Old 2010-11-07, 13:22   Link #61
Falkor

yes, you are right. let me fix it.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 15:39   Link #62
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Yep, it's no joke. He will retire on anime if this fails.
Old 2010-11-18, 17:07   Link #63
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Yep, it's no joke. He will retire on anime if this fails.
He had better start planning for his farewell party, then.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-19, 14:28   Link #64
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

What a drama queen... I'm kind starting to secretly hope this series will fail just to see if he'll go through with it. To be honest, it wouldn't be such a huge loss for the industry.
Old 2010-11-19, 14:46   Link #65
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Meh, what his "big" works anyway ?
Kannagi ? Haruhi ? HAH !
Bite me.

Well wish the best for the project, n eh..... I dunno if this one even have "Noitamina" feel, hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by fertygo; 2010-11-19 at 17:06. Reason: Well, sorry and thanks OP.
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-19, 16:23   Link #66
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
What a drama queen... I'm kind starting to secretly hope this series will fail just to see if he'll go through with it. To be honest, it wouldn't be such a huge loss for the industry.
it would be funny if he does retire... I want to think he is trying to put a challenge on himself by making that statement. Pressure is sometimes good or so they say. I do have my doubts about the show, but I'm trying to be enthusiastic since I've liked his works in the past.

I would like to disagree with the last part, though. I think he is a great creative force with some very interesting ideas. The dancing numbers, the different OP/ED, Haruhi 00 and Kannagi are all testament of the work he has so far done. Concepts like making an hilarious and badly done amateur film, or playing with the idea of a goddess being an idol is something very genuine and out of the ordinary. That alone deserves credit.

I think people should have a more positive thinking. Everyone is already wishing for this show to fail.

@fertygo

there's nothing wrong if you have little intention of contributing to the discussion. But your derogatory comment feels very rude. =_=
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-19, 17:03   Link #67
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
it would be funny if he does retire... I want to think he is trying to put a challenge on himself by making that statement. Pressure is sometimes good or so they say. I do have my doubts about the show, but I'm trying to be enthusiastic since I've liked his works in the past.

I would like to disagree with the last part, though. I think he is a great creative force with some very interesting ideas. The dancing numbers, the different OP/ED, Haruhi 00 and Kannagi are all testament of the work he has so far done. Concepts like making an hilarious and badly done amateur film, or playing with the idea of a goddess being an idol is something very genuine and out of the ordinary. That alone deserves credit.

I think people should have a more positive thinking. Everyone is already wishing for this show to fail.
Sure, nothing wrong with setting a challenge for yourself. However, that's the kind of thing you usually keep for yourself. It just sounds like a publicity stunt for me. If he is serious, in a way, that's even worse, since it means he's planning to give up instead of pondering over the reasons for his anime's failure in a effort to try to come up with something better later on. Yes, it's wrong to assume that if people don't like your work, it simply means they "don't get it". It may just mean your work sucks. It's good to reflect upon yourself from time to time.

Oh, I'm not claiming he's bad, I'm just saying he's not as important as he might think he is. He's had a few very good ideas but they weren't exactly revolutionary for me. I couldn't care less about dancing anime. I loved Haruhi's episode 00 though.
Old 2010-11-19, 18:13   Link #68
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

^ It's drama 'king'.

and, I hope you did read the reason why he is retiring... He thinks anime industry is no-good now. He is the one who introduced the idea of 'giving DVD for free and earn money with toys of the characters'. He did this experiment on BRS, regardless of anime being good or not, I think he should be admired for doing this new kind of adventurous marketing.

He has been thinking of retiring for ages anyway. Plus, it's not him who made this retire thing to the public. It's reporters who did that. He is merely showing his determination...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Meh, what his "big" works anyway ?
Kannagi ? Haruhi ? HAH !
Bite me.
Haruhi is legend and it is undeniable truth regardless of you liking it or not /period
Old 2010-11-19, 18:34   Link #69
Washi

Quote:
^ It's drama 'king'.

and, I hope you did read the reason why he is retiring... He thinks anime industry is no-good now. He is the one who introduced the idea of 'giving DVD for free and earn money with toys of the characters'. He did this experiment on BRS, regardless of anime being good or not, I think he should be admired for doing this new kind of adventurous marketing.

He has been thinking of retiring for ages anyway. Plus, it's not him who made this retire thing to the public. It's reporters who did that. He is merely showing his determination...

This. He has expressed exasperation with the anime industry recently, and he has a growing collection of criticisms. If you read some of his earlier interviews, he's been pretty driven to try and challenge the anime industry with works that don't just fall into the otaku niche but reach a wider audience without relying on pandering to fans. I guess Fractale is his chance to give that a shot.
Old 2010-11-20, 03:52   Link #70
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washi View Post
If you read some of his earlier interviews, he's been pretty driven to try and challenge the anime industry with works that don't just fall into the otaku niche but reach a wider audience without relying on pandering to fans. I guess Fractale is his chance to give that a shot.
HE said that? Hahaha. If that's really what he intends Fractale to be, then it might just be good after all. I guess it's his "Final Fantasy", expect in his case, it might really be his Final Fantasy. I see he's directed a live action movie, I assume that's where he'll fall back if he retires from anime.

After reading more of his interviews, I have to admit he says some good things. He just doesn't strike as the type who actively tried to make works that don't pander to otakus (quite the contrary) until now, as opposed to someone like say, Masaaki Yuasa (whose latest work actually sold pretty well, and that's fully deserved. See?). And wow, he's trying his damn hardest to piss off otakus
Old 2010-11-20, 03:54   Link #71
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Regardless, Fractale is almost probably going to do poorly, its actual quality nonwithstanding. It just doesn't look like the sort of anime that sells.

Yamamoto is probably aware of this and is using it as an excuse to retire.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 03:59   Link #72
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Yes, it's sad that an anime's sales almost never reflects its real quality, but that's a problem present in a lot of other industries. I'm pretty sure that one won't sell either, but if Fractale is really as good and "original" as he seems to think it is, Yamakan'll have my respect. Not that he gives a damn about that.
Old 2010-11-20, 04:40   Link #73
TJR

Quote:
HE said that? Hahaha. If that's really what he intends Fractale to be, then it might just be good after all.
Perhaps, but we'll just have to see what Fractale really is.

In the past, Yamakan has downplayed the otaku pandering aspects of his shows. He also feels that people's categorization of him as a moe director is unfair (and goes on to suggest that moe may simply be in the eye of the beholder - i.e. mecha could be moe for some people, as could airplanes, cute animals, etc.).

Yamakan is as much a businessman as a director (you could definitely argue that many of his ideas are ultimately marketing gimmicks, as well thought out as they may be), so I don't foresee a clean break from what sells. After all, it's possible to create a distinct otaku show that isn't quite as insular as a lot of recent output. I'd actually guess that he'd classify Haruhi as one of these broader successes, given the enthusiastic response worldwide.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 18:09   Link #74
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
i.e. mecha could be moe for some people.
lol

Fractale looks like a good series, kind of has an oldschool Studio Ghibli feel to it from what I can gather, so I'm looking forward to watching it and hope it succeeds even if I don't like Yamakan's attitude.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 20:29   Link #75
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

I just figured out; Kobayasi Yuu's doing the male lead? lol, my anticipation went down to bottom. I know she is a good seiyuu in comedic role (and her kawaii drawings), but her male acting is terrible. I've seen it in Higurashi and Ookami Kakushi.
Old 2010-11-20, 23:38   Link #76
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

She was pretty great in Higepiyo, though.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 15:43   Link #77
einhorn303

Quote:
I just figured out; Kobayasi Yuu's doing the male lead? lol, my anticipation went down to bottom. I know she is a good seiyuu in comedic role (and her kawaii drawings), but her male acting is terrible. I've seen it in Higurashi and Ookami Kakushi.
This is a matter of personal taste, but I love Yuu Kobayashi. Mostly for her deep-voiced female rules (Yumi Kajiki, Rio), but also in at least one male role: Mariya from Maria-Holic.

IAt first, it might seem like her voice doesn't fit the character design of Clain (or whatever), but she has a tremendous vocal range.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 17:55   Link #78
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Quote:

Ouch. The anime's chara design is pretty disappointing.
You know, now that I look at it, the transition in art may be intentional, going back to the 90s art where the term moe didn't exist.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 18:04   Link #79
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
This is a matter of personal taste, but I love Yuu Kobayashi. Mostly for her deep-voiced female rules (Yumi Kajiki, Rio), but also in at least one male role: Mariya from Maria-Holic.

IAt first, it might seem like her voice doesn't fit the character design of Clain (or whatever), but she has a tremendous vocal range.
She is good when she do female role. But problem is that her voice is very characteristic, her male voice can be very disturbing. I would never even consider Mariya to be male role, since he is supposed to be trap.
Old 2010-11-22, 18:30   Link #80
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

i'm digging the old school animation style

Tags
a-1 pictures, noitamina, yamamoto yutaka