AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-04, 20:43   Link #1281
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I am pretty sure it was listed as one cour for a while. I don't know when it changed though, I just noticed. But either way, hooray!

And *bookmark*.
Old 2011-04-06, 02:06   Link #1282
DummyInc

i cant get enough of the loli, hopefully there would b a volks doll of her
Old 2011-04-08, 13:56   Link #1283
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Ep 12 was nice. Summer vacation, tree loli's, logic puzzles, and the cake is a lie
Old 2011-04-08, 15:13   Link #1284
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I fell quite a bit out of the loop out of this thread and the series (still at episode 10 and I need to read the last 5 or so pages). But I should point out that the show had always been 24 episodes

Quote:
According to Crunchyroll's press release, the series will be 24 episodes long
Source: This very thread and ANN
Old 2011-04-08, 16:35   Link #1285
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for episode 12:
Old 2011-04-08, 16:40   Link #1286
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Has Kujo suffered that much head trauma? I don't remember him getting hit all that much, but he seems to be getting dumber with every episode.

Couldn't he see Victorique was about to trip? And hasn't he noticed she just isn't very honest?

On an unrelated note - what gave Avril the notion Victorique was a boy?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 17:01   Link #1287
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
On an unrelated note - what gave Avril the notion Victorique was a boy?
The name. The anime sort of screwed this up with the VA's constantly calling her Victorica, but early on in the novels (like Vol.2) it was noted that Victorique is often mistaken to be a boy due to her masculine sounding name.
Old 2011-04-08, 17:01   Link #1288
msg

Oh noes..more kujo dumbness yay more victorique goth loli cuteness.Really thought gosick gonna end at episode 12 or13.

for gosick LN readers - is kujo really being potray that dumb in the ln similiar to the anime?
Old 2011-04-08, 17:17   Link #1289
Kagatob

Send a message via AIM to Kagatob
Victorique was channeling Yukari a lot this episode, no complaints here, I hope she wears that outfit all summer.

24 episodes eh. That's a relief, this show's great and this spring's anime lineup isn't doing nearly as much for me as the fall and winter seasons did, at least so far, I hope I'm wrong in the end though.

My main wish for this show is that they don't wait till the last episode or two for Kujo and Victorique to take the next step in their relationship, or at least allow them to be honest with their feelings to each other, the ambiguity till the very end of a show thing is becoming so cliche.
Kagatob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 17:28   Link #1290
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Enjoyable episode, particularly, yet again, because of Victorika. As someone posted on 2channel, even without Madoka Magika, this and A-Channel continue to give us an "Ao-chan festival" (Ao-chan matsuri) on Thursday-Friday.

Like others, I thought V's summer outfit was great.

I don't think there is any variation of V's name that doesn't sound feminine in English. They actually say (and spell it) "Vikutorika" in Japanese, so I've always preferred "Victorica," but I didn't realize we needed some form that sounded masculine. How about "Victorika" or "Viktorika"? "Victorique" doesn't sound masculine to me. Is there a French masculine (or feminine) name that ends in "-ique"? Of course, anything ending in "-a" sounds feminine in a Latin-derived language like Italian or French (or Savoyard?). The usual confusion in going between Japanese and any Western language.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 23). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru), Ben-To (Hana). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki), Kimi no Iru Machi (Rin). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Blade & Soul (Jin Valel), Soul Eater Not! (Meme), Seven Deadly Sins (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Gangsta (Nina), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy), One-Punch Man (Tornado), Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan (Goura), Hidan no Aria AA (Kirin). 2016 ERASED (Kayo), Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu), Ace Attorney (Mayoi), Tanaka-kun (Rino).
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 18:04   Link #1291
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 12:
Old 2011-04-08, 20:03   Link #1292
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Spoiler for ep 12:
Spoiler for Ep 12:
Old 2011-04-08, 21:00   Link #1293
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Victorique was definitely channeling Yukari with her magnificent purple dress and white parasol.

I enjoyed this episode very much. I felt bad for Victorique when the teacher ate the cake - don't you know you're not supposed to randomly eat someone else's food even when they're not there?! That's called stealing!
Old 2011-04-08, 21:03   Link #1294
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
I enjoyed this episode very much. I felt bad for Victorique when the teacher ate the cake - don't you know you're not supposed to randomly eat someone else's food even when they're not there?! That's called stealing!
I felt bad for Victorique as well at that part... But when no one is looking, and you see something that tempts you so badly.... Maybeee just one taste wouldn't be so bad....

"SO GOOD!!!"

Probably another would be good..... *eats the whole cake afterwards* temptation steals the cakes
Old 2011-04-08, 23:29   Link #1295
Undertaker

The purple dress is awesome, seriously, for me with that dress, Victorique is the cutest, moe-est goth loli to hit anime since the Rozen army (specifically Shinku & Suiseiseki).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't. Can someone explain to me why Grevil doesn't like Victorique? Did she actually tell him to stop loving Jacqueline or not? And if not then why the hate? Because she seemed to emotionless and didn't know what love is? It's painfully obvious that's because she barely had any social contact when she was imprisioned and it's no coincidence she's far more quirky now. Anyone with a brain can tell she's clearly just a nice girl...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well Grevil and Victorique didn't exactly start off with a normal sibling relationship. Thanks to her father Victorique grew up almost like a zombie. There's a lot of reasons for that relationship to be strained on both sides.

Too bad in the end for Grevil. Even with the deal the best he could do was clear Jacqueline so she could marry someone else. His hairstyle was definitely better before and made him look more human. Of course in the end if he can't end up with the one he likes what does he care about his hairstyle? Don't know if he just didn't have the courage to tell her how he felt in time or if he didn't want to risk what he had already. But in the end left without any options now.

Well, there is actually more reason why Grevil act the way he does toward Victorique. Grevil is implied in LN to be a a pretty nice guy and was the only one in his clan (including the servants) showed interest and concern for Victorique before she drove him off with fear...

Personally I really liked what Cecile noted to herself about Victorique in LN:

"Isn't bore the same as lonely?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The problem is that those crimes are supposed to be complicated. Otherwise, Grevil wouldn't have to rely on Victorique. Futhermore, the few crimes that were truly hard to solve were solved in a very unconvincing manner - through conjectures rather than concrete deductions.

Ah well, I don't even care all that much about the mysteries anymore. It's been clear for a while now they aren't the strongest point of the series (in fact, it's probably the weakest). I'm watching Gosick for Victorique and Yuuki Aoi, as well as the interesting character dynamics.
Agree,

But keep in mind that Sakuraba is not mystery writer so as far as mystery/detective go, Gosick is second rated stuff. It was a good read not because of the cases but because of the characters and the way Sakuraba wrote it. (she is a more traditional literature writer who debuted as LN writer.)

To me Kindaichi Shonen no Jikenbo (same creator/artist as Detective Academy Q) is still the best pure mystery/detective anime/manga ever. You can actually follow the manga and try to guess who is the culprit, and as the tricks been revealed you can actually flip back to prior pages to double-check the clue.

Detective Conan is fun and I enjoyed it as well, but as far as tricks go there are too many un-realistic concepts and plot-device clues (ie, important clues only mentioned during explanation phase but was never shown or mentioned before)

On the other hand, Detective Academy Q was the creator's try on Conan approach after the ended Kindaichi due to stress of trying to coming up new tricks and decide to go with more casual approach. But Q kind of end up as a mix between the two that was unable to excel in both area.

That's why Kindaichi is being so highly regarded in East Asia and is considered as one of the best detective manga ever and was brought back 2-3 years ago as irregular serial series (average 1 case a year.)

Other detective manga I really like are works by Motohiro Katou. His two related work "Q.E.D. ~Shoumei Shuuryou~" (currently 41 volumes) and "C.M.B. Shinra Hakubutsukan no Jiken Mokuroku" (currently 17 volumes, both currently in serialization) are not as popular as Kindaich and Conan but are both still fairly popular and have dedicated fans with QED been adapted into drama series few years ago.

Unlike Conan and Kindaichi, both work involve many non-murder cases and is actually pretty informative and educational. QED often uses math and science theory as background (from simple algebra to more difficult M-theory or String theory) while CMB uses archeology, folklores and cultural traditions as background. background. Each volume of QED consist 2 chapters/story (bi-monthly serial) while CMB have cases of various length.

I think there are English translation available for QED, feel free to look for them on net if you guys are interested.
Old 2011-04-09, 00:08   Link #1296
serenade_beta
☆げしげし☆

Spoiler for ep12:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 02:20   Link #1297
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah, and her reaction upon learning Victorique's gender was pretty interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I don't think there is any variation of V's name that doesn't sound feminine in English. They actually say (and spell it) "Vikutorika" in Japanese, so I've always preferred "Victorica," but I didn't realize we needed some form that sounded masculine. How about "Victorika" or "Viktorika"? "Victorique" doesn't sound masculine to me. Is there a French masculine (or feminine) name that ends in "-ique"?
Frederic, Dominique. They sound the same for boys and girls.

Even so, Victorique doesn't sound masculine to me...
Old 2011-04-09, 04:43   Link #1298
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

The French version of the name is Victoir, or Victor (from the latin "victor" , meaning winner or the one who wins/has won). In Italy the "ct" becomes a "tt" so we have "Vittorio" for males and "Vittoria" for females. Hence, excluding the two confining countries, the only way it could sound masculine is if it is pronounced "Victorich". Now this name does exist, although it doesn't look strictly french, perhaps it's a derivative, been a while since my French studies. But then again, what language do they have in Saubure precisely? One could tell that if you try to pronounce Victorique (only the pronunciation, leave the -que out as it is tendentially feminine per se), it should be something along the lines of "Victoric(h)", hence potentially sounding as masculine.

Even so, with the pronunciation given so far by the anime (Victorica, Victorika) in the spoken language, no matter how you look at it, it's a feminine sound, with the final "a" giving it away completely.

In a nutshell, if Kujo had been using "Victoric", Avril's reaction could have made sense. With "Victorica" it simply cannot, and doesn't.
Old 2011-04-09, 05:11   Link #1299
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Victorich? Never came across anything like that. The "ich" makes it sound vaguely German, but the Victor's latin...
Old 2011-04-09, 05:41   Link #1300
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

It depends on how you would consider the "h" at the end. If you make it sound like the two different pronunciations of the german first person "ich", then of course it would sound german-ish. But since the core of the name is latin, it's unlikely it would end with a german suffix. My interpretation was that the "h" would be mute (hence in one instance I put it into brackets), or that it could simply be "Victoric".

Googling a bit I've found Victoric as a contraction of Victoricus (it's about two Romans who soon moved and lived in France). So I assume his latin name was Victoricus, and in France it took the form Victoric-Victorice. Going back until 4th century AC, but just to state that this form may have existed somehow.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2011-04-09 at 06:12.
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, horror, light novel adaptation, moe, mystery, school life, shounen