AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-11-19, 02:32   Link #7101
chickenchaser

Appreciate the response and you can PM anytime! Also, not quite sure what you mean by this specific exe file. The only exe files I have come across are the two application files: the japanese and english versions, respectively. Can you please elaborate?
chickenchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 05:45   Link #7102

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenchaser View Post
Appreciate the response and you can PM anytime! Also, not quite sure what you mean by this specific exe file. The only exe files I have come across are the two application files: the japanese and english versions, respectively. Can you please elaborate?
If you bought the game from Hobibox, you got a large self-extracting archive. That is the file you need.
Message is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 08:20   Link #7103
Drifloon

Hi, I don't know if this has been reported already, but I found an error in the episode 5 translation:

Also, this less significant error in episode 1:

Also, I registered to say that I really appreciate the amazing amount of work you guys have gone to to translate a huge amount of text with absolutely no benefit to yourselves. I only recently discovered this series and I've had a great time spending the last month playing through the first seven and a half episodes, so thanks a lot for making it possible for us to experience this great story. I eagerly await the rest of Ep8!

Last edited by Drifloon; 2011-11-19 at 08:43.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 10:46   Link #7104
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
When you purchased the game from Hobibox, you should have downloaded a single file called UMINEKO8.exe. This is the file that you put into the installer.

To clarify, Witch Hunt's patch ([WH]_Umineko_EP8_English_v4.0.exe) does not contain the game. It only contains the translation. When you install the patch, it will ask you to input a copy of the game (UMINEKO8.exe). The installer will then extract all the files it needs from the game, and generate a patched version with the English translation. You do not need to run UMINEKO8.exe at all. Just run the patch installer ([WH]_Umineko_EP8_English_v4.0.exe) and select the UMINEKO8.exe when prompted.
Old 2011-11-19, 12:24   Link #7105
chickenchaser

Hmm how strange. There's no single file on my computer named UMINEKO8.exe. I hope your not referring to the うみねこのなく頃に散.exe. If it's actually a file named like that in English, I'll just redownload from hobibox again and see if that file will come up. Of course, this is all slightly urgent because the email said **Notice**

*Make sure you re-download within 7 days from this date.

*After 7 days have passed, the above download link will become inneffective.
Old 2011-11-19, 12:57   Link #7106

If that file doesn't exist on your computer, you either

1) Deleted the file after you extracted it
2) Renamed the file, or downloaded to a different name
3) Didn't download the file from Hobibox at all.

So yeah, just redownload it, and this time, don't run it. Run our installer instead.
Message is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 13:24   Link #7107
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Hmm how strange. There's no single file on my computer named UMINEKO8.exe. I hope your not referring to the うみねこのなく頃に散.exe. If it's actually a file named like that in English, I'll just redownload from hobibox again and see if that file will come up. Of course, this is all slightly urgent because the email said **Notice**

*Make sure you re-download within 7 days from this date.

*After 7 days have passed, the above download link will become inneffective.
うみねこのなく頃に散.exe is the name of the file created after running UMINEKO8.exe. You should never need to use うみねこのなく頃に散.exe.

You may have to re-download the game from Hobibox and make sure you keep UMINEKO8.exe safe. Then, run [WH]_Umineko_EP8_English_v4.0.exe and select UMINEKO8.exe when prompted.

For reference, うみねこのなく頃に散.exe is just the NScripter interpreter. Which is mostly useless since we're using ONScripter-EN.
Old 2011-11-19, 15:11   Link #7108
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Hi, I don't know if this has been reported already, but I found an error in the episode 5 translation:
Are you sure that's a translation error? Kinzo doesn't know his money is being embezzled.
Old 2011-11-19, 17:12   Link #7109
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

For reference, the original line is:

金蔵にも絵羽たちにも、それを悟られるわけにはいかない。

Google Translate:

We also also feather treasure house painting, from knowing that it does not go into.

Not very useful, as ever.

Still, Kinzo is certainly mentioned, so I don't think there's a translation error.
Old 2011-11-19, 17:14   Link #7110
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The first part mentions that either Kinzo (金蔵) and "Eva's group" (絵羽たち) must not learn about it.
Even when Kinzo was still alive, Krauss was already doing his shaddy stuff left and right. This isn't a translation error at all.
Old 2011-11-19, 21:29   Link #7111
kaeruranawa

Whenever I try to extract it, 7-Zip tells me that it Cannot open the file as an archive. Help?
I have the file UMINEKO8.exe from hobibox.
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Last edited by kaeruranawa; 2011-11-19 at 21:30. Reason: more details
kaeruranawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 21:33   Link #7112
Madman6510
Child of Man

There should be no archives that you have to extract. What file are you trying to open? Are you using the download version or the DVD version?

In either case, you should just have to run the patch, and supply the installation source when asked.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 21:40   Link #7113
kaeruranawa

Even when I try to install the patch, 7zip spits out that message. I'm using the downloaded version. Should I uninstall 7zip?
Old 2011-11-19, 21:42   Link #7114
Madman6510
Child of Man

I've had old versions of 7zip cause problems before. Uninstall it, reboot, and try running the patch again.

You don't need to run the file downloaded from Hobibox, only the file downloaded from Witch-Hunt.
Old 2011-11-19, 21:42   Link #7115
Cao Ni Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeruranawa View Post
Even when I try to install the patch, 7zip spits out that message. I'm using the downloaded version. Should I uninstall 7zip?
If its an .exe it shouldn't need to be decompressed, just run it like you would any program. Why would 7zip associate .exe as one of the files it handles?
Cao Ni Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 21:44   Link #7116
Madman6510
Child of Man

Installers often have built in extractors to decompress the files it contains as part of the installation process. 7zip is pretty commonly used for this. Maybe it's using the version installed on the computer, and not the version that comes with the installer, and that's causing issues. Or maybe the installer could be corrupt and have to be redownloaded.

It's worth a shot, I've seen old versions of 7zip cause issues before when extracting files.
Old 2011-11-19, 21:47   Link #7117
kaeruranawa

I installed the latest version, and I'll restart my computer now just for good measure. If I have to redownload the installer I'll have to do that tomorrow... :T
Old 2011-11-19, 21:51   Link #7118
Madman6510
Child of Man

If the newer version doesn't work, try redownloading the patch before redownloading the entire game. It's a lot smaller. Once you rule out 7zip (maybe try uninstalling it completely) and the patch, then redownload the actual game.

Corrupt installers do some pretty funny things :S
Old 2011-11-19, 22:55   Link #7119
chickenchaser

I'm at the point where a window pops up called "7-zip self-extracting archive". What should I do next so I won't screw up.
Old 2011-11-19, 23:01   Link #7120
Madman6510
Child of Man

You should not be running the file you downloaded from Hobibox. Run the patch that you downloaded from Witch-Hunt. It will ask you where you saved the file downloaded from Hobibox, and install using that. If you run the patch in the same directory as the downloaded file, then it will find it automatically and skip that step.

At no time should you be running the file downloaded from Hobibox. Run the patch from Witch-Hunt and it will install the game for you.

Tags
translation