AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-08-28, 09:06   Link #1
sliick

Do you judge an Anime by its opening

i tend to do soo, for example if its an anime with a bad opening i start to watch the first episode with a bitter mouth. If the whole "judge anime by its opening" is true i should like most of Black Studio's work.... WHICH I DO!.

So do you judge an anime by its opening.?
sliick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 10:08   Link #2
cyth
Banned

No, but a good opening is enough for me to continue watching the show. Example, Onegai Twins.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 10:14   Link #3
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
"Never judge a book by it's cover".

I think that is my answer here

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 10:33   Link #4
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Uh no.

Example, Kure-Nai has an OP which is made up of crack but its one of the great series last season.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 10:50   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I like Kure-nai's "Love Jump" myself, but if I had made my decision about Seirei no Moribito based on the OP I would have missed one of the best shows of 2007.

In that case it only about five minutes of watching the first episode itself to know I'd be watching the rest of the series (those rice paddies took my breath away). That approach doesn't always work, though. The first episode of Baccano! put off a lot of people, including me. Luckily I went back and watched it again after reading a lot of positive commentary here. Funi decided to promote its license by showing that episode for free, but I'll be surprised if it brings in a lot of buyers for the show itself.

Though its excellent OP, "Guns & Roses," might help.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-08-29 at 19:33.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 11:23   Link #6
Inbox

Opening is not enough to judge anime but most of my favourite animes have excellent openings.
Inbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 11:49   Link #7
DKboy

My answer is yes , on my opinion if the anime is great that anime should have an awesome opening , the opening of anime may affect some people interest on that anime . Example of good opening is Naruto .
DKboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 12:03   Link #8
wontaek

What I do know is that I seldom liked a series with a bad choice for opening song. But good opening doesn't guarantee that I will like the series, although I tend to give it at least one more episode worth of benefit of doubt compared to series with mediocre opening song.
Old 2008-08-28, 12:05   Link #9
blue skies
noch einmal?

Not usually. A few of my favorite series have openings I don't particularly care for. Some anime I hate have awesome openings. It doesn't really matter.

But it's always nice to have a great series with an equally great opening.
blue skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 12:09   Link #10
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

yes, but in a good way. its not that i dont watch anime's when i see a bad opening, that doesnt affect me. its actually the other way around, good openings inspire me to watch watever anime im watching.

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 12:33   Link #11
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Great Openings:

Spice and Wolf
Ef- Tale of Memories (the opening prelude is amazing)
Cowboy Bebop
Intranetusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 12:35   Link #12
justsomeguy

I would not have watched True Tears if Reflectia had not been an amazingly good song.

I dropped Code Geass first season after the second op began, and did not finish it until R2 started.
Kaidoku Funo is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, completely mismatched with the tone of the show itself, the OP was completely made of recycled scenes flashed by in 3-second-long snippets, and I now believe that Jinn is a talentless group. I still find it hard to believe that Sunrise could actually do worse than Wings of Words.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 12:39   Link #13
neqael
World Destruction Commit.

My impression and judgment usually depend more on the first episode. It's a plus if the opening is good but nothing more, if it's not I simply skip it and move on.
neqael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 12:45   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its more unusual for me to enjoy any OP more than once or twice. At this point I've pretty much memorized where to put the program counter arrow on the media player to bump past the OP on most series. Some of my favorite series have the most painful OPs.

The only OPs that have stayed on my MP3 rotate list are two of the PaniPoniDash OPs and the Petopetosan OP/ED. Once in a while I'll ring up the Tsukuyomi Moon Phase OP just to destroy the minds of my passengers while driving

edit: in the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that on my cellphone I have my wife's ringtone set to a clip of the climactic melodic section of Lucky*Star's OP. That gets more than a few "WTH?" looks
Old 2008-08-28, 12:49   Link #15
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
I usually never watch an op more then the first ep. Except for LS which i watched about ten times more then the first episode. If only the rest of the show was as good as the opening
Old 2008-08-28, 12:50   Link #16
sliick

LOL^
what i meant is that, I'm sort of affected by an opening in a good way.
Rather than a bad way..
Seeing how I'm an optimistic person.=]
sliick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 12:55   Link #17
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its more unusual for me to enjoy any OP more than once or twice. At this point I've pretty much memorized where to put the program counter arrow on the media player to bump past the OP on most series. Some of my favorite series have the most painful OPs.

The only OPs that have stayed on my MP3 rotate list are two of the PaniPoniDash OPs and the Petopetosan OP/ED. Once in a while I'll ring up the Tsukuyomi Moon Phase OP just to destroy the minds of my passengers while driving
I do that sometimes too...well it isn't hard to skip anyway

And you've just reminded me of another lesson from moetan XD
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 13:15   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

hah.... actually my favorite bit of nonsense is to pull up next to the "thumper" cars who annoy everyone and dial up to "11" with either:
1) anime songs (the rock tune from the Negima character CD with Evangeline, Chach, and Sayo, TMP's OP, or the PPD tunes are good)
2) Raymond Scott music (Powerhouse or some other tunes that are instantly identifiable to anyone who's listened to old Loonytoons)
3) German Polka
Old 2008-08-28, 13:34   Link #19
GreatTeacherKen

Since I usually finish anime that I start, no.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 16:25   Link #20
Nemu

I don't judge an anime by it's opening, although all the openings of my favorite animes I like.

Signature by ganbaru
Nemu is offline   Reply With Quote