AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Girls slapping guys: Is it ok ?
No, violence is wrong from both sexes 89 41.01%
I think its kinda cute, and haught 101 46.54%
Its only kool when comming FROM guys 27 12.44%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-09-25, 20:49   Link #1
Abashi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Girls slapping guys

Usually in anime, if a girl slaps a guy, she generally gets away with it, not only that but is a likable character. During ep 3 of Moonphase, Hazuki slapped Kouhei across the face after he said something very offensive to her and about her family. His grandfather told him to stop, but he kept on ranting, then SLAP! It was quite a shocking scene, and quite cute, but I didn't know who did that at first. Afterwards she ran away and he came and rescued her. Great example of Chivalry. I'm wondering, do any of you think its sort of cute or haught for a girl to slap a guy or another girl in anime?

What other anime series can you think of that has a girl slap a guy or another girl? The ones I know of are: Kashimashi, Mai Otome, Ergo Proxy, Higurashi, Noein, and some of the shows on tv. There are many others, but those are the ones I have seen so far.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.

Last edited by Abashi; 2008-09-25 at 22:43.
Abashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 20:56   Link #2
tetsuo
In Classic Form
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles and nowhere
I think its kinda cute. Cause usually its one of those "why can't you just let me love you" slaps. >.> atleast thats the way that I see it most of the times.
tetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 21:15   Link #3
Abashi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo View Post
I think its kinda cute. Cause usually its one of those "why can't you just let me love you" slaps. >.> atleast thats the way that I see it most of the times.
I've seen them mostly as responses for offensive statements. I've always thought it was really kool for a chick to do that, and its not really dirty or violence either, but rather more socially humiliating.

I hate it when guys do it, its much more ominous, and its geared more towards fear and control; while from women its geared towards humiliation.

Well, dats how I feel.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Abashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 21:19   Link #4
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
I personally don't like violence, however small, on either side.

Then again, my ship of choice is the childhood friend, where mutual understanding is among the things that particular coupling usually represesnts.

In other words, make love, not war.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 21:52   Link #5
Strahan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I don't like double standards, so no, I don't think it's cute. I think Maddox summed it up best in one of his postings:

"11. React so cutely when you hit him and it actually hurts.
See, this is what pisses me off about women: they expect special treatment at their discretion. They want equal rights, equal pay, and equal treatment for everything EXCEPT when it comes to shit like this, then they want you to "react cutely" instead of, say, putting them in a head lock and making them eat ants and/or spiders while you give them carpet burn. Why don't women react "cutely" when men hit them for a change? Oops, I forgot, that's domestic abuse. "
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 22:06   Link #6
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 502
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Violence is fun, but slapping's for sissies!

That's why I like to watch titles like Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed to see the female leads do more than just slap a bitch up!

norly, slapping's not cute; It's only cute if you look like the cover to Pantera's "Vulgar Display of Power"...
__________________
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 22:11   Link #7
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: your basement
I remember there was another thread on this, but I'll post something from there anyways:

Try imagining the gender-swapped version of Love Hina. A young girl becomes the new manager of a male only dorm, but only to be beaten up every now and then.
Cute? I don't think so.
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 22:22   Link #8
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 502
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post
Try imagining the gender-swapped version of Love Hina. A young girl becomes the new manager of a male only dorm, but only to be beaten up every now and then.
Why imagine that when I could see it enforced in a hijacked theocracy like Iran?

Slapping someone and beating someone to death are two different things, though...
__________________
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 22:41   Link #9
Abashi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post
I remember there was another thread on this, but I'll post something from there anyways:

Try imagining the gender-swapped version of Love Hina. A young girl becomes the new manager of a male only dorm, but only to be beaten up every now and then.
Cute? I don't think so.
The sexes aren't equal. I havn't seen Love Hina, but I'm sure it is cute. Whatever the girls do to him, its probably not very graphical, and very fake looking violence. I've always liked girls slapping or touching in anyway, whether it be against males or females. People hate me for it, but the same folk that do think its kool for men to do it.

Spoiler for To Strahan::


Oh I forgot to mention some anime I just remembered ...
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.

Last edited by Abashi; 2008-09-25 at 22:57.
Abashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 22:46   Link #10
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 502
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
So all feminists are as pure as the wind-driven snow and all men are nothing more than sexist predators...OK...
__________________
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 23:11   Link #11
Abashi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
I have seen a topic about guys slapping girls in anime, and people were discussing all the scenes where it has happened. I have done a gender swap to discuss scenes in which girls do it, but most of you seem too uptight to talk about it. Why is it ok to talk about guys slapping girls, but not vice versa?

Spoiler for MidnightViper::
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Abashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 23:25   Link #12
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
It's cute if it's not to be overdone like nosebleeding.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 23:35   Link #13
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 502
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Abashi - I don't even get where you're going with your tangents...

In your response to Strahan, you claim a double-standard over the treatment of women that ironically implies that feminists should be able to get away with things that would normally otherwise be considered taboo if executed by men...Nobody's saying here that men get away with treating women like they're nothing more than punching bags...As a matter of fact, social norms almost have a sort of reverse discrimination to bolster women, much akin to racial minorities, that allow women to do things that men used to do and allow it to be justified; Like self-defense, where if a man takes up self-defense against a woman, they're labeled by society as a beater because men are supposed to be stronger than women...Guess what? Not all women in the feminist movement are pure as the wind-driven snow and not all men are sexist predators, the latter of being a stereotype enforced by a small group of feminazis that aren't contributing anything helpful to women in society and take their frustration on the male gender far beyond the level of logic...You said to me that all men had to hate feminists, HAD TO, when there is nothing in normal logic that supports that, and there's nothing in my post that even implies that; You're throwing the words out, not anyone else...

Use logic in a social context for once; Equality does not include unfair treatment biased towards one side or another because even reverse discrimination is still discrimination...There is no excuse for either men or women to beat up on each other senselessly, since in the end both men and women are humans, so don't use sexual antagonism to try to throw a "one-sided argument" clause when both sides have equal faults...
__________________
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 23:50   Link #14
Abashi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Quote:
It's cute if it's not to be overdone like nosebleeding.
I agree. I think a slap on the cheek from a girl is kinda cute and haught, but to smash a guy's face with a weapon is going too far, and thus shouldn't be applied to as trivial. I have seen a lot of trivialization when it comes to violence from women in anime, but most of the time its pretty cute.

Going back to Moonphase: Hazuki slapped Kouhei across the face after he said something very offensive to her, and he let her get away with it. Though, even though he lets her off on double standards, he does defend himself. In the next episode, she tries to suck his blood, he shoves her off with his blanket, and she's on the other side of the room (she must be a real light weight).

I believe in double standards when it comes to certain forms of violence (such as slapping or pinching) that would be very different based on who did it. Other more extreme forms of violence, I don't take the same stance on.

Quote:
Abashi - I don't even get where you're going with your tangents...

In your response to Strahan, you claim a double-standard over the treatment of women that ironically implies that feminists should be able to get away with things that would normally otherwise be considered taboo if executed by men...Nobody's saying here that men get away with treating women like they're nothing more than punching bags...As a matter of fact, social norms almost have a sort of reverse discrimination to bolster women, much akin to racial minorities, that allow women to do things that men used to do and allow it to be justified; Like self-defense, where if a man takes up self-defense against a woman, they're labeled by society as a beater because men are supposed to be stronger than women...Guess what? Not all women in the feminist movement are pure as the wind-driven snow and not all men are sexist predators, the latter of being a stereotype enforced by a small group of feminazis that aren't contributing anything helpful to women in society and take their frustration on the male gender far beyond the level of logic...You said to me that all men had to hate feminists, HAD TO, when there is nothing in normal logic that supports that, and there's nothing in my post that even implies that; You're throwing the words out, not anyone else...

Use logic in a social context for once; Equality does not include unfair treatment biased towards one side or another because even reverse discrimination is still discrimination...There is no excuse for either men or women to beat up on each other senselessly, since in the end both men and women are humans, so don't use sexual antagonism to try to throw a "one-sided argument" clause when both sides have equal faults...
My reaction is based on my experience with people ranting on this gender stuff. Generally from what I have seen over the Internet, as well as experienced with people in person; is that the people who complain about double standards biased against men often make the reverse double standards, while justifying it by citing double standards made by feminists. Second, this one point of view is the only espoused point of view, other views aren't even allowed to exist, yet they accuse radical feminists of censoring them when misogynists actually scream their views all over the place and never shut up about it. Also, think Godwin's law, comparing them to Nazis shows the stupidity of those who are arguing against feminism. If you want to sound more fair, try to stop using terms such as 'feminazi' that imply hatred and narrow-mindedness?

I understand what your trying to say, overall. No offense, I hope.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Abashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 00:17   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 60
Hasn't this poll been done already (and it turned into a flame fest as well)

Slapstick comedy is called that for a reason....
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 00:18   Link #16
Xhokhusmak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
I have no idea how you guys think being slapped is supposed to be a cute thing. You ever been slapped by a girl in real life? It sucks. And seriously OP, you need more options for the poll, because the real reason that girls slap guys is not there (when you're getting out of hand... in their eyes, not yours).
Xhokhusmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 00:38   Link #17
Abashi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhokhusmak View Post
I have no idea how you guys think being slapped is supposed to be a cute thing. You ever been slapped by a girl in real life? It sucks. And seriously OP, you need more options for the poll, because the real reason that girls slap guys is not there (when you're getting out of hand... in their eyes, not yours).
What do you mean?
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Abashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 00:45   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 60
Apparently some people are having trouble distinguishing between what is okay in fictionalized anime (ala slapstick or melodrama) and real life....
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 00:49   Link #19
Cherudim Arche
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Playful girl slap to guy, anything else to me is overkill.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 00:58   Link #20
Xhokhusmak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Apparently some people are having trouble distinguishing between what is okay in fictionalized anime (ala slapstick or melodrama) and real life....
The scene in Moonphase that the OP talks about, is supposed to be a serious scene. That is what I'm explaining. It's not that I like moonphase, I don't, but if the anime wants to display an act of drama, at least try understand it that way.

But you know what? That series wasn't that good so I guess I can understand why you're misunderstanding it. Poor execution and follow up.
Xhokhusmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.