AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-13, 07:57   Link #1
JohnnyRico

3D CGI style anime

Hi everyone, I'm looking for suggestions fof anime that has a mixture of 2D and 3D animation. I've seen Blue Submarine No.6 and really liked the style. I've also seen the South Korean anime 'Wonderful Days' that is a mixture of 2D and 3D and it is simply breathtaking.
I would appreciate any suggestions of similar anime. Thanks
Old 2004-02-13, 09:09   Link #2
wao
OK.

Damn, the first thing I thought of when reading your topic title was "Wonderful Days". x_X; Looks like you've already watched it, yay!

Hm, what next comes to mind... Earth Girl Arjuna? It's got a LOT of nice CG and 3D scenes. Of course, no studio is perfect (not even Ghibli) so there are some rather awkward 3D scenes (particularly 3d rendering of Raaja) and some parts that look too overloaded with the effects, but some parts are just really pleasing to watch. Avoid this like the plague if you hate environmental anime, though. That's one downfall (that some people view as very major) of this anime, that the environmental messages were way too loud and thus obnoxious. Personally I didn't mind them at all.

Spirited Away and The Cat Returns (aka Neko no Ongaeshi) are two films by Studio Ghibli that have some really really good 2D and 3D animation, however, it isn't as obvious and loud as other 2D/3D features. Spirited Away, you should have watched, it's very famous and easily available. Neko no Ongaeshi is a much smaller and very simple, cute film...

Uh... yeah...
Old 2004-02-13, 09:24   Link #3
u&t

Platonic chain might be something for you.

A more general answer to you question would rater be "any anime released the last year". A more intersting question would actually be "give me a newly released non cg show".

Cg is getting really good and in many cases impossible to tell from hand drawn animation. Give us info on the genres you're interested in.
Old 2004-02-13, 11:24   Link #4
JohnnyRico

Thanks for the suggestions guys. U&T, there's not a particular genre I'm interested in, just the 'quality' Wonderful Days is a perfect example of what I mean. Great story and stunning graphics. If it gives you a clue as to the sort of thing I like, I also love Ghost in the Shell for its high quality style.
Old 2004-02-13, 12:34   Link #5
u&t

Area 88 relies heavily on cg and does it well
Same with Last Exile. Licensed though.

Maybe you should watch Naruto. It's interesting because you can see how they gradually integrate more and more cg into the show. It's quite noticeable that they are learning while doing in that show... (i.e. sometimes they suck)

Yumeria has impressed me lately in that area. The cg in Yumeria is very low key and you really don't nitice it though...
Old 2004-02-13, 12:41   Link #6
JohnnyRico

Thanks, I'll look out for those. A friend of mine has episodes 1-69 of Naruto so I'll get a couple from him for review.
Old 2004-02-14, 16:42   Link #7
Go-lytely

Dont forget Hoshi no Koe (voices of a distant star), its all made by a dude on his mac.
Old 2004-02-14, 17:15   Link #8
Tritium
doaho...

OMG no one said initial D yet. Long races with 3d CG'ed cars
Closed Thread