AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-13, 12:06   Link #621
LoweGear
Great Commandy One
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
More information on the Follower's system:

PC IGN - Diablo 3: Virtual Friends with Benefits

So unlike the run-of-the-mill mercs in D2, these Followers will be their own characters with dialogue and interactions. Interesting, I always was fond of my mercs in D2 even when they didn't speak XD
__________________

On Flying: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 12:36   Link #622
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 34
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
More information on the Follower's system:

PC IGN - Diablo 3: Virtual Friends with Benefits

So unlike the run-of-the-mill mercs in D2, these Followers will be their own characters with dialogue and interactions. Interesting, I always was fond of my mercs in D2 even when they didn't speak XD
People wrote fanfiction about the Mercs in D2. Me myself had a soft spot for the Fire Rogues.

Natch.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 12:39   Link #623
LoweGear
Great Commandy One
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Fire rogues doing what they do best: hot, sweaty, kinky three-way..... practice.

What?
__________________

On Flying: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 12:39   Link #624
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
More information on the Follower's system:

PC IGN - Diablo 3: Virtual Friends with Benefits

So unlike the run-of-the-mill mercs in D2, these Followers will be their own characters with dialogue and interactions. Interesting, I always was fond of my mercs in D2 even when they didn't speak XD
Can we date our own Mercs? Will they complain if we use them to bait a horde to AOE on?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 12:58   Link #625
LoweGear
Great Commandy One
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Can we date our own Mercs? Will they complain if we use them to bait a horde to AOE on?
1. Doujins exist for that glorious purpose
2. Only if we... compensate for the pain they recieved through- *static*



As an aside, the above video actually shows us the male Demon Hunter and Wizard in action, plus a female Barbarian. Didn't notice the first time round
__________________

On Flying: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 13:10   Link #626
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 34
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Can we date our own Mercs? Will they complain if we use them to bait a horde to AOE on?
If Bioware made D3, we would be able to have bisexual romances with our followers. Since this is Blizzard though... we'll just have to settle with loads and loads of UST.

Narf.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 13:16   Link #627
Kurumix
Lord of Cute Things
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the land of which pie falls from the sky, and lakes flow chocolate
Send a message via MSN to Kurumix
yay Diablo 3

it seems that they fix pretty much every problem with diablo 2 in this one =3

also reguardless of the 3 prime evils dieing
they still did accomplish their goal in the end

and diablo usually reincarnates anyway =3
also keep in mind that the prime evils arent even using their real bodies
they are basically possessing really strong humans and using them as hosts
but diablo, mephisto, and baal have to yet to fully revive themselves in any of the games =3

and the strongest of the lesser evils, Belial and Azmodan, are still on the lose
these are the 2 who originally killed alll 3 prime evils, so them being in a game would be awesome =3

and this is my breakdown on why diablo 3 is gonna be awesome xD
__________________
Be My Buddy =3
Kurumix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 14:06   Link #628
Chaos2Frozen
Pillager of Twilight
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rivers In the Desert
Age: 29
Wow, it felt like forever since I last heard of a Diablo news Actually just last week, I had even completely forgotten they already revealed the last class

Just one question; do we get both genders for the followers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Can we date our own Mercs?
What?! That would take another two years of development !!
__________________

Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 16:44   Link #629
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
More information on the Follower's system:

PC IGN - Diablo 3: Virtual Friends with Benefits

So unlike the run-of-the-mill mercs in D2, these Followers will be their own characters with dialogue and interactions. Interesting, I always was fond of my mercs in D2 even when they didn't speak XD
Bad news.
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...=3000&pageNo=2

Mercs are designed to be entirely useless past normal difficulty. They stop levelling up past level 25. The intention was to "ease" Single-player gamers into playing Multiplayer by giving them someone to play with, then take it all away so they would have to play online with other people instead.

Frankly I am insulted by this. And DIII has been bumped off my buy-list until further notice.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 17:33   Link #630
Xacual
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Bad news.
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...=3000&pageNo=2

Mercs are designed to be entirely useless past normal difficulty. They stop levelling up past level 25. The intention was to "ease" Single-player gamers into playing Multiplayer by giving them someone to play with, then take it all away so they would have to play online with other people instead.

Frankly I am insulted by this. And DIII has been bumped off my buy-list until further notice.
Because these aren't Mercs like in D2. Like you said they made them as a sort of tutorial to get players used to having other characters working with them. I don't really see the big deal but then again I rarely if ever used Mercs in D2.
__________________

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 18:24   Link #631
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Because these aren't Mercs like in D2. Like you said they made them as a sort of tutorial to get players used to having other characters working with them. I don't really see the big deal but then again I rarely if ever used Mercs in D2.
That's not the problem; the problem is that by making mercs a Multiplayer tutorial only, it means I have no more reason to treat Diablo as a single-player game.

I don't care about multiplayer no matter how good it is suppose to be. It is not my type of fun. And as such, since DIII is now officially a full Multiplayer game all the way through, and Blizzard even told me to my face that I am a minority who isn't going to matter very much, that I would make sure the "minority" gets even more minor by taking myself out of it.

There is another RPG that is coming out this year, that has a dedicated Single-Player. I will not name it as I don't want to start a versus argument. But let it be known that Blizzard helped me make up my mind which RPG I would be playing at the end of 2011.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 18:39   Link #632
Xacual
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
That's not the problem; the problem is that by making mercs a Multiplayer tutorial only, it means I have no more reason to treat Diablo as a single-player game.

I don't care about multiplayer no matter how good it is suppose to be. It is not my type of fun. And as such, since DIII is now officially a full Multiplayer game all the way through, and Blizzard even told me to my face that I am a minority who isn't going to matter very much, that I would make sure the "minority" gets even more minor by taking myself out of it.

There is another RPG that is coming out this year, that has a dedicated Single-Player. I will not name it as I don't want to start a versus argument. But let it be known that Blizzard helped me make up my mind which RPG I would be playing at the end of 2011.
I have to be honest with you. If a small announcement like this is making you totally forsake a game then it doesn't sound like you really ever intended to like it in the first place.

Blizzard isn't calling single players a minority, their intention for followers were to be a helper and lore providing character for single players in normal mode. Judging by what's been said about normal mode, it's going to be simple anyway so I don't see how making a follower that is pretty much useless on the difficulty you can use it on, unavailable on the other difficulties a big deal.
__________________

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 19:01   Link #633
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I have to be honest with you. If a small announcement like this is making you totally forsake a game then it doesn't sound like you really ever intended to like it in the first place.

Blizzard isn't calling single players a minority, their intention for followers were to be a helper and lore providing character for single players in normal mode. Judging by what's been said about normal mode, it's going to be simple anyway so I don't see how making a follower that is pretty much useless on the difficulty you can use it on, unavailable on the other difficulties a big deal.
http://blues.incgamers.com/Posts/1/1...te-of-dev-time
Here is the quote when Blizzard explicitly call people like me a minority:
Quote:
I don’t mean any offense, but you don’t represent the majority of people that will play the game. For better or worse.
Note the "I don't mean any offense". This sentence is only used when Blizzard knows they are saying something offensive, but says it anyway.

And go ahead and accuse me of being a drama queen or that I am a liar. I have been following DIII news for months now, and I am genuinely angry at what they have done. They have officially declared that as a Single Player gamer, I don't deserve to have the full game past Normal difficulty. This is a design decision to make sure I am not having too much fun.

This is the first time Blizzard has said to my face that "You are playing it wrong, do multiplayer or don't do it at all."
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 19:09   Link #634
Xacual
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Spoiler for First Blizzard Post:


Spoiler for Third Post:


After reading all three posts, I'm still not seeing them calling single players a minority. He was telling those people on that forum complaining about not being able to use mercs on higher difficulties and essentially posting on a hidden forum that they aren't a majority of the people that will be buying the game. Let's be honest, people who use a forum for a game that's not even out yet, aren't a majority no matter how you slice it.
__________________

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy

Last edited by Xacual; 2011-05-13 at 19:11. Reason: Deleted second quote, it's all in the third.
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 19:24   Link #635
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 29
So they make templar a companion and not a playable class? fuck you blizzard.
__________________
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 19:29   Link #636
Xacual
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
So they make templar a companion and not a playable class? fuck you blizzard.
Err, we already know all the playable classes. They said D3 would have 5 and we have 5 announced already.
__________________

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 19:31   Link #637
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Err, we already know all the playable classes. They said D3 would have 5 and we have 5 announced already.
Yes.. they did.. while they could have put in more and templar seems to be a good class to be able to use, its not like barbarian. it looks like paladin does.
__________________
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 19:39   Link #638
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
[SPOILER="First Blizzard Post"]After reading all three posts, I'm still not seeing them calling single players a minority. He was telling those people on that forum complaining about not being able to use mercs on higher difficulties and essentially posting on a hidden forum that they aren't a majority of the people that will be buying the game. Let's be honest, people who use a forum for a game that's not even out yet, aren't a majority no matter how you slice it.
Blizzard wants me to play Multiplayer by stopping Companions from levelling up past 25, making them impossible to use in Nightmare or higher. This is a deliberate decision in order to discourage single player from being fun past that point. This also means Blizzard knows that I would enjoy having viable Companions in Nightmare and Hell, and they can't have me doing that.

There is no reason to give companions a 25 level cap except to punch me in the face for not playing multiplayer.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 21:17   Link #639
NoLongerSane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Bad news.
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...=3000&pageNo=2

Mercs are designed to be entirely useless past normal difficulty. They stop levelling up past level 25. The intention was to "ease" Single-player gamers into playing Multiplayer by giving them someone to play with, then take it all away so they would have to play online with other people instead.

Frankly I am insulted by this. And DIII has been bumped off my buy-list until further notice.
I am a bit disheartn from reading that. I too have valued my Merc and made sure that they were near the same level I was when doing the harder difficulties. I am also very avid in playing multiplayer and the reason for that was the mercs that I would bring in along to help out the others during quest and level ups.

I am hoping that Blizzard changes their minds on this.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 22:55   Link #640
LoweGear
Great Commandy One
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
I dunno about you, but my experience with the Merc system in D2 was that once you hit the latter parts of the game like in Hell (the level, not the difficulty), or Harrogath they tend to die really fast. So much so in fact that I practically soloed the game in Nightmare and Hell difficulty due to how many times my Merc kept on dying. (And since I liked my mercs it was rather disheartening).

Also, I don't think we have all the information here. While we know Followers will only level up to 25, we don't know how that kind of level scales in relation to the game, or if the leveling system for the Followers will be similar to the player at all. And given that they said you don't even require followers to finish Normal difficulty due to how easy it's supposed to be, then it points to the possibility of a player wanting to use Followers in Nightmare and Hell difficulty to ease the pain. Hell (pun intended), we don't even know how the game will scale across Normal, Nightmare and Hell in relation to your character and your Follower.

Finally, the Follower's system is not the merc system for one reason: as stated, you don't have to return to camp to pick up a dead Follower, in fact they don't "die" at all, unlike mercs - they just become unuseable for a short period of time, then get back into the action immediately. So you're never truly alone if you choose to bring your Follower with you and thus you no longer have the frustration of having to go back to camp to get them back. Hence even in Hell difficulty they should still be viable enough on paper, just not as a secondary powerhouse. In the first place, the Followers system (and arguably the predecessor Mercenary system) was not designed to be your crutch in a game; if you're playing badly, no amount of superpowered Merc or Follower is going to save your ass. You're the one who's supposed to be playing the game, not your Follower. And if you're bringing along the Follower for the lore and interactions they bring, then how they fare in combat shouldn't matter as much, given that they won't technically "die" on you.
__________________

On Flying: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
arpg, blizzard, dungeon crawler

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.