AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-08-24, 16:47   Link #21
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Unhappy

I can't believe it. He was my favorite anime director. I'm speechless... Rest in peace, Mister Kon.

Time to rewatch Millenium Actress.
Old 2010-08-24, 17:25   Link #22
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I can't believe it. He was my favorite anime director. I'm speechless... Rest in peace, Mister Kon.

Time to rewatch Millenium Actress.
Yeah, I'm already hosting a showing of the movie tonight to commemorate him.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 17:47   Link #23
Last Sinner
Don't Call Me Bro

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
I'm planning a marathon of Paranoia Agent and trying to get the local club to do a Kon titles only night. Even if we have played every one of them already.

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 18:09   Link #24
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
I have a sickening feeling in my stomach as I write this. Kon was one of the best living directors until now. After I first watched Millenium Actress, it stayed in my mind for days - one of the rare anime that I connected with on a deeply emotional level. I can't fathom the idea that the creator has died so young.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 18:10   Link #25
Tu101uk
~ Episode of Side A ~

This is quite depressing... :(

Here's my post on the ANN thread regarding this news...

Quote:
I haven't watched a lot of Mr Kon's work throughout the 10+ years I've been into anime, but I still remember vividly being a teenager in my older brother's darkened bedroom, watching his "Perfect Blue" DVD for the first time.

This was during the time where I was just getting into anime, and it was the first time that I ever considered any sort of animation being thought-provoking and mind-bending. So gritty, so dark, so complex. It was a wonderful film that I would still recommend to anyone just starting out with the medium...

The world has lost yet another one of its creative masters, and the film and anime communities he has left behind will not be the same without him...

Condolences to family, friends and colleagues. May you finally rest peacefully, Mr Kon.
O-O~

~ Current Season Favourites... :: Ano Natsu de Matteru / Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! / Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou ~
Tu101uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 18:56   Link #26
Hippo
Careful now.

Such a terrible thing to happen, he was a superb director and one of my favourites of all time, and Tokyo Godfathers is one of my absolute favourite films. Perfect Blue was one of the earlier animes that I bought, I saved up my babysitting money to buy it on VHS and even though I later bought the DVD I kept the VHS for sentimental reasons and because it was an important film for me. It is tragic enough that a man should die so young, but somehow extra depressing when you consider potentially 20 years of wonderful film making that will now never happen.
Old 2010-08-24, 19:13   Link #27
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

RIP Satoshi Kon T_T

I only watched Perfect Blue in my youth . Great works btw .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 19:17   Link #28
Ahiru77
あひる

Rest in Peace Satoshi Kon. U_U
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 20:38   Link #29
TinyRedLeaf
'Dear Elhit'

Disbelief — that's the only word that comes immediately to mind.

This news comes just days after I learnt that Studio Ghibli had recently dodged being reduced to a five-man staff, as its top three leaders, Miyazaki, Takahata and Suzuki, are themselves getting on years without clear successors in sight.

Meanwhile, the anime industry continues to go through tough times amid a still-stagnant Japanese economy.

In the light of these circumstances, Satoshi Kon's sudden passing could not have come at a worse time. More than ever, it feels like the beginning of the end of an era.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 20:43   Link #30
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Damn this is depressing. He was one of the best film creators in recent memory. I also loved his anime series Paranoia Agent. A Shame such talent is gone now and only at 47.

He will be missed.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 21:50   Link #31
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Poverty? As in...being poor?

With the success of his creations, I would figure he'd be quite whealthy...For give my ignornace, I didn't know too much about the man himself...
Someone mind filling me in on this? How was he in poverty if he was so famous?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 22:05   Link #32
Last Sinner
Don't Call Me Bro

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Someone mind filling me in on this? How was he in poverty if he was so famous?
Very easily. Directors and animators generaly get paid a pittance of the profits. It's the subsiduary owners of the studios that get the majority of the profits from sales. Sad fact is even if you were working in low-level retail in the West, you'd probably earn more than most directors, according to various articles in recent times, including a couple from ANN. Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo director Shinichiro Watanabe has also said previously that he lives pretty tight and that the industry is a hard way to make a living.

And remember - Kon was a guy who valued quality. He didn't try to tailor his stuff to be a guaranteed financial success. He wanted to make masterpieces with things he believed in/was passionate about. Which is rare. He deserved a lot better than financial hardship and an early death. If only this were to trigger improved working conditions for those within the industry. But I doubt it.

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 22:08   Link #33
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Very easily. Directors and animators generaly get paid a pittance of the profits. It's the subsiduary owners of the studios that get the majority of the profits from sales. Sad fact is even if you were working in low-level retail in the West, you'd probably earn more than most directors, according to various articles in recent times, including a couple from ANN. Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo director Shinichiro Watanabe has also said previously that he lives pretty tight and that the industry is a hard way to make a living.

And remember - Kon was a guy who valued quality. He didn't try to tailor his stuff to be a guaranteed financial success. He wanted to make masterpieces with things he believed in/was passionate about. Which is rare. He deserved a lot better than financial hardship and an early death. If only this were to trigger improved working conditions for those within the industry. But I doubt it.
Wow..that is something...I would of never suspected anything like that. Such a damn shame, even more great talent departs from Earth, simply depressing...
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 23:55   Link #34
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/41520/

Apparently his death was caused by cancer. Man, I'm still in utter disbelief.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 00:14   Link #35
mike.

I was shocked when I saw this announcement, just couldn't believe it. He is my favorite anime director and I was looking forward to actually growing and aging with this director and seeing his new creations as the years passed by.
mike. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 00:17   Link #36
Alchemist007
*Author

Crazy awesome work, he will be missed.
Old 2010-08-25, 00:33   Link #37
ViewtifulAlchemist

It's still hard for this all sink in to me. To be honest I got really angry when I heard this was confirmed to be true. Satoshi Kon was like one of my most favorite in the anime industry. Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Paranoia Agent, and Paprika. Series that I still remember fondly of to this day.

I still have the Perfect Blue VHS in a drawer next to me which made me a fan of his from the beginning, loved his character and director style. Heard on ann that he was working on his next project before parting called "Yume-Miru Kikai". So sad that is the end of such works.

Thanks for all you have given us, Satoshi Kon, R.I.P.

Sig by Jze0
ViewtifulAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 00:38   Link #38
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post

I think some will wake up eventually. I believe a trigger with the Japanese make you want do something and be the best at it. Just like a good people die, alot will fill in the void to make things more better. We may see another boom in anime once again. Japan will step eventually and make something happen.
Highman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 04:26   Link #39
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Goddammit.....

Watching Tokyo Godfathers again this Christmas isn't going to be the same...

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2010-08-25 at 04:50.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 06:08   Link #40
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Holy fucking shit.

Holy fucking shit.

The best director in the anime business.

God fucking damn it, man. So much mediocrity survives, and the very best of the best needs to go away like this? At such an early age? I can't believe it.

It's gonna be a sad future for anime.

It's just not fair.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote