AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-04-20, 14:27   Link #3141
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
And btw, I'm not sure why you have to drag Seed into this as 00 is a better example for having kids with super powers, they even put a lot of emphasis on it.
Really? I dont recall that. The only minor that has super powers in 00 that I recall was Soma and Allelujah in his young flashback scenes.
Old 2012-04-20, 15:31   Link #3142
atilim
Knightmare

Super power heroes are not needed in Gundam, the super power is the Gundam mobile suit.

Only Kira as a protagonist had special ability's from the start (being a coordinator) every single gundam protagonist developed his ability's during the show, at best there where talks about ''insert random character'' being a newtype but that never truly manifested in the early eps (and Kamille Bidan early hallucinations isn't enough to be a newytype) .

Biggest difference between Age on other more successful gundam shows is the animation, structure of the show and mechs. Flit and Asemu as protagonist are similar to most other gundam characters, one is willing to fight and the other is more hesitated to fight but both are forced because of the situation.
atilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 19:11   Link #3143
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Really? I dont recall that. The only minor that has super powers in 00 that I recall was Soma and Allelujah in his young flashback scenes.
Setsuna is still a kid compared to the rest of the cast. (How old was he? 16 right?)
An Innovator is pretty much super saiyan. same as Seed, newtype, x-rounder. etc.
Gundam always had Superheroes (with a few exceptions).. One who is more special than the others. Kids like that.

Quote:
Only Kira as a protagonist had special ability's from the start (being a coordinator) every single gundam protagonist developed his ability's during the show
Being a cordinater is not something special in C.E. Being a Seed user is.

Quote:
Biggest difference between Age on other more successful gundam shows is the animation, structure of the show and mechs.
No. Most Gundam shows have different animation style, story sructure, and design. So that's not it.

Last edited by kaito-kid; 2012-04-20 at 19:31.
kaito-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 08:02   Link #3144
gundamdrawer
Super Pilot

Ahmm just want to but in,Setsuna is already 21 when he gained innovator powers. Not really a minor.

I realized the reason why Kio sucks as of this moment is because unlike flit and asemu, he doesn't have a badass ally named woolf!
gundamdrawer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 08:18   Link #3145
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

The real reason why Bandai is calling AGE a failure is because the kids (9-12 y/o), the people who are supposed to be the main target audience, isn't caring enough, as for the older audiences, I think that the usual audience for Gundam is stabilizing the view for this series. However, Bandai is calling it a failure doesn't mean that the story sucks in any way, shape or form. No Bubblegum-colored princess doesn't mean that the story will suck. Besides, the real failure of Bandai is because the bulk of the show's merchandise is targetted for kids aged 9-12. It doesn't reflect the story whatsoever.

You put together the bad first impression, and the fact that people overreacted, people are not going to watch it because of heresay.

Gundam AGE isn't perfect, but to say that its story sucks(irony that you're giving SEED some laurels over) without even watching the damn series shows how ignorant you are.
Old 2012-04-21, 10:22   Link #3146
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Quote:
Yeah... a bland kid that build a Gundam, and pilots it like a boss and is a X-Rounder.. Yeah.. totally not super..
And btw, I'm not sure why you have to drag Seed into this as 00 is a better example for having kids with super powers, they even put a lot of emphasis on it.
Setsuna didn't suddenly get supernatural abilities. It took him 2 seasons and a movie to become like that.

I also don't recall SEED being a special ability in the CE. Sure, only 5 known people possess it (Kira, Cagalli, Lacus, Athrun, Shinn), but given Kira's "Newtype" abilities by Destiny...and Newtypes like Rau, Mwu, Rey and Al existing in the CE (not to mention Prayer Reverie and Setona Winters)...it was more like another evolution thing. SEED was supposedly just some kind of bridge that made Kira into a "Newtype" (of which many lively debates have already been made about it over at the SEED thread). Not saying the Newtypes became Newtypes in the CE because they also had SEED...but Kira made that sort of possible.

As for Flit Asuno, he was the scion of the Asuno family, which was a family of renowned Mobile Suit engineers. He also didn't suddenly learn all those things just because he was some special kid like you're making him out to be.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 09:36   Link #3147
kaito-kid

Quote:
The real reason why Bandai is calling AGE a failure is because the kids (9-12 y/o), the people who are supposed to be the main target audience, isn't caring enough, as for the older audiences, I think that the usual audience for Gundam is stabilizing the view for this series. However, Bandai is calling it a failure doesn't mean that the story sucks in any way, shape or form. No Bubblegum-colored princess doesn't mean that the story will suck. Besides, the real failure of Bandai is because the bulk of the show's merchandise is targetted for kids aged 9-12. It doesn't reflect the story whatsoever.
Of course you shouldn't judge a show based on whatever japanese people watch it or not. Whatever the story of Gundam Age sucks or not is something that you have decided. I'm not sure why have point this out, no one is saying otherwise.

Quote:
You put together the bad first impression, and the fact that people overreacted, people are not going to watch it because of heresay.
I don't think people overreacted. From what I've heard, there was little reaction to begin with.

Quote:
Gundam AGE isn't perfect, but to say that its story sucks(irony that you're giving SEED some laurels over) without even watching the damn series shows how ignorant you are.
?? Who exactly is doing this?

Quote:
Setsuna didn't suddenly get supernatural abilities
Setsuna did suddenly get his supernatural abilities. In a spectacular fashion in one if the later episodes if I remember correctly.

Quote:
I also don't recall SEED being a special ability in the CE. Sure, only 5 known people possess it (Kira, Cagalli, Lacus, Athrun, Shinn), but given Kira's "Newtype" abilities by Destiny...and Newtypes like Rau, Mwu, Rey and Al existing in the CE (not to mention Prayer Reverie and Setona Winters)...it was more like another evolution thing. SEED was supposedly just some kind of bridge that made Kira into a "Newtype" (of which many lively debates have already been made about it over at the SEED thread). Not saying the Newtypes became Newtypes in the CE because they also had SEED...but Kira made that sort of possible.
This bit is hard to read. I'm sure if I understand what you are talking about.. But regarding the Seed, if only 5 people can use it then it is a special ability. I don't know how you can argue otherwise. And it's just another "Sper mode" like you have in most other Gundam shows. sunrise can make up all the pseudo scientific bull**** they want but it doesn't change anything.

Quote:
As for Flit Asuno, he was the scion of the Asuno family, which was a family of renowned Mobile Suit engineers. He also didn't suddenly learn all those things just because he was some special kid like you're making him out to be.
Seriously?? Are you trying to say that a 14 yo designing his own MS, piloting it, and just happend to be more special than others is just a normal kid? Seriously? And what dose Flit being a descendant of the Asuno family anything to do with this?
Old 2012-04-24, 11:43   Link #3148
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Setsuna did suddenly get his supernatural abilities. In a spectacular fashion in one if the later episodes if I remember correctly.
You're not remembering it correctly. They noted his development into an Innovator over the course of the second season, starting with his getting shot with that particle-laced bullet and showing that it wasn't progressing with the poisoning like it should. Followed by his spikes of psychic understanding, with Anew. Followed by more evolution until the point where the Twin Drive System recognized him as a fully-evolved Innovator. And at that point anyway, the only benefit was the psychic and longevity aspects--combat utilization still needs to be trained, as we saw with Allelujah and Soma. His final battle was on pure skill, and keep in mind he still lost against the Reborns Gundam. No superpower reliance there.

Quote:
Seriously?? Are you trying to say that a 14 yo designing his own MS, piloting it, and just happend to be more special than others is just a normal kid? Seriously? And what dose Flit being a descendant of the Asuno family anything to do with this?
Well, to start things off, Flit had help with the Gundam AGE-1--namely, he had the friggin' blueprints for its integral systems right from the start, thanks to the AGE Device. Secondly, to know anything about mobile suit design, he'd have to be taught it, and who likely took care of that? His family. Thirdly, he had military help in constructing it. Finally, we've seen that mobile suit construction is a fairly common hobby in the AGE universe--there's civilian mobile suit auto shops, and, oh yeah, schoolkids building their own mobile suits as school club activities.

Technology was simplified for mobile suit construction, obviously. If anything, it's akin to working on cars in our day and age--sure, difficult, but if you know what you're doing you can make a fairly impressive machine. Look at Madorna! All he needed was a little bit of inspiration from the Gundam to make a Shaldoll capable of going toe-to-toe against Vagan mobile suits.

So no. Flit's mobile suit crafting isn't some special superpower. Uncommon among the rest of people for what he's able to make, sure, but hey--he's the main character. He's allowed a little leeway in that sort of thing to make him interesting.
Old 2012-04-24, 13:26   Link #3149
kaito-kid

Quote:
You're not remembering it correctly. They noted his development into an Innovator over the course of the second season, starting with his getting shot with that particle-laced bullet and showing that it wasn't progressing with the poisoning like it should. Followed by his spikes of psychic understanding, with Anew. Followed by more evolution until the point where the Twin Drive System recognized him as a fully-evolved Innovator. And at that point anyway, the only benefit was the psychic and longevity aspects--combat utilization still needs to be trained, as we saw with Allelujah and Soma. His final battle was on pure skill, and keep in mind he still lost against the Reborns Gundam. No superpower reliance there.
No, I'm remembering it pretty well. Sure there were hints of him being more then just human. but I won't call that development. There is an obvious turning point in one of the last episodes. They even put a lot of emphasis on it both in terms of it's effect on the story of 00 and it's visual portrayal.

Saying that it's development is like saying that Kira shows development, as he is able to enter Seed mode at will towards the end of Seed or that he develops into a newtype towards the end of Destiny, wich is just bulls*it.

Quote:
So no. Flit's mobile suit crafting isn't some special superpower. Uncommon among the rest of people for what he's able to make, sure, but hey--he's the main character. He's allowed a little leeway in that sort of thing to make him interesting.
As I have already mentioned. It's a combination his different abilities that make him super. not just the fact he is a 14 yo kid who build his MS.

Btw, i'm not trying to argue that this is somehow a bad thing. On the contrary I think his X-Rounder abilities should have been even more 'special'. It would have been better as Age was supposed to be a kids show.
Old 2012-04-24, 15:17   Link #3150
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
No, I'm remembering it pretty well. Sure there were hints of him being more then just human. but I won't call that development. There is an obvious turning point in one of the last episodes. They even put a lot of emphasis on it both in terms of it's effect on the story of 00 and it's visual portrayal
Do you not remember the scene in 00 when Saji himself saw Setsuna's eyes glowing? That was well before the end of the second season. Face it, Setsuna becoming an Innovator wasn't pulled out of left field, and was developed properly. It wasn't a surprise or anything, we all knew it was happening.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 00:07   Link #3151
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

The moment he got hit by a GN-particle bullet, we knew he was going to become one.
Old 2012-04-25, 00:08   Link #3152
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Y'know, after we got done arguing whether or not there was GN-Particles involved or not. There was lots of that going on first...
Old 2012-04-25, 01:06   Link #3153
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
In fact all I heard complaint wise before the Fardain arc was just how "kiddie looking" the show was and how it meant that it wasn't Gundam and therefore the show sucked and only after Fardain did I actually see people start to criticize the show based on it's actual material, but that sort of died down just as quickly as the Fardain arc ended. As a result I'm ultimately still forced to come to the conclusion that the key reason for Gundam Age failing to capture and/or losing audience was the art style before any other factor
Wait a sec....

Show is aimed @ kids

Show has a kiddy art style

Show failed because of art style

What?

Quote:
Exactly!!
You don't have to look for excuses for something you like that appears to be a failure, just be cool about it.
Its like some people have a financial stake involved in the success of AGE with how emotional they get about it. Trying to blame everything else for its failures and whining about it in other threads that have nothing to do with Gundam AGE. My fav show of the last 10 or so years is Baccano! You don't see me whining in other threads about how other light novels with more otaku and/or fujoshi appeal (from the same author even!) have sold more and have had more seasons. Suck it up.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 06:04   Link #3154
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
The moment he got hit by a GN-particle bullet, we knew he was going to become one.
You can confidently say this because we knew he became one in the end.

But from "I am Gundam" to "I have evolved", that's a developmental course that was really charted, in my opinion, satisfactorily smoothly.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 15:26   Link #3155
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
We know he'll get a "GN-Cancer". Becoming Innovator, we didn't know. We know that time the only Innovators were the Innovades.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 12:14   Link #3156
X207
Gamyūsa

i dont find AGE the best series but i still like it alot. the MS designs decent but none have really caught my attention. the story line isnt 100% action and alot of politics is involved. all that doesnt matter to me, i loved the Turn A series as it was atypical from previous series, even the wing series where MS swapped owners several times. i dont mind a 100% action scene series but i do see the advantages to tone it down and put the scenes where they belong most ie final battle series. large space battle scenes are good but not every conflict will be such. there are always smaller battles that are regional or involve a small amount of units.

i really like AGE for being more of a normal looking series that progresses as people age. its folowing 3 generations of characters rather than sticking ro one generations and adding another season to draw out any more plot. im sure some situations from previous series may pop up from time to time but thats trivial. this series is showing its quite different and thats what i like about it. its too bad none of the MS catches my obsession to buy a particular model but not all MS are going to be unique when it comes to equipement used during world/space wars. i have to admit, the last suit zant used did catch my eye for a bit.

the romance part of the series is nice yet toned down to normal level rather than being obsessed for revenge with Flit being the sole exception. i do think that flit's side of the family is a bit obsessed with revenge but Asemu seems to put less in it BC he wasnt the one who had/saw Yurin's death. i hope Kio doesnt go to the dark side and will for the extermination of the Vagan. Flit's days are numbered imo because the Vagan are already on Earth and they cant settle it with genocide. they will need to find some way to negociate peace. Kio being 2 generations ahead of Flit give me hope he'll be more open to the idea of negociating peace, same goes for the reformed Earth goevernment. as far as Flit goes, hes a relic of the first contact regardless of his skills in a MS. he's unable to move forward as a human being to accept the past and male peace with it. i hope his descendants see his personality flaws and be more upto date with the Vagan/Earth relations than him.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 21:35   Link #3157
brightman
Ancient Member

TV ratings update -
As of Ep 26, Gundam AGE's average rating is only 0.1% higher than Gundam X's (and that's including the episodes that aired on Sunday mornings at 6AM, before it changed timeslots its rating was 3.51% compared to AGE's 2.85%)

Complete list

*17.9% 1981 First Gundam (Nov Rerun)
*13.1% 1981 First Gundam (Feb Rerun)
*6.60% 1985 Z Gundam
*6.12% 1986 Gundam ZZ
*6.12% 2002 Gundam SEED
*5.41% 2004 Gundam SEED Destiny
*5.32% 1979 First Gundam (initial)
*4.84% 2007 Gundam 00
*4.47% 2008 Gundam 00 2nd season
*4.25% 1995 Gundam W
*4.11% 1994 G Gundam
*3.89% 1993 V Gundam
*3.10% 2000 G-SAVIOUR
*2.99% 1999 ∀ Gundam
*2.85% 2011 Gundam AGE (as of Ep 26)
*2.75% 1996 Gundam X (First half 3.51% Second half 1.21%)

At the rate AGE's ratings are dropping, it'll probably end up worse than Gundam X.
Old 2012-04-26, 21:44   Link #3158
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

This is me, not caring about AGE's ratings.

Last edited by GN0010 Nosferatu; 2012-04-26 at 22:27.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 22:47   Link #3159
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

ha ha ha yea no wonder this PG-gundam is still not good yea really pull the all or nothing if 3rd gen can salvage what left to save this "failed experiment".

yea looking other with GS era is still the main era of the non-uc series.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 22:50   Link #3160
casval cehack

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
TV ratings update -
As of Ep 26, Gundam AGE's average rating is only 0.1% higher than Gundam X's (and that's including the episodes that aired on Sunday mornings at 6AM, before it changed timeslots its rating was 3.51% compared to AGE's 2.85%)

Complete list

*17.9% 1981 First Gundam (Nov Rerun)
*13.1% 1981 First Gundam (Feb Rerun)
*6.60% 1985 Z Gundam
*6.12% 1986 Gundam ZZ
*6.12% 2002 Gundam SEED
*5.41% 2004 Gundam SEED Destiny
*5.32% 1979 First Gundam (initial)
*4.84% 2007 Gundam 00
*4.47% 2008 Gundam 00 2nd season
*4.25% 1995 Gundam W
*4.11% 1994 G Gundam
*3.89% 1993 V Gundam
*3.10% 2000 G-SAVIOUR
*2.99% 1999 ∀ Gundam
*2.85% 2011 Gundam AGE (as of Ep 26)
*2.75% 1996 Gundam X (First half 3.51% Second half 1.21%)

At the rate AGE's ratings are dropping, it'll probably end up worse than Gundam X.
Most likely (must be the kids). Is there a per episode ratings chart?