AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-18, 22:03   Link #1561
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
This really isn't a good example, but here.
The fight at the end of Lucia's route reads pretty much exactly like his typical fight scenes... that said, I was expecting something like it so I wasn't that surprised by it.
No offense, but your negative impression of the fight scenes seems to be mostly be a result of your difficulty with the language...
No, I rather like most of the fight scenes. I read Lucia's fight scene last night in English, there weren't any surprises so that was good, and it was just as cheezy as I remembered it. Going through comments on Visual Arts homepage, I know a lot of Japanese fans loved Lucia's dere side but thought the part afterwards was "torture".

A lot of others in this thread said they don't like the style Tanaka wrote in Akane's route. I don't know if you're a UFC/MMA fan, but a lot of those fights were like reading really really long play-by-plays and the way I remember some of the opponents in the route, it's like some of them sounded like typical dumb brutes, I just couldn't get myself interested in opponents like that. From what I can tell I remember most of the route correctly. But way too many people like Akane which tells me I should have at least found some entertainment in the route. So I'm excited to read it in English and see it from your perspectives rather than my admittedly crappy Japanese (Which is a two-sided sword, of VNs I read in both Japanese and English with fight scenes there's only Fate Stay Night, which I infinitely preferred reading in Japanese. I thought Lucia's fight scene was more bareable since I've read it so many times and now in English I can just scroll through though.).

Spoiler for Akane:

Last edited by Ceral; 2013-02-18 at 22:39. Reason: Akane Spoiler
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 04:14   Link #1562
Kirayuki

I actually loved all the angst/drama/emo part of Lucia's route, otherwise I would mistook it as some high-quality moege

Battle wise I found it to be sufficient enough in her route, Akane's route is more awesome in this regard (though I can see why some people found it to be dragged on at times). I found the battle narration itself is still fine and easy to get into without being overly descriptive, compared to some battle-heavy VNs out there (for example, Dies Irae, Fate Stay/Night)
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 04:47   Link #1563
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well finished Rewrite...

Spoiler for terra:

Forgive me for not explaining myself, but I'm tired and wanted to vent . I'll explain in depth later.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 05:32   Link #1564
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well finished Rewrite...

Spoiler for terra:

Forgive me for not explaining myself, but I'm tired and wanted to vent . I'll explain in depth later.
Spoiler for All routes:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 07:55   Link #1565
Aspirety
Voyager Witch

It's both reassuring and sad to see most people share my problems with Terra.
I don't like disappointing endings like this though, so I've found a way to make peace with it.

Spoiler for Endgame:

I'm just trying to find my half full glass here. The story is as good or bad as you perceive it, but I'd at least like to find peace with it. Rewrite was an amazing story, I can't let my problems with Terra stop myself from loving it. Just trying to find a way of looking at it that enables me to love it properly.

haha, sorry for rambling.
Old 2013-02-19, 10:36   Link #1566
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I feel that thinking like this feels more appropriate
Moon route -> Kotarou story end
Terra route -> World story end
By 'world end' I meant that it's an ending or a solution to each of the world's problem. It doesn't necessarily means it's a story about Kotarou again but more about the world itself. Kotarou just happen to have a big parts in it to give the world a happy ending.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 10:54   Link #1567
Dirty_Harry

I don't understand why Terra isn't fit as a true ending (more than Refrain and After Story, imho). Maybe it's just me. For me Rewrite doesn't have a main heroine, despite the importance of Kagari for the plot. Moon and Terra are all about Kotarou.

I think the problem that many have with Terra Route are "moral" and narrative biases of how a true ending must be. Fortunately Tanaka doesn't follow the easy route.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 11:13   Link #1568
Kirayuki

I agree that Terra is somewhat disappointing (mostly about somehow rushed part in the end, could probably use some more development in some parts), but I thought the conclusion itself is pretty good and didn't rely on deus-ex-machina to solve most if not all of the existing problems.

The true end in Terra is definitely not something that give high emotional satisfaction like Refrain and After Story did to me, but it certainly was something that Romeo had been aiming to do with hints spread in various places. And with that clear goal in mind, I thought it fit pretty well as a True End to the Rewrite's story and in a sense the true Salvation for all of the previous girls.

My greatest problem with Terra is probably Kagari lacking development in Terra, especially in romance department (ignoring the other rushed parts for now).
Old 2013-02-19, 11:43   Link #1569
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
My greatest problem with Terra is probably Kagari lacking development in Terra, especially in romance department (ignoring the other rushed parts for now).
Spoiler for Terra:
Old 2013-02-19, 11:51   Link #1570
Aspirety
Voyager Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
I feel that thinking like this feels more appropriate
Moon route -> Kotarou story end
Terra route -> World story end
By 'world end' I meant that it's an ending or a solution to each of the world's problem. It doesn't necessarily means it's a story about Kotarou again but more about the world itself. Kotarou just happen to have a big parts in it to give the world a happy ending.
That works too. It wasn't a bad ending by any means, just, I guess it betrayed my expectations?
Old 2013-02-19, 11:52   Link #1571
Dirty_Harry

And I don't agree that the Terra in the end is rushed. The plot itself puts a time limit for salvation. Spend more time at the end besides not make sense in the narrative, I don't know what that would be relevant to the story itself. Kagari lacking development is not an issue, as I said before, it's more about Kotarou than Kagari (I don't consider her the main heroine, as many think).

And not having romance in Terra is a blessing.
Old 2013-02-19, 12:18   Link #1572
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post

Spoiler for Terra:
Old 2013-02-19, 12:44   Link #1573
Kirayuki

Quote:
And I don't agree that the Terra in the end is rushed. The plot itself puts a time limit for salvation. Spend more time at the end besides not make sense in the narrative, I don't know what that would be relevant to the story itself.
Even with putting the time limit, I didn't feel any sense of urgency at all. These rushed parts had more to do with how the writing (narration+dialogue) progressed nearing the end. Could probably used a little bit of padding in the writing department, it felt like things are over before you expect it.

For example, as previous poster have posted, the battle with Earth Dragon. It really didn't hinder the plot itself, but really took out some of my enjoyment. It seems like there were some parts that got cut out or something. It would be probably more better if they somehow used similar pace like what Romeo did in Akane's route.

Did not change my good impression regarding the ending, but as a route I would probably prefer Akane or Lucia.
Quote:
Kagari lacking development is not an issue, as I said before, it's more about Kotarou than Kagari (I don't consider her the main heroine, as many think).

Probably not an issue in the whole story itself, but this certainly show how Kagari is somehow used just for plot device. Just because this is more about Kotarou, doesn't mean she should get the shaft in development. Hard to care for a character like that, and this made the conclusion lack an emotional punch. I don't really care whether she is a main heroine or not, but regardless she is the heroine in that route and part of the whole ordeal in how the ending came to.

I could probably get away without any romance at all. but after what the writer did to add a little bit of this....I could only call that as "half-baked".

Last edited by Kirayuki; 2013-02-19 at 13:10.
Old 2013-02-19, 13:36   Link #1574
Aspirety
Voyager Witch

Agreed. I really got into Moon-Kagari, but with Terra-Kagari she felt more like a plot device than anything. There was a point, when she started displaying emotions, that I felt like I was starting to finally appreciate her as a character (that was a really powerful scene). But after that point her persona just sorta... dies, right until the final scene. Their relationship never develops beyond some kind of necessity to save the world, and that feels shallow compared to all the other relationships. It could've been handled better imo, like they were going in one direction then took away her identity before we could get any development.
Old 2013-02-19, 13:45   Link #1575
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Thing is that while I think most people agree that it should have been longer, Romeo wanted to cut Terra down by about half, so...
He refers to Kagari as a "dummy heroine", too. I get the impression that he doesn't consider her to be much of a romantic option, which is... disappointing.
Explains stuff I've heard about her fandisc route though.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 14:00   Link #1576
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Probably not an issue in the whole story itself, but this certainly show how Kagari is somehow used just for plot device. Just because this is more about Kotarou, doesn't mean she should get the shaft in development. Hard to care for a character like that, and this made the conclusion lack an emotional punch. I don't really care whether she is a main heroine or not, but regardless she is the heroine in that route and part of the whole ordeal in how the ending came to.

I could probably get away without any romance at all. but after what the writer did to add a little bit of this....I could only call that as "half-baked".
The interview with the creators says, this is what she is: a plot device. And the ending was not designed to have an emotional impact, but resolve the plot.

Kagari is not the main heroine, she is not even a heroine. So her development is unnecessary, by assumption.
Old 2013-02-19, 14:02   Link #1577
Kirayuki

Quote:
Thing is that while I think most people agree that it should have been longer, Romeo wanted to cut Terra down by about half, so...
He refers to Kagari as a "dummy heroine", too. I get the impression that he doesn't consider her to be much of a romantic option, which is... disappointing.
Explains stuff I've heard about her fandisc route though.
Oh it's not necessarily have to be longer. If the things he wanted to cut was some parts in the beginning and middle, I can live that. As it is now, the differences can be a bit jarring. It's not the overall length of the route that bugged me.

And yes, the fandisk basically confirmed that. If anything, Kagari is more like an "accomplice in a a greater mission".
Quote:
The interview with the creators says, this is what she is: a plot device. And the ending was not designed to have an emotional impact, but resolve the plot.

Kagari is not the main heroine, she is not even a heroine. So her development is unnecessary, by assumption.
But Romeo did add a little bit of things that can be interpreted as romance development, which is why I said "half-baked". Might as well completely remove it, otherwise this can mislead some people.
Old 2013-02-19, 14:18   Link #1578
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
And the ending was not designed to have an emotional impact, but resolve the plot.
I'm sorry, but I just don't like that idea.
Spoiler for Terra:

Part of that is presentation, though. That enormously-spoilerific MAD that was linked a few pages back presents that scene with far more gravity and impact than the game itself does.
Quote:
Oh it's not necessarily have to be longer. If the things he wanted to cut was some parts in the beginning and middle, I can live that. As it is now, the differences can be a bit jarring. It's not the overall length of the route that bugged me.
Well, I kind of felt that a lot of stuff in the beginning and middle could have been expanded upon... Kotarou just narrates about stuff that he does and that happened to him that we could have been shown instead, and a lot of the ideas Terra throws out aren't really well-developed.
And then there's how rushed the buildup to the ending feels... so I really don't see what Romeo could have cut without making the route's problems even more pronounced.
Quote:
But Romeo did add a little bit of things that can be interpreted as romance development.
More like "actually are romance development" than "could be interpreted as", I'd think.
If she was never supposed to be seen as a heroine he should have cut those kind of scenes, yeah, but even then I question why her fandisc route wasn't just fluff content instead of what I'm told is actually is...
Maybe I'll be less upset when I play it, I don't know. It just pisses me off to see one of my favorite characters get this kind of half-baked treatment, as you put it.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 14:22   Link #1579
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
I actually loved all the angst/drama/emo part of Lucia's route, otherwise I would mistook it as some high-quality moege

Battle wise I found it to be sufficient enough in her route, Akane's route is more awesome in this regard (though I can see why some people found it to be dragged on at times). I found the battle narration itself is still fine and easy to get into without being overly descriptive, compared to some battle-heavy VNs out there (for example, Dies Irae, Fate Stay/Night)
Spoiler for Lucia's route:
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 14:32   Link #1580
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:

Well, I kind of felt that a lot of stuff in the beginning and middle could have been expanded upon... Kotarou just narrates about stuff that he does and that happened to him that we could have been shown instead, and a lot of the ideas Terra throws out aren't really well-developed.
And then there's how rushed the buildup to the ending feels... so I really don't see what Romeo could have cut without making the route's problems even more pronounced.
Spoiler for terra:

Tags
bishoujo, hinoue itaru, key, maeda jun, romeo tanaka, ryukishi07, visual novel