AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-01-12, 16:36   Link #1
eurhteranienains
nothing here

Do you buy your favorite anime when it's licensed to support it?

Hmm, just a random question on how many people here actually own the offical copy of the anime. A lot of people complain about anime being licensed and that they can no longer watch it online or download the manga. Will you:

a) Wait till its released to go snatch it
b) go on to another anime
c) forget about it

Im missing some options so if you wanna add any just say so ^^

Personally for me, once i see an anime and if its superb i'll def. go get it. I don't think i have the guts to go on a whim and buy it right away, i need a sneak peek first ^^ I think the problem with most series not having a second season is because the popularity or sales rate isn't high enough for a second one to initiate. I mean you can't create an anime on a budget can you? There needs to be sufficient money to pay the artists and writers, right right?

Even if an anime is popular enough, I doubt that the directors come on forums, sites such as veoh, crunchyroll, or youtube to read all the comments about how the series deserves a second season. Theres no way they would know how popular a series is because we're all too busy behind our desks complaining. So go support your anime and buy buy buy!

Last edited by eurhteranienains; 2008-01-12 at 16:48.
eurhteranienains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 18:33   Link #2
Gaiarth

If I liked a show I'll buy it's official release. Although it might take me a while. (I only just got the GitS:SAC 2nd Gig boxset in the sales ). In the old days, when everything was released on video, I'd only buy it if it was subbed, but that's not really a problem these days.

If I don't like a show, I'll just erase it and forget about it, assuming I even finished it in the first place.

And I'll whinge to my mates when they don't give an official English release to one of my favourites

Oh, and if a show is licensed before the fansubs are finished, if it's only a few episodes I'll probably still get those. Especially if it's a long show. There's no way I'm waiting a year or more to see the end of a show I'm really enjoying. Although, obviously, I won't be getting them from here
Gaiarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 19:35   Link #3
NominalBeast
Evolved Lurker

If I really like the show (so far it's been rare), I usually wait for the DVD to come out. If I'm a few episodes from finishing when they licenses it, I usually finish it. I'm not much of a popular anime person. Same goes with manga, really.
NominalBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 20:29   Link #4
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

No, I usually don't. I already have a copy of it, and I typically hate the dubbed version anyways. The exceptions are movies (for the special features!) and also dvds with pretty covers....I'm a sucker for covers....

My Anime List

ISML
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 20:44   Link #5
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Send a message via AIM to LionsMane
I usually go out and buy it when it's licensed. I really like having hard copies of things. Plus I think it's good to support especially when you've watched it previously via fansubs.
Old 2008-01-12, 21:04   Link #6
bigbob_75056
Howdy!!!

i buy it...actually now that i think of it i need to buy eureka 7 thats the only lic. one id like to buy the rest arent....but yeah i do like i got trigun bebop evagelion ruroni kenshin and others...
bigbob_75056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 21:10   Link #7
Cyz
"Show it to me"

If I really really like it then yeah, I do buy it. I bought the AIR TV and the movie version and now I'm getting all the Kanon (2006) dub DVDs. Currently waiting for Shuffle! to be released in stores I don't actually hate the dubs that much so it really doesn't matter to me even though I've seen it already. Hey, I wanna see it in the big screen without doing those conversion stuffs just to make it work on a DVD player or such.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 22:15   Link #8
Siegel Clyne

Since I have spent over US$10,000 getting anime DVDs (Region 1, Region 2 NTSC, Region 2 PAL, etc.), anime VHS tapes, manga, drama CDs, character CDs, soundtrack CDs, etc., from Asia (Japan, Hong Kong/China {legit stuff from YesAsia}, etc.), North America (US, Canada) and Europe (UK), I would answer, "Yes."
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 22:26   Link #9
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
It's the right thing to do. If you like a singer well enough, buy his/her album as I did with Suara. If you support a company's products, buy their stuff so they can develop better goods for you in the future. It's the way our economy works. What I'm more curious to hear is how you high school teens and college students without a job even work up the money to pay for the goods you love.
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 03:43   Link #10
Echoes

I do, I do. Whenever I can afford it, that is. I have a rather humble collection thus far, and I definitely download a lot more than I buy, but I chip in whatever I can. I don't want to be a leech, and besides, having a DVD collection to look at is bit more appealing than a HD full of folders. :<

I just bought Solid State Society a few days ago, actually, can't wait to check out the special features. (The cover is lovely, too.)
Old 2008-01-13, 04:03   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.... duh, of course I buy it if I liked the series. That's the whole purpose of subs in my book. You watch the series like the japanese otaku do "on tv".... then when the DVDs are released - if you liked the series you buy it. If you can't afford to buy *everything* you like, at least buy *some* of it.

The DVDs usually fix up snafus, have improved video quality, and sometimes have extra footage or episodes.
Old 2008-01-13, 04:17   Link #12
jedinat

I would probably buy them if I had a nice job...my own place with a nice television. But really, as things are right now there is very little incentive for me to do so. Spend precious dollars on basically display items while having no one to show off to? I watch anime on my computer; I don't even have a dvd drive on my pc right now. I am mostly not comfortable watching anime with other people around; which is what watching anime on DVD (or blueray if they have those) downstairs on the big screen would entail. Why pay money just to inconvenience myself? My support of the industry is limited to the occasional manga; for now, at least.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 05:05   Link #13
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
I think if you like the show enough, you should buy the dvds, even if you're not keeping up with them as they're released. My job's not that great and I don't get a lot of hours, but even considering that and my other expenses, I can usually swing 1-2 dvds a month. Through fansubs I found a great deal of shows that I never knew existed because little like it had been released in the states before. Now some of those shows are surprisingly getting picked up, so I purchase to show my tastes to the companies and hopefully encourage more shows like it. Sure, the dubs may not always be stellar, but that's what the Japanese/Subtitle option is for.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 05:26   Link #14
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I don't buy. I rent it from netflix. I don't buy unless it's a series I'll watch over and over again.
Old 2008-01-13, 06:39   Link #15
3:16
Excellence Of Execution

Send a message via MSN to 3:16
I do it for my really favorite ones.But since I'm living in France,I can't get that much animation on DVD(you know,French translators don't obtain a lot a licenses...).For example,I'd love to have Strawberry Panic on TV screen,but it's not licensed,so i can't...(I know i can get them by import,but...)
3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 07:30   Link #16
EXEs
Hallelujah...

I have-ah no money. But if I did I would definately buy my favourite animes. Makes me feel good that I have a physical copy as well as the digital one.
EXEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 07:36   Link #17
kucigaromeo
Hell Kitty
*Fansubber

In Indonesia, only kids anime are licensed, mostly on VCD and its dubbed. Imports are way too expensive for average Indonesian. So in my case no.

I do buy licensed manga though, sometime even buy original japanese edition, like xxxHOLiC where the translated manga missing some point. I also bought Jūni Kokuki japanese novels, because the anime didn't finish the whole story from novel.

my anidb list: http://anidb.net/u224323
Hidamari Sketch, Arts of Innocence
kucigaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 10:32   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I generally wait for boxed sets to be released. The only series I've recently purchased individual DVDs for was Noein, which was quite reasonably priced. My problem is that many of the shows I've enjoyed most are unlikely ever to be released in R1. So for Bartender, Dennou Coil, and Oh! Edo Rocket, I've bought the Japanese soundtrack albums. Every little bit helps.

Oh, and reading kucigaromeo's post reminded me I bought the first translated volume of Twelve Kingdoms from Tokyopop. I might buy the Seirei no Moribito novels if they get translated as well.
Old 2008-01-13, 11:24   Link #19
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

I would only buy the animes i would watch again, like Haruhi Suzumiya and ones like that the other i watch and may buy other merchandise like artbooks but no dvd's.
ReizoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 11:26   Link #20
Takuto19
Yarrrr

I do, i got Haruhi imported from USA since im in Scotland, also doing the same with Kanon (my favoruit series along with Haruhi).