View Single Post
Old 2010-03-18, 00:20   Link #1488
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
No. Minami is a Tsundere. She uses violence to conceal her affection- and is generally a person with a temper towards everyone. Nor does she even adopt a Yamato Nadeshiko persona ever.
Shouko on the other hand is only violent towards her love interest (or rivals for that love interest). She fits the "Love makes you crazy" part of Yandere.
Ever seen Minami suplex anyone other than Aki? Nope, she only does it on him, much like the same way Shouko tasers only Yuuji.

In any case, Yandere ONLY harms their rivals for love, never their actual LI. Heck, vast majority of the time (if not all the time), its those rivals that are the cause of their mental instability. Shouko, like Minami, only hurts their LIs but don't even do anything to their rival-in-loves, which is essentially the anti-thesis of yandere.

I mean, look at...

Spoiler for list of people in which people are in general agreement who went Yandere:

These are examples of behaviour that exhibit Yandere... being mentally unstable against their rivals, but being dere for their LI.

Quote:
Of course if you say that Yandere requires a concealment of those crazy tendencies behind a Yamato Nadeshiko exterior, then perhaps I can understand why you exclude Shouko. However, it is probably more accurate to say that Shouko went Yandere a long long time ago, and so her Yandere-ness was revealed previous to the start of the show- which is why her Yandere ways are open and obvious instead of being concealed. (Although even now Shouko still occasionally puts on a Yamato Nadeshiko surface.)
Nah, being Yamato Nadeshiko has nothing to do with it.

You're misunderstanding the term Yandere. Yandere is made up of two words (or so I'm told by my JP friends). Yan for being insane, and Dere for being 'lovey dovey'. While Dere can be a lot of things, it's Yan (or mental instability) we're interested in, because its what sets the archetype apart from stuff like Tsundere.

And is Shouko mentally unstable? Despite her extreme ways, there is NOTHING in the series to even hint that this is the case. Every thing she has done, she knew exactly what she was doing (keeping a taser in order not to let Yuuji run away), she knew perfectly well the consequences of her actions (intenionally failing her test to be in detention with Yuuji), and sometimes even planned her actions ahead of time (the whole date episode). All of these exhibit that there is nothing wrong with her state of mind at all.

If the character is not mentally unstable, then she can not be yandere in the first place. And once you start ignoring this CRUCIAL part of the term Yandere, then you're going to encompass characters like Minami and Shouko as Yandere when they're anything but.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote