AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-05-02, 02:07   Link #241
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Well, color me surprised. I'm not a fan of sports anime in general nor have I heard of Adachi prior to this season, but through Sorrow-k's post, I got drawn into it and the charming characters basically nabbed me hook, line, and sinker. The presentation's been great and the background music with all those guitars has been most excellent, though it's obviously the story that's going to carry the day and I'm looking forwards to see how Aoba will warm up to Kou.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 05:51   Link #242
jpwong

Well, I found one of the 15 second promo videos for Cross Game, and they sort of promote it as a "love story" anime rather than sports anime which isn't wrong. Baseball is just the delivery method to get to the objective.
Old 2009-05-02, 08:37   Link #243
Bambi

From my point of view Cross Game is much more slice-of-life than sports anime/manga (let say sports related slice-of-life ) and choosen presentation, like bright colors, and pace fit it nicely.

Ep4 comment: Another almost faitful manga adaptation, with only few flaws:
- Senda is common target of author's jokes in manga, but his throw after Koh (when he took cake from him) was way too pathetic. He is "ace" (self-proclaimed ) pitcher for middle school team, but that throw will hardly reach a plate on playground.
- They bit overdone Aoba's breathing when she was running back to house with thief. She is (very) good athlete and runner, but she was breathing like after marathon from the start.
Old 2009-05-03, 02:52   Link #244
nihon
夢見たい
*Fansubber

Well, just watched episode 5. It covers the last chapter in the second volume of manga (for anyone interested in where the story is). I really liked it. It moves the the story along by about 3 months by the end of the episode, too, so I think we're just about to get into some good hard baseball action.
nihon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 04:08   Link #245
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
- They bit overdone Aoba's breathing when she was running back to house with thief. She is (very) good athlete and runner, but she was breathing like after marathon from the start.
I take you are not a runner? kidding... Actually, it doesn't matter how good of a shape you are. If you are running fast, which Aoba was doing, your lungs will demand more air. Hence, the heavy breathing.

Will watch episode 5 once I get home.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 04:08   Link #246
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Waiting in excitement for episode 5 for:

Spoiler for manga spoiler:

Believe it or not, I ran through, 15 books of Touch, 10 of Rough, 12 of cross game, and slow step, in the past 2 weeks. I love my bookstore.
Patiently waiting for the 34(!) books of H2, should arrive anytime next week.

What's crap is that I can't find Short Program anywhere, -> in despair.
God I love Adachi.

velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 10:00   Link #247
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So episode 4 got me teary-eyed, first time since the start of this season's lineup. Anyway, do they really have to show Wakaba during the intro? Pretty much the reason why I skip Clannad After Story's intro after episode 16...
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 10:31   Link #248
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post

I forgot how touching that moment was,
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 12:44   Link #249
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

I'm a bit surprised at how much they extended the New Year's Day sequence over the manga version, although they did a very nice job of it. I wonder if this means they're stretching to fill 3-4 cours of episodes, or if they're stretching the non-baseball scenes because they're not going to have Major-style baseball games that go for 3-4 episodes.
Old 2009-05-03, 13:43   Link #250
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
So episode 4 got me teary-eyed, first time since the start of this season's lineup. Anyway, do they really have to show Wakaba during the intro? Pretty much the reason why I skip Clannad After Story's intro after episode 16...
There will be many Wakaba related flashbacks, they are touching but not sad. Wakaba's spirit is still alive for main characters (Kou, Aoba and Akaishi) and it's major power which drag them forward (sometime sideway or backward ), so her presence in opening is right imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86 View Post
I'm a bit surprised at how much they extended the New Year's Day sequence over the manga version, although they did a very nice job of it. I wonder if this means they're stretching to fill 3-4 cours of episodes, or if they're stretching the non-baseball scenes because they're not going to have Major-style baseball games that go for 3-4 episodes.
I'm surprised too, that was nice addition but now i'm even more curious how they will manage this anime. I have no idea how much episodes they plan, but with current course (almost nothing was skipped till now) they have no chance to fit current manga content to 26 episodes, without major cuts. Maybe it'll be longer or they will split it to seasons like Major untill manga will provide enough new contents (some peoples predict manga will end soon, but imho there are still too much uncovered materials so i hope it'll add at leats 2-3 more volumes).
Old 2009-05-03, 18:17   Link #251
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
There will be many Wakaba related flashbacks, they are touching but not sad. Wakaba's spirit is still alive for main characters (Kou, Aoba and Akaishi) and it's major power which drag them forward (sometime sideway or backward ), so her presence in opening is right imho.

I'm surprised too, that was nice addition but now i'm even more curious how they will manage this anime. I have no idea how much episodes they plan, but with current course (almost nothing was skipped till now) they have no chance to fit current manga content to 26 episodes, without major cuts. Maybe it'll be longer or they will split it to seasons like Major untill manga will provide enough new contents (some peoples predict manga will end soon, but imho there are still too much uncovered materials so i hope it'll add at leats 2-3 more volumes).
they can cut a lot of the basball stuff. in reality the good stuff is the stuff outside of baseball.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 19:02   Link #252
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

I bet they'll bring Wakaba out every episode, just to keep jerking your heart strings. :P It's a bit cheap, but it works.

I doubt they'll cut any baseball stuff either. Sport/tournament types provide continuous satisfaction through the hardships and victories (mainly victories) of the protagonist, and that's always good for the viewership.

This series that seem like it will last a long long time, albeit addicting all along the way.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 22:14   Link #253
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Is it me or is there a sudden explosion of fansubbing groups subbing this? When the series started I was really only follwing Central Anime, now there's like 5 different groups subbing it. Suddenly popularity spike?

Anyway I just found an episode 5 sub, gonna post later if it's a good sub.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 02:50   Link #254
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Saw episode 5 last night. This episode was great! Koh score some points when he grabbed Aoba by the collar. Hah! You'd think she will be a bit more sensitive about wishing death on anyone... especially on any of her sisters.

These people in charge of the anime is doing a great job with the adaptation thus far. Usually these sort of shows looses a lot of nuances in the translation, and often fails to resonate with both type of audience, manga/novel readers and first-time anime viewer. And that seems not to be the case by judging from the posters' take in the thread. The music and the apparent laid back pacing makes the show such a delight to watch. I instantly relax whenever watching an episode of Cross Game, so it wins big points from me.

Anyway, the coach was happy for once, wasn't he? He said it's been a while when he saw some earnest practice. I guess this geezer will shine under the limelight and show his brilliance once he gets to work with these new talents that are coming to the picture. I wonder if Koh will throw any pitches to the new batter who shattered Koh's record in the batting center. Don't answer.

And was that a curve-ball Koh just threw? Adachi's grasp at baseball makes me lol, but fortunately for me, it hasn't put a dent on my enthusiasm about this show for various other qualities.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 12:30   Link #255
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Saw episode 5 last night. This episode was great! Koh score some points when he grabbed Aoba by the collar. Hah! You'd think she will be a bit more sensitive about wishing death on anyone... especially on any of her sisters.
Glad they put this on the anime. I was really sad when Aoba said that, and God how I admire Kou when he snapped her to reality.
Spoiler for cause I'm not sure~:

This wait is killing me~

I want to quote your 3rd paragraph but its just screaming don't answer so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
These people in charge of the anime is doing a great job with the adaptation thus far. Usually these sort of shows looses a lot of nuances in the translation, and often fails to resonate with both type of audience, manga/novel readers and first-time anime viewer. And that seems not to be the case by judging from the posters' take in the thread. The music and the apparent laid back pacing makes the show such a delight to watch. I instantly relax whenever watching an episode of Cross Game, so it wins big points from me.
Seconded in total agreement. Though I may be considered a first time viewer too.

velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 13:44   Link #256
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ep5 and this show just keeps rolling. I can't say I approved of his grabbing Aoba. But I can suspend my disbelief/disapproval and go with the flow: the plot moves, the characters' attitudes move, the pacing is not there to drag things out but to move them at a nice pace. All this and baseball, too?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 14:10   Link #257
Athanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post

Believe it or not, I ran through, 15 books of Touch, 10 of Rough, 12 of cross game, and slow step, in the past 2 weeks. I love my bookstore.
Patiently waiting for the 34(!) books of H2, should arrive anytime next week.

What's crap is that I can't find Short Program anywhere, -> in despair.
God I love Adachi.
You can find part of Short Program 3 (which is unlicensed) on Mangadownload website or irc channel ^^ but SP1&2 are licensed so we can't do them :/ even tho we're dying to do them ^^
Athanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 18:03   Link #258
SagaraSouske

I am glad they manage to squeeze in the Momiji segment as a dream sequence. IMO that was a really important part of the Manga that showed Koh's character and why Wakaba really loved him.
SagaraSouske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 19:00   Link #259
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Ep5 and this show just keeps rolling. I can't say I approved of his grabbing Aoba. But I can suspend my disbelief/disapproval and go with the flow
The very fact that Kou ended up grabbing Aoba is because what she said touched a raw nerve with him - it's one of the very few times you can see that he gets seriously angry. Aoba voiced out an uncalled for bitchy tantrum. Kou's reaction fits how insensitive Aoba's tantrum was and gave a wake-up call to her about what she said. Aoba wouldn't have apologised to Momiji short thereafter if not for that. Kou cares for the Tsukishima sisters like he's a part of the family - watch the interaction between Momiji and Kou and you can see a little sister, big brother kind of relationship.

In addition, that glow on Kou's face when he paid his respects at the Tsukishima home shrine to Wakaba shows how much she is still in his heart.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 19:51   Link #260
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Aoba is treading a very thin line with being flat-out unlikeable at this point, though I trust she will mellow as the series progresses. She's the one part of the show I haven't warmed up to yet.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports