy this. Hell I bought my 360 entirely for it (I loved Symphonia and Abyss is one of my favourite games ever) and I don't feel bad about doing so. Well, this and Star Ocean 4.

Oh, and it's probably too late to make any difference, but just for the record if you care about spoilers at all and haven't watched the second Japanese trailer for the game, don't watch it. The level of spoilers in it really is that bad. Tales games are going on my trailer blacklist in future.
Is there any romance between the main characters(Yuri and Estelle)???
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 18:29   Link #179
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeotoxSlayer View Post
Is there any romance between the main characters(Yuri and Estelle)???
As of the start of the final dungeon, no.
Old 2008-08-18, 19:29   Link #180
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra View Post
As of the start of the final dungeon, no.
Seriously damn, major turn off(for me anyway), I can't believe they didn't put any romance in there.

Oh well I atleast hope the story will be really good then.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rpg