PDA

View Full Version : Another (generic discussion thread)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Kunagisa
2010-12-03, 17:48
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2549/7567520101204015914.jpg

Source (http://yunakiti.blog79.fc2.com/blog-entry-7521.html).

Title:
Another

Ranked 3rd in 【Kono Mystery wa Sugoi!】(This Mystery is Amazing!) domestic division.
Runner-up for the 10th 【Orthodox Mystery Award】 (lost by one vote).
Winner of 2010 【Mystery ga Yomitai!】/(Want to read mystery!).
Also ranked 3rd of 2010 【Orthodox Mystery Best 10】.

Author:
AYATSUJI Yukito
綾辻 行人

Husband to ONO Fuyumi of 12 Kingdom fame and were both in Kyoto University Mystery Research Club
A detective mystery novel writer of the orthodox-school.
Debuted with 【Jukkakukan no Satsujin】(Murder of Ten Corners Mansion) of the 【Yakata Series】(Mansion Series) in 1987. The fifth book of the series, 【Tokeikan no Satsujin】(Murder of the Clock Mansion) was regarded as the best in the series and was winner of the 45th Japan Mystery Writers Association Award of the long novel division along with MIYABE Miyuki's 【Ryuu wa Nemuru】(Sleeping Dragon) in 1992.

Story:
26 years ago, in a third-year classroom of a middle school, there was a student named Misaki. As an honors student who was also good at sports, the charming girl was popular with her classmates. When she suddenly died, her classmates decided to carry on as if she was still alive until graduation. Then, in the spring of 1998, a boy named Kōichi Sakakibara transfers to that classroom, and he grows suspicious of the fearful atmosphere in that classroom. In particular, there is a beautiful, aloof girl named Misaki Mei who wears an eyepatch and is always alone drawing pictures.

I'm a super, duper mystery lover (though not as much for horror)! The manga adaptation of this title by KIYOHARA Hiro is a decent read. I wonder how this 677 pages novel adaptation would be animated =).

Tyabann
2010-12-03, 18:11
Is this a mystery novel in the 'whodunit' sense or the 'OOOOOH MYSTERIOUS ATMOSPHERE WITH MAYBE A DEATH OR TWO" sense?

If it's the latter I don't care. :heh:

Kunagisa
2010-12-03, 18:31
Is this a mystery novel in the 'whodunit' sense or the 'OOOOOH MYSTERIOUS ATMOSPHERE WITH MAYBE A DEATH OR TWO" sense?

If it's the latter I don't care. :heh:

Thanks for asking, I should've used "detective mystery writer" instead of just "mystery writer"; and afaik, the orthodox school is same as whodunit (think Ellery Queen). As for the story itself, I've only read the manga which hasn't progressed very far yet so :heh:.

Refer to post 68 (http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=3850100&postcount=68)

fertygo
2010-12-04, 00:20
Errrrr.... Noitamina ?

Leo_Otaku
2010-12-04, 01:02
oooh looking forward to this 0_0 I hope madhouse animates this

Tyabann
2010-12-04, 03:13
Thanks for asking, I should've used "detective mystery writer" instead of just "mystery writer"; and afaik, the orthodox school is same as whodunit (think Ellery Queen).

YES. GOD YES.

I never get to see these anymore, just 'crime novels' and shows like Yakumo that only pretend to be real mysteries.

oooh looking forward to this 0_0 I hope madhouse animates this

I don't. :heh:

Kanon
2010-12-04, 03:26
Will definitely watch this.

totoum
2010-12-04, 03:35
I don't. :heh:

Why not?Seems like something right up their allley to me and it's the first studio that came to mind after I read the description

Kanon
2010-12-04, 03:49
Why not?Seems like something right up their allley to me and it's the first studio that came to mind after I read the description

It might be because their recent track record (Tatami Galaxy aside) is not very flattering. Still, they've done a great job on similar adaptations in the past (I'm thinking of Mouryou no Hako), so I wouldn't mind if they got this one. They just need to pick the right director.

MeoTwister5
2010-12-04, 04:13
Looks madly interesting. Maybe I should check the manga. Mystery shows with an actual mystery to solve rather than a simply mysterious setting is rare these days.

And if it's NoitaminA, looks like 11-13 episodes max.

Arbitres
2010-12-04, 04:13
beautiful, aloof girl named Misaki Mei who wears an eyepatch and is always alone drawing pictures.

*barely can contain excitement*

I'm looking forward to this, it being mystery is just more frosting on the cake. :p

Master Anime
2011-07-29, 08:58
Website Open http://www.another-anime.jp/

winhlp32
2011-07-29, 09:21
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/374/1120110729202946.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/1120110729202946.jpg/)

Noizi Ito character designs = must check out for me.

Miraluka
2011-07-29, 21:57
There is even enough material to adapt?
So far 12 episodes wouldn't be enough.

Jarmel
2011-07-30, 12:48
I was wondering who was the studio. Not familiar with Mourou no Hako but it seems they did a good enough job.

Leo_Otaku
2011-07-30, 23:33
Sweet! Just the studio I had wanted! The staff look great! I can't wait for this ^-^

Ravenblitz
2011-07-31, 00:17
"Another" anime to watch out for :D

Flower
2011-07-31, 00:59
Hrm ... this looks kinda interesting actually - and I am not much of a mystery genre person....

zeniselv
2011-07-31, 01:02
wow, what a contrast the anime designs and the book designs make.

winhlp32
2011-08-27, 07:53
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-3640.html

Another anime start 2012 January.

Studio: PA works

=nice animation
=poor composition?

But its contradicting with an earlier post that says Madhouse?

EDIT: confirmed its PA works.

Director: Mizushima Tsutomu
Writer: Higaki Ryou
Chara Design: Ishii Yuriko

Katapan
2011-08-27, 07:59
But its contradicting with an earlier post that says Madhouse?

That was most likely 2ch posting a fake staff list. Not the first time it happens, unfortunately it won't be the last either. :(

Ehhh, well. I was really looking forward to getting a new Nakamura TV series (apparently he's working currently working on a movie so this could only be fake anyway), so this is quite a bit of a downer. Still, Mizushima Tsutomu + P.A. is definitely nothing short of interesting either.

Kanon
2011-08-27, 11:36
Well, that's a major bummer :(

I was looking forward to this so damn much.

I'll delete my post to avoid any confusion, and so as to not give any more people false hope.

Guardian Enzo
2011-08-27, 13:37
Anything PA Works is producing gets a long look, and this seems interesting anyway. Has Mizushima ever worked with them before?

totoum
2011-08-27, 16:11
Has Mizushima ever worked with them before?

Nope,neither has scriptwriter Higaki Ryou though his only writing credit is having done the scripts for 6 episodes of Moribito.

Guardian Enzo
2011-08-27, 17:06
Nope,neither has scriptwriter Higaki Ryou though his only writing credit is having done the scripts of Moribito.

Gak! I missed that. Of course, PA Works was a partner with I.G. on Moribito.

Tyabann
2011-08-28, 05:46
PA Works doing an adaptation, eh? That's new. No, True Tears doesn't count.

MisaoFan
2011-08-28, 06:07
PA Works doing an adaptation, eh? That's new. No, True Tears doesn't count.

True Tears was based on a visual novel, but the anime features a entirely different story and new characters. The other adapted title by P.A Works was Canaan, a side story of the video game 428.

Pocari_Sweat
2011-08-28, 09:49
I think it's guaranteed that this anime will get great animation and this time there is potentially a bit of insurance in that they may not stuff up as much in terms of pacing and consistency compared to their "pretty much anime-original" series since they actually have a source material to follow this time. Director doesn't really ring a bell, but since the writer is the same person who wrote the scripts for Seirei No Moribito, that is a major plus. Moribito is one my very favourite animes.

Somewhat looking forward to this, but mystery/horror is not really a genre I look for in anime. I will still check it out though. Also, at the very least it's good to see P A Works diversifying in its genres once again.

totoum
2011-08-28, 18:54
Director doesn't really ring a bell, but since the writer is the same person who wrote the scripts for Seirei No Moribito, that is a major plus. Moribito is one my very favourite animes.

Whoops,I worded my sentence badly,the guy wasn't the main screenwriter,he just helped out on six episodes.

Leo_Otaku
2011-08-28, 20:55
What ...man that sucks about the fake staff listings ;( seeing how P.A works seemed to have stepped it up a bit, I'll like to check this out anyway.

saya_leviathan
2011-08-29, 23:13
Confirmed Staff (http://www.another-anime.jp/):

Staff
Director: Mizushima Tsutomu
Series Composition & Script: Hinoki Ryo (episode script of Seirei no Moribito"")
Original Character Design: Ito Noizi
Anime Character Design: Ishii Yuriko
Sound Director: Iwanami Yoshikazu
Production Studio: P.A. Works

OVA of 'Another' To Be Released Following TV Series (http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=321167)

OVA will be released in May 2012. The TV series will start in January 2012.

Reckoner
2011-08-29, 23:38
Terrible director. My hopes just went down.

Suzuku
2011-08-30, 00:06
Mine went up. I love Mizushima, one of the most diverse directors in the industry right now.

Guardian Enzo
2011-08-30, 00:12
"Terrible" is pretty harsh for a guy who directed Oofuri, Hare Guu, and Shinryaku Ika Musume.

totoum
2011-08-30, 00:14
Terrible director. My hopes just went down.

I find his resume quite solid,just in a complete different genre than this anime :heh:

And while I've been quite disapointed in blood c,I'm more inclined to put the responsability on clamp for that.

Suzuku
2011-08-30, 01:35
Most people's problem with Blood-C is definitely the script. The direction is almost never touched upon.

Reckoner
2011-08-30, 02:29
No really. I think I've disliked just about every work this guy has done.

He's awful.

PA works continues its use of bad directors I see.

fertygo
2011-08-30, 05:35
The director is very good with adaptation material though, all of his adaptation show that I watched from him always have steady pacing.
If you don't like it, its maybe you (gonna) have problem with the original source.

Reckoner
2011-08-30, 05:38
Then he has an opportunity to prove himself with a better source material (Presumably).

Pocari_Sweat
2011-08-30, 08:13
What ...man that sucks about the fake staff listings ;( seeing how P.A works seemed to have stepped it up a bit, I'll like to check this out anyway.

Step up? I would argue they reached their peak with their debut series (True Tears) and ever since then been gradually declining. Except if a person thinks Angel Beats is actually great (which I did not). In addition, if a person has been watching Hanasaku Iroha on a weekly basis, you'll know what a rollercoaster ride it is in terms of quality :heh:.

Anyways, back on point. Having a source material though might actually help. P A has always delivered on the animation/audio front but always issues when it comes to pacing and consistency. Anime original scripts may have been a contributing factor.

totoum
2011-08-30, 11:10
Step up? I would argue they reached their peak with their debut series (True Tears) and ever since then been gradually declining. Except if a person thinks Angel Beats is actually great (which I did not).

I still consider Hanasaku Iroha a step up from Angel beats and Canaan but I think the whole discussion is a moot point because we've got a whole new staff,it's not the Ando/Okada duo again.

The inexperience of the writer worries me a bit but then again,if you've got good source material a straightforward adaptation isn't hard (for exemple the writer doing the adaptation of Usagi Drop had no writing credits beforehand)

Also this will be by far the shortest gap between project for PA works (true tears---->canaan 18 months , canaan---->angel beats 9 months , angel beats----- >hanasaku Iroha 12 months , hanasaku Iroha-------> Another 3 months )

I hope that doesn't stop them from deliveraing the usual quality animation they're known for

Arabesque
2011-08-30, 14:01
Yo acejem, you double posted :p

PA works continues its use of bad directors I see.I don't know, I mean I make fun out of Seiji Kishi a lot, but I wouldn't call him terrible or bad. Nor would I call Ando bad after Sword of the Stranger, or Hashimoto for working on Layton.

They are all great to decent directors IMO, and I think that Mizushima is certainly in the more decent range. At least, I liked the stuff he worked on.

@totoum

I don't think there is much worry, since they wouldn't be working on anything else. I mean it more of sign of better efficiency in moving from project to project than cutting down on quality right?

*watch as this becomes the worse looking show they made, and I eat my words in 3 months*

Guardian Enzo
2011-08-30, 15:01
Any opinion is valid because it's just that, an opinion. But I'd be hard-pressed to see an impartial observer look at Kamisama Dolls and say Seiji Kishi hasn't done a good job with that adaptation.

Reckoner
2011-08-30, 16:09
I don't think Kamisama Dolls is bad, he striked brilliance in episode 7 of that series. But his other series make me skeptical. If he can somehow keep delivering on that series and deliver on Persona 4, I might reconsider my opinion on him.

I think one of the directors also made Sword of the Stranger if I recall....

My only point here being is that PA works hasn't employed a stellar director yet, which is disappointing.

Raghe
2011-08-30, 16:26
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4849/newslargeanotherkey.jpg

Westlo
2011-08-30, 20:27
My only point here being is that PA works hasn't employed a stellar director yet, which is disappointing.

It's easy enough to say they should've used a "stellar" director but who would you consider stellar? Stellar directors aren't exactly falling off trees, a lot of them would have no interest in the types of shows P.A Works have done and would they have been a viable option in the first place?

Besides Seiji Kishi and Ando are definitely more than above average when it comes to directing, no one could've saved Angel Beats.... and Junji Nishimura has done quality stuff.

Suzuku
2011-08-30, 20:58
What's the criteria for a "stellar director" in the first place? That's highly subjective and the honest truth is that unless you've extensively studied camera and directing techniques it's almost impossible to distinguish directors from each other, unless they have extremely flamboyant styles that stick out like Shinbo or Ikuhara (not necessarily a good thing, subjective, etc). I think people misunderstand exactly what a director does. They have some influence over the script but in the end like 90% comes from who is ever in charge of supervising the script (series composition). Those are the people you need to be throwing pines and needles at if you're worrying about the story being told well. A director just breathes life into a script, so to speak. From that perspective, imo Mizushima is superb.

Reckoner
2011-08-30, 23:59
No I don't misunderstand what a director does. But this is one thing for sure, a director is the one who gives the final OK to anything in a production, it's his job to reign in the production and make sure it fulfills its objectives in entertainment. When a series turns out good, that's a sign of a good director.

Other areas need talent too of course, but a director is the single mos important thing to any anime production, especially if its anime original.

And yes of course determining whether a director or not is stellar is subjective. No shit. It's my opinion of course that these directors are just not that all stellar. People are free to disagree afterall.

It's easy enough to say they should've used a "stellar" director but who would you consider stellar? Stellar directors aren't exactly falling off trees, a lot of them would have no interest in the types of shows P.A Works have done and would they have been a viable option in the first place?

Besides Seiji Kishi and Ando are definitely more than above average when it comes to directing, no one could've saved Angel Beats.... and Junji Nishimura has done quality stuff.

I'm not denying what you're saying, but still, with a studio that makes so many anime originals, and has the production values it does have, you'd think a more famous and well respected director would come forth and try to create something with them. Then again, not exactly sure how they employ directors in this business.

In the end, I'll give it a fair assessment. Just saying that nothing about the director's name makes me think that I'm in for something special, ala the recent Madoka or Steins;Gate staff, but that's just me. More interested in the source material itself to garner my interest in the show.

totoum
2011-08-31, 03:53
No I don't misunderstand what a director does. But this is one thing for sure, a director is the one who gives the final OK to anything in a production, it's his job to reign in the production and make sure it fulfills its objectives in entertainment. When a series turns out good, that's a sign of a good director.

There's a reason why when creating the academy awards the awards for "best director" and "best movie" were both created.A really well directed movie can still not be great if the script is lousy.

Of course in the western movie world directors can ask for rewrites but that wasn't always the case and doesn't seem to always be the case in anime.

Then again, not exactly sure how they employ directors in this business.

It seems to vary a lot depending on the project,but concerning Angel Beats Seiji Kishi was chosen by Aniplex's producer as well as Jun Maeda, doesn't seem like PA works had much of say in the matter, though of course they still accepted to work with him.

MisaoFan
2011-08-31, 07:11
I think one of the directors also made Sword of the Stranger if I recall....

The director of Sword of the Stranger is Masahiro Ando

ninja_pintu
2011-08-31, 10:37
I am really looking forward to this anime. I hope this really is horror and not giving false impressions like Kamisama Dolls(not that I dislike it but...).

MrTerrorist
2011-09-01, 01:26
I read the manga adaptation. Very intriguing story and plot.

Can't wait for the anime.

Rebreaker
2011-09-02, 03:46
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/4533/mainalt.jpghttp://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2701/2011082721013243a.jpg

Raghe
2011-10-04, 15:33
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4808/characterpk.jpg

Kismet-chan
2011-10-04, 20:01
I like the char designs... Not much else I can say. I know I'll watch it, but at this point I can't tell if the story will be a hit or miss.

dark998
2011-10-04, 21:16
Got bored of Iroha halfway through so Angel Beats still reigns supreme as PA's crowning success. Really looking forward to Another, though.

Leo_Otaku
2011-10-04, 21:47
Step up? I would argue they reached their peak with their debut series (True Tears) and ever since then been gradually declining. Except if a person thinks Angel Beats is actually great (which I did not). In addition, if a person has been watching Hanasaku Iroha on a weekly basis, you'll know what a rollercoaster ride it is in terms of quality :heh:.

Anyways, back on point. Having a source material though might actually help. P A has always delivered on the animation/audio front but always issues when it comes to pacing and consistency. Anime original scripts may have been a contributing factor.

Stepping up meaning the studio has become bigger and has a better budget to use in their works. As before they were limited to around 1 cour rather than 2. I find their animation quality too has progressed.

Quality of works can be seen on different levels. I liked Angel Beats but I know it would have been much better given a larger length as it needed. But what I meant in stepping it up was overall production quality. Regardless if their current work was something I loved or not.

DangerMouse
2011-10-07, 02:53
Yo acejem, you double posted :p

I don't know, I mean I make fun out of Seiji Kishi a lot, but I wouldn't call him terrible or bad. Nor would I call Ando bad after Sword of the Stranger, or Hashimoto for working on Layton.

They are all great to decent directors IMO, and I think that Mizushima is certainly in the more decent range. At least, I liked the stuff he worked on.

@totoum

I don't think there is much worry, since they wouldn't be working on anything else. I mean it more of sign of better efficiency in moving from project to project than cutting down on quality right?

*watch as this becomes the worse looking show they made, and I eat my words in 3 months*

Yup, I don't get that complaint about PA Works and directors considering that Masahiro Ando is one of the best new directors in my opinion and probably my favorite new director thanks to the awesomeness of Sword of the Stranger and Cannan (and now how good a job he did on something outside of his original range in Hanasaku Iroha and that's not even a genre I particularly watch but I enjoyed what I've gotten through so far way more than usual and the visuals and direction to me is way better than usual and how well they've captured Kishida Mel's art and the feel of those designs in animation and how they should feel just like in the recent PS3 Atelier games).

So he's now done two of their four shows in Canaan and Hanasaku Iroha for this relatively new studio and he's a fantastic director.

Canaan's my favorite of their shows so far.

ukulelembo
2011-10-15, 09:33
http://i.imgur.com/Q4AAXl.jpg (http://imgur.com/Q4AAX)

Haohmaru
2011-10-16, 19:32
The characters look like generic JP highschool kids.. I guess that's what they're going for. I like mystery stories and PA works has become one of my favorite Studio's. I like a lot of what the Director has worked on as well. Wasn't a fan of Blood C though.

Pocari_Sweat
2011-10-17, 05:48
Please PA, don't botch this. I want to get rid of my custom title afterall :(

totoum
2011-10-17, 11:29
Please PA, don't botch this. I want to get rid of my custom title afterall :(

Don't worry this time around Okada isn't around to throw in all the fantasies she wasn't allowed to put in AnoHana ;)

AdamEndless9
2011-11-09, 09:50
Official site updated: http://www.another-anime.jp/

Broadcast date: January 9, 2012

Cast:
Sakakibara Koichi - Atsushi Abe
Mei Misaki - Natsumi Takamori
Sakuragi Yukari - Ai Nonaka
Akazawa Izumi - Madoka Yonezawa
Reiko - naoko sakakibara
Teshigahara - Tomoaki Maeno
Mochizuki - Kazutomi Yamamoto
Tatsuji - Hiroaki Hirata

Opening theme by Ali Project
Ending theme by Annabel

articuzwolf
2011-11-09, 10:51
cast check
air date check
op/ed check

and why we haven't got any PV/Trailer yet?

me sad.

Kakkou
2011-11-09, 11:43
Atsushi Abe, Ai Nonoka, AliPro OP, Annabel ED. Approved, approved, approved, approved. Haven't heard much from Natsmi Takamori so I'll have to see how she fares as the heroine.

The anime designs look a lot better than I expected too, if that new key visual is to go by.

Guardian Enzo
2011-11-09, 13:08
Most anticipated series of the season for me.

Kanon
2011-11-09, 17:13
There are quite a few names I'm not familiar with. Not necessarily a bad thing, I'll be able to hear some new voices for once.

Kunagisa
2011-11-09, 18:18
Mmm... I just want to apologize I might had completely misled the mystery aspect of this series. It is definitely not the traditional crime investigation + many clues type of mystery T___T. The initial review I read elsewhere was very much misleading.

This is more like The Ring + Final Destination + Chou Shoujo Reiko (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%B6%85%E5%B0%91%E5%A5%B3REIKO) + The Shining kinda.

Again, really, really sorry about the false intro, especially to Kaisos Erranon

PS: The first 300 or so pages of the book is kinda slow and just setting up, and pace didn't really start getting tight around page 400 or so (out of a 677 pages), so ... just keep that in mind, and I will probably steer clear of this thread for the duration of the anime. Accidental spoilers are probably the last things anyone want for a mystery series. Enjoy everyone and have fun speculating!!!

Soliloquy
2011-11-09, 19:31
So much good stuff about this anime, I'll definitely look out for this one.

totoum
2011-11-10, 05:13
I'm still tsundere for Ali Project,at least I know what to expect.I digg Annabel so I look forward to th ED.

Hopefully we'll get a PV soon

Rebreaker
2011-11-12, 09:36
http://i.imgur.com/0X3l2.jpg

kitten320
2011-11-12, 09:45
Well I'm definetly looking forward to this one. It has mystery, suspence and most likely ghosts in it... what else could I ask for?

Kirarakim
2011-11-12, 16:49
Cast:
Sakakibara Koichi - Atsushi Abe
Mei Misaki - Natsumi Takamori
Sakuragi Yukari - Ai Nonaka
Akazawa Izumi - Madoka Yonezawa
Reiko - naoko sakakibara
Teshigahara - Tomoaki Maeno
Mochizuki - Kazutomi Yamamoto
Tatsuji - Hiroaki Hirata

Ooh nice another role for Hiroaki Hirata :)

Kismet-chan
2011-11-12, 20:33
Opening theme by Ali Project
Ending theme by Annabel

Yessssss @ both of these. :p

This is also the most anticipated show of the season for me as well. Here's to hoping it'll pass with flying colors.

Rebreaker
2011-11-13, 01:25
http://i.imgur.com/Z8bSP.jpg

Kismet-chan
2011-11-13, 22:31
^Twintails me likey.

Tyabann
2011-11-14, 01:53
Guy on the right really looks like a HanaIro character.

dark998
2011-11-14, 02:39
This is shaping up to be the darkest PA Works project so far. My interest is piqued.

wandering-dreamer
2011-11-24, 22:53
Promo time! yI2VgaTD1wg

AdamEndless9
2011-11-24, 23:02
I just saw it.
It looks so awesome! I really like the music, animation, and designs a lot. Natsumi Takamori sounds good as Mei Misaki too.

Brimstone
2011-11-24, 23:38
Promo time! yI2VgaTD1wg

Between this and [Corpse Party] PSP game, it looks like high school horror-mystery is back :uhoh:

I heard from stuopidget the main characters from [Another] are all awesome (reliable), so this would be a real treat for me :cool:

Shadow5YA
2011-11-25, 00:26
I've read the manga adaptation, and I like what I've seen so far.

Guardian Enzo
2011-11-25, 04:58
Man, winter may look underwhelming but this one is really exciting. PA Works, Mizushima directing (and desperate to put Blood-C behind him forever) and Higaki Ryou (scripter for Seireo no Moribito) writing.

Kanon
2011-11-25, 08:49
It looks gorgeous, as expected of P.A Works. What does the girl say at the end? I cant' seem to figure it out.

Marcus H.
2011-11-25, 09:07
I think it says "See you later, Sa-ka-ki-ba-ra-kun."

Brimstone
2011-11-25, 19:57
It looks gorgeous, as expected of P.A Works. What does the girl say at the end? I cant' seem to figure it out.

Indeed, it's the name of the male protagonist, Sakakibara Koichi (Voiced by Atsushi Abe).

ukulelembo
2011-11-25, 21:13
Indeed, it's the name of the male protagonist, Sakakibara Koichi (Voiced by Atsushi Abe).
This scene:
http://i.imgur.com/qFN5Xl.png (http://i.imgur.com/qFN5X.png) http://i.imgur.com/LfK9Jl.png (http://i.imgur.com/LfK9J.png)

ars89
2011-11-25, 21:20
wow that pv looked so good, can't wait now.

Kismet-chan
2011-11-26, 03:44
Awesome PV is awesome.

Kirroha
2011-11-29, 05:30
Looks too awesome to wait for. Will check out the manga now.

Horse
2011-11-29, 06:00
The trailer left me cold so I'm surprised the general response seems so positive. "See this skippy editing and shaky cam style? Hear that unnerving 80s(??) music? Scary, isn't it? Be very afraid." It's trying too hard to make the generic (IMHO) looking characters and boring color scheme feel "freaky". A simple shot of a dead body or a bloody wall would be a more effective teaser for me than this.

Then again it is only a trailer and I'm still going to watch the first episode - how many horror shows do we get? (Gyo trailer fckin when? :|)

PS. Corpse Party was an awesome game.

Marcus H.
2011-11-29, 06:09
The trailer left me cold so I'm surprised the general response seems so positive. "See this skippy editing and shaky cam style? Hear that unnerving 80s(??) music? Scary, isn't it? Be very afraid." It's trying too hard to make the generic (IMHO) looking characters and boring color scheme feel "freaky". A simple shot of a dead body or a bloody wall would be a more effective teaser for me than this.

We can't be choosy. This isn't Ikoku Meiro no Croisée where the series has been finished before the first episode has even aired. Episode 6 of Another is probably under production only at the time when the first episode has been aired, and that's thinking optimistic.

Fevvers
2011-11-29, 08:17
I'm kinda hoping we'd get another Ghost Hound, though I doubt it (Ghost Hound's pedigree is waaaay god tier, come on). Really, really dislike the character design though; it feels like PA Works has only one character designer (now, the novel art from what little I've seen is much better for me, kind of Abe-ish which is a plus)? Ho hum.

Utsuro no Hako
2011-11-29, 12:30
I'm kinda hoping we'd get another Ghost Hound, though I doubt it (Ghost Hound's pedigree is waaaay god tier, come on). Really, really dislike the character design though; it feels like PA Works has only one character designer

Isn't this the first time Noizi Ito's designed for PA Works? (Not counting Yurippe from Angel Beats, of course.)

(now, the novel art from what little I've seen is much better for me, kind of Abe-ish which is a plus)? Ho hum.

I like Ito's designs, but after reading through the manga, I like those even more, especially Misaki and Sakakibara.

Doraneko
2011-11-29, 12:47
The prologue from the novel for those who are interested:

Introduction

... Do you know Misaki? Misaki, from Class 3 of Year Three. The story about Misaki.

Misaki... Is that a name of a person?

Yeah. I am not sure of the kanji writing. Since it could be the last name, Misaki may not necessarily be a girl. Anyhow there was a certain student called Misaki Whatever or Whatever Misaki. It was twenty-six years ago.

Twenty-six years ago... It was such a long time ago. Wasn't it the Showa Era?

1972. Or the 47th Year of Showa. The year of the Okinawa handover.

Okinawa was returned? From where?

Are you a fool? It had been occupied by the United States after the war.

I see. So that is why there is a base there.

By the way, it was also the year of the Winter Olympics in Sapporo. The year of the Asama Sansou Incident (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asama-Sans%C5%8D_incident) as well.

"Asama Sansou"?

Man... Anyway, twenty-six years ago, there was a student called Misaki in Class 3 of Year Three in our school. Do you really have no idea of this story?

Uh... wait. Wasn't that Masaki instead of Misaki? If that was so then I have heard of the story before.

Masaki? Umm... It could be so. From whom did you hear about that?

The seniors in my club.

How is the story?

I am not sure if it was twenty-six years ago or not. In the past there was someone called Masaki in Year Three. From what I have heard it seemed to be a boy. Somehow in that year in the particular class of Masaki, there was a very strange incident. Nonetheless it is a secret and I am not allowed to talk freely with the others about it. This is why this is all I can say.

Only that much?

Yeah. If one talks about it just for fun, it has been said that... something unlucky will happen. It must be, yeah, one of the the "Seven Mysteries" in our school.

Do you really think so?

Piccolo sounds from the music room during the midnight... Or a bloody hand sticking out of the lotus pond in the middle court... Maybe this story is the seventh of these mysteries.

Oh yeah, a real, beating heart in the anatomical model in the science room. Isn't it also one of those?

Indeed, indeed.

There are other mysteries as well. In fact I know nine to ten of the "Seven Mysteries" in our school. Still, as for the one about Misaki or Masaki... After all, its nature is quite different from the common Seven Mysteries.

Heh. So you know more about that?

Whatever.

Tell me then.

Is it alright if something bad happens?

That is just superstitious.

Yeah. Maybe that is true.

Then tell me about it.

Still, it is...

Pretty please! It is my greatest wish in my life!

How many time have you made such greatest wishes in your life?

Ehehe!

Man... Don't babble about it to the others.

I promise not to talk about it with anyone else.

Umm... okay then...

Hurray!

Misaki or Masaki... Anyway just make it Misaki. Misaki was a star in the class ever since year one. Excellent academic achievement, perfect in sports, great at drawing, even talented in music. On top of that Misaki was a beauty. If he had been a boy then he must have been handsome. Anyhow Misaki was a perfect person without one single defect...

Sounds nasty. Isn't it?

Nah. Misaki's personality was said to be great. Never arrogant or obnoxious and kind to everyone. With a healthy degree of casualness, Misaki was likeable by everyone, including both the students and the teachers. All in all Misaki was a popular person.

Hmph... There are people like that.

However, in year three, Misaki who was allocated to Class 3 suddenly died.

Eh!?

It was still the first semester. When Misaki was about to turn fifteen.

Why... Accident? Illness?

From what I have heard it was a plane crash. Misaki was travelling to Sapporo in a family trip. There were also rumours about other causes.

Suddenly learning about this piece of sad news, everyone in the class was at a shock.

That was understandable.

Everyone screamed, "Unbelievable!". There were even some who cried, "It must be a lie!" Many students broke down crying. Even the homeroom teacher could not utter a word. It was in such an atmosphere where someone said something. "Misaki hasn't died. See, Misaki is still here."

Pointing at the table used by Misaki, that person said, "See! Misaki is there. Misaki is really there. Misaki is alive and is right there." Immediately after, more and more student agreed with that. "That's true. Misaki hasn't died. Misaki is alive. Misaki is there."

How come?

Maybe no one was willing to believe that the star in the class had died. Maybe no one was willing to admit that. Still, it did not end like that. Even after that time, the whole class continued like that.

What do you mean?

Everyone in the class continued to pretend that Misaki was alive. It was said that even the teachers fully cooperated. "Right. Just as everyone says Misaki is not dead. At least in this classroom, Misaki is part of the class. From now on we will continue to work hard together. Let's graduate together." Something along this line.

Sounds like a good story. Although it is a bit eerie.

Eventually, everyone in Class 3 went on with their school life like that. Misaki's desk was also left as it had been. From time to time the students would chat with Misaki who was supposed to be there, play together, return home together, etc. But of course these were only a pretence. Even in the graduation ceremony, by the special permission of the headmaster there was a seat for Misaki.

Hmph... Still a good story. Maybe.

Yeah. Basically it is kind of a heartwarming tale. Except in the end there was a chilly twist.

Eh? What was that?

After the graduation ceremony, there was a commemorative shot taken in the classroom. Later, upon looking at the processed photo, everyone realized something was wrong. At the corner of the group photo, Misaki, who shouldn't be there was shown. With a face as white as a corpse, Misaki was smiling like everyone else...

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8646/1288029595zfea278e5.jpg

Brimstone
2011-11-29, 18:00
(now, the novel art from what little I've seen is much better for me, kind of Abe-ish which is a plus)? Ho hum.

I would call it 'gritty' (above) which I'm not entirely against.

But you can't beat Noizi Ito.

Raiga
2011-11-29, 19:03

Speaking of which... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seito_Sakakibara)

Hmmm...

Misdreavius
2011-12-01, 05:43
Speaking of which... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seito_Sakakibara)

Hmmm...

Definitely not a coincidence.

Brimstone
2011-12-01, 05:45
Definitely not a coincidence.

Wouldn't it depends on how (un)common that name is :heh: ?

MrTerrorist
2011-12-04, 19:39
Maka Maka, Sugar Dark, Another Manga End in Japan (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-12-04/maka-maka-sugar-dark-another-manga-end-in-japan)

I'll think i'll stop reading the manga so i won't expect anything from watching the anime.

Kunagisa
2011-12-10, 00:23
12tJBLJ9uQA

Lol Ali Project.

Marcus H.
2011-12-10, 00:30
I really don't get those songs from Ali Project. The notes are like the circuits used in Initial D. :eyespin:

Chaos2Frozen
2011-12-10, 02:31
Wow, Atsushi Abe doesn't sound like himself, the voice he's using is alot softer...

Tyabann
2011-12-10, 03:12
Absurdly enormous foreheads: the anime.

Kismet-chan
2011-12-10, 05:57
12tJBLJ9uQA

Lol Ali Project.

I'm surprised, I actually liked the song right off the bat (I'm an AliPro fan, but their recent work will often taken me quite a few listens to begin to like it; that or it just completely turns me off). Although it's not as catchy as I would like...

Really liked the PV as a whole. Can't wait for this show to come out.

Also, looking forward to hearing annabel's song.

ars89
2011-12-19, 21:38
new cm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dqx2sl3d0HU

Ravenblitz
2011-12-23, 05:46
http://i.imgur.com/aWKG5l.jpg (http://imgur.com/aWKG5)

Cosmic Eagle
2011-12-24, 20:07
PA Works doing this?

Hell yeah

pinoscotto
2011-12-27, 06:10
is it confirmed to be 12 epidodes long?

Chaos2Frozen
2011-12-27, 06:59
is it confirmed to be 12 epidodes long?

There are only 2 volumes of the Light Novel in total so yeah it's pretty much confirmed to be 1 cour only.

Kismet-chan
2012-01-04, 09:57
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/396934_303073843068848_261344713908428_938765_5942 21663_n.jpg

Utsuro no Hako
2012-01-04, 10:49
^ You know, Japan, sometimes it's okay for a character not to be sexy.

Arya
2012-01-04, 12:16
Looks promising!! The art style is really cool. I hope something nice from the story too. No blood-C, please :)
With this high school setting, may I expect some romance too?

Doraneko
2012-01-04, 15:12

Seems like Japan has considered your views:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/5272/file16233.jpg

Utsuro no Hako
2012-01-04, 16:59
Chibi Misaki is even worse.

I'm now imagining a KyoAni production of Ringu with a moe Sadako.

Chaos2Frozen
2012-01-04, 20:38

LIES!!!

Check out those ball-joints and tell me you still feel the same way!

With this high school setting, may I expect some romance too?

It's not that kind of ghost story...:uhoh:

zeniselv
2012-01-05, 00:04

i dont think that applies sonly to japan thoug...
LIES!!!

Check out those ball-joints and tell me you still feel the same way!
that did wonders with rozen maiden.

anyway after seeing the pv the animation and character designs scream jc staff to me, specially similar to yumekui merry.

fertygo
2012-01-05, 00:26

That's spread from Megami (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) What do you expect?
At least she still wearing full clothes lol.

Kismet-chan
2012-01-05, 12:08
I'm confused, I don't see what's even relatively sexy about it. She's fully clothed, her skirt isn't abnormally short or anything, and she's lying down in a non-suggestive pose... Where is the sex appeal in that image? :confused:

Chaos2Frozen
2012-01-05, 21:16
I'm confused, I don't see what's even relatively sexy about it. She's fully clothed, her skirt isn't abnormally short or anything, and she's lying down in a non-suggestive pose... Where is the sex appeal in that image? :confused:

Exposed thighs.

What? A non-suggestive lying down pose? Never heard of it... :p

brocko
2012-01-05, 22:10
She's actually sitting in a chair...

but you can pretend you never read that if it wrecks w/e fantasy you may or may not have had in mind lol :heh:

Marcus H.
2012-01-05, 22:21
Exposed thighs.

That was only FIVE PERCENT of the picture, though.

Utsuro no Hako
2012-01-05, 23:21

Go out immediately and buy every album you can find by the Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy and Switchblade Symphony. Listen to them non-stop for five days. Then look at the picture again.

Chaos2Frozen
2012-01-05, 23:25
She's actually sitting in a chair...

Doesn't change a thing.

That was only FIVE PERCENT of the picture, though.

Doesn't change a thing :p

Marcus H.
2012-01-06, 00:28
^ Unless you actually wanted NINETY-FIVE PERCENT... :uhoh:

Chaos2Frozen
2012-01-06, 00:37
Well some times less is more ;)

Kismet-chan
2012-01-06, 00:53
Exposed thighs.

...And? Just because someone can see a girl's thighs that doesn't automatically make her sexy/mean that's she trying to be sexy. Unless you're just kidding/being sarcastic and I'm just taking this too seriously, lol.

darkworld
2012-01-06, 05:47
what's wrong with director? xxxhotic, genshiken, kobato. better change all your mind.

AdamEndless9
2012-01-06, 16:59
Crunchyroll Adds Mystery-Horror Anime "Another" To Winter Lineup (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/01/06-1/crunchyroll-adds-mystery-horror-anime-another-to-winter-lineup)

leokiko
2012-01-07, 00:08
THIS character design for an HORROR/SUSPENSE anime?

It's doubtful.

Well, Higurashi was doubtful at first as well but delivered in the end so I would say I have moderate expectations.

This scene:
http://i.imgur.com/qFN5Xl.png (http://i.imgur.com/qFN5X.png) http://i.imgur.com/LfK9Jl.png (http://i.imgur.com/LfK9J.png)

This looks so awesome O.O(looks way better than the character designs from the anime).

AnimeUltimate
2012-01-07, 03:30
what's wrong with director? xxxhotic, genshiken, kobato. better change all your mind.

Tsutomu Mizushima hasn't directed Kobato., he's just participed as a series scriptwritter. It's Mitsuyuki Masuhara who's in charge of direction.

Cosmic Eagle
2012-01-07, 08:43

Why....? This is quite okay for an anime already....

Big difference usually between books/games and animation in terms of art.

Chaos2Frozen
2012-01-07, 09:01

It's doubtful.

...What is with this mentality that characters can't look good in horror shows :eyebrow: ?

Have you not seen the last few movies we had?! Or even the classics?! They're always filled with beautiful people!

Scarletknive
2012-01-07, 09:50
Between this and [Corpse Party] PSP game, it looks like high school horror-mystery is back :uhoh:

I heard from stuopidget the main characters from [Another] are all awesome (reliable), so this would be a real treat for me :cool:

I already cant stand Corpse Party already...it is too bad for my heart at some times. :upset: If this one turns out to be more horrific than Corpse Party, I think I will start becoming sleepless man...:upset: :(

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/396934_303073843068848_261344713908428_938765_5942 21663_n.jpg

Hmm...red eyes, black hair...Noire(Dog Days)?(MINUS THE EYEPATCH!!!)
I can't be saying Azunyan and *insert Saintess' waifu here*.

leokiko
2012-01-07, 11:24
...What is with this mentality that characters can't look good in horror shows :eyebrow: ?

Have you not seen the last few movies we had?! Or even the classics?! They're always filled with beautiful people!
Older animes always have darker atmosphere than this clean animation. Just compare the original HxH to the 2011 one.
Why....? This is quite okay for an anime already....

Big difference usually between books/games and animation in terms of art.

Horror in anime doesn't work for me, I hope ''Another'' changes that, but it's highly unlikely.

Utsuro no Hako
2012-01-07, 11:32
Older animes always have darker atmosphere than this clean animation. Just compare the original HxH to the 2011 one.

Have you watched the PVs? I agree the manga has better character designs, but what's been released from this show does not look clean and bright.

Scarletknive
2012-01-07, 12:05
Horror in anime doesn't work for me, I hope ''Another'' changes that, but it's highly unlikely.

I wonder what if Corpse Party is an anime instead...:uhoh:

Cosmic Eagle
2012-01-07, 12:43

I see...is it anime only or manga/novels and games as well?

leokiko
2012-01-07, 13:55
Have you watched the PVs? I agree the manga has better character designs, but what's been released from this show does not look clean and bright.

What I saw was scary music and tense atmosphere, like something is going on and he didn't know. This will be more like a mystery than horror(of course, it's just speculation).

And it's my honest opinion: horror barely works on anime.
I see...is it anime only or manga/novels and games as well?

Well, I can't give you an honest opinion on other media, since I never read an horror manga/novel and only played a few horror games.

I wonder what if Corpse Party is an anime instead...:uhoh:
It's an psp game right? Is it really that scary?:eyebrow:

Utsuro no Hako
2012-01-07, 15:19
What I saw was scary music and tense atmosphere, like something is going on and he didn't know. This will be more like a mystery than horror(of course, it's just speculation).

Apart from mindless slashers, most horror stories are like that. Based upon the manga, without giving any spoilers, I'd say this will be as much horror as Ringu, Ju-on or Dark Water. Actually, the closest comparison I can think of is the original version of The Omen.

Miraluka
2012-01-07, 22:20
Hmm...red eyes, black hair...Noire(Dog Days)?(MINUS THE EYEPATCH!!!)
I can't be saying Azunyan and *insert Saintess' waifu here*.
And don't forget the nekomimi.

I'm curious about this show, I hope this will turn for a good series.

Scarletknive
2012-01-08, 01:29
And don't forget the nekomimi.

I'm curious about this show, I hope this will turn for a good series.

Who is that nekomimi?

Ravenblitz
2012-01-08, 05:58
http://i.imgur.com/nS5dql.jpg (http://imgur.com/nS5dq)

Chaos2Frozen
2012-01-08, 06:01
http://i.imgur.com/nS5dql.jpg (http://imgur.com/nS5dq)

God damnit, why can't they use simpler Kanji for the character chart :eyespin:

Oh look a cute lonely girl, this can't possibly go wrong...!

fertygo
2012-01-08, 06:08
God... She so pale. Take some vitamins, son.

Scarletknive
2012-01-08, 08:52
God... She so pale. Take some vitamins, son.

She is supposed to be "dead".:heh: (Hey it is not a spoiler to the manga, got it from summary)

haguruma
2012-01-08, 19:25
Actually, the closest comparison I can think of is the original version of The Omen.
Which is funny, because one of the characters in the book actually asks Sakakibara if he knows that 1970's American horror movie "The Omen"...I'd really wish they'd leave it in there, but they already cut all the references to Stephen King and several other 70's, 80's and 90's horror works from the manga script, so I assume they will do the same here. Copyrights or something like that...

Don't worry it's not a spoiler to the plot and it probably won't be in the anime anyway as it was cut in the manga already, Ayatsuji just likes to reveal what a huge amount of reference material he knows :heh:

Miraluka
2012-01-09, 11:50
Who is that nekomimi?

Noir... =_=.

Cosmic Eagle
2012-01-09, 12:26
Shouldn't this be shifted to current already? Seeing how it's already aired

Haak
2012-01-09, 13:26
Episode 1

I really hate that opening song. It's the most narmish song I could possibily think of for a story like that. It's like it's trying to be appropriate but fails spectacularly.

As for the episode, it was great. The art and the music really set the tone very well. And that is definitely the creepiest class I have ever seen. I can't wait to find out the mystery but I can only assume at this point that the MC was somehow involved with Misaki's death during his visit there previously when he was a kid. I wonder what that handshake was all about though. Apparently the girl could tell from his handshake that he'd been there previously.

Miraluka
2012-01-09, 13:56
JDQ_p39GH5I

I can't believe I missed Ali Project after this time :heh:, I guess thast because I heard so many horrible songs these previous seasons:uhoh:.

Utsuro no Hako
2012-01-09, 13:57
I can't wait to find out the mystery but I can only assume at this point that the MC was somehow involved with Misaki's death during his visit there previously when he was a kid.

Misaki died before Sakakibara was even born.

Haak
2012-01-09, 14:01
Misaki died before Sakakibara was even born.

Oh I see. That "26 years ago" bit just flew by my ear completely. :heh:

Okay then: I'm guessing his dad was involved. Everyone in his class seems to know about his dad.

Miraluka
2012-01-09, 14:08
"Your father killed me so I'll torture you".

LOL, talking about twisted logic.

Grim_Reaper
2012-01-09, 15:20
I really liked director's work. Overall I'm intrigued; can't wait to see next episodes.

Miraluka
2012-01-09, 15:32
YP0y-Jjb38Y
The anime OP.

Horse
2012-01-09, 15:35
Was prepared for the worst and I ended up loving it. :D Should be a keeper for teh J-Horror fans.

PS. I still think the main duo have the least interesting designs though, lol.

ukulelembo
2012-01-09, 15:37
OP:
sCWuP2lf1ZQ

ED:
meP6FMm9fU0

Silvance
2012-01-09, 15:42
Is it just me or Ali Project doesn't have much versatility? Each of their songs sounds so much alike. I meant no harm by the way. I just want to confirm if my ears needs to be checked. XD

Anyway, episode one was truly captivating. It's been a while since an anime gave me goosebumps. The entire atmosphere in that class is so suffocating and creepy. The music is well done since it really amplifies the fear from the viewers during those really strange moments.

What a cheerful class. Nothing abnormal around here, alright. :3

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz245/Fate_T_Harlaown/1326138024457.jpg

This show is definitely a keeper. I hope they keep it up.

viperdk1
2012-01-09, 15:46
Chilling doesn't quite fit - it's so much more than that. By all means, everything about it (barring the ED song - though I guess it can't be all dreary all the time, right? :heh:) sets up this really eerie tone that fits so well with the anime on the whole.

Contrary to some, I quite like the OP song - some may see it as narmish, but it, along with the stunning animation work from PA, seems to drag you into the atmosphere of the anime long before it settles in and really starts screwing with your head :heh:

I was intrigued by this series the moment I saw the summary - and it seems I was right on the money to think that way.

Why did Mei say that Koichi Sakakibara's name was associated with death? Were his classmates really so afraid of him when he first entered the school? Just what is with Mei's left eye - why would it be covered up? What was with that 'twitch' from Sakuragi literally after Koichi mentioned Mei?

I don't quite follow everything just yet - but maybe that's the point, at the moment.

Is it just me or Ali Project doesn't have much versatility? Each of their songs sounds so much a like. I meant no harm by the way. I just want to confirm if my ears needs to be checked. XD

I'd say you're probably right - though if it sells over in Japan...to quote the old phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :heh:

LKK
2012-01-09, 15:47
I was impressed by the scenery detailing. The slightly unkempt schoolyard, the rust on the roof railings were 2 of the details that stood out for me. That attention to detail bodes well for the show. If they keep up with such minute detailing, this could be a visual winner for creepy atmosphere.

ETA: Another detail that just came to mind. Although I hear it's not uncommon for Japanese hospitals to not have a labeled 4th floor, the fact that the elevator buttons did not include a button for the 4th floor shows the town is highly aware of the superstitions around the number 4. (If you don't know, the Japanese don't like to use the formal word for 4 because it sounds too much like their word for death. That's why some hotels and hospitals don't have a labeled 4th floor. Similar to how many Western buildings don't have a labeled 13th floor.)

Silvance
2012-01-09, 15:57
I'd say you're probably right - though if it sells over in Japan...to quote the old phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :heh:

Oh good. I guess I don't have to see a specialist then. XD

Also, I tried watching the opening without the sounds... It suddenly became my favorite opening for this season. It's so freaky, man. Maybe the thunderstorm outside and my dark room improved it even more. :3

(If you don't know, the Japanese don't like to use the formal word for 4 because it sounds too much like their word for death. That's why some hotels and hospitals don't have a labeled 4th floor. Similar to how many Western buildings don't have a labeled 13th floor.)

Well that's really interesting. I've always wondered why I never hear anyone say "Shi."

Miraluka
2012-01-09, 16:02
What a cheerful class. Nothing abnormal around here, alright. :3

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz245/Fate_T_Harlaown/1326138024457.jpg
Ha, its just their faces after a surprise test.

DXMichael
2012-01-09, 16:32
Hmm...the anime does have some kind of creepy vibe to it, but it doesn't want to make me cringe up or curl into a ball, nothing like that. It actually keeps me more focused on the anime itself and makes me take a closer look at the things they say, do and the things around them. Oh, and the opening is waayyy to cheerful.

I had my suspicions near the start when Kouchi was in the hospital bed and he was visited by three of his classmates. They seemed very uncomfortable saying his last name to the point that they requested being allowed to say his first name. Sakakibara, a name which Mei Misaki says is related to a terrible death that happened.

At the very start, we are given some images and dialogue. We are given the name Misaki from 9th grade and class 3 and that the event happened 26 years ago. This could mean some things. Either Kouchi is in the present day telling a story that happened 26 years ago involving Mei Misaki, or someone related to Mei Misaki was the one that was involved in the horrible death 26 years ago and the present day is now Mei Misaki and Kouchi in school together. Other explanation could be paranormal, undead, or just maybe even an illusion created by everyone in the class, lets not forget that all the students acted as if she was still alive and still in the class.

An image of a knife on the floor covered in blood shows up. This may perhaps be the reason Mei Misaki wears an eyepatch. Another image we see is an elevator, which looks pretty similar to the one Mei and Kouchi was in when they were in the hospital. In that scene, Mei says "My poor other half is waiting for me there" and goes to the Basement level 2 which is the Morgue. Note that she also said she was there to deliver something and she had a doll in her hand.

The class seem pretty obediant and quiet during lesson, even the teachers are serious. But when class is over, they act like any normal class would, with the anime going from shot to shot of the classmates, but they appear to be submissioned into fear on not mentioning Mei Misaki.

These are just clues i've seen, anyone is free to question or correct me :p

Overall, an interesting first episode. I would want to get more interested in the characters in the future episodes as not much was seen from them.

Hiroi Sekai
2012-01-09, 16:33
Not bad, not bad at all. This was supposed to be my extra series of the season that I wouldn't write on but watch nonetheless, but it looks like I picked up a few more without thinking.

Anyways, I like the direction this show is going, and 12 episodes seems like a good length for something like this. I'm personally not a fan of ALI PROJECT, but I did enjoy the ending theme myself. Aside from that, the atmosphere is quite good and I'm interested in seeing where this will lead.

Candyshark
2012-01-09, 16:41
heh 3 rows of girls 2 of guys besides that guy in the back. What starts to disturb me in PA works animation they are like CLAMP everybody loks too attractive. I knwo wierd aspect to pick on but part of me wishes to see few blander character here and there.

Wandering_Youth
2012-01-09, 17:07
Hmm, a creepy town, creepy school, school faculty and classmates that are very suspicious...

I initially never knew of this anime till I was bored and looked up the description for it. Now I'm hooked because of the mystery, gloom and doom atmosphere.

This is anime is such a contrast to most of the previous anime that I recently watched so it's a nice change.

I'm expecting heads and limps to go flying at some point in this anime or at least gory death scenes.

Ray
2012-01-09, 17:12
Gah, I want moar. I love the eerie atmosphere that was present throughout the episode.

Design-wise, the MC reminds me of Satoshi from Corpse Party. I seriously hope that this will be the only parallel I will be able to draw between these two horror stories.

Shear666
2012-01-09, 17:29
... as much as I enjoyed the first Episode I will murder the Guy who thought that opening Song was a good Idea :eyebrow:

Kanon
2012-01-09, 17:46
What a fascinating first episode! Most definitely my favorite this season alongside Nisemonogatari's.

As has already been said, the atmosphere was positively creepy and oppressive. I was particularly impressed with the musical direction, the BGMs not only sounded beautiful, they fit the tone of the series perfectly and as a matter of fact largely contribute to it. That is good use of music right there.
Too bad they weren't as inspired when they chose who would perform the Opening song. It's completely out of place. You could replace it with any other song (that isn't an Ali project song, that is - otherwise you wouldn't notice a difference) and it would fit better.

I enjoyed the directing as well. The scene where several people are talking to Kouichi stood out for me. I loved how we got to see what everybody else in the classroom was doing. A lot of other series would have simply focused on the small group gathered around Kouichi, resulting in a static and boring sequence.

Moving on to the plot. We don't have much to go on yet, a girl named Misaki Mei was killed 26 years ago (but 26 years from when? 1998?), however, a girl by the same name roams the school. Said school looking horribly shabby (rust EVERYWHERE). The classmates are friendly on the surface -at least some of them are- but are obviously trying to hide something. The biggest mystery right now is whether she's a ghost/zombie/whatever supernatural stuff allows a dead girl to walk or a girl pretending to be Misaki for some obscure reason.

Dop
2012-01-09, 17:53
This looks promising, I loved the whole creepy and unnerving atmosphere that the show created. That dilapidated look to the setting, and I also noticed the missing fourth floor in the hospital and realised why it was missing.

The atmosphere of this show does give me hope for a more suspenseful kind of horror story rather than just splashing around the ol' claret.

TurkeyPotPie
2012-01-09, 18:07
Interesting first episode, but I didn't quite get the creepy feeling of impending dread I was expecting (and hoping for). Still a good setup. I knew almost nothing about this show going in, so when I saw Koichi's cellphone I was like WTF? What an old school phone. :heh:

So this is only one cour? A pity, it would be nice to get a longer horror show.

Utsuro no Hako
2012-01-09, 18:59
That was the first time in a while where I got to the end of an episode and was surprised it was over already. They got through a good bit of the manga while still maintaining a slow, creepy vibe. Hopefully they can maintain that pace for the rest of the series.

I'm still not sold on the Noizi Itou designs. The secondary characters look fine, but Sakakibara and Misaki look so much better in the manga. The rest of the animation is excellent, as expected from PA Works. It's nice to see them give us a setting that's run-down and bleak for a change.

The OP ... well, at least it's better than Ghosthunt. When the ED started, I thought for a moment that it was Amagami SS, but as it went on it reminded me more of Angel Beats.

My only major complaint is that over the last couple seasons I've gotten used to watching a light comedies -- Yuru Yuri, Squid Girl -- with dinner on Mondays. This creates a completely different mood.

DezoPenguin
2012-01-09, 19:03
Excellent first episode. If Bodacious Space Pirates is the "damn, I had no idea it was going to be this good" show of the season, then Another is the "just as excellent as I expected it was going to be." At least from the first episode. It's not particularly scary, per se, but there's an excellent sense of atmosphere as everyone else has already mentioned, and so many hints are dropped just by looking around here and there (Sakakibara's mother's absence (and why his dad left the country, and what his grandfather had to say...)? What his aunt said about following the rules? The existence of a class officer for "countermeasures"? What it is the kids aren't saying about the significance of his last name? What the teacher said about everyone graduating in good health? Why Mei's desk is so battered and scratched? Even that one girl's injured ankle... And none of that even touches directly on the conversations Kouichi had with Mei.) that I'm eager to delve deeper into Yomiyama's mysteries...

As everyone else has mentioned, though, that Ali Project OP is completely awful. It's not a good song generally, and the bouncy pop melody is utterly alien to both the teaser sequence before it and the show after it. The imagery during the opening scenes was quite nice, though.

Mentar
2012-01-09, 19:04
Picture me surprised by the overall positive reception here. Around the 6 minute mark I simply gave up. The usual Ali Project howling weakened my defenses, but when a total of 6 characters where shown, and every single one of them managed to somehow annoy me, I aborted.

Then again, old supposedly creepy legends put me to sleep sooner than anything else. So please scout the way ahead for me, and if some friends convince me that some great story lies behind all this, I'll probably give it a second chance. But for now, not. Pity for the pretty backgrounds.

Arya
2012-01-09, 19:04
Nice first episode. The pacing fits perfectly with the oppressive atmosphere and the detailed animation. Remarkable animation, I'd say.
I also noticed the missing 4th floor button, but didn't know why. So thanks to LKK for explanation.

right now nothing could be said, anyways at first I had the impression that the MC was the only one who could see Mei, but now I'm not sure. The prologue talked about a girl dead 26 year before. Before middle ninety's looking at that phone :) So, after her death the class lived as she wasn't dead until graduation, then ... i thought for some reason they repeated that behavior over and over again. But now i'not sure, she looks real.

Ah, did something suspicious happen with the three "welcome" schoolmates? I mean one girl with the bandage ankle, the second absent :confused: :heh:

Zakoo
2012-01-09, 19:05
Holy crap, it's 1 am here, it's dark, the anime doesn't seem to have any loli to excite me.

In short, it makes me shit my pants, WHERE THE HELL IS THAT DAMN FLOOR 4?
No I won't be able to keep it up, it's worse than Higurashi, my heart will explode before the anime ends.

AzureWrath
2012-01-09, 19:18
Four is pronounced similar to death in Chinese so some buildings don't have a 4th floor because it is associated with death (it is a superstition kind of thing).

Now this might have already been mentioned, but what does our MC's (Sakakaibara or so?) name mean? Does it give any insight into the plot?

Zakoo
2012-01-09, 19:20
Man, it was such a reason? Shi and Shinu? The camera was centered so much between the passage 5=>3 I thought there was some plot.

LKK
2012-01-09, 19:26
Man, it was such a reason? Shi and Shinu? The camera was centered so much between the passage 5=>3 I thought there was some plot.
I don't think the missing #4 elevator button was a plot point so much as an atmospheric touch. Meant to add to the creepiness factor rather than to indicate some weird and possibly sinister happenings on the "nonexistent" 4th floor. (If there weren't such a standing superstition in Japan about the number 4, that would have been my explanation for a missing floor.)

White Manju Bun
2012-01-09, 19:57
Dear gawd I want more!!! Fabulous first epi!! Loved the vibe, loved the atmosphere. Hated the quick inserted doll screens :heh: Also wasnt thrilled with Ali Project's OP...a bit too...fast and Ali Projecty.

Why didnt they show his grandmother?? You hear her voice but didnt see her. Dunno why but I found that really weird.

ars89
2012-01-09, 20:12
So i wonder how Kouchi's last name is related to a horrible death. Could it be his mother? They never mentioned how she passed away, but just that it was bad. Like how the 3 classmates welcomed him, that was so awkward.

Lol what a boring class to walk into. So the class rep forgot his name made sure to switch topics and keep Kouchi occupied after he was staring at Mei's desk. Even the girl got super worried after Kouchi mentioned Mei. Wonder why Akazawa would be mad?

Lol even Mei tells him not to get close to her. Doesn't she know that's a total invite. So she was delivering a doll to her corpse? I wonder what she was drawing as well. So she's probably a wandering spirit or ghost. Really liked the ED, OP was alright.

Chaos2Frozen
2012-01-09, 20:12
From the Promo Video I thought PA Works would be using a grainy effect of older horror series, but to my surprise everything looks beautiful, from the scenery porn to the character designs this could easily be the prettiest thing I'm watching this season.

(The doll flashes were the most disturbing element and a nice touch I would add.)

Now on to the story, for an introductory episode it did everything perfect, from introducing all the characters, to laying the ground work for the back story, as well as leaving that little hint in every scene that something dark is hidden just behind every corners and every conversation. Don't need to beat around the bush- we know she's died so it's not like this is going to be [Sixth Sense], but what else have they not told us?

...Actually, wouldn't it be a cool plot-twist if Mel was actually a living person and not a ghost :twitch: ? And the rest of the class were just screwed up?

Oh yeah, if I didn't do my research I wouldn't have figured that the same VA as Kamijou Touma, Mashiro Moritaka and Kosuda Takashi was voicing Sakakibara :twitch: That's a completely different voice than his other roles :eyespin:

Lol even Mei tells him not to get close to her. Doesn't she know that's a total invite. So she was delivering a doll to her corpse? I wonder what she was drawing as well. Really liked the ED, OP was alright.

Lol yeah, a cute girl telling a not to get close? Like hell he would listen :p

Marcus H.
2012-01-09, 20:38
Wow, the episodes has a lot of conspiracies going on.

The teachers "briefing" the class about Kouichi.
The dreary response to Kouichi's introduction.
Several attempts to divert the topic away from Misaki Mei.

It's like the school is filled with dolls moved around by hidden strings.

The feel of the setting really helps with the overall creepiness of the episode. Not to mention that the weather was dark when I was watching this episode. And after finishing the episode, the sun began to appear again.

What is this, yet another conspiracy? :uhoh:

And I think the both the OP and ED does not mix well with the feel of the series.

Chaos2Frozen
2012-01-09, 20:49
And I think the both the OP and ED does not mix well with the feel of the series.

The ED gives a sense of hope that there will be a (relatively) happy ending for this story, so I have no problem with it.

I never liked Ali Project to begin with so I had zero expectations for it.

Haak
2012-01-09, 20:55
You know what the teacher said about everyone graduating in good health? I couldn't help but notice that health (or rather the lack of health) seems to be prevalent. The MC had a collapsed lung. The twintails girl was off sick. The freckles guy had a heart condition. Glasses girl had a sprained ankle.. Some of those students looked really pale. The building looks really worn down. And finally there's Misaki and that eye patch. There seems to be a curse going on.

Kirarakim
2012-01-09, 21:01
Oh that was wonderfully creepy. I just hope they can keep up the atmosphere and mystery throughout the run.

I also don't like the OP & ED but everything else about the episode was perfect. Although I do agree with Utsuro no Hako that I much prefer the manga designs (but isn't that always the case?)

Anyways I especially loved how Mei said Sakakibara at the end pronouncing each syllable.

Lumir
2012-01-09, 21:10
Silent hill vibes from this one. Specially with that dark haired little girl and the "death" situation.

Hints as to what she was doing in either the boiler room/mechanical room/morg suggests it holds significance. As well as the dolls, the one she was holding was probably her delivery to her "other poor self" as she said.

I also noted that multiple children seem to have health issues.

An interesting watch, will fallow.

Marcus H.
2012-01-09, 21:10
You know what the teacher said about everyone graduating in good health? I couldn't help but notice that health (or rather the lack of health) seems to be prevalent. The MC had a collapsed lung. The twintails girl was off sick. The freckles guy had a heart condition. Glasses girl had a sprained ankle.. Some of those students looked really pale. The building looks really worn down. And finally there's Misaki and that eye patch. There seems to be a curse going on.

Yomiyama North Middle School confirmed for Yamaku High School counterpart? :p

White Manju Bun
2012-01-09, 21:19

That part stood out to me as well and with what Mei said about Class 3 and death it makes sense the teachers would say that.

Kirarakim
2012-01-09, 21:31
I don't think the missing #4 elevator button was a plot point so much as an atmospheric touch. Meant to add to the creepiness factor rather than to indicate some weird and possibly sinister happenings on the "nonexistent" 4th floor. (If there weren't such a standing superstition in Japan about the number 4, that would have been my explanation for a missing floor.)

Is it the same thing as the missing 13th floor on most buildings in the US (not sure about other places).

Although admittedly I never got this because you are still on the 13th (or 4th floor) no matter what you name it.

LKK
2012-01-09, 21:46
Is it the same thing as the missing 13th floor on most buildings in the US (not sure about other places).

Although admittedly I never got this because you are still on the 13th (or 4th floor) no matter what you name it.
Yeah, same thing as in the US. I never understood that floor superstition either. Like you said, there's still a 13th floor if you have at least one more than 12 floors regardless of what you call it.

From what I understand though, the Japanese are even more serious about the number 4 superstition than we are about the number 13. Some Japanese won't even say the proper name word for the number 4. They have some substitute word they use instead. Furthermore, if they hear you say it to them, they get upset. (That's the story I got second-hand from someone it happened to.)

Volcanic
2012-01-09, 21:57
For those wondering about how Kouichi's name could be connected with death: it's highly likely a reference to Seito Sakakibara/the Kobe Serial Child Murder Incident. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seito_Sakakibara) I'm really excited to see where they go, there.

Marcus H.
2012-01-09, 22:03
That Sakakibara incident happened between March and May 1997.
It's one year too early, unless certain liberties were done by the author.

totoum
2012-01-09, 22:08
That Sakakibara incident happened between March and May 1997.
It's one year too early, unless certain liberties were done by the author.

The original novel was released in 1998 (that's why it's set in that year) so the writer started writing it shortly after the incident and when it was first released the incident and name were still probably fresh in japanese readers' minds so they could themselves make the connection.

Marcus H.
2012-01-09, 22:10
I thought it was set in 1996. Oh, lol. :eyespin:

Scarletknive
2012-01-09, 22:44
Noir... =_=.

I did mention that nekomimi in my post

Flower
2012-01-09, 22:49
Wow ... very effective with the mood, the animation, the VA'ing and the music ... very, very effective. Just very well done, downright eerie and well told story. At least so far.

I am impressed. And I generally do not like "horror" type stories. 8 of 10 vote for me for this ep. Very well done without being "artsy" or "pretentious".

This one looks like a keeper for now. :)

Chaos2Frozen
2012-01-09, 22:54
Wow ... very effective with the mood, the animation, the VA'ing and the music ... very, very effective. Just very well done, downright eerie and well told story. At least so far.

I am impressed. And I generally do not like "horror" type stories. 8 of 10 vote for me for this ep. Very well done without being "artsy" or "pretentious".

I find that it's not so much of the 'horror', but the mystery behind the horror that I'm attracted to ;) And it's not only for this show...

Flower
2012-01-09, 22:57
I find that it's not so much of the 'horror', but the mystery behind the horror that I'm attracted to ;) And it's not only for this show...

Well - to be honest I am not much of a fan of "mystery" in general either.

But this seems to me to be a very well told story for the moment.

Triple_R
2012-01-09, 23:40

I couldn't agree more with everything that you wrote. I'm totally on the same page with you on everything here, except I'd rate the episode 9/10 (but then I'm an easier rater than many :heh: ).

Like yourself, I'm generally not into "horror" type stories, but this anime does it with such intrigue, mystery, style, and class, that I just can't help but to love it.

Another is thus far delivering everything I could possibly have hoped for from this anime given how it promoted itself.

Of the Winter 2012 anime premiers I've watched so far (and there's now a few of them), this is my favorite.

A couple notes:

1. Loved how the "transfer student" trope was somewhat subverted here. We had actual normal conversations where the transfer student in question addresses each other student in turn. The irony here is that this subversion gives us normalcy which in turn likely masks some horrible secrets.

2. I'm pleased with how this is horror/mystery played straight. Ookami Kakushi mixed in a lot of harem hijinks and the like, which I felt often caused that anime to fail to have an effective horror/mystery atmosphere. Another thankfully takes the opposite approach. By keeping dialogue and character interactions very "down to Earth" overall, Another makes the creepier parts stand out more against the backdrop of that normalcy.

serenade_beta
2012-01-10, 00:38
Hassaku~ Hassaku~

And so, he "transferred"...

In the meantime, AliPro's OP sucked bad.
I wonder if this season's theme is bad OPs...

Wandering_Youth
2012-01-10, 00:42
Four is pronounced similar to death in Chinese so some buildings don't have a 4th floor because it is associated with death (it is a superstition kind of thing).

Now this might have already been mentioned, but what does our MC's (Sakakaibara or so?) name mean? Does it give any insight into the plot?
Aha, I always wonder why my parents told me it was bad luck to give 4 offerings to my deceased ancestors instead of 3. It's pronouced the same, but the word/character is different.

RegalStar
2012-01-10, 00:49
The OP is ear-poisoning. Story looks like it's worth following, though.

Flawfinder
2012-01-10, 00:52
Seems okay. Will need to watch more to see how it goes, but the first episode has got me hooked.

Guido
2012-01-10, 01:01
The promotional art for Another immediately drew me inside the world of the novel for the upcoming anime, and what was my surprise that I recently found out that the novels were written by the husband to Fuyumi Ono, author to the Ghost Hunt and The Twelve Kingdoms novels.

My reactions for the first episode were just simply impressive because the narrative and the storyline clearly exploit the ghost story elements, and the visual elements add strongly to both the sense of suspense and lingering dread.

For example, we have:
1. A seemingly normal, countryside town far away from the big cities. But, even at day, it looks like a gloomy ghost town because hardly I could see any living soul outside their homes.

2. The archetypal Japanese middle-school (or high-school) compound facility host to long and foreboding hallways and creepy classrooms.

3. The background music denotes an effective feeling of madness and ethereal haunting.

4. The fact that save for Kouichi, everyone else and even the students behave with bizarre mannerisms when questioned or asking questions; there's a cat in the bag, as they're explicitly hiding something from Kouichi.

5. Last, but not least, Mei who is another quintessential embodiment of the supernatural in flesh. Properly dressed in her school uniform, abnormal white skin, black pearl hair, a ruby-blood right eye, and a sinister patch that covers her left eye.

If the opening started the show with a thorough account about Mei Misaki's tragic death from 24 years ago prior to the storyline, this means the Mei that Kouichi sees and the Mei of the urban legend are one and the same.

Nobody else at class can't see her except Kouichi.

Class-3 does P.E. session aside from the other classes, and various points throughout the episode either the teachers or the classmates address class-3 as separate from the other classes.

What I also like it makes for an effective narrative trick that the adults' faces are never shown when addressing the protagonists.

Important pieces thrown:
1. Kouichi meets Mei in Yomiyama Hospital inside the elevator, and she's holding a doll and goes to the second basement level to deliver something to her other half.

My Speculations
The opening for this show showcases strongly dolls and mannequins looking alike to lifeless corpses.

I believe Mei kept something nasty inside the doll she was carrying, and wherever direction she was heading in the second basement level of the hospital, this was the boiler room as shown in the sign, either she was going to get rid of it or her other half might be kept down there; her corpse, perhaps? or somebody's else?

2. Kouichi notes that on his first day of school later at P.E. Sakuragi comes with his right ankle bandaged, and what's more is that Akazawa was absent the whole day.

My Speculation
Maybe Sakuragi hurt her ankle in a domestic accident at home, or I hope that's it.

But, Akazawa absent when virtually the rest of the classmates are present could indicate three scenarios:
- Akazawa fell sick,
- Akazawa sort of suffered a mishap at home and got injured,
- Akazawa died from a freaky accident.

3. Kouichi sees Mei again at the rooftop and later questions if she recalls at all meeting him in the elevator at the hospital.

My Speculation

Either Mei is playing fool with Kouichi denying everything or she forgot.

But, since Kouichi's Mei actually is the Mei who has been dead 24 years ago, speculation proposes on me that her time of her recollection with Kouichi in the elevator got rewinded.

What's more is that something nasty is going to happen, which is possible that someone is going to die, as Mei ominously told Kouichi not to get close to her and see her anymore. What he would be looking for soon he would find out.

FlareKnight
2012-01-10, 01:21
You know what the teacher said about everyone graduating in good health? I couldn't help but notice that health (or rather the lack of health) seems to be prevalent. The MC had a collapsed lung. The twintails girl was off sick. The freckles guy had a heart condition. Glasses girl had a sprained ankle.. Some of those students looked really pale. The building looks really worn down. And finally there's Misaki and that eye patch. There seems to be a curse going on.Yeah that's one thing that definitely stood out. A line like that about health and then seeing the numerous conditions that seem to be going on in that class. Then you just have everyone acting strangely and clearly having something they are keeping hidden.

Definitely a first episode that sucks you right in. Should be interesting to see how things proceed from here. At any rate think the dad is the lucky one to be cooking in India far away from this story :).

AzureWrath
2012-01-10, 01:36
Aha, I always wonder why my parents told me it was bad luck to give 4 offerings to my deceased ancestors instead of 3. It's pronouced the same, but the word/character is different.

I guess I should mention that this is actually a pretty serious superstition in Asian culture (at least I can testify for Chinese culture). I may have passed it off too lightly. Just talking about death at all is frowned upon since it leads to bad luck.

Endless Soul
2012-01-10, 01:45
OK, I'm a little late to the party, but I finally had a chance to see this. The OP a bit annoying, and yet creepy, so it did it's job of setting the mood, and what a mood this episode has. Very quiet, not very lively at all, and yet it has your complete attention, as if you feel that you'll miss something important.

Also, I agree with what someone said a couple pages back. It seems as if a curse has fallen over the school and the surrounding area. Multiple health issues among the students. Run down campus, etc.

The level of detail is quite nice. I also thought the scene where Saka...er...I mean Kouichi passes Mei in the car was executed nicely.

I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if this was addressed already. Did anyone else notice the arrangement of the classroom? Column 1: Girls. Column 2: Boys. Column 3: Girls. Column 4: Boys. Column 5: Girls. I wonder if this has something to do with what's going on, whether planned or coincidental. I haven't seen this type of arrangement in a anime classroom before.

Endless "Morgue---->" Soul

Cosmic Eagle
2012-01-10, 02:29
The OP makes me feel as if I was watching Rozen Maiden again :heh:

Other than that, not bad first ep, although the roof scene could have been improved.

Chaos2Frozen
2012-01-10, 02:31
Other than that, not bad first ep, although the roof scene could have been improved.

I suppose they could Shaft-it-up....

Cosmic Eagle
2012-01-10, 02:38
I suppose they could Shaft-it-up....

No no, I mean....

Insert in the bits with the superstitions

Maybe they will in a later ep though.

EroKing
2012-01-10, 03:16
http://i.imgur.com/OhQGT.jpg (http://imgur.com/OhQGT)
So this desk is supposed to be over 26 years right?

Also I wonder if there's a connection between Misaki and Kouichi's mom's death.

DragoonKain3
2012-01-10, 03:39
Meh, unlike other people here, I found that the episode was too short. The 'hook' ain't there yet, and if it wasn't for the awesome art and eerie atmosphere, I'd already label this a dud. Guess it's mainly the problem with the episode format... everything was stellar quality, but just looking at it plot-wise, all I'm asking at the end of the episode is "so what? that's it?"

Cosmic Eagle
2012-01-10, 05:06
Meh, unlike other people here, I found that the episode was too short. The 'hook' ain't there yet, and if it wasn't for the awesome art and eerie atmosphere, I'd already label this a dud. Guess it's mainly the problem with the episode format... everything was stellar quality, but just looking at it plot-wise, all I'm asking at the end of the episode is "so what? that's it?"

The real shit doesn't begin to happen until further in....these stories all build gradually before exploding at a certain point.

Ami-chan
2012-01-10, 06:30
Okay, I call it. By the end of this series, there's gonna be people stalking him or something, and we're gonna find out because the parrot's gonna be learning some new words xD. Also, the hospital visit in the beginning really reminded me of Higurashi for some reason.

Chaos2Frozen
2012-01-10, 06:34
The real shit doesn't begin to happen until further in....these stories all build gradually before exploding at a certain point.

It would be delusional to expect otherwise.

Kismet-chan
2012-01-10, 06:38
I'm the only person on the face of this planet that likes the OP, lmao. Guess I'm a diehard AliPro girl to the end. :heh: (Although I DO very much agree that it doesn't fit the show.) I dislike the ED. Sounds boring and forgettable, which is super disappointing since I was looking forward to hearing new work from out of annabel. Oh, well. (At least it actually sounds appropriate to the show in that, as someone said earlier, it gives us a bit of hope for a possibly happy ending, if not a bittersweet one.)

Will watch the actual episode later.

ThereminVox
2012-01-10, 07:00
The efficiency displayed by the other students during lunch in misdirecting the transfer student when he started sniffing a little too close to where the bodies were buried was the moment I bought in. I love that moment in suspense stories. It reminds me of Higurashi, and Rena's curt, too-quick "shiranai."

I admit that I spent a good portion of the episode playing "guess the horror trope" with the various quirks and imagery that were touched upon. Honestly, that's part of the fun of a mystery, though; the guessing.

The "health" related oddities are going to be worth keeping an eye on. Someone who actually knows medicine can correct me, but aren't collapsed lungs usually associated with physical trauma, or injury? I wonder if it's relevant that his father specifically mentions that he had it happen twice.

"Insular little town with secrets" can work wonders for a mystery if it's carried off right, and so far, Another has it down to an art. The class reps visiting early on came off as sinister, but the end of the episode flips the script, and implies that they're the ones who are afraid of him.

Cosmic Eagle
2012-01-10, 07:20
I'm the only person on the face of this planet that likes the OP, lmao. Guess I'm a diehard AliPro girl to the end. :heh: (Although I DO very much agree that it doesn't fit the show.) I dislike the ED. Sounds boring and forgettable, which is super disappointing since I was looking forward to hearing new work from out of annabel. Oh, well. (At least it actually sounds appropriate to the show in that, as someone said earlier, it gives us a bit of hope for a possibly happy ending, if not a bittersweet one.)

Will watch the actual episode later.

I like the OP too....just that it's more suited to some Victorian themed gothic....

It would be delusional to expect otherwise.

And boy does it explode....

Haak
2012-01-10, 07:22
The "health" related oddities are going to be worth keeping an eye on. Someone who actually knows medicine can correct me, but aren't collapsed lungs usually associated with physical trauma, or injury? I wonder if it's relevant that his father specifically mentions that he had it happen twice.

I'm guessing the collapsed lung in this case is Primary Spontaneous Pneumothorax which has no known cause but family history and the male gender are risk factors. There's also Secondary Spontaneous (caused by an underlying lung disease) and Traumatic (the one you're thinking of). MeoTwister can give a better answer...

But yes i also think that piece of information is relevant. Imo I think the collapsed lung in this case isn't hereditary in the genetic sense...

KyriaL
2012-01-10, 07:23
The way the entire 'feeling' of the town reflects the genre well. The darker tones of the animation and the background music used are well suited to the show's mysterious and dark atmosphere.

And I have to say that by the end of the episode, I started 'reminiscing' about past horror movies and shows and guessing how this new one will play out.

Jerseykid
2012-01-10, 07:32
Maybe it's just the order I am watching things in but thank goodness we have something serious this season.

MeoTwister5
2012-01-10, 07:38
Haven't had time to watch the show dammit due to duty and crazy ass patients, but anyway...

Without a history of trauma or an underlying lung disease yes it's primary spontaneous pneumothorax. I've seen two cases of it since I started clerkship and both had no history other than it suddenly happening. One of the main primary theories is that genetic mutations causes weakness in the tissues of the lung visceral pleura, making the surface tissue of the lung more susceptible to rupture during the stretching effects of respiration, but of course I don't think they've found that gene yet.

Anyway I'll catch up with the show later tonight and I'll maybe try to explain what medical conditions they have.

casval cehack
2012-01-10, 08:33
This reminds me of "Fragile" and the Thai film "Seeing Ghost" in its haunting style. Very good episode as expected of P.A. Works.

Kakkou
2012-01-10, 09:16
Count me in the camp that actually likes the OP lol. I don't like the sequence though. Even if the song wasn't too fitting, the sequence could have made it better. So far only the Rozen Maiden staff and Beetrain have been able to make good use of an AliPro song imo.

Well that aside, the first episode was good, if not lacking in the animation department. The visual quality and music was top notch and the atmosphere good, but the doll transition cuts feel like they're trying a bit too hard to make things eerie.

The mystery itself has been established well enough, with a lot of hints that nothing is right and a very big secret is being kept from Kouichi. As unsubtle as it was presented, it felt necessary. Here's to hoping the rest of the buildup and revelations will be worthwhile and accompanied by some good horror scenes that are well, actually horrifying.

-Sho-
2012-01-10, 09:18
I like the dark atmosphere. The art is great and detailed. Story seems interesting. And i like the fact that the classmates looks differents & detailed.

Silvance
2012-01-10, 09:24
Okay, I call it. By the end of this series, there's gonna be people stalking him or something

I won't be surprised if that does happen considering the really strange behavior of those students. :heh:

Also, anyone else noticed that the adult female characters looked so young? The character design for this series is just gorgeous. To be more precise, I'm referring to the aunt and the assistant homeroom teacher. >.<

wandering-dreamer
2012-01-10, 10:50
Hmm, I'm not as taken with the show as everyone else seems to be but I'll give it another few episodes to see if I warm up to it. I do have a theory though, what if Mei Misaki isn't actually a ghost but instead each class three in the ninth grade chooses one person to sit in the dead girl's seat/be ignored at them like she really is a ghost to keep the girl's memory alive? The aunt did hint that the facade didn't end after graduation and this would be keeping with the tone of the series thus far.

MeoTwister5
2012-01-10, 11:05
Wow not a single ray of sunshine in this pilot, and it even looks like smiles are a rare and limited commodity. Everyone's faces looks so glum and sullen, the men look downright anemic, the women look like they've been having a period for more than 2 months, the voices are so hushed you'd think someone would get the firing squad for speaking out loud, and those dolls creep me the fuck out.

Just the way I like it. I think it's probable now that the thin red line between sickness and death is one of, if not, the central focus of the story

king12354
2012-01-10, 13:40
What's Chihiro doing in this show? Well I guess she would fit right in because she has a condition as well.

ookamigirl
2012-01-10, 14:03
Kouichi met Mei.
The whole thing just had such a weird vibe.
At least his new classmates were friendly.. up to a point.
I will be watching this one.
Looks very interesting!

xizro345
2012-01-10, 15:19
Seems interesting from what I see. However in these kind of works the screenplay can kill or let the show live, so I'll see how it develops. Only negative for me, ALI project doing the OP.

Saturn Beaver
2012-01-10, 16:30
Echoing what everyone has said, they did a great job making the atmosphere creepy - a bit too good perhaps, after a while I think they might be laying it a bit too thick. It's not bad or anything though, and I like the more subtle touches they have as well. Lots of things are already mentioned that I won't bother repeating them, but I want to highlight the Sakakibara family situation.

Obviously it's going to be important, what's with Mei's warning at the end and all, but I like how much of his family is still shrouded in mystery as well. One thing I probably missed though, did they mention how long ago has it been since Kouichi's mother passed away, and how did she die? Because it seems like it's been quite a while, yet the Grandpa is still obsessing over it - to the point where even the parrot starts repeating after him. Also, another trivia that may or may not be important - the aunt says that she went to the same school 14 years ago, so it's very possible that she was around Kouichi's age now when her sister is pregnant with Kouichi.

DXMichael
2012-01-10, 16:30
I'm hoping this creepiness continuous. Being chased around in a highschool at night by...something, sounds interesting by my standards. A few deaths here and there are what i'm expecting when Kouchi continues to hassle and disturb what the other student are trying so hard to ignore.

Julio C
2012-01-10, 17:18
Damm, this premiere exceeded my expectations, and it's probably the best one this season. The production quality is outstanding. There was so much detail in each classmate as if they were part of the main cast.

Call me crazy, but I think everybody is already dead or about to died at some point. The whole class is just weird and the fact that its being treated differently from the other classes raises some questions.

I'm going to make this my night show, just before my bedtime.

AbZeroNow
2012-01-10, 19:40
Just watched this. I liked the beginning where they set up the "urban legend" and showed a lot of interesting images that just flashed by. Then the OP hit.

The OP was easily the worst thing in this episode, and my only complaint about it. It was purely Narm, and didn't fit the mood at all.

Liked the hospital details. It added a touch of realism, and Noizi Itou always does great work with the designs. The BGM actually fit the mood, as I felt creeped out at least a few times during that episode, especially Mei's walk down the basement corridor.

It feels like people want to fill in Kouichi on some of the details of whatever happened in the village, but they don't. Certainly, the meganekko girl's reaction to Kouichi seeing Mei is telling that something very bad happened.

The teacher's line about "in prime health" felt like foreshadowing. Then finally, Mei's talk with Kouichi on the roof felt like she was angry that nobody has told him yet about whatever the secret is. Was she warning him away because the class might harm him or was she trying to keep him out of it because he's innocent?

Bad heart guy's conversation with Kouichi made me see death flags for him. Wishing that he could know what it feels like to run is a very very bad thing to say in a horror show.

Finally, seeing that Mei has the same uniform as everyone else makes me wonder. If she's a ghost, does that mean that middle school has uniforms that are stuck in the 70s. Yikes.

I give this episode a 8.5 out of 10. The OP was just bad and that subtracted points for me.

Kaioshin Sama
2012-01-10, 19:43
Compently told story and clearly established tone and themes spotted in first episode :twitch:

djmaca
2012-01-10, 19:57
Standard Japanese horror: Introduce you, tell a yarn then creep you out...

I like it XD

Scarletknive
2012-01-10, 20:44
It's an psp game right? Is it really that scary?:eyebrow:

Go try out the game, if you have a PSP.:heh:

Silverwyrm
2012-01-11, 00:27
Ok I'm a fan now I love shows like this, also i liked the of or the record, though right away it gave me a rozen maiden feeling from the sound. I'm not good with music, but are the two ops (musically) related?

Anyways, I loved the awkward feelings int his ep, when they were in his hospital room you could really feel it, then his introduction to he class....the dead silence seemed to go for so long without anyone moving an inch or batting an eyelash.

djmaca
2012-01-11, 00:48
Ok I'm a fan now I love shows like this, also i liked the of or the record, though right away it gave me a rozen maiden feeling from the sound. I'm not good with music, but are the two ops (musically) related?

Anyways, I loved the awkward feelings int his ep, when they were in his hospital room you could really feel it, then his introduction to he class....the dead silence seemed to go for so long without anyone moving an inch or batting an eyelash.

LOLZ, you would notice everyone was passing signals around and were trying NOT TO look at the window side seat behind the class. Whether they knew about the ghost or curse or whatever or they know the MC's mom has something to do with Mei's dead, supposing she IS dead, all their actions are a total giveaway.

octoberasian
2012-01-11, 02:00
I learned something after watching the first episode: Do not watch this late at night!

The deadpan music, the quite and still classroom, the dark hallway of the morgue...

First episode in and it's already making me think: This is how a horror anime should be done right.

There are so many things to notice in this first episode:

- Camera panning on all the classmates during lunchtime as if hinting-- "one of these will not make it to the last episode."

- As GuardianEnzo mentioned on RandomC: Hearing only the grandparent's voices but not seeing their faces.

- Misaki visiting her "other half" in the morgue! (Combined with that creepy piano music.)

- The voice of what may be Kouichi narrating from the start of the episode as if this whole series is a flashback of what transpired in 1998.

- The beat up desk that Misaki sits in.

- The fact that classmates fall ill or injured including Kouichi right before class starts raises a red flag.

- Misaki saying that the class is close to death.

- The last name Sakakibara seems to draw ire among the student council since they were incessantly curious whether he lived there before or not.

- The father's pneumothorax having healed completely after leaving for India. The mother having died some kind of really dire death.

- The ED sequence showing the classmates (in normal clothing) fade in and Misaki (in a hot red dress) the only person outside, but fading out towards the end...

My friend and I want to know whether Misaki is either dead or alive. I'm going for "dead."

And this too:
LOLZ, you would notice everyone was passing signals around and were trying NOT TO look at the window side seat behind the class. Whether they knew about the ghost or curse or whatever or they know the MC's mom has something to do with Mei's death, supposing she IS dead, all their actions are a total giveaway.

I noticed that also.

A lot of things seem to be wrong or out of place, and I'm curious now what's going to happen next. Even I'm asking: "Who's going to die now?"

The whole hospital scene in the elevator felt like a scene out of Silent Hill or Paranormal Activity or The Grudge.

God, I love it when Japan does horror-- they really know how to scare you, or make you feel scared.

Nochgo
2012-01-11, 02:51

Yes, they are both by the same group, ALI PROJECT. Personally, most of their songs (especially the more recent ones) are a bust for me, though there were few rare jewels that I really liked, such as the themes from Rozen Maiden. One of their songs, 'pastel pure' is one of my favorite anime themes, which happens to go completely against their customary dark-themed tunes. The one in this anime is actually is a turn for the better; I didn't skip the OP :heh:.

And it looks like we will finally have a proper horror anime after so long. Lets see if PA will deliver. And as usual, Itou Noichi's characters are pleasing to the eyes.

octoberasian
2012-01-11, 03:16
And it looks like we will finally have a proper horror anime after so long. Lets see if PA will deliver. And as usual, Itou Noichi's characters are pleasing to the eyes.

Yup, a long time coming. Like I told my friend, I've been aching for a good horror for quite a long while, something along Higurashi's level or better.

I'm crossing my fingers and hope PA Works will not let me down. The first episode was a great start. Somehow I regret watching it at night still, I have to get to bed since I work tomorrow. :uhoh:

TaroYamada
2012-01-11, 06:55
Another move version will be released in this summer!
But i guess anime one is always better than movie one...
http://image.eiga.k-img.com/images/movie/56033/original.jpg?4253
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Onlie shop www.soukou-japan-trading.com (http://www.soukou-japan-trading.com)
Facebook Fan page: http://www.facebook.com/soukou.japan.trading
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TaroYamada15
Otaku Report (blog): http://soukou-japan-trading.blogspot.com/

Cosmic Eagle
2012-01-11, 07:41
Yup, a long time coming. Like I told my friend, I've been aching for a good horror for quite a long while, something along Higurashi's level or better.

I'm crossing my fingers and hope PA Works will not let me down. The first episode was a great start. Somehow I regret watching it at night still, I have to get to bed since I work tomorrow. :uhoh:

Well there's Tasogare Otome next season although that is more mystery...

spawnofthejudge
2012-01-11, 09:03
A bad OP and ED can kill a show for me, and this is the show of the season that is in danger of this death. The OP is inappropriate for the show, and just plain bad. The ED is merely forgetably average.

On the plus side, the atmosphere is nailed. And awkward conversations are chuckle-worthy. I like the establishment of characters so far, and I also like the whole THERE'S SOMETHING THEY'RE NOT TELLING HIM obviousness. I merely am afraid of a passive protagonist now, as with such an obvious cover-up going on, not challenging them on it would be entirely too lame.

I'll be skipping the OP from here on. Which I never do. But the show seems just strong enough to get me over that personal peeve.

Qikz
2012-01-11, 09:51
I had no idea what this was when I started watching it and I'm glad I didn't watch it late at night, god that was creepy o_O

Utsuro no Hako
2012-01-11, 10:16
Another move version will be released in this summer!
But i guess anime one is always better than movie one...
http://image.eiga.k-img.com/images/movie/56033/original.jpg?4253

Clean, pressed shirts. Well groomed hair. Door that looks like ti came straight from Home Depot (or Japanese equivalent). Did everyone involved with the great J-Horror films of the '90s die?